132 State Street
Los Altos, CA 94022Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.ambiencefinedininglosaltos.com/
- Phone: 6509179030x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: M-Sa 5:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Morgan Song
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Private Room, Wine
A word from Ambience
Ambience Restaurant offers a New-American pre-fixe menu (ranging from 11 to 14 courses) with French and Asian influences at $145 dollars per diner with an optional wine pairing tailored to each course. We offer a variety of unique game and seafood items exotic to different areas of the world, masterfully presented in eye-catching presentations executed by our renowned chefs. Our dining room features an intimate dining experience with a modern and contemporary environment. Reservations are required in order to confirm your spot to join us for a memorable dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Ambience - Best Restaurants in Los Altos ›
Ambience reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (29)fit for foodies (25)romantic (25)neighborhood gem (14)notable wine list (14)good for groups (3)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Overpriced yet deliciouslivinthegoodlifeDined on 9/18/2014The ambiance was very subdued so my wife and I enjoyed a quiet celebration together. As it was my wife's birthday I brought 2 special bottles of rare wine so did not pay the extra 200 or 250 dollars for wine pairing. The multitude of courses reminded me of The French Laundry as each course was microscopic yet very delicious. The service was fine but not standout. The bill came to 500 dollars with tip without wine as the corkage fee was 50 dollars a bottle, still 1/2 the price of the pairing and my two wines were better than those that came with the pairing. It was a one time affair for us.Special Features:
- Gem in the rough!MaryamVIPDined on 9/9/2014Wonderful restaurant. The food was fabulous, the service superb, the ambiance perfect. I recommend this to everybody who wants to have romantic and high end dining experience without driving to San Francisco. Just lovely. I have lived in Los altos almost for 20 yrs and always hoped for a nice restaurant in this caliber. I call it Gem in the rough because the location is not the most wonderful spot in downtown but the flip side is there is always parking available there.Special Features:
- Go, before they get a star!vaelinDined on 9/6/2014The food was great! Every dish was complex yet well-balanced. The service was decent, a little unpolished but not a deal breaker by any means.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fancy, creative menu; expensiveJMPADined on 8/22/2014We liked the food-- creative, interesting, and well done. At the same time, I have dined at placed in this price range a few times, and I'm not sure that this place had that extra something special that justifies the price. I didn't feel it was a good value at the price ($540 walk out price for two people, one order of the cheaper wine paring, tax and tip.) I also took off a star on ambiance, as I would have preferred to dine with more people in the restaurant on a Friday night-- it just felt strange to be in an almost empty restaurant on a Friday.Special Features:
- Fabulous FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2014it was great evening. The food was as art and very creative, and lobster dish was best ever had!Special Features:
- Fantastic food, wine pairing not soWorldWideWineGeeksVIPDined on 8/5/2014First off, let me say the food is absolutely fantastic and inventive. There was not one criticism we had of the food and the presentation. It was also well proportioned and came in mostly timely fashion - not rushed, but not bored waiting for the next course. For the food, I would rate it 1-2 Michelin stars. The service (on a Tuesday night) was just OK. Our server made a pronouncement at each course, it seemed rather scripted and not refined. He also mispronounced a few wines. There were two wine pairings: $95 and $155. My wife is a sommelier, so we went with the $155 pairing. For the money, the pairing was hit and miss. The pours were light @1.5-2oz. I suggest bringing your own bottle and pay the $40 corkage - the pairing are overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprising FindsuszzDined on 8/2/2014Ambience was quiet when we dine here on 8/2. But it won't be long before this restaurant will be booked far in advance, so catch it before it becomes impossible to get a reservation. This place is far better than many one star Michelin restaurants in the peninsula/South bay. It is that outstanding. The lobster preparation was the best I've ever had and the buffalo tenderloin was delicious and memorable. The 8-10 courses were varied with 4 seafoods, 1 veggie, 2 meats and 2 desserts with assorted amuse bouche in between. We look forward to our next dining experience with Ambience in the very near future.Special Features:
- A Real Adveture in Dining.pwcisloDined on 7/24/2014The multiple course dinner and wine pairings is a real adventure. We went for our tenth anniversary. Each course, more than 8, was served on different male and female plates selected by Chef Morgan Song. If was fun and delicious. Especially the lobster and buffalo courses. We asked for some special for dessert and Chef Song provided a spun sugar piece with Happy Anniversary written on it in chocolate. Definitely a place for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Top NotchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/15/2014We had the chef's tasting menu with wine pairings. The food was incredible and each bite was decilious. One of the best restaurant in the area. Beyond a Michelin star Caliver, it is a true gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SavoringcalDined on 7/5/2014Rich and full taste, portions quite large and numerous for chef's tasting menu, tasteful decor, delightful and artful presentation, nice to have them finally at Los Altos downtown !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another delicious eveningDeliciousDinerDined on 7/3/2014This was our second time to Ambience and once again we were not disappointed. There were some items that were the same (like the truffle kobe beef tartare which was once again amazing so I didn't mind the repeat), but most were seasonal and different than our previous visit. The plating was gorgeous as before and the wine pairings were yummy. We definitely noted some that we may pick some bottles up on our own. It's rare that we have a restaurant like this that we are equally happy the second time as the first. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Better than expectedFood4thoughtDined on 6/28/2014Wen to ambience with another couple. We were all very impressed with our eating experience. Service was amazing. We were there for four hours and had a great time. Expensive but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining in Los AltosLosAltosFanDined on 6/26/2014The food is excellent. Only a tick off the French Laundry, better than Manressa and certainly worthy of a Michelin star or two. I worry about the specific location. Although they have done a great job on the interior it is in a funny spot for a fine dining restaurant. I like the house and the courtyard where the French Laundry is located...it kind of supports the experience and this does not. That being said this is clearly a gifted chef, although he is a bit shy and not a self-promoter at all. The food was great. The wine pairing very good and I hope they develop a clientele and make it, as I would like to go back four or five times a year. I can't eat like this on a regular basis.
- Best in townchef2learnfromDined on 6/26/2014Ambiance has brought a new level of dining elegance to Los Altos. The fact that menu choices is limited means we get right into the dozen plus courses of selected for us by the super professional chef. How does he know what we like?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/19/2014This restaurant is a critique away from Michelin Star status. On the exterior it's quaint and low key.Once you open the door however, you are blown away by elegant art work, breath taking seating and alluring high class tapestry and linens. I've had a lot of fine dining experiences in my life and this restaurant puts Plumed Horse and Manresa to shame in every category. From 14 tantalizing courses you are taken on a journey of intricate flavors, quality ingredients and robust diversity to satisfy any pallet. Every plate that is brought to you is a piece of art both in vision and in taste. It is evident from the first course that the Chef is committed to perfection down to the tiniest detail. This is a can't miss experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is ExcellentDebRVIPDined on 6/2/2014The food was excellent and we loved the presentation. The menu is very limited if you have special dietary restrictions unless you give them 24 hour notice which we were unaware of. The wine pairings are just okay. A couple were good but most were very average. The wait staff was nice but needs a little more education on what they are serving for both food and wine. Overall, a nice place and worth trying.Special Features:
- Ambience is aging like a fine wineblennyDined on 5/31/2014My wife and I visited here for a second time. This experience was even more gratifying than before, thanks to the polished service and more extensive dinner menu. Chef offers several more gastronomic dishes in addition to his traditional courses. Molecular gastronomy aside, the cuisine is still predominantly French with a hint of Asian influence. Gorgeous plating, the best I've seen. We opted for the wine pairing, which was a healthy mix of complementary whites and reds, with sake and port thrown in for good measure. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food for ThoughtccredDined on 5/31/2014This latest latest iteration of Chef Song's is perhaps the best yet. It is a wonderful blend of molecular gastronomy, California fresh, and French fine dining. I'd recommend it to anyone who is looking for a meal that is worth waiting for, worth talking about while you're eating it, worth thinking about when you're done. Came here for my anniversary and can't wait to come back. If you come definitely try it with the wine pairing.Special Features:
- The following 54 reviews are from the Ambience reviews archive.
