Ambrozia Bar and Bistro
1020 Merrimon Ave.
Asheville, NC 28804Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Ambrozia Bar and Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ambrozia-avl.com/
- Phone: (828) 350-3033
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch 11-3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Sam Etheridge
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Full service catering company that can accommodate any type of event or cuisine needed.
A word from Ambrozia Bar and Bistro
Ambrozia Bar and Bistro is a neighborhood café located in North Asheville next to scenic Beaver Lake. It features modern American cuisine with a twist. The ever changing menu specializes in farm fresh local ingredients. The quaint atmosphere is modern and comfortable. The Bar is wine focused with local and craft beers, specialty cocktails and a full service bar. Professional and knowledgeable service can be expected from the friendly Ambrozia staff. Open for dinner and Sunday brunch with ample parking in the Beaver Lake Shopping Center. Reservations are recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Ambrozia Bar and Bistro - Best Restaurants in Asheville ›
Ambrozia Bar and Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (80)neighborhood gem (79)special occasion (35)great for brunch (24)romantic (21)notable wine list (20)hot spot (18)vibrant bar scene (13)great for outdoor dining (12)good for groups (7)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (5)great for lunch (3)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/15/2014The pork belly was mediocre at best. The trout was ok but forgettable.
- Hidden gemFoodisLifeVIPDined on 11/8/2014Go opposite Asheville's downtown and you'll find food just as good if not better tucked away in an unassuming little strip mall next to the library. The pimento cheese popovers, the tuna appetizer, the small plates and deserts were excellent. It's small and tables are close to one another, but I imagine this little gem is just what the locals love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall a great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/5/2014Have been to Ambrosia several times. They have never disappointed us. Menu is eclectic with some unusual but very successful food pairing, The wine list is comprehensive, but not to large to confuse. Price point on the wine menu is reasonable. Also have a good selection of beers and cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like A Lot!TWC2VIPDined on 10/30/2014We always enjoy, but sometimes the menu can be a little limited. I understand that this is because they make most everything in house, but just sayin!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- N. Asheville Gem!FoodieDined on 10/30/2014We are so glad to have a fine food restaurant in North Adheville. We love the downtown scene but don't always want to deal with traffic & parking. Excellent food! We had a sort of a "tapas" experience trying all the appetizers! Service was top notch, friendly & personable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbAVLdinerDined on 10/28/2014This was our second visit- cauliflower bisque was outstanding and the scallops were perfectly cooked. Waitstaff was very knowledgeable about ingredients in all the dishes.Special Features:
- Burger and BeerRachelVIPDined on 10/28/2014They have a special on Tuesday nights -- Burger and Beer for only $10 -- You have a choice of 2 burgers, and any NC Beer on Tap. We decided to get both burgers and share them -- Vegetarian with Curry Flavor and Eggplant Fries, and the Beef Burger with Pimento Cheese and other delicious toppings with Chili Fries. They were both on homemade brioche rolls. And they were fabulous and delicious and we would certainly come back and do again! We had a server we've had before, with wonderful service, excellent food, this is a wonderful place for everything from casual dining, to special occasion (Last time we were here was for my birthday when we did small plates). And yes, if you don't like beer, they now have another special burger and wine.Special Features:
- Ambrosia Bar and BistroLuvlocalDined on 10/25/2014Everything was wonderful --- great food, service and atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great end to our tripAsheville1Dined on 10/18/2014Our first time visiting Asheville we wanted a romantic restaurant that we can also bring our dogs to, this place delivered! The most friendly staff ever who was so nice to us and our pups, they went out of their way to make us feel comfortable. The prices were affordable and the service was quick. The food was scrumptious and the restaurant was gorgeous! We will return on our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphereKathiVIPDined on 10/15/2014My husband and I liked the ambiance, although the noise level became quite energetic as more and more people arrived for dinner. It's a small place! The Wednesday night 1/2 price bottle of wine was great ... the food was beautifully presented and delicious... our server was very pleasant and knowledgeable ..our only complaint was that the food was a little slow coming out of the kitchen. We got several "small plates" ... next time we'll ask for two at a time and see if that makes things faster!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently deliciousDiningoutinNCDined on 10/12/2014This is the fourth time we have gone for Sunday brunch and we continue to be very pleased. They rotate their menu with continued fine outcomes. We had Cauliflower bisque with a chorizo fritter and the Croquet Madame, both of which were sumptuously prepare and presented. Our go to brunch place in Asheville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best mean I can remember in awhileOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014First time visiting the Asheville area and found this restaurant on OpenTable. Very interesting menu. Everything we tried was out of this world. Our waitress was attentive but not over bearing. Definitely one of the best meals I've had in a very long time. Next time we're back in town, definitely going back.Special Features:
- Another Great ExperienceBillSDined on 10/8/2014Continue to experience a great meal and a warm welcome from the owner and staff.Special Features:
- North Asheville GemWoodysFaves14Dined on 10/7/2014We dined at Ambrozia for the first time this week and had a wonderful experience. From the Hors d'oeuvres to the dessert, it was fantastic. I had the grilled trout which was moist, crisp, and perfectly seasoned. The smoked corn custard was creamy and full of corny flavor. My companions had the Steak Frite and Fall Squash Gnocchi which they loved. The desserts and a good selection of wines made the evening memorable. The service was outstanding, prices reasonable, and we know that we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Dining ExperienceLuvFunFindsDined on 10/2/2014We loved this cozy neighborhood bistro. Outstanding service. We ordered the popovers with pimento cheese and the Brussels sprouts (with bacon made onsite) as starters. Both were delicious, and while we waited, were served complimentary ambrosia dish--a nice touch. We finished with salads and an excellent cauliflower soup. The wine list was extensive and we enjoyed watching the bartender create enticing drinks. Definitely a place for those who are interested in diversity and quality over portion quantity. A memorable dining experience for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another home run!avilleVIPDined on 10/1/2014We brought out-of-town guests for the first night of the newest menu (Oct 1st), and as usual, Chef Sam has created some wonderful dishes! The cauliflower soup with chorizo, the brussel sprouts with apples and ham, the grilled asparagus with duck prosciutto, and the seafood grits entree were hits with everyone. And then there's the added special 1/2 price on any bottle of wine on Wednesdays, which makes all of it MORE fun. And then you add the fabulous Caren behind the bar, and all the wonderful wait-staff, and you have an ideal evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal!AVLNorthCarolinaDined on 9/27/2014This was a very pleasant surprise. The flat iron was cooked to protection and the seafood was a world of flavors. The best part was desert. A mint chocolate ice cream bar with freash mint. Very well thought out and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Northside EateryAshevilleGourmetVIPDined on 9/27/2014We have dined here before. We are never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummymtnmchgrlVIPDined on 9/26/2014Our meal this time was especially delicious from start (buttermilk pimento cheese popovers) to finish (champagne poached pear in puff pastry).Special Features:
- Gem of North AshevilleVicksPicksDined on 9/22/2014We love it here--friendly staff, outstanding food and service. Thank you, Karen, for making my birthday special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HipBarbaraVIPDined on 9/16/2014Feeling uptown in Asheville, this is a fun spot on the north end! Different kinds of things on the menu.Special Features:
- Amazing!jwestbarkerDined on 9/16/2014Love this place! Our favorite restaurant in town! They never disappoint!Special Features:
- JackDined on 9/10/2014Just moved into the neighborhood. Will be a regular!Special Features:
- A gem to be sharedLetseatVIPDined on 9/10/2014We took friends and they now declare it's their favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerRachelVIPDined on 9/9/2014Was here for my birthday and had a delicious sampling of small plates. At least our fourth time here. Have never been disappointed. It was a Tuesday night and the place was packed with people getting Tuesday Burger / Beer special. Next time I'm coming on a Tuesday and trying that special priced meal.Special Features:
- EXCELLENTOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Great experience across the board. Wonderful food, great service. Will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Always Great!GluttonessDined on 9/5/2014Our third visit was great, again! Tried the oyster appetizer and the four pieces left us wanting 50 more. Had the duck special which was terrific but might be a little underdone for some people. A little pricey to go as often as I want, but love it every time I go.Special Features:
- greatjqmarshallDined on 9/4/2014we find ourselves coming back every date night. we are addicted to this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!CharitySBTDined on 8/28/2014We consulted various review sites to assist us in selecting restaurants on our getaway to Asheville this week. We loved Ambrozia - delightful flavor combinations. The fried chicken legs and the trout with cauliflower risotto were my favorites. Don't skip the Chocolate Bomb dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was incredibly goodFoodie26VIPDined on 8/23/2014I had the pimento cheese popovers and they were heavy but delicious. I also had the Steak Frite. The gorgonzola sauce was a perfect compliment to to the perfectly cooked steak.Special Features:
- Lovely dinnerJoiedevivreDined on 8/22/2014The service and ambiance is always so nice at ambrosia, and we like that it's quieter and easier to get to than restaurants downtown that are so often flooded with tourists. Cocktail list is creative and specials unique. I'm vegetarian and always have options here, like spring veggies and gnocchi, melon feta salad. My family enjoyed the steak & frits, local nc trout and seared sea scallops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love love loveAustin1040VIPDined on 8/21/2014Great food with attentive, charming service. Who could ask for more? I've been to most of the highly rated restaurants in Asheville and Ambrozia doesn't get the attention it deserves. Interesting appetizers and entrees. All we had were well prepared. And the service was outstanding. Highly recommend.
