50 Massachusetts Ave NE
Washington, DC 20002Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.arkrestaurants.com/
- Phone: 2026829555
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch and Dinner served
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
A word from America
The only 50-star restaurant in D.C.! With its sweeping views of Capitol Hill, there could hardly be a more perfect setting for this celebration of regional American cuisine than historic Union Station.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
America reviews from OpenTable diners
- America to Close on Oct. 29, 2011OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/28/2011We had a so-so lunch at America. A sign at the entrance informed patrons that the restaurant would close on October 29, 2011. A new restaurant will appear in its place on the ground floor. The waitstaff didt know what would become of the two upper levels of America restaurant.Special Features:
- I planned a family dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/22/2011I planned a family dinner for both sides of bride and groom-to-be. The location was stunning as most of us had never been in Union Station. The American menu options were good and able to please our crowd of 22. We had a lovely server who did a great job, though I wish the restaurant provided her with more help to take drink orders and appetizers to get the evening started. We were on the second floor. The lighting was very bright. We were seated in a long row so it was difficult to communicate with anyone beyond 4 seats. Not much elbow room.Special Features:
- They do have a gluten freeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/21/2011They do have a gluten free menu ! It feels like you are dining outdoor, but actually you are inside in a train station.Special Features:
- America is a perfectly fineCGNNYCVIPDined on 10/17/2011America is a perfectly fine place if you have to dine in Union Station. Felt that the entrees were a bit over priced, but the wine was a good bargain.
- Great D.C. Dining & ConvenientOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/16/2011America is located in Union Station in D.C. It is convenient for meeting people as Union Station is accessible on the Red Line. It is also a nice blend of classy/casual with a great variety of dishes from all over the U.S. The food is fantastic too. A great spot to enjoy great food in our Nation's Capital.Special Features:
- Great lunch time expereince!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/14/2011Our occassion was a send off for a co-worker that was re-locating to take another position. Our reservation was for 12:15 pm, we were promptly seated and our server came right over. The meal was very good, the atmosphere was great, and the staff was attentive. It was a great experience!Special Features:
- The food was ok. NothingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/12/2011The food was ok. Nothing bad just ok. The ambience on the second floor was little stark and white. It could use a little cozying up.Special Features:
- not impressed at all withfoodiewannabeDined on 10/8/2011not impressed at all with America. Food was okay -- nothng to write home about and service so-so. server could have been more attentive.
- Very friendly staff even thoughLuvromanceDined on 10/7/2011Very friendly staff even though it was very busy. Good food.Special Features:
- Nice, moderately priced foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/4/2011Nice, moderately priced food in Union Station. Not the highest-class place, but a definite step up from Mc Donalds or other fast food places.Special Features:
- A night on the townOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/23/2011The resturant does an excellent job of integrating itself into the ambience of Union Station where it taKes advantage of the architectural accents. America gives you that personal touch from the moment you step onto the property. On this occasion, I had a surprise dinner for my daugther"s sweet 16th birthday. The staff worked with me to get flowers delivered to their table. TheyAmerica's also made sure that everyone was take care of and America's staff was familiar with the menu. The dinner portions were very tasteful, plentiful, and attractively attractively arranged. Although we were seated on.the second floor overlooking the Shops, we enjoyed glancing at the Capitol building in the background. They also have outdoor seating.Special Features:
- The restaurant was good; however,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2011The restaurant was good; however, several in our party were left waiting more than 10 min for their food after everyone else was served. Several others food was cold when it should have been hot. Overall it was a good experience and I would go there again.Special Features:
- very nice atmosphere- highchilemomVIPDined on 9/20/2011very nice atmosphere- high ceilings in union station- had to reject 3 tables until they got it right tho food was nice-burger-pasta style casual overall enjoyable just not a special evening out place
- DO NOT ORDER CHICKEN, THEDEBBIEDined on 9/12/2011DO NOT ORDER CHICKEN, THE CHICKEN TENDERS HAVE A WEIRD FLAVOR, LIKE CHICKEN IS OLD, BEEN AROUND AWHILE, AND THE CHICKEN POT PIE WAS O.K. BUT SOMETHING ABOUT THE SAUCE WAS NOT RIGHT.Special Features:
- A touristy spot in Union Station.GGD100VIPDined on 9/8/2011A touristy spot in Union Station. Convenient but that's about all.Special Features:
- America does NOT have outdoorOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/2/2011America does NOT have outdoor seating as they advertise. A small drink menu and moderate tasting food make me think this place survives on tourists that don't know about other excellent food options in DC.Special Features:
- Sadly, I'm unable to giveBroSoseDined on 8/17/2011Sadly, I'm unable to give America a glowing review. Food was was nothing to write home about and the service was just ok.