- Exceptional & gastronomical!MonicaLoves2EatDined on 5/19/2014From the moment you walk in to the restaurant to the last bite of your dessert, Ambience does not disappoint. Chef Song is definitely an artist when it comes to creating colorful and flavorful dishes. They offer a chef's tasting menu along with a list of fine, premium wines. The dishes are so exceptional, vibrant and delectable that every little morsel is not to be wasted - it is that good. The atmosphere was relaxing, intimate and elegant. The service was friendly, welcoming and knowledgable. Our server and the owners were very helpful with the wine pairings and explaining the gastronomy involved with some of the dishes. There was not a dish I did not like. This is definitely fine dining at its best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- email@example.comMarsidosDined on 5/17/2014The food was fantastic. They sure deserve at least one Michelin star. The service was great, very elegant but warm at the same time. The wine list was very nice too. We ran into great wines.Special Features:
- Great dining experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/16/2014What a memorable evening! The tasting menu was unbelievable with every course being more amazing than the previous. My favorite aspects were the variety of seafood and unique game items featured in a culinary adventure. The wine pairings enhanced the epicurean experience and is a definite must-have if desiring a complete culinary experience. I definitely will return for another lovely evening out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EndeDined on 5/10/2014Good food but little expensive for the location and service. The food is excellent compared to high end restaurant but. We were happy for Los Altos finally has good restaurant but they sure can use better helpers to survive.Special Features:
- Promising but still unpolishedBayAreaFoodieDined on 5/10/2014The food is creative and good, but not on the level of top Bay Area restaurants. The wine list and pairings are lacking. The service was well intentioned but far from the bracket they are trying to compete in. Tasting menu with wine pairings was about $600 all in for 2 people. If it were half of that I would say it was a great spot, but you simply expect more at that level.Special Features:
- Phenomenal-Los Altos Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/29/201415 course of Chef's tasting menu and wine pairings were phenomenal! The food was incredible, one of the very best meal I've ever experienced. Highly recommended and I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best restaurant within 20 milesSaiWaiVIPDined on 4/10/2014As good as Manresa, but different. The wine list is the weakness, including their wine glasses. They do welcome you bring your own wine. $40 corkage fee is reasonable, not cheap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasion in Los AltosKristineVIPDined on 3/22/2014The Ambience tasting menu was delicious and satisfying with at least 12 courses of small plates. It seemed to get better with every course, ending with an amazing venison or wild boar, and chocolate mouse cake or creme brulee, all cooked to perfection. The fish courses could have been more flavorful, but overall the meal was worth the fixed price. Our gracious host and waiter were both superb. Looking forward to returning on a busier night as this new restaurant becomes more known on the penninsula.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For longer date night sans kidsOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 3/18/2014First date night in over a month deserved a special destination and this delivered! Two tasting menus with a single wine pairing to split was plenty to drink and the food was excellent. Quiet, dim lighting, great choice of wines and knowledgeable staff made it a very welcome change of pace to scattered conversations amongst chaos at our other favorite, Bumble. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not Michelin Star GoodChefmasterJVIPDined on 3/17/2014Very refined techniques and fresh ingredients, but a little overwhelming in terms of flavors. The lobster, kobe beef tartare and venison were exceptional but the balance of the prix-fixe left us wanting more complexity. Decor is also a bit cold and empty although this may have been exaggerated by the slow night when we dined. We'd expect more for the price point.Special Features:
- Absolutely amazing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/15/2014I've been to many great restaurant all of the world, and I can truly say Ambience deserves it's superb fine dining experience. The staff was gregarious, in a world-impeccable. The restaurant itself is perfectly appointed for this kind of dining experience with elegant minimalism. As to the food- I've never experienced a menu that was intended to be a complete surprise; in fact, I didn't even know how many courses we had to look forward to, but they were all incredible, very creative. Entire experience was absolutely amazing, really appreciated it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional ExperienceTonyDined on 3/1/2014We enjoyed ourselves very much. Very elegant and inventive food. On a very short list of the best restaurants in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special Treat for My ValentineOk2uselaneDined on 2/14/2014The service at this restaurant was simply outstanding! The presentation of each course was beautiful, and appetizing (unlike some restaurants where you have to wonder if it will be good before you take a bite). Only two courses did not agree with my palate - but you might like it. First, the lobster, and I LOVE lobster, was served with a green roe on top. This made it taste fishy - a no no for lobster in my mind. Second, I'm not a big truffle fan. The Wagyu beef tar tar was bathed in truffle oil - that's all I could taste, truffle. I was hoping to get some beef flavor in there, but that never happened. All the other courses were amazing and our plates were as clean as we could get them! I would go to this restaurant again. Bon appetit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dinnertanyahDined on 2/13/2014Everything was so delicious! I 'm so excited that I don't need to go to SF for fine dining. Will definitely come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Evening to Savor at AmbienceLAH13VIPDined on 2/8/2014We dined at Ambience for a second time with friends. It was a Saturday night and quite busy. There are romantic corner tables and also a partitioned back area for a larger group. Morgan Song prepares delectable dishes that are works of art. We look forward to another evening at Ambience. It is expensive but well worth it. Perfect for special occasions. We are delighted to have such an outstanding restaurant in Los Altos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet Creativity in Los AltosprofessorfionaVIPDined on 2/7/2014An enticing, imaginative, opulent 12 course experience that began with two amuse bouche. Each plate is different, each course is tweaked for each diner, and the combination of molecular gastronomy with traditional cooking techniques makes your palate sing. Servers are extremely knowledgable, and the entire experience was first class.A gem in sleepy downtown Los Altos that provides a tremendous culinary adventure at a reasonable price. Day boat scallop, ahi tuna, chilean sea bass, venison,wild boar, luscious squab, and a superlative poison pate, it was all sublime. Thoughtful wine pairings too Gluten free options are excellent too.Special Features:
- Ambience in Los Altos a keeperBobMVIPDined on 2/5/2014I planned my wife's birthday dinner to try Ambience in Los Altos. Long suffering from a lack of top quality cuisine, Los Altos has a new gem. The weekday service was impeccable, and the chef was able to accommodate my wife's special dietary requests with aplomb. The sole choice involves a few options on an inspired tasting menu. Dishes were interesting and flavors subtle. In total, a complete joy. We'll be back many times more. Also the place has a nice comfortable layout, with options for a private room for only the price of the group dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and romanticDeliciousDinerDined on 1/31/2014We had an amazing time here. Everything was perfect. The food was delicious. Loved every single course. The presentation was beautiful. The wine pairings were excellent. Can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemPHenningsVIPDined on 1/31/2014There's a new kid in town that's going to give Chez TJ competition for being the best French cuisine on the peninsula. Elegant, thoughtful dishes prepared by skilled hands, brilliantly plated and sweetly served. One could not ask for more. Sheer poetic delight!Special Features:
- Great people and great service.luv2eatndrinkVIPDined on 1/22/2014Great people and great service. Food was very good. As much as I love Truffle, almost every dish had truffle. I would like to see a toning down of that and adding more non-truffle varieties. I think they could do better in bathroom signs (invest some money and have a better signs as opposed to looking like a bar) and the location of rest room is bad. Everyone can hear when the other person is in the toilet. Not appetizing ;) Inside ambiance is cozy, but by no means tasteful, almost boring. They could invest to pretty up the inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best on the PeninsulaGSPaloAltoVIPDined on 1/17/2014On the peninsula, we've been to Baume twice, Chez TJ twice. For the peninsula, this one was by far the most interesting and delicious (separate presentations, even of the same course) for my wife and I. Unique, but not fussy, combinations of sauce "eggs" and an early "caviar" theme in the dishes through the early courses. Palate cleanser, and then a transition to meats, nicely done. Bonus cheese plate dessert. Staff was attentive and knowledgeable. They were much more engaging than we're used to on the Peninsula, particularly for an upscale restaurant. Fixed price menu and wine pairing, reasonably priced (but not cheap). Comparable to the top flight restaurants; a hidden gem here on the peninsula and worth searching out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special Place for Special FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/31/2013Ambience has a Prix Fix Tasting Menu and adds Prix Fix Wine Tasting as well. We decided to share the Wine Tasting--turned out to be a good idea, although the pours are reasonable there is a different wine for each course. The Tasting Menu is the same for the first few courses and then offers a choice of two for the last 3 courses. Each of those choices were outstanding. Additionally, there were some special tasting courses since it was New Year's Eve. The restaurant was essentially full, but the time for dining was not rushed. A fantastic experience over all! We will need to maintain watch over the menu for its change when we return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.