- Great neighborhood findSweetandsavoryDined on 8/21/2014Living in a town with so many choices for great food often makes it difficult to decide just where to go. Ambrozia is a fantastic spot, and one of the many reasons to like it is simply because it's NOT downtown. Besides having a fantastic menu, lovely sleek but not cold ambience, professional and attentive (but not overbearing) service - it's great to have a spot that is really kind of a neighborhood spot. Easy to get to, park, quieter..... I told our waitstaff that I think of them as our burger destination because their burger is really out of this world - caramelized onions, pimento cheese and a great locally sourced beef make it absolutely divine. But really, their entire menu is always tempting....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another first rate experienceanotherfoodieDined on 8/20/2014North Asheville neighborhood is so lucky to have this great gem. The service is always delightful with a friendly and knowledgeable staff. They made it so easy for a table of six to share tastings and were terrific with recommendations for wine and for the vegetarians in our group. The local field to table food is always wonderfully inspired. The grand finale was a spectacular dessert plate for each of the three birthday guests who were dining - and that was served as a surprise response to a casual comment by our dinner host as we arrived. Way to go Ambrozia -a class act. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Awful!LissDined on 8/19/2014Invited by a friend to try this place. Took 3 hours to get two burgers and a couple of Apps and get our check. Server was plesant but inexperienced and not trained well. Couldn't answer many of our questions. Food was OK. Can't go wrong with HNGF's meat but roll was burned on both sandwiches and fries were cold. Oyster app was dried out. The place was hopping as they had a burger special which we weren't told about until we ordered. North Ash needs a good restaurant, sadly this isn't it.
- Just right for brunchZoroDined on 8/10/2014Excellent, creative food and friendly, efficient service in pleasant surroundings. Just 2 slight quibbles: 1. Restaurant website said mimosas were available all day with Sunday brunch, but they're not because of NC prohibition against Sunday sales before noon. The restaurant may assume everybody knows this, but laws change and some customers are out-of-state tourists who can't be expected to know them. Website should say "available after noon." 2. One member of our party ordered the 4-course brunch after being told the courses were small to keep the total reasonable. The third course was actually quite large; had she known, she would have ordered that a la carte. 4 small courses are a good idea, but they should be accurately described.Special Features:
- Great find in ASheville areaDaveVIPDined on 8/9/2014Out of the downtown area just north of town in a small strip mall, but once inside it was a vibrant and great find. Great food, great service, and something for everyone in the family. Highly recommended for innovation in the menu choices, and great service.Special Features:
- What a treat!JanetDined on 8/2/2014Very creative menu. We enjoyed 2 small plates per person and found that to be just the right amount of food that also enabled us to try more of the menu. Alie was our server and she took great care of us. Menu changes monthly and great care is taken to cook seasonally.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fun!avilleVIPDined on 8/2/2014We always have a great time at Ambrozia's! The staff is so welcoming and helpful, and the food is always a taste treat with nightly surprises. The menu changes often, so while you can, be sure to try the heirloom tomato tart, and the seared scallops with braised short ribs..... Yum! And be sure to have Caren whip up one of her specialty drinks at the bar.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemCliftVIPDined on 7/31/2014Great food and great service. Real neighborhood gem! Would definitely go back when in Asheville!Special Features: