Ambrozia Bar and Bistro
1020 Merrimon Ave.
Asheville, NC 28804Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Ambrozia Bar and Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ambrozia-avl.com/
- Phone: 8283503033x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch 11-3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Sam Etheridge
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Full service catering company that can accommodate any type of event or cuisine needed.
A word from Ambrozia Bar and Bistro
Ambrozia Bar and Bistro is a neighborhood café located in North Asheville next to scenic Beaver Lake. It features modern American cuisine with a twist. The ever changing menu specializes in farm fresh local ingredients. The quaint atmosphere is modern and comfortable. The Bar is wine focused with local and craft beers, specialty cocktails and a full service bar. Professional and knowledgeable service can be expected from the friendly Ambrozia staff. Open for dinner and Sunday brunch with ample parking in the Beaver Lake Shopping Center. Reservations are recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Ambrozia Bar and Bistro - Best Restaurants in Asheville ›
Ambrozia Bar and Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (70)neighborhood gem (70)special occasion (30)great for brunch (27)notable wine list (26)romantic (17)hot spot (12)great for outdoor dining (9)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (4)good for groups (3)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- HipBarbaraDined on 9/16/2014Feeling uptown in Asheville, this is a fun spot on the north end! Different kinds of things on the menu.Special Features:
- JackDined on 9/10/2014Just moved into the neighborhood. Will be a regular!Special Features:
- A gem to be sharedLetseatVIPDined on 9/10/2014We took friends and they now declare it's their favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENTOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Great experience across the board. Wonderful food, great service. Will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Always Great!GluttonessDined on 9/5/2014Our third visit was great, again! Tried the oyster appetizer and the four pieces left us wanting 50 more. Had the duck special which was terrific but might be a little underdone for some people. A little pricey to go as often as I want, but love it every time I go.Special Features:
- greatjqmarshallDined on 9/4/2014we find ourselves coming back every date night. we are addicted to this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!CharitySBTDined on 8/28/2014We consulted various review sites to assist us in selecting restaurants on our getaway to Asheville this week. We loved Ambrozia - delightful flavor combinations. The fried chicken legs and the trout with cauliflower risotto were my favorites. Don't skip the Chocolate Bomb dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was incredibly goodFoodie26VIPDined on 8/23/2014I had the pimento cheese popovers and they were heavy but delicious. I also had the Steak Frite. The gorgonzola sauce was a perfect compliment to to the perfectly cooked steak.Special Features:
- Lovely dinnerJoiedevivreDined on 8/22/2014The service and ambiance is always so nice at ambrosia, and we like that it's quieter and easier to get to than restaurants downtown that are so often flooded with tourists. Cocktail list is creative and specials unique. I'm vegetarian and always have options here, like spring veggies and gnocchi, melon feta salad. My family enjoyed the steak & frits, local nc trout and seared sea scallops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love love loveAustin1040VIPDined on 8/21/2014Great food with attentive, charming service. Who could ask for more? I've been to most of the highly rated restaurants in Asheville and Ambrozia doesn't get the attention it deserves. Interesting appetizers and entrees. All we had were well prepared. And the service was outstanding. Highly recommend.
- Great neighborhood findSweetandsavoryDined on 8/21/2014Living in a town with so many choices for great food often makes it difficult to decide just where to go. Ambrozia is a fantastic spot, and one of the many reasons to like it is simply because it's NOT downtown. Besides having a fantastic menu, lovely sleek but not cold ambience, professional and attentive (but not overbearing) service - it's great to have a spot that is really kind of a neighborhood spot. Easy to get to, park, quieter..... I told our waitstaff that I think of them as our burger destination because their burger is really out of this world - caramelized onions, pimento cheese and a great locally sourced beef make it absolutely divine. But really, their entire menu is always tempting....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another first rate experienceanotherfoodieDined on 8/20/2014North Asheville neighborhood is so lucky to have this great gem. The service is always delightful with a friendly and knowledgeable staff. They made it so easy for a table of six to share tastings and were terrific with recommendations for wine and for the vegetarians in our group. The local field to table food is always wonderfully inspired. The grand finale was a spectacular dessert plate for each of the three birthday guests who were dining - and that was served as a surprise response to a casual comment by our dinner host as we arrived. Way to go Ambrozia -a class act. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Awful!LissDined on 8/19/2014Invited by a friend to try this place. Took 3 hours to get two burgers and a couple of Apps and get our check. Server was plesant but inexperienced and not trained well. Couldn't answer many of our questions. Food was OK. Can't go wrong with HNGF's meat but roll was burned on both sandwiches and fries were cold. Oyster app was dried out. The place was hopping as they had a burger special which we weren't told about until we ordered. North Ash needs a good restaurant, sadly this isn't it.
- Just right for brunchZoroDined on 8/10/2014Excellent, creative food and friendly, efficient service in pleasant surroundings. Just 2 slight quibbles: 1. Restaurant website said mimosas were available all day with Sunday brunch, but they're not because of NC prohibition against Sunday sales before noon. The restaurant may assume everybody knows this, but laws change and some customers are out-of-state tourists who can't be expected to know them. Website should say "available after noon." 2. One member of our party ordered the 4-course brunch after being told the courses were small to keep the total reasonable. The third course was actually quite large; had she known, she would have ordered that a la carte. 4 small courses are a good idea, but they should be accurately described.Special Features:
- Great find in ASheville areaDaveVIPDined on 8/9/2014Out of the downtown area just north of town in a small strip mall, but once inside it was a vibrant and great find. Great food, great service, and something for everyone in the family. Highly recommended for innovation in the menu choices, and great service.Special Features:
- What a treat!JanetDined on 8/2/2014Very creative menu. We enjoyed 2 small plates per person and found that to be just the right amount of food that also enabled us to try more of the menu. Alie was our server and she took great care of us. Menu changes monthly and great care is taken to cook seasonally.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fun!avilleVIPDined on 8/2/2014We always have a great time at Ambrozia's! The staff is so welcoming and helpful, and the food is always a taste treat with nightly surprises. The menu changes often, so while you can, be sure to try the heirloom tomato tart, and the seared scallops with braised short ribs..... Yum! And be sure to have Caren whip up one of her specialty drinks at the bar.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemCliftVIPDined on 7/31/2014Great food and great service. Real neighborhood gem! Would definitely go back when in Asheville!Special Features:
- Beaver lake gem...Foodie1VIPDined on 7/30/2014Our party of 4 enjoyed an excellent overall dining experience. Wednesday night is half priced wine--we had a superb Pinot noir. The elk Wellington was good, the seafood enchiladas puréed rather than lumpy (lumpy preferred), the trout not quite "fresh from the stream", and the pimiento cheese burger was outstanding. Smoked trout nachos were a hit. We also ordered the chorizo stuffed piquillo peppers as an appetizer--delicious! The desserts were fabulous--the hot fudge ice cream sandwich was decadent and the chocolate cake rapidly disappeared. With a modern decor, outside seating (limited), friendly and helpful staff, and innovative cuisine this is a true neighborhood gem as well as a worthy destination from any part of Asheville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Beaver Lake area find...Foodie1VIPDined on 7/26/2014Having read mixed but favorable reviews I decided to try Ambrozia. What a good choice and terrific addition to North Asheville dining! Located in a shopping strip there is limited al fresco dining available. Interior seating parallels an elongated bar. Staff are friendly, welcoming and helpful. The menu is innovative and intriguing. Smoked trout nachos were delicious followed by a pork chop in chutney accompanied by tomato grits, greens, pork rinds, and a superb chorizo stuffed Piccadillo pepper (would make an appealing main course or appetizer). Only complaint is the chop was overly fatty. Will definitely return and the Sunday brunch looks to be a special attraction.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it, again.GluttonessDined on 7/26/2014Other than the odd location in a small shopping center, we're delighted to have Ambrozia nearby. We took a guest this time and despite his initial reaction to the "fussy" menu - he loved it! The trout with cauliflower risotto was absolutely amazing, seafood enchiladas equally delicious and the Bistro Burger so reliably good one person at the table always has it, again. We were lucky to get our same server both times; she knows the menu and how to take great food and turn it into a wonderful night out. If I had a complaint about Ambrozia it would be the "wimpy" wine pours. At $7 per glass another splash isn't going to cut into the bottom line.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular food & serviceJoyceDined on 7/25/2014I had reserved a table for 2 but some friends decided to join us. The restaurant was so booked that we could not be accommodated; however, room at the bar became available and we ate there. Karen , the bartender, was awesome and her service was spectacular. I started with appetizers, then salad and the scallops. The salad was well dressed and the scallops were perfectly cooked. The prices are very reasonable. There are even 2 tables outside. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- EddieDined on 7/25/2014Great service and good food. Great presentation A bit pricySpecial Features:
- Great hamburgersBarbaraDined on 7/25/2014Had a difficult time finding something I liked on the menue. Creative dinners but when the food came I didn't enjoy it. Good hamburgers in the past and next time I'll stick to that.Special Features:
- Another great night at AmbroziaSawgrasserDined on 7/24/2014Great cocktails (pirate themed for tonight), loved the pimento popovers. I had the elk wellington that was cooked perfectly and tasted great. My wife had the Dirty Burger with the fois gras, pimento cheese, fried egg, onion rings , and bacon is probably the best burger in Asheville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing experienceAkr700Dined on 7/24/2014Though nothing we ordered could be considered delicious I want to highlight the most offending course.....the green salad. The greens presented were wilted, bruised and soggy and the few tomato slices pale. The waitress informed me that the greens had been "massaged" with the dressing and said she was sorry the preparation did not appeal to me or my guests. We were not offered a substitute and the salad was included on my bill.
- Good neighborhood restaurant loungePizzagirlDined on 7/23/2014Ambrosia is a wonderful place to enjoy a romantic dinner and cocktail or have a spur of the moment meal. All of the staff are friendly and knowledgeable and I love the focus on local foods.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful flavorsDininginAshevileDined on 7/18/2014The flavor of the scallops, ribs and parsnip purée was to moan for. Burger, sauce and seasoned fries were perfect. This is a casual atmosphere with sophisticated food. All in all a very pleasing dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and unusual selectionszanballDined on 7/18/2014Very much enjoyed the unusual selections and small plates. Trout Tacos were wonderful; Oysters Appalachian were smokey and delicious; Wild NC Clams were nice - the broth a bit too salty for our taste, but interesting and definitely on our "do again" list. Elk Wellington was not so much to our liking (although we eat a lot of wild game). We've eaten at Ambrozia before and highly recommend the restaurant and experience - friendly staff, nice ambiance, good food, interesting and unusual dishes! We'll definitely go back.Special Features:
- ClosedVIPDined on 7/12/2014We are always pleased! Everyone is so kind and makes us feel like family.Special Features:
- dining gem down MerrimonhickoryfoodiesDined on 7/12/2014Definitely fit for foodies of all stripe, including vegetarians. Very good and personable wait staff and general mgr. Jamal, were friendly and attentive to our needs. Good bar and wine list, and an interesting and well-executed menu. Two different entrees were ordered: daily special of braised rabbit with savory bread pudding and grilled squashes and vegetarian enchilada of mushrooms and collard greens with a heavenly mole and a side of quinoa and squash that seemed to be fried crispy (stir-fried, perhaps) -- all of which was well-prepared and delicious. A seasonal berry cobbler to finish was outstanding. Recommended, fine-bistro-dining for any evening. Minimal children - important to us when fine-food & bistro dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placewhycookVIPDined on 7/10/2014We have been twice with friends and each time it was fabulous. The devils on horseback appetizer is wonderful. Cheerwine short ribs with pimento mashed potatoes were wonderful. Friend had the steak with the smoked frites --- the frites were so good everyone at the table wanted some. What a great find and right in our neighborhoodSpecial Features:
- Hip Design in North AshevilleElsenorVIPDined on 7/8/2014This is a nice addition to the North Asheville restaurant scene. The decor is comfortably modern. It's hip without trying too hard. The food is good - a little pricey for what it is - but solid. The service is friendly but a little scattered. I would definitely dine here again.Special Features:
- Happy Birthday BoyoutoftownerDined on 7/3/2014Extremely creative food at a reasonable price. We enjoyed every bite and, the pop overs are not to be missed! Excellent wine list. Friendly and engaging wait staff. Even the chef and kitchen staff gave a friendly wave from the open view kitchen as we left the restaurant. We were all happy, happy!Special Features:
- A nice surprisetable4fourDined on 6/28/2014Although we had heard about Ambrozia through friends and local media, we were surprised by the quality of the food and experience of this "off-the-beaten-path" restaurant. The food was delicious, plentiful and reasonably priced compared to many of Asheville's downtown restaurants, which are increasingly overpriced.Special Features:
- Not quite up to regular standardeliscomingDined on 6/26/2014We love Ambrozia, it has been wonderful every time we have dined there. However our latest experience, we found it to be a bit off for the night. There were only 2 other tables seated when we arrived at 5:30 pm and service was not up to par. Our server seemed to be more interested in socializing with her co-workers. We each ordered a glass of wine, one of us had a burger and the other had a salad and the oysters. It took 30 minutes to get our food which seemed long considering what we had ordered. The burger was very good as were the oysters. The salad was very disappointing, half of the greens were deteriorated to the point of being inedible, very little dressing & minimal toppings. Server never returned to table to ask how the meal was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely addition to North Asheville!MtnMARDined on 6/24/2014So glad the neighborhood seems to have welcomed Ambrozia with open arms! Always a nice size crowd of mixed ages any night of the week that I have dined there. Food has been consistantly good, prepared fresh and hot with eye pleasing presentation. Service is attentive and friendly. Nice bar to grab a drink at with friends or dine at if alone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Brunch ValuefoodsnobVIPDined on 6/22/2014At $20 for a 4 course brunch it can't be beat in Asheville. The basket of bakery treats is so good. The remaining choices are all outstanding. Reallt loved the Sausage Wellington. Try the Appalachian 75 for a different brunch cocktail. Service is excellent - friendly, knowledgable and just the right amount of attentativeness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FinedineDined on 6/21/2014We always go early and take friends, but still gets loud by the end of the meal! Foods always fabulous, cocktails at the top, and service the best we've seen!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good as AlwaysBillSDined on 6/14/2014Ambrozia Bar & Grill continues to be our #1 choice for weekend dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.