22 W. 8th St
New York, NY 10000Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: 2125332962
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday: 11am to 12am, Monday : 5:00pm - 12:00am, Tuesday- Thursday 11:30am to 12am Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00am
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Provencal, French, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Weekly events
A word from Amelie
With its euro-chic décor, sensual lighting and "the best bar music in the city," Amélie bar has changed the way good wine is enjoyed and consumed. Patrons appreciate the generous pour, the low turnover of the staff, the international flair, and the great choice of good wines at fair prices.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerTapas / Small Plates
Amelie - Best Restaurants in West Village ›
Amelie reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
notable wine list (77)fit for foodies (68)neighborhood gem (59)romantic (46)vibrant bar scene (39)hot spot (37)special occasion (35)good for groups (22)late-night find (21)great for brunch (13)great for lunch (11)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Enchanting placelovelyplaceDined on 10/25/2014Not only the place is beautiful.. Food and service are outstsndingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GOOD TAPAS IN WEST VILLAGE1KTravelerVIPDined on 10/25/2014Although the restaurant accepted my Opentable reservation at 11:30pm, I arrived to find the kitchen had closed for the evening. They did serve me a cheese and charcuterie plate which was very good. The wine selections were nice and paired well with the food offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great date spotChocolaterain72Dined on 10/23/2014I've been here a couple of times. Always a fantastic experience. A great place for a first date, with a phenomenal happy hour. The pistachio goat cheese is off the chain. The service isn't super attentive. But not in a bad way. Whenever you need attention or need something cleared, someone is there to do it, and when not they stay out of your way. Just a great place.Special Features:
- eating4thesoulDined on 10/23/2014Food was moderate but nothing that I will be really see myself going back for.Special Features:
- Anniversary CelebrationRuvyGDined on 10/20/2014Came here for my anniversary, which I noted in my reservation. When we came in, Jacques, the manager for that evening, congratulated us and set us up with the table of our choice. Our waiter, Juon, was also congratulatory. When we started thinking about what we wanted to eat, Juon has recommendations and opinions which I always appreciate in a waiter. The cheese plate was awesome and massive, and came complemented with endless crispy French baguettes. The wine we had was spot-on. We both had the fish but were already too full to finish. Dessert was excellent as well and came with two complementary glasses of champagne. Highly recommended for awesome ambiance, excellent staff, and great food.Special Features:
- Excellent French BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2014We were a party of 5 celebrating a birthday. Really nice food. Favorites of the night were the steak tartar, flat bread pizza, escargot, duck confit, banana creme brulee and chocolate mousse. Great location. Would definitely return. A great valueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In need of fois gras and wineNattyDined on 10/18/2014My parents were in from California (where fois gras is banned in restaurants) so I took a lot of time and consideration to the French restaurant we had to go to and found Amelie. IT WAS PHENOMENAL Great service and wine, excellent fois gras and shockingly affordable given the delicious menu, packed reservation list and cozy ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday DinnerAtlfoodieDined on 10/17/2014Had a 7:45 reservation, seated immediately. Unfortunately, no one came to our table for about 10 minutes. The host noticed this and took our drink order. After about another ten minutes, I flagged a guy down and asked if he was our waiter and he said no, but that he would take care of us. Our food was delicious and the cheese the waiter recommended was some of the best I've had. Even though the night began rocky, I was happy overall with the food and wine at Amelie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall ExcellentEileenDined on 10/17/2014Wonderful evening with friends and family, service was exceptional, and the food was fantastic!Special Features:
- Great for quick meal in villageGourmet007VIPDined on 10/15/2014We stopped here before an event at NYU. We didn't have time for a complete dinner so we ordered salads and wine which was substantial and tasty. We will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZINGMelissaSheawaseDined on 10/5/2014My friends and I went here for the first time for my birthday. Benjamin was our waiter and I have NEVER had such an amazing experience. He had endless knowledge on the cheeses for the cheese platter but also for wines and cocktails. He was so incredibly passionate and friendly and welcoming that we were for certain that he was the owner, only to find out that he was the newest member of their staff. The food and drinks were fabulous and Benjamin was certainly the ICING on the cake. It was an unforgettable experience and we will DEFINITELY be returning!! Thank you so much for an amazing birthday dinner!Special Features:
- Great little Bistro & Wine BarNYC4HDLDined on 10/4/2014We had a reservation, and arrived 5 minutes early. All tables were full, but there were bar seats. Was seated about half-way through a glass of wine (less that 10 minutes)... Very tight table spacing, and a high noise-level... Great wine list. with a lot of selections by the glass, and some very nice bottles. Very eclectic menu (be sure to ask about the specials)! Accommodating and welcoming service -- all-in-all, a great experience. ...and we will have to come back (perhaps on a slower night) to sip wines, and try more of the menu!Special Features:
- I love this restaurantDarlingDined on 10/3/2014great place to eat like you are in France. the service is excellent. the owners/bartenders are great, they recommend food that can be pair with excellent wine selection. price is okay, but it can add up.Special Features:
- New favorite spot!ang3lwingsDined on 9/28/2014It was my first time there and I went with a date. The ambiance was nice with a great selection of wine. We ordered a bunch of appetizers and they were all amazing! I especially loved the goat cheese, so good!! Definitely will go back again!Special Features:
- Stellar Customer ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/25/2014Our waiter brought over our food in about 10 minutes flat with a recommend bottle of wine to boot. He was kind, informative, funny and wasn't intrusive at all. He checked in at perfect times and made sure we had a great time. Thanks so much!! Will definitely come again.Special Features:
- Small cozy deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014This place is a little gem near Greenwich Village and the staff there are all French and incredibly friendly. I brought my girlfriend and she speaks French so the waitstaff was very enthusiastic about making us feel comfortable by helping her improve her French as well as teaching me a few words. The food was fantastic and came at the right moments. Wine list is extensive and they have great recommendations. Would come back with a group of friends for more fun!Special Features:
- Was better the first timeJulesDined on 9/20/2014I came here a few months ago with my boyfriend for dinner and we fell in love with the place! The food was amazing, most notably the mussels, so we decided to bring our friends here. The mussels this time were not as great (a lot of them were still closed, so were pretty disappointing). The service was also a bit slow, especially for us to get the bread and starters. I'd still come back, and hopefully the next time will be more like the first time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingDisappointingDined on 9/17/2014Went here with a group of four. While the wine list is solid and well priced, the place is cramped and we didn't love the food. The crostini's were too crunchy and the chicken liver mousse had a bit too much wine for our tastes. The "flatbread" of the flatbread pizza was a super thin cracker, barely able to hold the toppings, and with almost no added flavor. The service was friendly and the prices aren't terrible, but I'd go somewhere else for food in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- one word? awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/15/2014food, drinks, service - all excellent, will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TrendyVillageFaveDined on 9/14/2014We dined here for our wedding anniversary. Saturday night had no reservation openings, so we went on a Sunday evening for an early dinner at 6:30pm. The restaurant was already hopping, but there were open tables. The bartender seated us in a nice window seat and the service was prompt and friendly after that. My husband devoured the mussels and trout. He soaked up the broth from the muscles with good chewy baguette. I had the Amelie salad, which was fresh and lightly dressed in truffle oil vinaigrette. We drank a crisp, dry Riesling. The wait staff was excellent and very friendly. Speak French with them is you want some added fun. The noise level came form happy conversationalists.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Remember Paris!mlbdinesoutDined on 9/13/2014My sister and I went to this French restaurant in part because menu included escargot and creme brulee. We were not disappointed with either. My salmon and her duck were also very tasty. We each had a wine flight -- one champagne, one white and one red -- a nice accompaniment to the meal. The staff was attentive and helpful. Definitely would go here again, but would hope they'd turn the music down for early diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French spotprinmelDined on 9/10/2014Great food, great wine, great service. Everything here is outstanding, will definitely stay in my list of hotspot to goSpecial Features:
- LadyDined on 9/9/2014This was our second visit. My only "dislike" would be that it is extremely noisy -- difficult to communicate with dining partner. However, despite the noise -- we came back because the food is so great. We were again quite delighted with the food. Wonderful carrot ginger soup,. My husband had a beet salad and said it was the best beet salad he has ever had (and he has had many beet salads!!) We will go again!Special Features:
- good for happy hours onlychelchelVIPDined on 9/5/2014table is to tight to each other, music too loud, hard to hear people talk. food is so so.Special Features:
- Poor service and tables too closeMoodyfoodieDined on 9/1/2014The service wasn't that great there was only one person serving. Tables were too close to each other very crampedSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2014Great french restaurant! Truly french! Awesome food, great ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nglaDined on 8/31/2014The waiter Jonathan was superb. Gave us excellent choices for wine, always attentive, friendly and professional. Food was delicious. We are not 'large dinner" folks but rather like an array of tapas. Filled but not full. Definitely would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodArepa74Dined on 8/30/2014I absolutely love the food I have had at this restaurant each of the four time I have been there. Brook trout delicious. Ceviche delicious. Pork delicious. Grilled octopus delicious Plus some very funny owners and waiters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LadyDined on 8/26/2014Great food. Enthusiastic friendly service. Noise level was high especially with a large table of young ladies celebrating a birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodDarlingDined on 8/23/2014It was a nice restaurant but I felt like they were rushing me. They def know their wine. I truly recommend it. I wish it was lil bit quieter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A San Francisco Gem in the VillageCB1944Dined on 8/20/2014If Amelie were my student I'd give her an A+! What a fun place! Delicious food, a most welcoming staff , attentive service, and a wide choice of excellent wines. We went for an early dinner, arriving in time for Amelie's "happy hour" which offers flights of their great wines and yummy small plates at very reasonable prices. Our meals ( we split the Amelie salad and had the filet and the duck) were perfectly prepared and presented. Without doubt, this San Francisco institution has found a second home in NYC. Lucky us!Special Features:
- Chique and FreshBlueKleenexxDined on 8/19/2014The food at this restaurant was amazing, as was the ambience. I felt like I was in France, and the wine was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing brunch too!TereVIPDined on 8/17/2014never fails to impress us! food and service absolutely delicious and now all our friends love it!Special Features:
- MaggieDined on 8/15/2014The happy hour was amazing, and the bartender Oliver was awesome. The wine flights were not only large, but they weren't the typical wines, you could choose any from the entire menu. The foie gras was out of this world, and included during happy hour. My friend and I also split the chicken liver mousse and we would absolutely get it again.Special Features:
- Wine & DineOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014Amazing. Extensive wine list, with great happy hour special from 5pm to 7pm for a flight of any 3. Service was phenomenal -- my water glass was never empty, our bread bag (they serve slices of perfect baguette baked with a crispy crust and a soft inside in a bag) refilled before we even finished, we were never rushed once. Wine was great, food was great, service was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice 10th AnniversaryTereVIPDined on 8/6/2014As usual, wonderful food, wine and great service. Not even a hesitation when my husband said let's go for our 10th wedding anniversary! we always love this place.Special Features:
- Lovely BrunchPattonEmDined on 8/2/2014We attended Amelie last saturday for brunch and it was a lovely experience. The food was really tasty and the staff extremely polite and attentive. The bottomless Mimosa's were also a big plus!! I had the scrambled eggs with merguez sausage, which I would definitely recommend, followed by the banana creme brûlée - also gorgeous. Overall, I recommend a trip to Amelie, we will be going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Menu and VarietyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Recently dined at Amelie and the food was simply amazing. Everything we had was excellent. The staff at the restaurant were kind, attentive and thoughtful as well. One of the best restaurant experiences I've had in years. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gem and WINEFleacynoVIPDined on 7/31/2014So many great things about this place. The wine happy hour flights and apps can't be beat. I don't mean 3rd rate wines, but every wine on the extensive wine list is available in a pour (3 for 10). All of the wait staff are knowledgeable and friendly in that Mediterranean way. Food is good too. Dinner entrees are a bit pricey but brunch is a fabulous bargain. Live music too!Special Features:
- We loved itUWSmumDined on 7/25/2014I came here to have a good catch up with my girlfriend. The food was great, lots of small bites and the wine was fantastic. We will definitely be coming back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.