Amber - West
221 Columbus Avenue
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
AsianPrice: $30 and under
Amber - West
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.amberwestside.com/
- Phone: (212) 799-8100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 3:00pm - 11:30pm, Saturday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:30pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese, Asian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We are providing the best quality of fresh fish to our customers for their weddings, birthday parties, rehearsal dinners, and corporate events, for 50 to 500 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Elton Pong 2127998100
A word from Amber - West
At Amber Restaurant, we turn the art of eating, whether by yourself or with a group of friends into an experience which will never be forgotten. The decor, the friendly staff together with the fusion of Asian cuisine is what makes us unique. For your dining pleasure our chefs offer a deliciously unique cuisine, combining the bold flavors of Asia with delicate French essences, our menu features the jighest quality ingredients served family style, and the results are magical.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
Amber - West - Best Restaurants in Upper West Side ›
Amber - West reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (9)romantic (5)special occasion (3)good for groups (3)great for lunch (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (2)hot spot (2)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (2)fit for foodies (2)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Very limited menu. This isReenaVIPDined on 7/22/2012Very limited menu. This is our 2nd time here and I've eaten everything I would ever want. The back room is very dark, difficult to read the menu or see your food. Just as we were finished a family arrived at the next table with a crying infant. We were gone. We will not return.
- Good food, nothing special,ejanszkDined on 7/21/2012Good food, nothing special, but it was a quick and tasty meal before going to the movies. No complaints at all.Special Features:
- The meal was very good, ourOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/13/2012The meal was very good, our waitress was very helpful and recommended some really good sushi rolls. She was very freindly and helpful and made the restaurant meal that much better. The restuarant was quiet but nice, we sat at the front of the restuaurant and we were not disappointed in the meal. I was recommended this restuaruant by a friend and was not dissapointed in the experience. I went with a friend and for just two girlfriends out for a dinner it was a bit quiet but the food more than made up for it. I would definitely recommend it to others especially for a more romantic setting.Special Features:
- An abundance of selectionsmamamiaDined on 6/26/2012An abundance of selections satisfied the varied tastes of our party of three. The food was beautifully presented and was prepared with fresh ingredients. The wait staff was pleasant and attentive. Happy hour prices were great. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Awful awful servicetheirfanVIPDined on 6/23/2012What on earth is going on with that guy bartender? And all the other bar staff??? Had to ask for water FOUR times.. Would not give me a menu for food. It took ten minutes fr the menu twenty for the water. I understand he liked his baseball game but jeez... Don't try to order food or drink and certainly not water.
- over-priced for neighborhoodbunnysbestDined on 6/23/2012over-priced for neighborhood spot. Food is OK - plentiful but not great.
- Service was slow. Took a longOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/19/2012Service was slow. Took a long time to get cocktail ordered. Appetizers came to the table before the cocktail order was sent to the table.
- Worth a visitDChandlerDined on 6/13/2012unassuming from the outside. Nice modern decor on the inside. I was pleasantly surprised by my visit to Amber West. Service was a bit dry, but attentive.Special Features:
- Awesome Asian Fusion diningOPERAGALSDined on 6/12/2012This LIncoln Center area Asian fusion restaurant is just great. Most affordable for lunch, the choice of Japanese, Chines and even Thai dishes are stunningly prepared, and always wonderful. I found table service to be inconsistent, and anyone seated near the windows in winter had better be prepared to wear their coat throughout their meal. The banquet room in the back is a find; large, good for bigger parties, and with a different atmosphere than the front of the restaurant. Bathrooms are creatively designed, staff is friendly, and they are willing to honor special requests. Its' a regular for me for Japanese food (not in my neighborhood). Very enjoyable.Special Features:
- We were never sure who wasDrCathyDined on 6/11/2012We were never sure who was actually our waiter. When we asked for water, it arrived without ice, and we assumed that it was served that way. As the restaurant filled up, we noticed that everyone else was given water with ice; when I asked one waiter about it, I joked with "Why didn't we get water with ice, because we didn't have you for a waiter?" Restaurant smelled fishy when we walked in...not a good sign for sushi! After we were finished eating, we had to flag someone down (not our waiter) to get the check, then waited forever for change. I would find another sushi restaurant next time; picked this one because it was close to the location where we were conducting business...nice neighborhood, tho.
- nice sushi spot with goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/9/2012nice sushi spot with good food. Been there multiple times and always been good. Also really like their thai soup....Special Features:
- DisappointingAnonymousDined on 5/31/2012Have eaten there several times - about every 6 months. Place is getting tired. Menus are held together by scotch tape, tastiness of food was mundane. Doubt I'll go back.
- Excellent food. InterestingJuill123Dined on 5/25/2012Excellent food. Interesting and varied menu. Get there early if you wanta quiet window table. Convenient to Lincoln Center.Special Features:
- have always enjoyed comingsunshineVIPDined on 5/16/2012have always enjoyed coming here but unfortunately this time the noise from lots of loud customers spoiled our meal; we couldn't wait to leave. maybe they need to install some sound-damping devices.
- The restaurant was very noisyReenaVIPDined on 5/13/2012The restaurant was very noisy and much too dark. The portions were tasty, but very small. I ordered crispy duck and the duck was very fatty and maybe there were three pieces. I don't know the exact number because I couldn't see my plate. Also included on my square plate in each of the corners were large pieces of bok choy including the bulbs. Not edible. Since I had so little to eat I had dessert, which I rarely do, but I was hungry and it was Mother's Day. I ordered the lava cake. It came to the table with a large scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of the cake, because it was awful. My husband's meal was okay as was my son's- nothing to recommend. I would not return.
- Excellent!! Just for yourOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/9/2012Excellent!! Just for your info, If you like spicy food... You should try their traditional panggang shrimp/fish, it was soo delicious and also not to mention their ocean roll and the angry lobster roll... the best ever!Special Features:
- Never DisappointedcaroleDined on 3/31/2012Have found the food consistently good and I have been eating at Amber since it opened several years ago.Special Features:
- the price of there food increased,ENJOYVIPDined on 3/19/2012the price of there food increased, menu changed with price increase and everyone at the table should be served at the same time
- Attended by mutiple servingBigAppleVIPDined on 3/17/2012Attended by mutiple serving staff and attentive to start but then slightly ignored.Special Features:
- The food here is good. ICather123VIPDined on 3/12/2012The food here is good. I had the fish in banana leaf with spicy sauce. It was tasty, although too heavy on the bell peppers for me. The sushi that my son had looked good, and he liked it well enough. The place is very comfortable, and the staff aims to please. For the area, the prices are fair. All in all we will probably return.Special Features:
- Quick Lincoln Center RestaurantSugarmanDined on 3/10/2012Food was good, not exceptional. Basil chicken was tasty, but not authentic Thai. It tasted more like the chef was Chinese trying to cook Thai but missing the mark.
- I have eaten here quite aOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/24/2012I have eaten here quite a bit. Everything I have ordered is so yummy and very reasonably priced.Special Features:
- great restaurant for a quickOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/23/2012great restaurant for a quick meal before a performance at Lincoln CenterSpecial Features:
- Save your moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/20/2012Not a huge fan. The place smells like fish (which a good sushi place should not). I had the seaweed salad which was actually good, but I can't say the same for the rest of my meal. The red dragon roll was so bad I had to send it back and the pineapple fried rice was etible at best. Skip Amber and check out Citrus right down the street.Special Features:
- Our reservation (on a SaturdayOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/11/2012Our reservation (on a Saturday evening)was promptly accommodated; food was excellent and much enjoyed; service was friendly and efficient. (The front desk staff seem a little cool.) The place has a pleasant ambiance with an oriental flavor; our only gripe was the noise level - which was high.Special Features:
- This is a great neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/8/2012This is a great neighborhood spot. I come here often and am always excited to come back.
- Ambience and decor are betterBirthdayGirlVIPDined on 2/7/2012Ambience and decor are better at the Eastsisr Amber. Back room was cold.Special Features:
- Amber West has a terrificENJOYVIPDined on 2/7/2012Amber West has a terrific lunch special during the week not on weekends EnjoySpecial Features:
- There were four of us meetingNorthShoreFoodieDined on 2/4/2012There were four of us meeting before the ballet. We were seated promptly and given plenty of time to look at the menu - important since we were first time diners there - even though the room began filling up right after we arrived. Food was very good and the service perfect - helpful, but unobtrusive.Special Features:
- always a pleasure eating heresunshineVIPDined on 1/31/2012always a pleasure eating here and when you can get them to serve more slowly, it is even better.
- The sushi here is incredible.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/28/2012The sushi here is incredible. Nothing wrong with the service or ambience, but you come here for the food! I was very impressed not only with the quality of the sushi, but the creative choice of rolls. I'd come back for the Red Hot Dragon!Special Features:
- I'd been to ths restuarantOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/27/2012I'd been to ths restuarant over the years for lunch and decided to go hear for a dinner date. A few things made it not a good experience:The food is noticably worse than before and the menu does not offer as much as it used to. The food is also very over priced for what is essentially be cheap Asian food. Service was like fast food place. I and my date ordered food, but my plate came 30 minutes before hers. That should never happenNoisy, chaotic fast food vibe with lots of kids. You quickly notice that there are only a few 'good' seats with good view (despite what you see of the archticture from outside) Despite having a reservation, I was seated next to the door. There was lots of foot traffic and being winter, it was a b
- Great for a dateOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/24/2012We've been wanting to try this place for a while, and I'm glad we did. We started with Vietnamese spring rolls, which were very good. Then we shared a pad thai shrimp and the tangerine chicken with white rice. We were very pleased with the entire meal, although the pad thai's flavor was a bit bland. I would definitely go back and try some new items. I also really like that seating. There are large windows with nice private tables so you can enjoy your meal and people watch.Special Features:
- Until my last visit, I wasChoppedVIPDined on 1/12/2012Until my last visit, I was always been a fan of Amber. They recently halved their menu so they are now offering fewer options for diners. The waiter responded with attitude when I asked him about changes made to the menu. I am unsure if I will return to Amber, especially given the huge selection available at other nearby restuarants.
- My only complaint is thatBillDined on 1/10/2012My only complaint is that they don't serve ginger ice cream. In fact, the waiter had never heard of it. But the boiler-plate-for-a-Japanese-restaurant green tea ice cream was very good. I need something sweet and sharp after sushi and sashimi, and ginger is the perfect thing. We ordered the Sushi and Sashimi for two, and it was beyond delicious as well as very beautiful. I love this place.
- you have to be careful heresunshineVIPDined on 12/25/2011you have to be careful here since they will rush you so measure your pace and order slowly.
- Consistency Counts.caroleDined on 12/18/2011I have found the food consistently good.And the presentation is always beautiful. I never have a moments hesitation about taking guests there for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- large variety of choices.brunatVIPDined on 12/17/2011large variety of choices. We had sushi,duck,and a wonderful red snapper dish.Location within walking distance from Lincoln Center. Overall great experienceSpecial Features:
- Noise levelEllenVIPDined on 12/2/2011Much too loud in the back room. Nothing to absorb the noise. Couldn't even hear the couple that we were with. Very disappointed. All had headaches from yelling. Good food and good service, but not worth the huge noise level.Special Features:
- This was a very busy night;happyVIPDined on 11/25/2011This was a very busy night; so, we were requested to wait in the bar area for our reserved seat until our entire party arrived (an inconsistent policy -while we waited at a table in the bar area, we were asked to move so a woman could sit at her reserved table AND WAIT FOR HER PARTY TO ARRIVE-which we saw as we waited in the narrow entry way). After being seated, our stressed waiter hurried to take our drink and food order and then DISAPPEARED. Our meals were delivered and soon after, the busboy cleared the dishes from the table, but we had to wait over 30 minutes for a waiter of any kind to look our way for the check, not to mention another glass of water. The food is good, but on a busy night, don't expect attentive service.Special Features: