Amber Upper East
1406 3rd Avenue
New York, NY 10075Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Amber Upper East
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.amberuppereast.com/
- Phone: 2122495020
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: 5:00pm - 11:30pm 7 days a week; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese, Asian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Bo Lee 2122495020
A word from Amber Upper East
Amber Upper East is located on the corner of 80th and 3rd Avenue. We serve Japanese and Asian cuisines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Amber Upper East reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (14)great for outdoor dining (10)good for groups (6)kid-friendly (5)fit for foodies (5)vibrant bar scene (3)great for lunch (3)special occasion (2)romantic (2)hot spot (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- LoveFoodVIPDined on 8/24/2014Very reasonably priced for brunch. Love the three course meal with champagne/pineapple juice as one of the drink options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsMomsoutVIPDined on 8/15/2014Food is consistently good. Nice size portions and varied menu. Prices are a little steep compared to other places of equal caliber. Sushi is always fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On the declineDiner1111VIPDined on 8/10/2014Amber is not what it used to be. Food is decent. Air conditioning is barely there on a hot night. Service slow and forgetful. Few diners in restaurant. Sad.
- Solid Once AgainDavidIVIPDined on 7/24/2014As usual, Amber did not disappoint. It was an added plus to dine outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Asian fusion and sushiToddDined on 7/8/2014Amber has consistently good food. They have a terrific selection of entrees (mango chicken is great) and there sushi is also very good. The specialty sushi rolls are large and very well presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to Sushi spot on Upper Wast SideAWDogVIPDined on 6/27/2014Amber is our "go to" sushi restaurant. Not the most authentic; but straightforward and good. On the negative side, it is frequently too noisy and the noise is encouraged by the too loud beat of the "background" music. And, the back room is dull.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chicken was overcookedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/27/2014The Chicken was overcooked and a little dry, the sushi was okay. Overall not a stellar place.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/25/2014We had the misfortune of having a 7PM reservation which was filled with families with children so the noise level was high. The food was quite good but the service was lax and no warm towels to refresh before eating.Special Features:
- Favorite Asian fusionJoanVIPDined on 6/18/2014The go-to restaurant for delicious Asian cuisine nicely presented in a lovely space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImafoodieVIPDined on 6/13/2014I introduced another friend to this restaurant tonight. She loved it and will surely return for more.Special Features:
- Solid Once AgainDavidIVIPDined on 6/12/2014As usual, Amber delivered a great dining experience.Special Features:
- We like itDiner1111VIPDined on 5/21/2014Amber has some interesting items (Peking duck bun appetizer) and good sushi. Excellent cocktails. Too many of the special rolls are crunchy or have fried ingredients. Sit in the back room for quiet conversation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 144 reviews are from the Amber Upper East reviews archive.
- Good neighborhood sushiSrg1VIPDined on 5/11/2014Amber is a pretty solid restaurant. We have been there a number of times and we always enjoy ourselves. The waitstaff is good with our kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable food w/ wonderful serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/10/2014I enjoyed most the service at Amber. Our waitress was delightful! The food was really good but nothing I wouldn't expect for the price and the cuisine style. A good place to go if you're in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent asianOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/4/2014Good food high quality very nicee service, a neighborhood gem .. Consistent qualitySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DosappointedImafoodieVIPDined on 4/20/2014I have been to Amber many times and have never had a problem. I ordered something I used to order frequently but have not had in a long time. I specifically asked the waitress about the sauces available (which used to be listed on the menu) and the vegetables I would get in my order. She didn't seem to know much about the specific dish and told me that a sauce I used to order wasn't available (not true) and told me that I would get vegetables which never appeared on my plate. Her attitude, when I mentioned this, was a 'well that's the way it is' attitude. The mushrooms in my order were like rubber and I was unable to chew or digest them. As much as I usually enjoy their food and service, this was a very unpleasant experience.
- Great with kidsSrg1VIPDined on 4/13/2014The waitstaff was great with our kids. Very responsive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great neighborhood sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/2/2014A great neighborhood sushi restaurant with pleasant service and very good food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recently tried their mangoImafoodieVIPDined on 3/22/2014Recently tried their mango vermicelli which is delicious! We shared that as an appetizer and then had their greens salad and sushi. Very good.Special Features:
- Pleasantly SurprisedYummyDined on 3/21/2014Passed Amber for years and never knew what a gem we had in the neighborhood. Went with people from out of town who love shushi. They were impressed by the size of the roll pieces and taste. Even the dipping sauce for the shumai was not the generic soy found in other places - it had taste! Two of us had "cooked" food: ample portions, lots of veggies added and very tasty. Nice wine to top it off. We sat in the back room which was comfortable and calming. The service was attentive and respectful allowing us to "catch up" while eating at a leisurely pace. They were knowledgeable and professional. When we left the restaurant was filled with all age demographics and the bar was hopping. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I took my friend here forImafoodieVIPDined on 3/10/2014I took my friend here for his birthday and, when we ordered desert, the wait staff sang "Happy Birthday" to him. He loved it! The food and service were good, as usual.Special Features:
- I love this restaurant. TheirImafoodieVIPDined on 3/8/2014I love this restaurant. Their food is always fresh, presentation is beautiful and tastes are delicious. Would eat there every night if possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodFoodmavenVIPDined on 2/28/2014Warm atmosphere (back room), good service and consistently good food keeps us coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great bar. Awesome bartender Leiza!HappyVIPDined on 2/27/2014Great bar. Great sashimi. Awesome bartender - Leiza!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itAlexandra749Dined on 2/21/2014Had a great time at Amber with a friend of mine while we were out for a Friday night dinner. I had the Angry Bird roll which was delicious and their cocktails are phenomenal! I highly recommend the Cherry Blossom and Lychee Martini. Our waiter was very attentive and the ambiance is really cool (we sat in the back!) Both of us thoroughly enjoyed our experience and will definitely be back in the future.Special Features:
- Lovely restaurantFoodmavenVIPDined on 2/19/2014Very good food and service in a very good looking restaurant. The back is quiet and gorgeous! The fron is more fa lively scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming asian fusionLarryCaratVIPDined on 2/13/2014A pretty back room is a comfortable place to enjoy assorted Asian/fusion specialties. We wanted Thai and had an assortment of items. We will likely revisit to sample the sushi.Special Features:
- Always a great meal and experienceFloridaVisitorDined on 1/17/2014This is one of my neighborhood favorites. The food is always excellent. I really enjoy the grilled Chilean sea bass but I have always enjoyed everything I have ordered here.Special Features:
- This is one of my favoriteImafoodieVIPDined on 1/17/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants. Tonight I had chicken over broccoli, asparagus and yellow squash with a bowl of sweet chili sauce in which to dip it. That with brown rice and it was delicious. My friend had teriyaki chicken. If you like sushi, their presentations are wonderful and the fish has always been fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spot -LDeanVIPDined on 1/11/2014Great neighborhood spot - food is always consistent and service is fantastic. Eating at the bar is the best - bartenders Alex & Ian are excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Other sushi spots are betterOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/22/2013I thought I remembered loving this spot. They seem to have a smaller list of sushi rolls and definitely charge more for them compared to other neighboring spots. The eggplant app is a not good, the duck buns were good - but not worth the visit.
- Even in the snow, they hadImafoodieVIPDined on 12/14/2013Even in the snow, they had a decent crowd coming in to dine today. Their food is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great lunch deal, but...bonnieDined on 12/11/2013each glass of wine was 12, where most places it is 6 or max 7 (a cheap plum wine..nothing fancy). plus the green tea, which was automatically brought to us, was 4. so what would have been a great lunch deal (the food on the lunch special is the best sushi deal in the area) came to an unexpectedly pricy lunch. but, the food was great, we will just know for next timeSpecial Features:
- I had their field salad andImafoodieVIPDined on 12/1/2013I had their field salad and their crispy chicken which was very good and moist. My friend had their crispy duck which he enjoyed and the veggie dumplings. In general, I've had good dining experiences here and like to dine here on a regular basis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodJoanVIPDined on 11/22/2013Tasty Asian fusion cuisine beautifully presented in a lovely room make Amber a neighborhood favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We both had sushi dishes andImafoodieVIPDined on 11/8/2013We both had sushi dishes and I also had their field salad. Our neighbors, with whom we struck up a conversation, had 2 chicken dishes that really looked good! Maybe next time, I'll try something new.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderfulJoanVIPDined on 11/5/2013Amber never fails to please--pleasant back room, lovely service, delicious food, reasonable pricing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Their sushi dishes are excellentImafoodieVIPDined on 10/12/2013Their sushi dishes are excellent and great care is taken in their presentation.Special Features:
- Never fails to satisfy the palateevieVIPDined on 9/24/2013The sushi chef is one of the best in town and definitely in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ecellentJoanVIPDined on 9/20/2013Amber always satisfies with attractive room, imaginative menu, and professional wait staff. The crispy flounder is a special favorite as is the dessert chocolate covered ice cream with cherry center. Well priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.