Amber - West
221 Columbus Avenue
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
AsianPrice: $30 and under
Amber - West
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.amberwestside.com/
- Phone: 2127998100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 3:00pm - 11:30pm, Saturday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:30pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese, Asian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We are providing the best quality of fresh fish to our customers for their weddings, birthday parties, rehearsal dinners, and corporate events, for 50 to 500 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Elton Pong 2127998100
A word from Amber - West
At Amber Restaurant, we turn the art of eating, whether by yourself or with a group of friends into an experience which will never be forgotten. The decor, the friendly staff together with the fusion of Asian cuisine is what makes us unique. For your dining pleasure our chefs offer a deliciously unique cuisine, combining the bold flavors of Asia with delicate French essences, our menu features the jighest quality ingredients served family style, and the results are magical.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
Amber - West - Best Restaurants in Upper West Side ›
Amber - West reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (12)romantic (9)good for groups (7)late-night find (4)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (3)fit for foodies (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (2)special occasion (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Always excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/5/2013It is wonderful to have a restaurant you know you can always count on for a terrific meal and this is one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food at moderate pricesYumYumVIPDined on 5/18/2013Amber West is always reliable for delicious food, good service in a nice environment. Don't expect great wine, but the food is great.Special Features:
- The food is very goodlovetodine1988Dined on 5/12/2013The food at Amber's West is very tasty. This was my second time coming here and had a good experience. The servers are very friendly. The restaurant is a little too dark, but not so dark that you can't see your food. The portions are a lot, which is good because you can share your plate. I will definitely recommend this place to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once ReliableOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/11/2013Usually a reliable neighborhood favorite for sushi and other Asian fusion, but not tonight. The sushi chef,s special was terrible. Extremely thin tasteless cuts that left me hungry. Not as reliable as it used to be,o
- amusing confusionlunchbrunchDined on 5/11/2013We came Saturday for lunch but were told-no lunch menu just brunch. (this was not clear on the website). But brunch was very generous soup,salad, appetizer main course and TWO drinks. Since we had to go to a show at 200 P.M. we only took one alcoholic drink and tea. Not too many people in the restaurant. The food e.g. basil chicken, sushi was very good. Excellent for people who don't want an eggy brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great dinner at Amber..compOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/9/2013Another great dinner at Amber..complimentary edamame to start and green tea ice cream to finish is a much appreciated special touch. That plus super friendly service and delicious food make Amber our go to spot for sushi- thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good-not-great sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/3/2013Went to amber-west on a Friday with a 4 friends. We were a little early for our reservation and they entire party wasn't there yet but they sat us anyway because there wasn't room for us at the bar. We ordered a few sushi rolls and a sushi/sashimi platter for two. All was quite good, and the fish was fresh but it just wasn't anything really special especially considering the price and size of the rolls. All and all though I would go back and recommend it to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were a bit late and theyglodziegirlDined on 4/27/2013We were a bit late and they were very accommodating and still got us out in time for our show. Wonderful tempura, and sushi rolls!
- Love it at Amber - West!WineNDineVIPDined on 4/19/2013Absolutely love the restaurant, the food, the staff, the wine.... my two favorite dishes are the Tangerine Chicken and the Chicken pad Thai... sooooo good!Special Features:
- Nothing geatOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/18/2013They open at 5pm for dinner, but we happen to walk in an hr and they still let us sit down which was great. i ordered the "champagne teaser" from the cocktail menu that was just some bubbly with dried cranberries. i like champagne so it was ok. I had the duck spring rolls but most of the meat inside was fat in mine. for dinner i had the angry bird which was topped with a yummy lobster salad but over all the sushi was OK. the pineapple fried rice was OK, ive had better. prices were moderate. if you want an experience, sit all the way in the back of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Sushi was fair. Nothing toCFJEBVIPDined on 4/17/2013Sushi was fair. Nothing to write about. Did not feel fresh to us. Would not go back. Not worth the money.
- Food and service was veryKathVIPDined on 4/7/2013Food and service was very good but had noisy kids there that was disruptive.Special Features:
- Excellent Thai dishes. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/2/2013Excellent Thai dishes. Service was occasionally attentive.Special Features:
- What a surprise find! AfterOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/30/2013What a surprise find! After being in the neighborhood for years we finally went inside--and loved it! We want to go back soon.Special Features:
- Found this place on Open TableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/26/2013Found this place on Open Table and was so glad we went. Sushi lunch was delicious. Our kids loved it and the staff was fantastic.Special Features:
- One disappointment - the panjoyboyVIPDined on 3/6/2013One disappointment - the pan fried dumplings had little taste. Nice back room and efficient and pleasant service. Enjoyed the sushi, etc.Special Features:
- Consistently good food. ItSheil31VIPDined on 1/19/2013Consistently good food. It is one of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- Was looking for a pre-LincolnOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/5/2013Was looking for a pre-Lincoln Center restaurant, and came across Amber. A few blocks away, but not too far. Found the place to be hopping (a positive), sat in back room (still quite busy but quieter), nice decor, large menu (Asian Fusion), good food, good drinks. We had drinks, appetizers and main dishes, and still got out of there within an hour (without being rushed). Good to know for the future when attending a performance at Lincoln Center.Special Features:
- Everything was perfect. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/3/2013Everything was perfect. The food, as always, was wonderful. The service was delightful. We love Amber, one of our favorite Upper West Side places.Special Features:
- Service: a comeback story.FoodFlowerVIPDined on 12/23/2012Service: a comeback story. Originally renowned for patchy & neglectful service, my recent experience there left me feeling so welcome and attended to. Food has always been tasty.Special Features:
- We came here after a LincolnOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/7/2012We came here after a Lincoln Center performance so excited about trying Amber's sushi. When we walked in, the main area smelled fishy. We gave four rolls a try and none I would describe as good. It was a very disappointing experience.Special Features:
- I was disappointed on thisdreamgoddessVIPDined on 11/29/2012I was disappointed on this visit to Amber. I thought the food was just okay and the ambiance on the side porch was not very appealing to me. The waiter was very attentive and helpful, but the rest of the experience was disappointing.
- This was a great ThanksgivingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/22/2012This was a great Thanksgiving alternative for us while we were visiting the city over the holidays. The sushi was creative and fresh, while the setting was relaxing and sophisticated. I'd love to go back in the Spring to enjoy some outdoor dining.Special Features:
- This is my go-to place beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2012This is my go-to place before I have a show down at Lincoln Center. Pretty affordable, within walking distance, and a respectable menu. I wish it were a bit cheaper, but it's a solid choice for sushi.
- The decor and ambiance areInkedFoodieDined on 11/9/2012The decor and ambiance are great but the service is horrible. Came here on a Friday night and our waitress was almost nonexsistent. Ordered crispy calamari for appetizer and it was not crispy at all it was chewy and the breading reminded me of how fast food places order frozen onion rings. Also for $10 I expected a decent portion, and we only recieved about 10, I have recieved more at Olive Garden. Service was not up to par so I did not tip as one would expect and the waitress approached me and asked why I did not tip more and I looked at her in surprise for having the nerve to question me and I said we were not happy and she's like ok thank you. I thought that was extremely unprofessional. Not pleased, will not be returning.
- Great "brunch" combo on Sat. & Sun.skardmVIPDined on 10/27/2012Great "brunch" on Saturday. Plenty to eat since it included soup, salad, appetizer, entree, AND 2 drinks for $16 - $19.Special Features:
- Unusually disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/9/2012I usually recommend Amber unequivocally. It was a consistent place for lunch, with reasonable prices and good food. This time, I was a bit disappointed. The service was more inattentive than usual (we had to ask three times for water and our server brought our check without bothering to ask if we wanted dessert - which we did). Also, the servings used to be quite generous. This time, the salad was skimpy (I had more dressing than lettuce), and the green curry was a few vegetables thrown on a plate. I literally had ONE chunk of tofu in my entire curry. They used to serve this dish in a deep bowl, allowing for ample portions and much leftover "sauce." I did not even have enough curry to eat my rice. What happened, Amber?
- We love Amber. Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/5/2012We love Amber. Great food and environment. Works well on that romantic date yet is also very accommodating for families.Special Features:
- Notch AbovedeegieDined on 9/26/2012Solid Asian, several notches above norm with prices to match
- Excellent Japanese foodJuill123Dined on 9/11/2012excellent sushi, sashimi, grilled fish. Everything I've eaten has been very good to excellent. Seats near the windows are terrific for me. Quiet and peaceful, but can be hard to get. Inside it can be noisy. I love this restaurant.Special Features:
- consistently good. nevertheirfanVIPDined on 8/28/2012consistently good. never a bad meal. well managed.. pleasant and attentive staff.
- Amber is my go-to spot forOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/4/2012Amber is my go-to spot for sushi-fresh fish and ample size rolls. Always appreciate the complimentary edamame from my favorite waiter! Thanks for another great dinner- we'll be back at Amber soon!Special Features:
- always friendly and efficient.....bOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/26/2012always friendly and efficient.....bar like atmosphere at the front, much more relaxed in the back part of the restaurant....fine asian fusion foodSpecial Features:
- Very limited menu. This isReenaVIPDined on 7/22/2012Very limited menu. This is our 2nd time here and I've eaten everything I would ever want. The back room is very dark, difficult to read the menu or see your food. Just as we were finished a family arrived at the next table with a crying infant. We were gone. We will not return.
- Good food, nothing special,ejanszkDined on 7/21/2012Good food, nothing special, but it was a quick and tasty meal before going to the movies. No complaints at all.Special Features:
- The meal was very good, ourOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/13/2012The meal was very good, our waitress was very helpful and recommended some really good sushi rolls. She was very freindly and helpful and made the restaurant meal that much better. The restuarant was quiet but nice, we sat at the front of the restuaurant and we were not disappointed in the meal. I was recommended this restuaruant by a friend and was not dissapointed in the experience. I went with a friend and for just two girlfriends out for a dinner it was a bit quiet but the food more than made up for it. I would definitely recommend it to others especially for a more romantic setting.Special Features:
- An abundance of selectionsmamamiaDined on 6/26/2012An abundance of selections satisfied the varied tastes of our party of three. The food was beautifully presented and was prepared with fresh ingredients. The wait staff was pleasant and attentive. Happy hour prices were great. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Awful awful servicetheirfanVIPDined on 6/23/2012What on earth is going on with that guy bartender? And all the other bar staff??? Had to ask for water FOUR times.. Would not give me a menu for food. It took ten minutes fr the menu twenty for the water. I understand he liked his baseball game but jeez... Don't try to order food or drink and certainly not water.
- over-priced for neighborhoodbunnysbestDined on 6/23/2012over-priced for neighborhood spot. Food is OK - plentiful but not great.
- Service was slow. Took a longOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/19/2012Service was slow. Took a long time to get cocktail ordered. Appetizers came to the table before the cocktail order was sent to the table.