22 W. 8th St
New York, NY 10000Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: 2125332962
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday: 11am to 12am, Monday : 5:00pm - 12:00am, Tuesday- Thursday 11:30am to 12am Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00am
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Provencal, French, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Weekly events
A word from Amelie
With its euro-chic décor, sensual lighting and "the best bar music in the city," Amélie bar has changed the way good wine is enjoyed and consumed. Patrons appreciate the generous pour, the low turnover of the staff, the international flair, and the great choice of good wines at fair prices.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerTapas / Small Plates
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Amelie - Best Restaurants in West Village ›
Amelie reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
notable wine list (67)fit for foodies (53)neighborhood gem (52)vibrant bar scene (40)romantic (36)hot spot (32)special occasion (24)good for groups (19)late-night find (18)great for brunch (15)great for lunch (13)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014The waiter Jonathan was superb. Gave us excellent choices for wine, always attentive, friendly and professional. Food was delicious. We are not 'large dinner" folks but rather like an array of tapas. Filled but not full. Definitely would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014I absolutely love the food I have had at this restaurant each of the four time I have been there. Brook trout delicious. Ceviche delicious. Pork delicious. Grilled octopus delicious Plus some very funny owners and waiters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LadyDined on 8/26/2014Great food. Enthusiastic friendly service. Noise level was high especially with a large table of young ladies celebrating a birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014It was a nice restaurant but I felt like they were rushing me. They def know their wine. I truly recommend it. I wish it was lil bit quieter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A San Francisco Gem in the VillageCB1944Dined on 8/20/2014If Amelie were my student I'd give her an A+! What a fun place! Delicious food, a most welcoming staff , attentive service, and a wide choice of excellent wines. We went for an early dinner, arriving in time for Amelie's "happy hour" which offers flights of their great wines and yummy small plates at very reasonable prices. Our meals ( we split the Amelie salad and had the filet and the duck) were perfectly prepared and presented. Without doubt, this San Francisco institution has found a second home in NYC. Lucky us!Special Features:
- Chique and FreshBlueKleenexxDined on 8/19/2014The food at this restaurant was amazing, as was the ambience. I felt like I was in France, and the wine was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing brunch too!TereVIPDined on 8/17/2014never fails to impress us! food and service absolutely delicious and now all our friends love it!Special Features:
- MaggieDined on 8/15/2014The happy hour was amazing, and the bartender Oliver was awesome. The wine flights were not only large, but they weren't the typical wines, you could choose any from the entire menu. The foie gras was out of this world, and included during happy hour. My friend and I also split the chicken liver mousse and we would absolutely get it again.Special Features:
- Wine & DineOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014Amazing. Extensive wine list, with great happy hour special from 5pm to 7pm for a flight of any 3. Service was phenomenal -- my water glass was never empty, our bread bag (they serve slices of perfect baguette baked with a crispy crust and a soft inside in a bag) refilled before we even finished, we were never rushed once. Wine was great, food was great, service was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice 10th AnniversaryTereVIPDined on 8/6/2014As usual, wonderful food, wine and great service. Not even a hesitation when my husband said let's go for our 10th wedding anniversary! we always love this place.Special Features:
- Lovely BrunchPattonEmDined on 8/2/2014We attended Amelie last saturday for brunch and it was a lovely experience. The food was really tasty and the staff extremely polite and attentive. The bottomless Mimosa's were also a big plus!! I had the scrambled eggs with merguez sausage, which I would definitely recommend, followed by the banana creme brûlée - also gorgeous. Overall, I recommend a trip to Amelie, we will be going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Menu and VarietyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Recently dined at Amelie and the food was simply amazing. Everything we had was excellent. The staff at the restaurant were kind, attentive and thoughtful as well. One of the best restaurant experiences I've had in years. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gem and WINEFleacynoVIPDined on 7/31/2014So many great things about this place. The wine happy hour flights and apps can't be beat. I don't mean 3rd rate wines, but every wine on the extensive wine list is available in a pour (3 for 10). All of the wait staff are knowledgeable and friendly in that Mediterranean way. Food is good too. Dinner entrees are a bit pricey but brunch is a fabulous bargain. Live music too!Special Features:
- We loved itUWSmumDined on 7/25/2014I came here to have a good catch up with my girlfriend. The food was great, lots of small bites and the wine was fantastic. We will definitely be coming back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!YumyumDined on 7/21/2014My husband and I went there on a recent trip to New York and were so thrilled with the fantastic food and atmosphere! We loved the goat cheese and flatbread appetizers the best! Fantastic atmosphere and food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In love with the chefpleoDined on 7/21/2014Love the appetizer menu. Duck is very difficult to make, but Amelie does a very good job - will return again and again.Special Features:
- Amelie.....Awesome!Dog2LawDined on 7/20/2014My wife and I had a great time. Place is a perfect neighborhood wine bar, not too big nor too small. Most seating perfect for two to four...but they also had some larger tables. Who would have ever imagined a French restaurant and staff could be so incredibly friendly, helpful, and fun! Seriously the staff made for a memorable good time. Get there before 7pm so you can start with the Happy Hour prices on the wine flights, order the cheese/sausage platter to start, then order some of the tapas and your done! We had the mussels, stuffed dates, and of course some Pomme Frites with 3 flights....and we were ready for takeoff. Thanks, I look forward to our next visit to NYC just to have another relaxing evening at Amelie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic classic French cuisineWhereTheFrenchLocaksGoVIPDined on 7/20/2014Just like I was in Paris! Even the French nationals frequent this place thanks to its try French cuisine authenticity. Bien fait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect AfterWork Drinks & NibblesMiaKateDined on 7/17/2014The Lyonnais owner opened this restaurant with a style based on the film "Amélie", and the film's slight quirkiness of the film perfectly describes the restaurant's funky atmosphere. When we arrived, the bar was buzzing due to the 'happier hour' that lasts until 7. You can order 3 glasses of any wine on the list for $10 - and it's a great list. The bread was some of the best I've had since Paris. The menu is short and simple, but well crafted with tasty French specialties. The dishes we had were delicious, made with quality ingredients. Definitely order the flatbread to start. The steak tartar was good, topped with an egg yolk. However, I have had better. Small and cozy, the restaurant was completely packed by the end of the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amelie is a gem!SydneyinNYCDined on 7/10/2014What a great place! Went here for dinner. Spectacular food - particularly the "appetizers" and "salads". The Salade Amelie I could eat every night! The wine flights are fun and a good way to taste an assortment of wines. The "entree" are good, but don't standout as much as the other parts of the menu. I would opt for extra "appetizers" instead. Yes the place is loud, but cosy and totally enjoyable! I would happily visit here every fortnight. We left feeling well fed, buoyant and joyful! Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for an anniversaryClc9860Dined on 7/10/2014The entire staff treated us incredibly well, and went out of their way to make our anniversary very memorable. It was a wonderful dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/6/2014This bistro is getting better and better, or rather staying the same wonderful place it was since day one some two and a half years ago. Hard to improve, maybe the menu could change more frequently, but whatever they serve is terrific.Special Features:
- A foodies delightPurplePumpDined on 6/30/2014We found Amelie through its reviews on Yelp and it did not disappoint! There were four of us and the table was a little cramped but they timed the food well to make the space work. The wine selection was extensive and we were in time for the happy hour wine flight. You get to pick ANY THREE wines off the wine list and you get a small glass of each for $10. The food was also amazing. The escargot ($6) was covered in this delicious parsley-garlic pesto. The pistachio crusted goat cheese ($10?) came on a bed of honey and caramelized onions; it was sweet and creamy. I got a salad with arugula, smoked salmon, whipped cream cheese, and a light vinaigrette that was light and flavorful. Would definitely recommend this place for a night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best happy hour deals!thefoodiepatrolVIPDined on 6/30/2014I am hestitant to share how much I love this place because then everyone will run there! Happy hour flight of three wines for $10. The wait staff is very wine savy and there are many choices. The nut crusted goat cheese ball on top of carmelized onions is worth the trip to the gym after as well as the pomme frites (very authentic) . My honey and i always share a few small plates like the mussels or the salad with the fried egg on top. There is a young creative vibe to the place with lots of languages flowing from different tables. If you like feeling like you are at a bistro in paris ( without the attitude) this is your place. But.. save a table for meSpecial Features:
- Great findTessKDined on 6/30/2014was looking for a French restaurant not too far from work (Soho) to take an out-of-towner to. We got there just as they opened and glad that we did. This place fills up QUICKLY! I'm sure part of this is the happy hour specials on wine flights as well as healthy glasses of wine for $6. Plus great good and great service. Very glad I discovered this and I will be back (knowing that I need to get there early) :)Special Features:
- rachaelDined on 6/26/2014Service at the restaurant was great. We had a table for 6, and half our party had arrived 30 minutes earlier than our reservation, and they were nice enough to seat us anyway. Our waiter was attentive and went the extra mile. Very good food and wine for very reasonable prices, and they have a great happy hour. Also, it is not too loud so you actually get to hear each other talk without having to yell. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerameliabedeeeliaDined on 6/20/2014Came in for my birthday dinner with a group of friends. Had a reservation for 6 people but had to wait to be seated because some of my party was late getting out of work. It was a bit crowded and there wasn't really a place for us to wait...but once we were seated it was just a lovely experience. The service was spot on (he even made sure to get us as many rounds in at the happy hour price as he could), the food was great and came out quickly, and the wine list is so extensive it will probably take you at least 10 minutes to figure out what you want to drink. Also, they were playing the world cup games--definitely an added bonus. It was just a lovely dinner and I will definitely be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst french food ever!SummerDined on 6/15/2014Have no idea where the high ratings/good reviews came from. Went to dinner on a Sunday night, it was pretty empty. The tables were not cleaned properly, ordered the duck leg and a flatbread and they were the worst things I have ever eaten. The duck leg was dripping in fat cold, and stale, the mushrooms and potatoes that came with it were warmed up in a microwave. The flatbread was also cold, the ingredients kept falling off it, they put way too much tomato sauce on it. Just horrible food overall.Special Features:
- Amazing3happyguestsDined on 6/1/2014I always love going to Amelie. The food is to die for, the service is fabulous and the wine choices?? Incredible!! It's always a wonderful experience. It's one of the best places I've ever been.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WastingfoodisasinVIPDined on 5/31/2014Great 3 glasse happy hour flights for only $10! Enjoyed tasting of glass wines. Liked steak tartar and foie gras. Smoked salmon salad was also nice.Special Features:
- lunch with a friendStackDined on 5/29/2014Amelie is a great neighborhood spot with a terrific wine list and excellent service. they also have the best French bread I've had in New York. Attentive service without being overbearing. I would recommend for lunch,dinner,cocktail with a snack-all around good. And the prices are fair tooSpecial Features:
- RealDealDined on 5/25/2014This was the first time my husband and I and our friends ate here. The appetizers--escargot; mussels; pate w/toast were tasty and the entrees-- filet mignon; pork medallions; duck leg; special salad were also very good and enjoyed by all with some red wine. We finished the meal with a delicious crème brulee with banana and strawberries which we shared with espresso. We had an early dinner appointment but as the restaurant filled up it got noisier. As it was the Memorial Day weekend, we were all able to find street parking which saved us parking expense.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome placePeg4Dined on 5/22/2014Great happy hour deals and great food ! 3 wines for 10 bucks! The goat cheese ball was amazing. The escargot was ok not a fan of the sauce. I had the trout and loved it as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little gemWestVillagePugDined on 5/18/2014Came here for my birthday and we got the back table. Staff were attentive and nice. I'd highly recommend for a group brunch. Bottomless mimosas were great too. Really good value. Would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and winejustGaryDined on 5/17/2014Our party of three had a good time at Amelie which had been recommended by a friend for brunch. We went for dinner and found the noise level made it somewhat difficult for conversation. The French waiters were quite charming and accommodating. We'd ordered white instead of red wine by mistake, and they allowed us to change to red even after the glasses of white had been poured. We had 3 different appetizers, all of them very good. I had a cod-mashed potato puree which, as strange as it sounds, was delicious. My companions had a goat cheese ball rolled in pistachio nuts (good) and a unique pate. Two of us had delicious trout for a main course (a little cool when served), and one had pork medalions, tasty but slightly overcooked.Special Features:
- Great Wine and FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/16/2014The service here is excellent, the staff very friendly and attentive in spite of the very busy environment and the fact that it's French. Even with a healthy New York crowd of people waiting to be seated, we were not pressured to hurry through our meal. The food was very good and came promptly - at a very reasonable price as well. My friends and I each got an entree and wine for around 35 before tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great happy hourthefoodiepatrolVIPDined on 5/13/2014$10 happy hour wine flight was super! don't even think about leaving without trying the goat cheese pistachio ball. like a set from a cool indie movieSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AmbianceRocketeerDined on 5/11/2014Went here for Mothers Day. Excellent atmosphere with a sophisticated crowd. The service was exceptional and attentive the brunch menu was interesting, the place obviously has a strong French influence and I do love Paris. I had the eggs Benedict with smoked Salmon which was very good. Well proportioned with a nice fresh salad accompaniment. Good Wine selection ...enjoySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 275 reviews are from the Amelie reviews archive.
- Ridiculously noisyRussellDined on 5/4/2014We went here for a light bite and conversation. But the noise level was oppressive. We left after a few minutes.
- Busy night, good atmosphereLaurenDined on 4/30/2014A friend and I went to Amelie on a Wednesday night and sat in a corner table. It was very nice and the food and wine were enjoyable, but the service wasn't very attentive.Special Features: