Amelia's Italian Cuisine
235 S. Main Street #107
Gainesville, FL 32601Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Amelia's Italian Cuisine
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ameliasgainesville.com/
- Phone: (352) 373-1919
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 1:45pm
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:30pm
Hours May Vary -- Please make a reservation to ensure availability!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Andy Fass
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Depending on availability, our Tuscan Rose Room can accommodate your party of up to 45 people.
- Private Party Contact: Andy Fass 352-373-1919
- Entertainment: Wednesday Nights: Live Jazz with Gary Swanson Duo! 6-9pm
- Special Events: We do not accept reservations through OpenTable for New Years Eve, Valentine's Day, or UF Graduations. Please call us directly at 352-373-1919 for these special events.
A word from Amelia's Italian Cuisine
Gainesville's Finest Italian Cuisine for over 20 years! Located downtown in the Sun Center (Behind the Hippodrome). New (September 2007) Chef/Owner Andy Fass brings Amelia's back to its roots with top quality food, service, and ambiance. Nightly food and drink specials to complement the extensive Northern Italian cuisine menu selections. View our menu online at www.ameliasgainesville.comContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Amelia's Italian Cuisine - Best Restaurants in Gainesville ›
Amelia's Italian Cuisine reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (43)romantic (33)neighborhood gem (32)fit for foodies (21)good for groups (20)great for outdoor dining (16)notable wine list (13)great for lunch (3)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- KayakingNonnaDined on 11/20/2014We found Amelia's on trip advisor. Really difficult to find partly because Main Street was closed but mostly because hidden inside other buildings. Don't give up. We had a fabulous dinner. The owner is also the executive chef and a sax player who roamed the floor whenever he had a free moment. Three guests were celebrating birthdays while we were there. He played happy birthday on the sax which was so much better than having waiters sing. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable, Friendly, Lively DiningBokononDined on 11/19/2014The owner-chef has made this place a favorite of many locals who have become regulars because of his attention to details at each table, the serving team he has created, and the quality of the food he prepares. Very good sauces, soups, and salads complement excellent main courses. The seafood (fish, lobster, shrimp, clams) are at the top of our family's first-choice list. The atmosphere is further enlivened by music on Wednesday evenings. Although this restaurant can be challenging for intimate, quiet conversation, it is sensational for small to medium groups of people who want to get into a celebrative mood and enjoy themselves in a relaxed, respectful, but very friendly setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceBertKDined on 11/8/2014Amelias did not disappoint. They met all of my expectations. The setting is quaint, comfortable and romantic. The service was prompt and endearing. The best part of our experience was wonderfully delicious food, I can not rave enough.Special Features:
- Great food, mediocre serviceJ0ey4realDined on 11/7/2014We didn't get our entrees until approximately 1 hour since we sat down however, the food was worth the wait. The decor looks a little out of date and the wait staff was kind and courteous. I would recommend this place but based solely on the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinningragweedVIPDined on 11/7/2014The food was delicious, great ambiance and service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okJustokDined on 10/30/2014We had to sit inside and the ambiance just wasn't there. We ordered a bottle of wine and appetizer. The waitress seemed good, but then our salads came out and no appetizer. The main courses were very good. I just don't know if it is worth going to the restaurant just for main course. The wine was a super up-priced bottle we get at publix instead of something that we normally don't find here.Special Features:
- Date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014Brought a girl here for her 21st birthday as a romantic gesture, awesome choice! Great food, staff and service. My date loved it and the chef came out and introduced himself made sure we were comfortable and our food was good. He also gave my date free dessert for her birthday.Special Features:
- Family dinnerEFFBDined on 10/24/2014Great Service, not so great food: the waitress saved the day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Repeat visitLovesEatingDined on 10/19/2014I went for lunch with work companions and enjoyed so much, I asked for the same dish in the evening. Although it wasn't on the dinner menu, the chef agreed to make the dish. It was outstanding. Highly recommend for both lunch and dinner. Wait-staff are very friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- Recent VisitTOMW1Dined on 10/19/2014This was our third visit to Amelia's when we travel through Gainesville. Each visit has been exceptional. Food is outstanding, as is the service and atmosphere. Great wine list. A special thanks to our host Andy Fass, and thanks to our server, Alex.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Special OccasionsHippDinerDined on 10/18/2014Amelia's Restaurant is a great place to celebrate a birthday. Besides having delicious food, the deserts are even better! As a special treat, Andy, the owner/chef, plays "Happy Birthday" on his saxophone while the server brings you a special desert with a candle in it. You really get personal attention at Amelia's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Football and FriendsJessDined on 10/17/2014We had a wonderful dinner and visit in downtown Gainesville. Finding Amelia's was a bonus to the visit. It sits in a quiet part of downtown; however, you feel right in the middle of the action. The food was very good and the wine was enjoyable!Special Features:
- Birthday letdownBocaMom3Dined on 10/17/2014My family took me to Amelia's for my birthday because of the great show they put on for your birthday (sax playing and singing). Dessert came and everyone started looking at each other (I had no idea). My husband asked what happened to the show and the waitress looked stunned-apparently the hostess forgot to tell her. She felt very badly and brought out a candle and stuck it in some crumbs left on a plate and started singing. She really, really tried but it was awkward to say the least. The food was very good but the back room got really loud when it started to fill up.Special Features:
- As alwaysvictoriafmVIPDined on 10/11/2014My first time in Amelias was 15 years ago. It was owned by an italian chef and was very good. We moved from Gainesville and came back for the game. We went to Amelias again, it was bought for another chef and now it is excellent. Good italian food, the best in Gainesville by far.Special Features:
- TOMW1Dined on 10/2/2014AWESOME; SECOND VISIT DURING OUR TRAVELS. bOTH TIMES WE HAVE BEEN VERY PLEASED WITH THE RESTAURANT.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantChrismarcheDined on 9/28/2014The whole experience was great, from being seated right away to the chef and owner coming out to ask us about our visit and how the food was. It is a very quiet atmosphere with great waiters and waitress's. I will be returning to this restaurant the next time I am in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HippDinerDined on 9/27/2014We have been eating at Amelia's Restaurant for several years. The food is always consistently delicious and the service is excellent. You will never be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Amelia's!BellDined on 9/25/2014We have never had a bad meal. The food is incredible, the staff is wonderful and the Chef takes his time to great every table. We highly recommend this restaurant to everyone and anyone that loves genuine Italian cuisine in a genuinely wonderful atmosphere.Special Features:
- I love this eating establishment.SamBDined on 9/23/2014I would recommend this eating establishment to everyone. The food is great and would be the perfect place to take a special date or for an anniversary, birthday or any special occasion. I will go back simply because the food is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amelia'sFresh4youDined on 9/19/2014Food and service are good. Our service Alex was did an excellent job. Owner/Chef Andy is very personable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed ImmenselyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Just moved back to Gainesville and reserved table to celebrate my wife's birthday. We're sure glad we did as the food (grouper special) was absolutely delicious - and beautiful. It was the best fish I've ever had bar none! Our server (Serena) was delightful and catered to our every need. The music was wonderful - quiet, soothing and lovely. The owner and guitarist visited our table to greet us, chat, and thank us for coming. And the owner (Andy) helped celebrate the birthday occasion by playing a 'mean saxaphone' as the help and crowd joined in a rousing verse of 'Happy Birthday' to my wife! An all around wonderful experience that we recommend to everyone! Thanks from Frank and Patricia!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great service.kaytmackDined on 9/13/2014The food was good, but the service was excellent! Her name is Serena, and she is new there, but she was very genuinely polite, attentive and personable. We liked her a lot. The wine was good, and the veal was great, too. The chicken was decent, though next time I think I may order a seafood dish, because their shrimp cocktail was great.Special Features:
- Celebrate a BirthdayFredDined on 9/13/2014Andy, the outstanding chef, is multi-talented and also plays the saxophone. He does a terrific rendition of Happy Birthday. Combined with the food atmosphere, and service, what a wonderful restaurant to celebrate a birthday.Special Features:
- Great local favoriteAlex3217VIPDined on 9/5/2014We eat at Amelia's as a special "family favorite" every time we visit our daughter in Gainesville. It's a great spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014Overall the food was not good enough for us to come back.
- Great place!LTedDined on 8/31/2014Great food and excellent service! Will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Never DisappointedCynfulDined on 8/23/2014This is only the second time we have dined at this restaurant but our first experience was so good (service and quality of food) that we were anxious to return with a smaller group. We were not disappointed as our server was personable and knowledgeable and the food was as delicious as we remembered it to be. The wine list offers many good choices and decent prices. We will definitely return to Amelia's the next time we are in Gainesville.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014Had been here before and it was delicious! But this time, service was horrible and food was subpar. Very dissappointed.Special Features:
- Go for grouper!KyKirnlDined on 8/21/2014Amelia's has plenty of traditional "Italian" dishes for those who need some comfort food. All delicious (based on past experience), but be sure to check the specials. Many of these are more "continental" than red-sauce Italian. We both had grilled grouper, though with different preparations. Mine was served with a light white wine saute', over lightly sauteed spinach, with fresh Cedar Key clams in the shell surrounding it. My wife's -- also grilled -- included olives (which she felt were a bit salty, and could probably have included fewer of them) and capers in a light lemon-y sauce with pasta. Both were cooked perfectly, nicely plated and reasonable priced: $28 and $25 respectively, including pasta side and salad. I'd recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentGraceDined on 8/20/2014I would definitely recommend this restuarant to my family and friends. The food was excellent, the service was superb and the music was a nice touch. I am looking forward to dining here again in the near future.Special Features:
- Very nice place and foodChristineDined on 8/8/2014This is one of the best places to go get Italian food in the Gainesville area. The food has a local, home-made taste that you miss in big restaurant branches. Prices are reasonable for the quality of the food and the place. Standard plates such as spaghetti bolognese or fetuccini alfredo are the best, I would not try to experiment with exotic plates or lasagna which are not that good. I always go to this place for especial occasions, nice atmosphere and good location.Special Features:
- The following 364 reviews are from the Amelia's Italian Cuisine reviews archive.
- A not to miss in Gainesville!HungarianVIPDined on 7/23/2014This was my second time at Amelia's and will always be on my list whenever visiting Gainesville. The owner Andy Fass could not be any nicer and he wears many hats; greeter, chef and of course his best role of being saxaphone player for Happy Birthday songs! The food is exceptional and the caesar salad a must selection as Andy makes his own dressing there at the restaurant. Already looking forward to my next visit to Gainesville! Susan the HungarianSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!MunchkinDined on 7/23/2014Great food and great service! Made celebrating our anniversary that much more special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love Amelia's!KatieDined on 7/18/2014This is definitely one of our top two or three restaurants in Gainesville. The staff are friendly and service is great. Since we go there often they know who we are and catch up with us each time we return. Chef Andy comes out and speaks to everyone in the restaurant every night. The food is consistently great. We love it!Special Features:
- Excellent mealTimothyVIPDined on 7/1/2014Amelia's is a fine-dining restaurant right behind the iconic Hippodrome theatre in Gainesville. The dining room is intimate and calm, the service is attentive and unobtrusive, and Chef Andy visits each table. The food was delicious and generous. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Basic ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014We were late but the hostess was warm and welcoming. Owner Chef was working the dining room. It was late so we just had entrees which were accompanied by a salad. My wife and I ordered different dishes , but the sauce seemed the same even though it was described with different ingredients. Food was fine nothing more, nothing gourmet, which its not supposed to be. Everything was hot, which I like and bread was fresh and warm. Staff around were friendly and trying hard.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Poor ServiceZacharyDined on 6/28/2014The food here is great and the owner is always polite. But the older gentlemen who served us should not be working in a restaurant as a waiter. He never took our drink order as he went straight to taking our food order. We were at the table for 30 minutes before we got our drinks and had to remind him to bring them to us as he forgot. Food did not come out at the same time, which is always uncomfortable for the group at the table. He did get better as the night went on and I still tipped him a full 20% because I felt he was in over his head.Special Features:
- A Wonderfull NiteRenardDined on 6/28/2014The chef ANDY is a real talent. He will honor special requests,as he did for us. His food is constantly great. Sometimes he might also play the Sax. The sauces are light and flavorful. I look forward to each experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner with friends..janeDined on 6/28/2014voted as the #1 Italian Restaurant in Gainesville and I totally agree. Awesome food. Service was slow but found out the server had an emergency and had to leave. Another server took over and was fabulous. Very pleasant and did the best she could with the extra tables. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Very user friendly, yummyRoboDined on 6/27/2014We found the food,service and mgmt excellent, will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.