Amberjax at Trinity Groves
3011 Gulden Lane
Dallas, TX 75212Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Amberjax at Trinity Groves
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.amberjax.net/
- Phone: (469) 513-9088
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Creole / Cajun / Southern, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Chef Larry Williams
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Amberjax at Trinity Groves
At AmberJax Fish Market Grille, we bring our guests the best and freshest seafood from around the world – whether you’re eating at our table or yours. Make a quick stop in the market to find an array of centerplate proteins including the freshest fish, seafood, and prime beef, along with healthy, ready-to-heat soups, gumbos, stocks, sides, and sundries. If you don’t feel like cooking, Chef Larry will do it for you with all the freshness and variety of the market at his disposal. We serve his special brand of luxury comfort food in our full service dining room, with a full bar and wine list to complement your meal. Whether you’re on the run or ready to relax and dine, the AmberJax family invites you to visit us in our new home next to the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge at Trinity Groves.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Amberjax at Trinity Groves reviews from OpenTable diners
127 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (60)neighborhood gem (47)great for lunch (40)hot spot (38)good for groups (36)special occasion (28)great for outdoor dining (16)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (10)great for brunch (9)notable wine list (8)scenic view (5)vibrant bar scene (5)romantic (4)Show More
- Great addition to Dallas fish sceneDallasDined on 3/15/2014Amberjax in Trinity Groves provides a solid alternative for those looking for casual seafood dining in Dallas. Featuring Gulf fish cooked in a sophisticated southern style, along with seafood based dinner salads, the menu caters to all palates. Salmon tartare and scallop appetizers are tops, as is the redfish entree. Bread pudding dessert is killer. Reservations book up quickly for weekends, and noise level goes up if the crowd waiting for their tables is hitting the bar hard, so booking a reservation for early or late might be the way to go. Staff, mostly owners' family, will bend over backwards to make your meal satisfying. It will be my go to spot for seafood eaters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/14/2014Amazing sevice, attention to detail and good flow. Food: exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You can't go wrongHelenRDined on 3/14/2014We've eaten at Amberjax many times and have enjoyed everything. The lobster roll is a must have, the flounder BLT is superb, the catfish Po'Boy will sing in your mouth, the lobster Mac and cheese is a beautiful thing, the blackened redfish sandwich is very yummy, the gumbo will make you cry and you can't go wrong with any of the fresh fish choices on the board! The cheese grits, collard greens, mixed veggies and red beans & rice as sides are all excellent. For appetizers, the crab cakes were ok, but we loved loved loved the cracker dippers -- need more crackers on the plate. For dessert, we recommend the key lime pie and the bread pudding, both are fabulous. I could go on & on. Finally, service is always good, even when it's very busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!ShoshannahDined on 3/12/2014This is a family-owned and family-run business. Everyone we came in contact with seemed excited to be there. They told us before we ordered that they would make any fish for us in any style we wanted. There were some special requests in the group, and the requests were carried out with no worries. Everything I had (crab cake, jalapeno cheese grits, slaw, and fudge pie, plus bites of everyone else's food) was excellent. I did not get one of the specials, since they all seemed to be citrus-themed, but the ones I tasted from the other plates could not have been better. I can't wait to go back enough times to try everything on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4 of us ate at Amberjax, onejsmegDined on 3/12/20144 of us ate at Amberjax, one of the new Trinity Groves restraurants. Atmosphere is very casual. Cocktails were weak and too sweet. Wine list was small. Recommended Pinot was undrinkable. Food was fairly expensive ($22-33) for main course of fish and two sides. Fish was pretty good but overcooked for some of our party. Sides (carrots, broccholi) were undercooked significantly. Service was poor with the bartender forced to wait on us. Dessert was out of a box. Overall a mediocre, expensive meal. Would not return. On the bright side, they do have a fresh fish for sale counter and the prices were reasonable.
- Third Fantastic MealOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/11/2014Just had my second dinner at Amberjax and everything was wonderful. Twice in one week! And a great lunch the week before. The trout Almondine was outstanding, key lime pie sublime, and service was impeccable.Special Features:
- I ordered scallops, but wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/9/2014I ordered scallops, but was told they were out. Then I ordered Steak Oscar, but was told they didn't have any steak. Then, I ordered clams, but was told they were out of clams. Then I was told they could make me a steak. Then they came back and said they couldn't make me a steak, but they could make me an order of clams. I ordered the clams, but have of them came with empty shells. In all fairness, they did not charge me for the clams. As the night progressed, the restaurant ran out of more and more menu items.
- Amberjax....a Trinity Grove jewelmcpacVIPDined on 3/9/2014Amberjax has been open since December 2013 and the crowds are discovering just how fresh and delicious seafood in Dallas can be! "The board" is full of fish and other seafood that was flown in that day and it is cooked to perfection. If you look at the regular menu, you will find features that are guaranteed to be there on a daily basis. The fish market section displays beautiful flounder, salmon, tilapia and others depending on that day's "catch." With the entire owners' family waiting on you and attending to your every need, the service is impeccable. Amberjax will be our new "go-to restaurant" for seafood in Dallas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amberjax was OKTed58Dined on 3/8/2014My dinner was OK, my wife didn't like her red beans and rice. I had the Filet Oscar which was so so. Took way too long to get my beer I had ordered. For the price the atmosphere was just way too loud for us. We felt sorry for those seated near the door; they had to keep their coats on due to the entrance opening to the harsh cold of Sat. night.Special Features:
- Fish was good but apps andOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/8/2014Fish was good but apps and sides nothing special. Specifically: stuffed mushrooms allegedly stuffed w crab and shrimp. Just tasted breadcrumbs and would have been dry without the heavy cream sauce. Caesar salad was just okay. Spinach as a side was strange. It was a generous portion that looked like a salad (keeping in mind I'd already had a salad) but part of it was cooked/wilted but most of it was raw. I would have expected it to be sautéed. Cheesy grits were forgettable. The blackened grouper was some of the best I've had and the trout w lemon butter sauce was good. Our server was very welcoming and did a great job.Special Features:
- Amberjax is gem in the makingPlanoJanDined on 3/8/2014If you love great seafood and Cajun food then you will love all of the choi.ces here. Be sure to read the chalkboard for the specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good as alwaysseniorVIPDined on 3/8/2014This was the fourth time in the last 4 weeks, 3 lunches and one dinner and they all have been excellent. The food is fresh and prepared with a Cajun's flair. The service is not only friendly but very efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Very noisy.LoveTryingNewPlacesVIPDined on 3/7/2014Hard to carry on a conversation. Otherwise fun place.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood Delight!GeneDined on 3/5/2014Great location, great service, wonderful ambiance and oh by the way the food is EXCELLENT!!!Special Features:
- Good but not great. FirstSeaul8terVIPDined on 3/5/2014Good but not great. First visit to Trinity Grove and plan to come back to sample other restaurants.Special Features:
- Working through the kinks.AmberjaxguestVIPDined on 3/1/2014Went Saturday night (3/1). Allow 10 minutes to deal with parking. The good: 1) Attentive service 2) Energy - active, vibrant atmosphere 3) Tuna tartare, gumbo - very good The bad: 1) The service lacks knowledge and after the basics, we heard too much of "our chef is from Louisiana, so the food is great." 2) Did not seem to care about the pace of service, even when we asked them to take their time. Definitely about turning tables. 3) Loud and louder - not good for business dinners or dates. 4) Crab cake had too much breading. I have to just stop ordering them anywhere in Dallas. Keep your expectations reasonable for seafood in Dallas. It's pricey for good quality seafood and superior quality is only at high-end places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafoodmarksDined on 3/1/2014Food was excellent with a Cajun flair. Great wine list that was reasonably priced. I would recommend it to anyone.Special Features:
- The food was excellent!eatoutoftenDined on 2/28/2014The food was excellent, the selection was great and the fish was very fresh. Great sides and desserts. The restaurant was pretty loud so don't expect to have any intimate conversations. Great for a group out to have a good time.Special Features:
- TrendyjeffroDined on 2/28/2014Good service and a fun atmosphere, but the food lacked character. Started with the home smoked salmon, great presentation, but lacked a nice smoke flavor. The crab cake entre was also bland. The blackend talapia was very nice, could also benifit from a little more spice.
- Table ready when arrived. SeatedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/27/2014Table ready when arrived. Seated immediately. Very lively and loud. Food excellent. Service good. Will return.Special Features:
- West Trinity Seafood HotspotaliciaDined on 2/27/2014Family-owned treat not to be missed. Solid menu supplemented by a myriad of daily choices on the blackboard. If fried oysters are available, they're a mouth-watering delight. Starters are outstanding and served in portions great for sharing at the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super fresh fish preparedOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/27/2014Super fresh fish prepared perfectly. Fried oyster basket app is outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant is a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/26/2014This restaurant is a great place. I drive out of the way just to come and enjoy the great food and wonderful staff.Special Features:
- Great all aroundBjackDined on 2/22/2014Everything we had was well prepared - fresh oysters, stuffed mushrooms, scallops and redfish. The peanut butter pie was unique and very tasty. Key lime pie also hit the spot. Great value in the wine list. Attentive and friendly service.Special Features:
- Very good casual seafood jointUNCDallasVIPDined on 2/22/2014Come for the food; stay for the energy. If it's ambience or a quiet romantic dinner you're looking for, this isn't the place. If you're looking for very good food, very good service and very reasonable prices...this is the spot. Don't even think about coming without a reservation. I can't wait to return!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not great...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2014Started out with a shrimp cocktail. I must say when our waitress set the shrimp down it had a VERY STRONG fishy smell. It ended up tasting okay, but nothing special. I ordered the shrimp and grits. I have had much tastier shrimp and grits at Ellen's Southern Kitchen. My dining companion had the sea bass and once again, nothing spectacular, especially for the price. We ordered a sweet potato as one of our sides and it was one of the smallest potatoes I have ever been served at a restaurant - especially for the price. I am glad to tried it out, but I definitely will not be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodB313VIPDined on 2/21/2014The food was outstanding seafood was fresh. Prepared in a very simple but incredibly flavorful manor. Waiter Kenneth was a blast and perfect character to match the spot. Will definitely be back. It definitely is loud so be ready for that. Will he great in the warmer months when the patio is open and the doors are opened upSpecial Features:
- As good as seafood gets inseniorVIPDined on 2/21/2014As good as seafood gets in Dallas. It is fresh and preparation and service excellentSpecial Features:
- RefreshingkrisVIPDined on 2/19/2014Amberjax's food is always good, love their sides as well as the seafood. Service can be a little uneven, but seems like everyone at Trinity Groves is struggling with this issue at times. This is a great, casual, consistently good dining choice.Special Features:
- Dynamic SeafoodjtmlsVIPDined on 2/15/2014The food was excellent and served efficiently. The style is straight forward--excellent ingredients prepared and delivered in a simple manner. Only issue is the noise--may be one of the noisiest restaurants I have ever eaten at. We went after the theater and it was still roaring at 11:00. I'll go again, but not at prime time.Special Features:
- I ate at Rex's regularly forIrodugyDined on 2/15/2014I ate at Rex's regularly for years. I went to Amberjax since Larry was the chef at Rex's. Their were many problems * $35 for halibut and then it was overcooked and very small at that. Also they sprinkled a bunch of cajun seasoning on it. Not the proper treatment for that fish! * Branzino was overcooked and again poor seasoning. * The oysters were shredded. No liquor left. * The only issue with the waitstaff was they had no real clue about the names of the oysters or the character.
- Valentine's Day dinnerKevinDFWDined on 2/14/2014My girlfriend & I went on Valentine's Day and habe never been there before. The only requirement my gf had was that it was a seafood place. I read the previous reviews of Amberjax online and figured we would try it out. As soon as we arrived we greeted warmly and shown to our table immediately. The service and food were great. The prices were very reasonable too. I am from the East Coast and love clams and they seem to be hard to find in the Dallas area. And as an added touch they gave us 2 complimentary choclate dipped strawberries. We will defintely be going back there again.Special Features:
- AmberjaxRemarkDined on 2/14/2014Food and service was excellent. It was hard to carry on a conversation with the person right next to you because of the extreme noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmberjaxJulieDined on 2/14/2014We love this restaurant and have been once a week for the past 4-5 weeks! The food is consistently good and we love our waitress, Ana! So glad a good, reasonably priced seafood restaurant is finally here in Dallas!!! Keep up the good work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh fish in trinity grovesKbwdfwDined on 2/14/2014Amberjax offers a varying menu of only the freshest fish, simply cooked and enhanced with healthy sauces. I have enjoyed salmon and mahi mahi with a pineapple salsa. The grits are a great side. Hope that your visit is on a night when fresh ceviche is offered as an appetizer. The decor is nothing special and it's very loud, but fresher fish is hard to find in Dallas. The whole trinity groves area is a vibrant addition to the Dallas restaurant scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines Dinner DelightDpevVIPDined on 2/14/2014This was a great place to come for dinner on Valentines day. The restaurant was not over crowded, we got seated promptly. The most notable was the service. Absolutely great, not overbearing, not too formal. Overall great experience, would come back to try some other fish dishes.Special Features:
- Service and Food Were FantasticBradVIPDined on 2/14/2014Both the food and service were fantastic. We will be back often.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh & funLadyFordDined on 2/14/2014Visited for Valentine's Day - we loved everything about this restaurant! Everything!!!! Can't wait to go back again next time we are in Dallas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great First Time ExperienceBookbindDined on 2/12/2014From the time we walked in the door everyone was very pleasant, attentative and helpful without being intrusive. We liked the ability mix and match our order. The food was pleasantly served and delicious. Great experience from appitizer to dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmberjaxJulieDined on 2/8/2014The food is outstanding and Ana is our favorite waitress! So glad a good, reasonably priced seafood restaurant has come to Dallas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.