149 Main St.
Unionville, ON L3R 2G8Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ambiyan.com/
- Phone: 9054800094x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch / Tuesday - Sunday from 11:30 AM
Dinner / 7 Days from 4 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Abdul Hamid
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Thinking about Ambiyan for your private function or corporate entertaining? Our experienced kitchen staff can professionally cater office or in-home events. Call us or come by to chat about how we can make your next event a memorable one.
- Private Party Facilities: We have a 25-seat private dining room - perfect for private functions or corporate events.
- Private Party Contact: Korum 9054800094x
A word from Ambiyan
Located in the heart of historic Unionville, Ontario, Ambiyan brings a cultural richness to the Main Street dining scene offering traditional Indian cuisine in a contemporary setting. Our delicately crafted menu offers a variety of selections to suit all palates, from meat lovers to fish & seafood fans to pure vegetarians. Traditional favorites such as Butter Chicken and Lamb Roganjosh are beautifully complemented by contemporary offerings such Coconut Prawn Curry or Pan seared Scallops. Ambiyan has a well-appointed wine list and a selection of domestic and imported beers, including India"s famous Kingfisher beer. Enjoy great Indian Cuisine in our elegant dining room or bring it home to enjoy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Ambiyan - Best Restaurants in Markham ›
Ambiyan reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (18)neighborhood gem (13)special occasion (12)good for groups (10)romantic (9)fit for foodies (8)scenic view (6)great for lunch (3)hot spot (2)great for brunch (2)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- great Indian food for western tastemicacattDined on 8/17/2014Menu is great ,priced well.Price fixed menu combination for two takes stress out of ordering . Warm,friendly atmophere , I always enjoy outdoor sitting on deck for dinner .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experience!firecaptainDined on 8/7/2014Ambiyan is a neighbourhood staple. Perfect location to enjoy live music, from across the street, on Main St. Unionville. They honoured our reservation request and really treated us special. We were celebrating a lot of things that night so, to our surprise, they brought us a free dessert. Very classy people work there. I love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasedSteveDined on 7/29/2014Was looking for good Indian food for dinner. Tried the butter chicken. It was delicious. Service was good and food arrived quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & Service!LBandBRluv2DineDined on 7/26/2014We went to Ambiyan to celebrate my mom's 78th birthday. Our reservation went from 8 to 16 guests and they very easily accommodated the change. We were a very energetic, large group and the service from start to finish was outstanding! They very patiently explained the foods to us (I'd never had Indian b4), helped figure out how many apps to order so everyone could try some & were very attentive throughout the meal. We even got a delightful mango yogurt treat served before we ordered. Everyone got something different & really enjoyed their meals...even my brother & cousin whose lamb and beef dishes got switched! :) I would highly recommend Ambiyan to anyone. Wonderful, food, staff and location. I dream of the garlic naan so we will go back!Special Features:
- Excellent Restaurant, Tame FoodSpiceloverDined on 7/24/2014The food was good and the service was excellent. We went on a thursday, which meant contending with live music during our table conversation as the stage is just across the road, but otherwise we had a very nice spot on the patio. My only words of caution would be that they did not ask if we'd like our food spicy, so my meal came out much tamer than I like for indian, but still delicious.
- Excellent serviceAwesometimeDined on 7/15/2014We went there for friend birthday, we arrived a little late, and the waiter tolerated us staying late... We were singing happy birthday and the waiter was so patient with us, and how loud we were. I had a super good time just laughingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, no servicservicepleaseDined on 7/13/2014The first time we went there the food was good and service was attentive, the second time was Canada day and a Fifa match was on, they took 15 minutes to bring the appetizer, and 45 minutes to bring the mains; the last time we were sitting for a full 15 minutes without a server bringing as much as water - a bus person noticed we had no water and said "oh, I'll get you guys some water" by which time we had decided to leave, but first asked if they only had one waiter, which she confirmed. Next time we'll just get take out!
- Sea111Dined on 7/11/2014Very good service and an enjoyable meal--there was a good selection on the menu. For a nice summer evening, there is a fairly spacious patio on Unionville's historic Main Street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was okMajesticDined on 7/2/2014I've had better food at cheaper restaurants. Their main course is not as good as I expected. The quality is not authentic and they use sugar in their biryani. The location and ambience is terrific for appetizers and drinks.
- A new gem is found!FoodieDined on 6/29/2014We visited Ambiyan this past weekend, and to our surprise we were not only pleased with its location reminding us of almost being in a scenic and picturesque destination but rather were very happy with the food that we had at Ambiyan. It was especially enjoyable for my parents that found the rural charm offered on Main St as catapulting the experience to a new level. In the future, we will be arriving at Ambiyan a lot earlier than our dinner reservations to enjoy drinks on their wonderful Patio. Dishes Ordered: Non-vegetarian Platter, Pepper Prawns, Chicken Madras and Masala Lime Lamb.Special Features:
- Great foodSippeyDined on 6/15/2014Food was great and so was the service. Everyone was very attentive and we didn't have to wait for someone as they were consistently coming over to the table to see how we were. Food didn't take long either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/3/2014Excellent service, the ambience was good, and the food was quite goodSpecial Features:
- Amazing service and foodaj16Dined on 5/14/2014Everything was exceptional. The brie cheese pakoras were unique and out of this world. The tureen was amazing as well. The garlic naan was nice and fluffy and freshSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 215 reviews are from the Ambiyan reviews archive.
- Bollywood in UnionvilleOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/24/2014Great location on main street Unionville with indoor/outdoor dining. Great value for prix fixe lunch with appetizer and main, veg/meat options. Very flavorful food and modern presentation, the nann was out of this world --airy with a crispy bottom and not greasy at all. We were there for lunch on a weekday and almost had the entire section of the restaurant to ourselves.Special Features:
- Yum!MikeyDined on 4/13/2014I've lost count how many times we've eaten here, always great,will be back for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Food, Warm AtmosphereNancyDined on 4/11/2014The food! I love Indian food, and this restaurant was by far the best one I've been to. It was my first time visit and the meal wasn't even over before I was planning my next visit. I had lunch with a friend whom I hadn't seen for a while, and we had a leisurely lunch with excellent service. (And as an aside, the washroom was sooooo clean. Bonus!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in UnionvilleHotnSpicyDined on 3/7/2014Ambiyan served authentic Indian flavors. Lamb vindaloo was very yummy, chicken madras was also good but vegetable Bhindi could have been spicier. Overall it was a great dining experience, very attentive server & will be back in the summer to dine on the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Indian CuisineSolaDined on 1/13/2014We dined at Ambiyan as it was my friend's birthday as we are both European and enjoy eating out. This restaurant is a wonderful find in the cute village of Unionville and I would recommend it to anyone that enjoys Indian Cuisine. The food was absolutely fantastic and we even got to take a 'doggie bag' home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MmmmmmmMichelleDined on 1/11/2014Good portions, viriety, service, ambiance and soooo delicious! Will definitely be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeBuruzothDined on 12/31/2013Loved this place; went there on new years eve. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went for NYE dinner forMsFooFooDined on 12/31/2013We went for NYE dinner for the set dinner of $39 per person. The portion appear small at first (2 to share a regular size samosa and naan), but we couldn't finish the food and need to bring home. Both the vegetarian (panner in spinach) and meat curries (beef masala and butter chicken) were very flavourful. The servers were attentive and the atmosphere was not too noisy even with a full house. Great place to go to catch up with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!missbexterDined on 12/29/2013The service was very good, the food it’s excellent. We will be coming back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian Food in TorontoFoodieDined on 12/28/2013What I love best about Ambiyan is the consistent quality of food and service. I love spicy food and the Vindaloo here is absolutely the best. The chicken tikka appetizer was tender and perfectly seasoned. The coconut prawn curry was delicious and the garlic naan was the best I've had. This is my favorite Indian restaurant and being originally from India, I have been generally disappointed by the quality or lack thereof of Indian food in the Toronto area. I am happy to report this is no longer the case. Will definitely keep coming back as long as the food quality remains consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Christmas Get TogetherPeggyDined on 12/13/2013It was the second year we had chosen the restaurant for our Christmas get together. As, the previous year, we received a very warm welcome and we were easily re-seated as our number had changed. Our server was most pleasant, with a warm smile throughout the evening. The food was excellent, and we were to go at our pace, not rushing anywhere, celebrating each other's company. Unfortunately for us, seated next at the next table were a few pre-school children who were allowed to scream and screech often enough to startle us, and to make us somewhat uncomfortable as the parents did nothing to stop the noise, but glared at us when we showed our discomfort over the noise. For our group, the experience was less than we hoped for that evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!PhilDined on 11/27/2013My girlfriend and I had an awesome experience dining at your restaurant! The waiter was very knowledgeable about the menu and gave us really good recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for RomancestansharpDined on 10/26/2013Other than being a little louder than I would have liked, (there was a table of 14 directly beside us and a loud group of four directly behind us) the food was delicious and the ambience was nice for a first date which is what I went there for. The service was very good and the food was also better than we expected..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dinning made comfortable.SammyDined on 10/21/2013Fine dinning made comfortable. The service from online reservation to dinning and after was superb!Special Features:
- Ambiyan UnionvilleTravelersDined on 10/18/2013Had a lovely date night at Ambiyan. Busy Saturday night but wait staff were attentive. Great food but a little over priced for the quality. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!yumyumDined on 10/12/2013I had dinner there with a friend and the service and food were perfect!! The wait staff were very friendly and tentative, but not over bearing. Continuously refilling our waters was appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTICdotcatersDined on 10/4/2013We wnt with a group of 8. All food came out together and hot!!! (very important). Service was outstanding. Nothing was too much effort. I'm not a lover of Indian food but this was really amazing! If you live near Unionville, you have to gice it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gals Night OutAngelDined on 9/20/2013We had a faboulous time at Ambiyan last Friday. The Ambience was truly beautiful and the service was outstanding. The Food was good, however; would have liked a little more spice ( being Indian's we felt we could handle a bit more spice). Overall we were pleased and thank you Ambiyan for making our night out great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly goodRL24Dined on 9/3/2013I am not an adventurous diner and Indian is outside my comfort zone. Staff was very helpful. I had a tandoori chicken in a hot sauce and it was terrific. My wife had a spinache purée with cheese that she loved. I will go back which is big for meSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Indian cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2013We had a lovely table on the patio watching the passers-by and pretty street scene. The food was way above-average - high quality ingredients, everything spicy and well-flavoured but not too spicy and very fresh-tasting. Delicious lamb saag and masala! Very attractively served and good service. A great find in Unionville and worth a repeat visit. Thornhill diner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommend sitting outside,UnionvillefrequentflyerDined on 8/24/2013Recommend sitting outside, nice Ambiance and band sometimes plays across the street. Owners and employees very nice. Generally a calm evening spent with good food. However, food could be a little hotter (temperature wise).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so goodJoao1964Dined on 8/23/2013After so many visits, this is the first time food was not that good. Lamb had a lot of fat, even after my complain nothing happened. Of course this is the first average experience in more than 10 times we have been there. Hope next time will be good as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Second TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/13/2013A few weeks ago the food was spectacular. In particular the Lamb Vindaloo. This time was disappointing. The lamb was not very tender and the sauce was high in cloves masking any other flavours. Despite mentioning the need to serve the food very hot (temperature) it arrived only just warm enough to not send back. A very disappointing second visit, not likely to lead to a third!
- Great ambiance and an excellentSudhirDined on 8/9/2013Great ambiance and an excellent patio. Food is average. Appetizers were barely warm even though they were served quickly gave us the feeling that they were prepared en masse and sitting. Main courses were good. I liked both egg plant bhurtha and chicken vindaloo. Halibut was disappointing.. We enjoyed because of great patio.Special Features:
- NamasteCharlotteDined on 8/1/2013The food was excellent. Presentation of the food , Ambience, and the variety of foods along with the friendly atmosphere added to the perfect occassion with friends. I would recommend it for smaller gatherings rather than a larger groups where the taking care of the billing would be easier to work with rather than a larger group when not everyone has drinks or such.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiyan is located in theRaptorsFanDined on 7/26/2013Ambiyan is located in the heart of downtown Unionville, almost directly across the street from the open air bandstand. I was there for the first time on a second date. This restaurant has a classic and vibrant ambiance, excellent, helpful and friendly staff and food that is well-prepared. Ambiyan is a sit-down upscale Indian restaurant with moderate and affordable prices. Thus, anyone looking for a buffet style should not attend here. However, if you are a diner looking for authentic Indian cuisine and an outstanding dining experience, you will enjoy Ambiyan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2013Amazing food and a great location on Main Street Unionville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.