22 W. 8th St
New York, NY 10000Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: (212) 533-2962
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday: 11am to 12am, Monday : 5:00pm - 12:00am, Tuesday- Thursday 11:30am to 12am Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00am
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Provencal, French, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Weekly events
A word from Amelie
With its euro-chic décor, sensual lighting and "the best bar music in the city," Amélie bar has changed the way good wine is enjoyed and consumed. Patrons appreciate the generous pour, the low turnover of the staff, the international flair, and the great choice of good wines at fair prices.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerTapas / Small Plates
Amelie - Best Restaurants in West Village ›
Amelie reviews from OpenTable diners
127 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
notable wine list (89)fit for foodies (75)neighborhood gem (65)romantic (54)hot spot (46)vibrant bar scene (41)special occasion (40)late-night find (29)good for groups (26)great for brunch (15)great for lunch (10)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Cozy and yet hip.AlliedearestDined on 11/22/2014Amelie has become my favorite Saturday evening stop with friends. The happy hour is a great way to start things off before wading into the more serious eats and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There's Better and WorseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014We only shared small plates, there were some hit and misses. The salad with bacon and a fried egg was great! The table was not set when we were seated and they gave us the wrong salad, manager seemed irritated by our requesting the correct salad which annoyed us considering he insisted on not writing down our order, then proceeded to ask us our order twice more throughout the evening. Prior to bringing out the incorrect salad he surprised us with three toasts which he said were on the house, upon getting our bill we noticed he charged us for one the "free toasts." Considering it was only $3.00 more we decided to pick our battles and let it go. Very loud, close seating, but fun because it is a "hot spot" and its being over crowded suggests it is a popular restaurant. The couple next to us told us their entrees were incredible. If I was to go back I would opt for an entree after hearing their reviews, rather than split several small plates, but I do not feel the urge to rush back any time soon.Special Features:
- foodiesVIPDined on 11/21/2014This is such a gem that I hesitate to share the location of this place. This is a perfect local hangout place, and thats why it is always packed. The staffs are very friendly and attentive. The food is outstanding at a reasonable price. This will stay on my fav restaurant list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, wine and share platesRebeccaKDined on 11/20/2014We loved the service, most friendly and helpful waiter ever! The wine and cheese were fabulous. There was a nice variety in the selection of share plates and they were tasty. A group of us went after 10 and got a great table in the back with plenty of privacy and room to spread out. The decor and music were more NYU bar scene than upscale but that made it a bit more fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome find!DvS1VIPDined on 11/18/2014Everything we ordered was prepared perfectly. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful with wine and food recommendations. I can't say enough good things about this place. The steak tartare was uniquely flavored without straying too far from the French standard. The escargots melted in your mouth. We ordered three entree and split everything. The pork was perfect. The filet, fantastic. The trout, terrific! You must eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!HfergyDined on 11/15/2014The service was impeccable and the food was delicious! Beautiful decor and excellent ambiance:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little place!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/15/2014I brought my boyfriend here for his birthday. It's kind of romantic, but the tables are too close together. However, the staff moved us to a corner table where we had more privacy and they brought the desert out with a candle and sang Happy Birthday to my boyfriend. The food was really great and the staff is friendly and pleasant. I will definitely come back here for another occasion or just for dinner and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very AccomodatingStevoDined on 11/13/2014Took my girlfriend here for our two year anniversary. George took care of us, I placed an order of flowers and had it delivered to the restaurant. He placed it on a private table in the back. Food was amazing. The goat cheese and the duck confit with two orders of the wine flight was good enough for us. We were on a time crunch and made it out within an hour and a half with time for the creme brulee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable!TuffcrowdDined on 11/11/2014Yes the seats and tables are a bit cramped, but the food and service absolutely make up for this small inconvenience in every way. Very lively spot. Food was delicious . Four of us shared four tapas and three entrees and wine of course, and had no room for dessert! The waiters were friendly and helpful, bringing us each wine samples as we each tried a different type of wine . All were delicious . Food and wines are well priced considering the quality af the meal! Would definitely recommend, and hope to visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and ServiceJakobDined on 11/7/2014Went there for my wifes 30th birthday celebration and everything was spot on! They even provided a complementary dessert with lit candle as well as singing happy birthday. Ad to that exceptional good food and wine at very reasonable prices and you have a winning concept. Would recommend anytime.Special Features:
- Cozy AtmosphereMausiDined on 11/4/2014Originally we wanted to only stay for Happy Hour but we stayed on for dinner. We just didn't want to leave. The manager, it was on Nov 4th on a Tuesday, I think his name is Jo???? - he is from Barcelona - was so amazingly attentive. He had a glass of bubbly for all 7 of us and even crème caramel for me for my Bday. All was complimentary. So sweet. The service is phenomenal: quick, attentive and nice with a French touch. The "cheese balls" are to die for and the wine comes in beautiful glasses and well filled. There is no difference in service or glasses for Happy Hour. It is amazing for only $8. If you haven't been there - go check it out TODAY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect french bistroLauraDined on 11/2/2014I am french so to find the right spot can be difficult but not anymore. Amélie has real french food, the cheese, the charcuterie, the desert, the Wine, entrée everything feels like home and all that for à good price. Do not hesitate go there. L'un des meilleurs restaurant français de New YorkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for our groupwehocloseDined on 10/29/2014We made a reservation for six of us for dinner. The place was great. Delicious food and a very very good value.Special Features:
- Enchanting placelovelyplaceDined on 10/25/2014Not only the place is beautiful.. Food and service are outstsndingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GOOD TAPAS IN WEST VILLAGE1KTravelerVIPDined on 10/24/2014Although the restaurant accepted my Opentable reservation at 11:30pm, I arrived to find the kitchen had closed for the evening. They did serve me a cheese and charcuterie plate which was very good. The wine selections were nice and paired well with the food offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great date spotChocolaterain72Dined on 10/23/2014I've been here a couple of times. Always a fantastic experience. A great place for a first date, with a phenomenal happy hour. The pistachio goat cheese is off the chain. The service isn't super attentive. But not in a bad way. Whenever you need attention or need something cleared, someone is there to do it, and when not they stay out of your way. Just a great place.Special Features:
- eating4thesoulDined on 10/23/2014Food was moderate but nothing that I will be really see myself going back for.Special Features:
- Anniversary CelebrationRuvyGDined on 10/20/2014Came here for my anniversary, which I noted in my reservation. When we came in, Jacques, the manager for that evening, congratulated us and set us up with the table of our choice. Our waiter, Juon, was also congratulatory. When we started thinking about what we wanted to eat, Juon has recommendations and opinions which I always appreciate in a waiter. The cheese plate was awesome and massive, and came complemented with endless crispy French baguettes. The wine we had was spot-on. We both had the fish but were already too full to finish. Dessert was excellent as well and came with two complementary glasses of champagne. Highly recommended for awesome ambiance, excellent staff, and great food.Special Features:
- Excellent French BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2014We were a party of 5 celebrating a birthday. Really nice food. Favorites of the night were the steak tartar, flat bread pizza, escargot, duck confit, banana creme brulee and chocolate mousse. Great location. Would definitely return. A great valueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In need of fois gras and wineNattyDined on 10/18/2014My parents were in from California (where fois gras is banned in restaurants) so I took a lot of time and consideration to the French restaurant we had to go to and found Amelie. IT WAS PHENOMENAL Great service and wine, excellent fois gras and shockingly affordable given the delicious menu, packed reservation list and cozy ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday DinnerAtlfoodieDined on 10/17/2014Had a 7:45 reservation, seated immediately. Unfortunately, no one came to our table for about 10 minutes. The host noticed this and took our drink order. After about another ten minutes, I flagged a guy down and asked if he was our waiter and he said no, but that he would take care of us. Our food was delicious and the cheese the waiter recommended was some of the best I've had. Even though the night began rocky, I was happy overall with the food and wine at Amelie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall ExcellentEileenDined on 10/17/2014Wonderful evening with friends and family, service was exceptional, and the food was fantastic!Special Features:
- Great for quick meal in villageGourmet007VIPDined on 10/15/2014We stopped here before an event at NYU. We didn't have time for a complete dinner so we ordered salads and wine which was substantial and tasty. We will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZINGMelissaSheawaseDined on 10/5/2014My friends and I went here for the first time for my birthday. Benjamin was our waiter and I have NEVER had such an amazing experience. He had endless knowledge on the cheeses for the cheese platter but also for wines and cocktails. He was so incredibly passionate and friendly and welcoming that we were for certain that he was the owner, only to find out that he was the newest member of their staff. The food and drinks were fabulous and Benjamin was certainly the ICING on the cake. It was an unforgettable experience and we will DEFINITELY be returning!! Thank you so much for an amazing birthday dinner!Special Features:
- Great little Bistro & Wine BarNYC4HDLDined on 10/4/2014We had a reservation, and arrived 5 minutes early. All tables were full, but there were bar seats. Was seated about half-way through a glass of wine (less that 10 minutes)... Very tight table spacing, and a high noise-level... Great wine list. with a lot of selections by the glass, and some very nice bottles. Very eclectic menu (be sure to ask about the specials)! Accommodating and welcoming service -- all-in-all, a great experience. ...and we will have to come back (perhaps on a slower night) to sip wines, and try more of the menu!Special Features:
- I love this restaurantDarlingDined on 10/3/2014great place to eat like you are in France. the service is excellent. the owners/bartenders are great, they recommend food that can be pair with excellent wine selection. price is okay, but it can add up.Special Features:
- New favorite spot!ang3lwingsDined on 9/28/2014It was my first time there and I went with a date. The ambiance was nice with a great selection of wine. We ordered a bunch of appetizers and they were all amazing! I especially loved the goat cheese, so good!! Definitely will go back again!Special Features:
- Stellar Customer ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/25/2014Our waiter brought over our food in about 10 minutes flat with a recommend bottle of wine to boot. He was kind, informative, funny and wasn't intrusive at all. He checked in at perfect times and made sure we had a great time. Thanks so much!! Will definitely come again.Special Features:
- Small cozy deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014This place is a little gem near Greenwich Village and the staff there are all French and incredibly friendly. I brought my girlfriend and she speaks French so the waitstaff was very enthusiastic about making us feel comfortable by helping her improve her French as well as teaching me a few words. The food was fantastic and came at the right moments. Wine list is extensive and they have great recommendations. Would come back with a group of friends for more fun!Special Features:
- Was better the first timeJulesDined on 9/20/2014I came here a few months ago with my boyfriend for dinner and we fell in love with the place! The food was amazing, most notably the mussels, so we decided to bring our friends here. The mussels this time were not as great (a lot of them were still closed, so were pretty disappointing). The service was also a bit slow, especially for us to get the bread and starters. I'd still come back, and hopefully the next time will be more like the first time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingDisappointingDined on 9/17/2014Went here with a group of four. While the wine list is solid and well priced, the place is cramped and we didn't love the food. The crostini's were too crunchy and the chicken liver mousse had a bit too much wine for our tastes. The "flatbread" of the flatbread pizza was a super thin cracker, barely able to hold the toppings, and with almost no added flavor. The service was friendly and the prices aren't terrible, but I'd go somewhere else for food in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- one word? awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/15/2014food, drinks, service - all excellent, will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TrendyVillageFaveDined on 9/14/2014We dined here for our wedding anniversary. Saturday night had no reservation openings, so we went on a Sunday evening for an early dinner at 6:30pm. The restaurant was already hopping, but there were open tables. The bartender seated us in a nice window seat and the service was prompt and friendly after that. My husband devoured the mussels and trout. He soaked up the broth from the muscles with good chewy baguette. I had the Amelie salad, which was fresh and lightly dressed in truffle oil vinaigrette. We drank a crisp, dry Riesling. The wait staff was excellent and very friendly. Speak French with them is you want some added fun. The noise level came form happy conversationalists.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Remember Paris!mlbdinesoutDined on 9/13/2014My sister and I went to this French restaurant in part because menu included escargot and creme brulee. We were not disappointed with either. My salmon and her duck were also very tasty. We each had a wine flight -- one champagne, one white and one red -- a nice accompaniment to the meal. The staff was attentive and helpful. Definitely would go here again, but would hope they'd turn the music down for early diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French spotprinmelDined on 9/10/2014Great food, great wine, great service. Everything here is outstanding, will definitely stay in my list of hotspot to goSpecial Features:
- LadyDined on 9/9/2014This was our second visit. My only "dislike" would be that it is extremely noisy -- difficult to communicate with dining partner. However, despite the noise -- we came back because the food is so great. We were again quite delighted with the food. Wonderful carrot ginger soup,. My husband had a beet salad and said it was the best beet salad he has ever had (and he has had many beet salads!!) We will go again!Special Features:
- good for happy hours onlychelchelVIPDined on 9/5/2014table is to tight to each other, music too loud, hard to hear people talk. food is so so.Special Features:
- Poor service and tables too closeMoodyfoodieDined on 9/1/2014The service wasn't that great there was only one person serving. Tables were too close to each other very crampedSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2014Great french restaurant! Truly french! Awesome food, great ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nglaDined on 8/31/2014The waiter Jonathan was superb. Gave us excellent choices for wine, always attentive, friendly and professional. Food was delicious. We are not 'large dinner" folks but rather like an array of tapas. Filled but not full. Definitely would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.