Amber - West
221 Columbus Avenue
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
AsianPrice: $30 and under
Amber - West
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.amberwestside.com/
- Phone: (212) 799-8100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 3:00pm - 11:30pm, Saturday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:30pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese, Asian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We are providing the best quality of fresh fish to our customers for their weddings, birthday parties, rehearsal dinners, and corporate events, for 50 to 500 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Elton Pong 2127998100
A word from Amber - West
At Amber Restaurant, we turn the art of eating, whether by yourself or with a group of friends into an experience which will never be forgotten. The decor, the friendly staff together with the fusion of Asian cuisine is what makes us unique. For your dining pleasure our chefs offer a deliciously unique cuisine, combining the bold flavors of Asia with delicate French essences, our menu features the jighest quality ingredients served family style, and the results are magical.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
Amber - West - Best Restaurants in Upper West Side ›
Amber - West reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (9)romantic (5)special occasion (3)good for groups (3)great for lunch (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (2)hot spot (2)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (2)fit for foodies (2)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Hot hostesses- bad tempuraFoodieMDVIPDined on 11/21/2014The hostesses and bartenders at Amber were a truly attractive bunch and the restaurant has a nice vibe- busy but not overwhelming. We ordered some hot appetizers and a large plate of sushi for three people. The duck spring rolls were fatty and stringy but being duck still had decent flavor. The shrimp tempura however was another thing. With no discernible shrimp flavor this was a rock-hard cylinder of gritty, tasteless fried dough. I can just imagine the same thing wrapped in rice for the tempura roll but thankfully we didn't order that. The sushi was nicely presented and just fair as flavor goes. Nothing special but not terrible either. If you go stick to sushi.
- Interesting Menu Diverse ChoicesNikki10023VIPDined on 11/5/2014Amber serves Asian Fusion dishes. I eat on the enclosed terrace which is not particularly special but is much quieter than their very attractive dining room. The service is fine and the food very well done. I have enjoyed their Sashimi & Sushi which is beautifully presented. Their Pad Thai and Satay is also delicious. Everyone I have dined with here has been pleased with their choices. The prices are definitely fair. I recommend this for lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very NiceAnnieBzDined on 11/2/2014Good food, fast & friendly but not in-your-face service. Dessert menu wasn't outstanding but the sushi and miso soup were great.Special Features:
- Nice place to eatymcebsVIPDined on 11/2/2014This restaurant is very nice, food was good and so was the service. The only problem was that they have a B rating from NYC Dept. of Health, which I saw only after I arrived to the restaurant. I usually do not eat in any place that does not have an A rating.
- Food just OKdinerDined on 10/25/2014Only can speak about the Pad Thai. Was good but there are much better places in the neighborhood for this dish. Service and atmosphere were both good. I wish Open Table would give restaurant NYC Health Settings. The person I was with does not want to eat at restaurants with other than an "A."
- Food quality is fineNYC2EATDined on 10/20/2014Food quality is fine, wouldn't refuse to eat anything, and I'm a sushi eater. It's just fine, and given the price point, about what I'd expect in NYC. Anything lower quality for this price would not make the grade. But the service was poor: forgot items and drinks completely, didn't return regularly. Granted, it was a very, very quiet night for them, but I would think this would motivate them to be even more attentive. Not the case.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/20/2014Have been to the restaurant before. If this was not an off night it means the place is not worth going to anymore. Service not attentive, food poor - too much sweet sauce, bland seasoning and less than fresh fish. very disappointed.
- hipock56Dined on 9/13/2014Reasonably priced, well presented and tasty. Enjoyed everything I ate. I had a house cocktail that was delicious. I would definitely go back to Amber West again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ENJOYVIPDined on 8/28/2014Amber has a terrific lunch special during the weekSpecial Features:
- Nice PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014I met a date there for a first meeting. It is a nice place. Great atmosphere. romantic. were able to talk comfortably. Not too loud. Will definitely go again.Special Features:
- catgirlflVIPDined on 8/15/2014The food is better than the service. The waitstaff appear disorganized and unfocused.
- quiet restaurantdatedinerDined on 7/31/2014Good place to go if you can't get a reservation else where. Presentation was good. Not many vegetarian selections. The food was okay but not great.
- The following 261 reviews are from the Amber - West reviews archive.
- Ask for the Buddha room in back!NYCGourmandVIPDined on 7/23/2014The best kept secret about this place isn't the "view of Columbus Avenue" comings and goings on the fashionable UWS around the corner from the The Dakota. It's the back room (and a huge, expansive room at that with a giant Buddha and a koi pond!) with's its dark, cozy setting and exposed brick. Cooked and raw Japanese dishes are prepared with finesse here and there are no surprises. Bar scene seems rollicking but the back room feels like you're eating in an exotic museum restaurant far away from NYCl; it's a very cool and inviting space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KickedoutDined on 6/20/2014Very rude when it was time to close.. Me and my husband had bought a bottle if wine they tried taking that but only got away with the candle light that was on the table for our dinner. Tsk tsk tsk.Special Features:
- EljayceeEljayceeVIPDined on 6/1/2014Food and portions wonderful. Well prepared. Try the back large dining room. Worth a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect sushiGoodVIPDined on 5/28/2014Nice choice for upper west side . I order sushi and sashimi for 2 and was very good. Try a norte of hot sake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cuisinedinerDined on 4/5/2014Food excellent. Choice of appetizers, entrees - good mix.Special Features:
- One of our FavoritesSheil31VIPDined on 4/3/2014The food is consistently delicious and plentiful. We went on a Thursday night and sat in the back room which was quiet even though there many diners there. It is one of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- We loved it! Lively, professional,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/22/2014We loved it! Lively, professional, and delicious veg options....Special Features:
- Awesome AppetizersAnneKDined on 3/20/2014Great place to dine before a show. Chicken lettuce wrap appetizer was a hearty serving with a medley of flavors. Shrimp and pork dumplings were delicate in ginger soy sauce. Salmon with avocado and asparagus was very filling. Would be great for a group to share. Real fusion menu. You can sit indoors near a window, hang out at the bar or dine in the rear. Always pleased with service.Special Features:
- Great sushi, great vibesdinergurlDined on 3/8/2014The service was excellent, as was the food. Very happy with our experience – will definitely be back at Amber sometime soon.Special Features:
- good fare at fair prices withsunshineVIPDined on 2/27/2014good fare at fair prices with sometimes a too loud noise level; wish they could create something more to absorb sound so that one could carry on a conversation without shouting.I would recommend this to a friend.
- too slowOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/22/2014while food,was good, service was slow and I expressed concern that we might not be able to eat our mains due to how long everything took. Our server was going to pack it for us to take if it wasn't right out (not at all our preference) all the while promising it would be right out( it wasn't) and we had a show to catch. We gave our meal 1 1/2 hours which was more than enough time. We were stressed and had to practically run to our destination.Special Features:
- Too loud and too uglyfoodieVIPDined on 2/20/2014While the food is very good, the restaurant is poorly decorated, worn, a bit shabby and very noisy. Best to get take out here.Special Features:
- So disappointingParisianfoodieVIPDined on 2/15/2014Average sushis (exclusively tuna and salmon in the Brunch Deluxe), cold Miso soup, fountain sodas and beers , overpriced, rude waitress, no kids menu at brunch... I did leave 8% tip only and it was already very generous from me. Not recommended!
- Great find on UWStootsDined on 1/26/2014Amber is a top pick for brunch before heading over to Lincoln Center. The menu is great and the price is right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Fusion RestaurantSheil31VIPDined on 1/18/2014This is our favorite Asian Fusion restaurant. The food is consistently good. The back room has a big Buddha statue and has a different feel than the dining area in the front that looks at on the street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our NYC favoriteFoodieJuneVIPDined on 1/17/2014I was born in NYC. My husband lived there 40 years so we accept him as a New Yorker. We now live in Sarasota, FL, where the food and music equal that in NYC in both quality and quantity. But, when we go back to NYC, for work or play, we head to Amber. It's become our favorite NYC Asian restaurant. We dive into the whole fried snapper and crave it when we're not in town. Everything's good but that dish is exceptional. Can't find it anywhere else. It's crispy, not greasy in any way, spicy and crave-producing. Also love the sushi, dumplings and veggies. Great restaurant. Wish they'd open a branch in Sarasota.Special Features:
- A step up from your everyday sushiKittynomsDined on 12/20/2013Amber is always a reliable choice for sushi or fusion. Cocktails are amazing, prices are very good, especially at lunch or happy hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent asian foodNickygVIPDined on 12/14/2013it is a mix of Thai, chinese and japanese so perfect for us since i do not enjoy sushi excellent Thai green curry and my god daughter loved the sushi
- One of my favorite sushi places!CDG1020VIPDined on 12/10/2013I love Amber-West! One of my favorite go-to sushi restaurants!Special Features:
- Nice spot before Lincoln centerCarolineDined on 12/6/2013We ate here before going to a performance at Lincoln center. Very nice choice although they push you out of the restaurant very fast.
- So-SoKatherineVIPDined on 12/6/2013I wish I could say that Amber-West lived up to the diner reviews I had read but although the ambience and the service were both very good, the food was only fair. The pad thai, recommended to us by our waiter, was so-so. If that's as good as it gets, it isn't worth going back to try something else, especially if you're a foodie.I would recommend this to a friend.
- UES BetterAnonymousVIPDined on 11/29/2013Don't bother, there are other sushi/japanese that are alot better.
- Amber is my go to place forOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/14/2013Amber is my go to place for sushi, always a great meal.Special Features:
- Great ThaiFoody21Dined on 11/9/2013Amazing attentive service. Great authentic Thai. The sushi was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good sushi near Lincoln CentergabrijVIPDined on 11/8/2013This place is very hot - the online reviews were phenomenal, and the bar was abuzz when I walked in. The setting is very attractive - modern with a touch of tradition. The meal was above average - quite honestly, i've had better sushi, but this was clearly a step above the two others I've tried in the neighborhood, and it's probably now my favorite sushi place around Lincoln Center.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great and a bargainKarenBVIPDined on 10/31/2013One of our usual haunts...the lunch specials are a terrific bargain. Sashimi, soup and salad for around 15.00. I always like the tempura shrimp, w vegetables, spring roll soup and salad 12.00 Everything terrific . For uws its a steal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The menu has been revampedsunshineVIPDined on 10/24/2013The menu has been revamped to reflect more sushi choices but there are still some of their cooked dishes from which to choose if you like. When the noise level is down as it was this time, it was truly pleasant and the greeting from everyone when you enter is always welcome as well as the attentive service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeNatiDined on 10/19/2013Fairly priced and great tasting food. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.