- Waiter forgot our appetizersOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/13/2011Waiter forgot our appetizers and empty wine glasses were left for the entire meal. The food was good though. It is a good spot if you have to meet up at Union Station.Special Features:
- America - Not what it use to be . .Tablevibes1Dined on 8/13/2011America was my first NYC intro to restaurant in the early 90's. It was great back then. The menu was well planned and pointed out the different places in the USA which the dishes are known for. That extra touch is gone from this current menu. The food back then was very very good. The food was just fair with this DC visit. Today America seems to be a mere fraction of it's self. The food was just fair. We went there because we had a large party which not all restaurants handle well. For a Sat. night there where very few people there, which says a lot. It's interesting that all these words reflect the conscious of the American society today - When and how will it transform it self in to something new and better it the question?Special Features:
- We come here everytime weOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2011We come here everytime we visit DC - great spot and if you eat on the top floor - great view of the capitol. Menu has alot of choices and we are never disappointed.Special Features:
- Service suffered but food was fine.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/7/2011We were visiting D.C. and looking for a place that was kid friendly and in Capitol Hill. The location is great. Unfortunately, the service we received was not great. The hosts seemed surprised to have someone with an Open Table reservation and they had to look it up in another room. We were showed into the bar area (not crowded and nice enough). Our waiter ended up covering as bartender too, so he was unable to check in with us when some small things were needed (more water, ketchup for kid's meal). We asked our waiter, the bus boy and the manager for these things. The menu was broad enough to suit our entire family. Our food was fresh but not special. OK place if you're in Union Station and need a reasonable place to get sit-down dinner.Special Features:
- Huge menu but the food wasbeckDined on 8/2/2011Huge menu but the food was fair at best. We had a nice view of Union Station.Special Features:
- Dinner for four; two adults,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/30/2011Dinner for four; two adults, two kids. Very broad and eclectic menu reflecting American regional tastes. Good quality, great variety, moderately priced. Excellent service, prompt, well-trained, friendly without being too fraternal. Reservation was honored exactly on time.Special Features:
- great food!!!! Very poor service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/21/2011great food!!!! Very poor service. We waited over 15 minutes before anyone came over to hand us a menu & get our drink orders.Special Features:
- Nice and relaxing brunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/17/2011Nice and relaxing brunch. We were visiting with friends,from out of town, so it was nice that we were not rushed. There is an excellent menu selection. We all enjoyed our different meals. The restaurant is in a corner at Union Station,but is not noisy when eating inside rather than at the outside tables.Special Features:
- We had Will as our bartenderKat50VIPDined on 7/13/2011We had Will as our bartender and waitor; he is fantastic. Very people oriented, professional and always smiling. Upon getting there Yolanda greeted us and made sure our visit to America was great!Special Features:
- Great food and great value.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/9/2011Great food and great value. The waiter was very attentive.Special Features:
- Good service and food selectionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/8/2011Good service and food selection more than ample. Noisy location in Union Stsation main concourse. Ihad not eaten there in awhile but would go back again.Special Features:
- I made a reservation for myOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/25/2011I made a reservation for my Mom, husband, and I when she was in town visiting. No one even came to the hostess station. A woman just gestured at us and pointed to a table and walked away. Off to a great start. I asked her if we could sit upstairs because we requested that since it was a special occassion. She informed me the upstairs was closed and walked away. We sat down reluctantly and was then served bread and water by 2 people who spoke zero english. We were fed up so we left. We didn't eat there and I don't ever plan on going back.
- The outdoor tables are inOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/25/2011The outdoor tables are in the Union Station atrium, so might be a bit noisy. Inside is better for holding conversations. The food was very good -- very fair prices and large portions.Special Features:
- First time there. EnjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/23/2011First time there. Enjoyed food. Good menu selection. Wait staff a bit slow considering lunch time crowd was not too bad. Would go again.Special Features:
- We had a new waiter who clearlyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/20/2011We had a new waiter who clearly had very little experience. The service ws slow, inattentive and borderline incompetent. The food was fair, standard American. It had been touted as a place with a scenic view. It was nice to eat in Union Station, but it was not a scenic view.
- The worse experience and foodSecretMagnoliaVIPDined on 6/20/2011The worse experience and food that I have ever had.
- The restaurant use to be inOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/19/2011The restaurant use to be in Tyson’s Corner a long time ago. I think it was that memory that made me decide to give it another shot. Unfortunately it was very good, service was mediocre at best. Will not return in the future and definitely will not recommend to others.
- This was the worst ice attended...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/16/2011This was the worst ice attended... In previous visits it's been better serviceSpecial Features:
- Very interesting menu. GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/13/2011Very interesting menu. Great kids menu. Beautiful location in Union Station. Sat outside the restaurant in the lobby area-great for people watching. Unique dining experience.Special Features:
- Great when guests are in town.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/11/2011Great when guests are in town. Lots of people watching to do.Special Features:
- Being that this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/5/2011Being that this restaurant is attached to a busy train station, it doesnt lend itself for romantic settings, but for a loud boisterous group, its ok.
- Let's start with the positive-OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 6/3/2011Let's start with the positive- the restaurant layout itself is very nice. There are multiple seating areas that offer very different experiences (from the tables in the crowded station area to the quieter upper level with the lovely views). There is also a very large menu that has something for everyone's tastes. Now on to the negative- the food! I should have suspected when I saw how large the menu was, but of the three meals we ordered, none of it was quality food. A lot of the food was obviously stored frozen (and not reheated well). We ended up with a lot of dry/bland french fries and overcooked fish. The server tried his hardest, but was MIA for a lot of our meal. Luckily we did not need a lot from him..Special Features:
- A generic restaurant-bar inPaulDined on 5/31/2011A generic restaurant-bar in Union Station. Everything is fine, but only barely. And be aware if you ask the waiter for something - it's a long walk to get water, food, silverware.Special Features: