1400 Valley St.
Dayton, OH 45404Neighborhood:
Eastern EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theamberrose.com/
- Phone: (937) 228-2511
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm;
Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm,
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: German, American, Eastern European
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Joe Castellano 937-228-2511
A word from Amber Rose
The Amber Rose is an Eastern European restaurant specializing in homemade German, Polish, Hungarian, Russian and Italian cuisines. The bar is made of Turkish marble. The beer and wine lists consist of exemplary, hard-to-find European beverages. The dining room seats 88 guests, while the spacious banquet room “upstairs” can privately accommodate 110. The building is located in the heart of Old North Dayton, where Europeans migrated during and after World War I.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Amber Rose - Best Restaurants in Dayton ›
Amber Rose reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (29)good for groups (18)special occasion (14)fit for foodies (12)kid-friendly (8)romantic (5)great for lunch (4)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Perfect German ExperienceGermanGuruDined on 11/14/2014We have been looking for a local place to go to when we want to have a nice dining experience and this is it! With strong German traditions in our households, German food was a frequent flavor on our tables. I had yet to find any place that compared to the home cooking handed down by my great grandmother. The Amber Rose met and exceeded those expectations. The ambiance was very charming and Old World. From the China to the beer, to the Bier Cheese, and German Chocolate cake that melts in your mouth, this little Gem will have you coming back very, very soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice MusicOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Restaurant environment had a lot of Character. Ambiance was nice. Did not care for the food. I had pork schnitzel. Food was overcooked, very heavy and tough with not very much flavor. Seemed like the oil needed to be changed in the fryer. I did not care for the Sauerkraut either. Jazz Music was very nice.
- In a neighborhoodGretchDined on 10/28/2014Excellent - not too far from WPAFB. Will come back again when we're in the area.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic and Relaxing EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014Amber Rose is a one-of-a-kind restraunt in the Dayton area. We love that it is located in one of the older neighborhoods. It is very unique and has a relaxing and could be romantic atmosphere . I feel the food offered on the menue is another unique thing for this restraunt . We have always enjoyed coming there, and do so at least twice a year, and on some special occasions. The people who work at this restraunt have always been very friendly and courteous . I would and have recommended your restraunt to many people. Oh and I might add that your offer during the month of October for the first beer being 10 cents is an added plus. Thank you for your years of service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very noisy,poor serving the BeersMityMikeDined on 10/18/2014First visit,last visit. Very noisy,party on second floor. Beers very foamy,mixed drinks : out of Crown Royal, no Southern Comfort! Come on folks!! Martini ordered w/ Olives came without. Import Beers very pricey. Greek Salad was Great! Cold Air from doorway makes it uncomfortable to to set near. Outstanding service from the staff !Special Features:
- JandLDined on 10/18/2014Quick and attentive service. Good food and Oktoberfest beer,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointing....KarenVIPDined on 10/10/2014We went to Amber Rose because it was 10 cent beer month. The choices were good but not extensive. Hey, for a dime, that's ok! The food was a little disappointing. The peirogis were dry and bland. The cabbage rolls were more rice than meat. The potato soup tasted like one of those box scalloped potato mixes thinned out with milk. Overall, the food was just not that exciting.....honestly the food at Octoberfest at the Art Institute was better.
- Excellent Service, Average FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014Pros: Clean restaurant, family friendly atmosphere, excellent service, excellent spaetzle, quick service, professional, warm food Cons: We had 6 different meals and only one person was satisfied with the cabbage rolls. It seems the kitchen doesn't know about tasting their food before delivering to the customer. The sauerkraut was inedible because it was too sour/salty, the perogies are deep fried (a first), and the two men who selected the sauerbraten said it was too sour. Summary: I've been going here since I was little and the quality cuisine of the cuisine has gone downhill. It's was definately not worth the $120 bill.Special Features:
- Great DinnerLydKidDined on 9/19/2014This was a family dinner to celebrate my parents anniversary. They had something different to meet everyone's individual taste, the service was great, and the food was exceptional for the price! This was a first time experience for me, but it won't be the last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CocoDined on 9/16/2014We enjoy the Amber Rose because the menu is full of the ethnic dishes that we grew up on. Our family heritage is German and Czech...need I say more!!!!!!! We celebrated Mom and Dad's 50th wedding anniversary at Amber Rose a few years back and it was a wonderful gift to give to them. They had recently moved to Dayton and it was a fantastic taste of home for them. We love the Amber Rose!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Having lived in Germany for awhile, this is the only place in the area that you can find the most authentic German food.Special Features:
- Dayton GemPaulVIPDined on 8/2/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Amber Rose. The food was great, the service great and we loved the feel of the restaurant. Our son is a student at UD and we were looking for something other than the "chain restaurant" experience. Amber Rose is a neighborhood gem!Special Features:
- Very PleasedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014The food was delicious - even my picky teens cleared their plates! Great portions, delicious stuffed mushrooms, the home-made blue cheese dressing is to die for and the Bier cheese app was excellent.. Entrees far exceeded our expectations - very pleased! And our waitress was most amiable - she definitely added so much to our experience. Definitely check this place out.........Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service, average foodBigDaddyLionhawkDined on 7/31/2014Our waitress, Aimee, was very cordial and friendly. The picture of Hofbrau we got had 4+ inches of head! but tasted good none the less. Both of us had the Jaegerschnitzel, which tasted good, but wasn't an outstanding rendition. The sauce was savory & the accompanying spaetzle was good. I don't know if we'd visit again since there are other choices. It was restaurant week, so it was full and bustling with people.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverallOverallDined on 7/29/2014Noise level was extreme and discomforting. Bar selection is exceptional and enjoy European beer choices!!! Will come again and have recommended to friends and co-workers.Special Features:
- Love the RoseHendoDined on 7/29/2014Amber Rose is a great place! Delicious food! You can't go wrong with the Hunter Schnitzel!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 198 reviews are from the Amber Rose reviews archive.
- NostalgicGregorDined on 7/9/2014Nostalgic is the word for someone with my background. My background is Polish on my dad's side and I grew up around Germans so this food reminds me of home. Good enough that anyone would enjoy it though.
- DisappointingGrea8foodDined on 7/5/2014The kitchen could not cope with an event upstairs as well as diners downstairs. There were 2 of us for dinner. Food took a long time to arrive and one entre was cold. The other entre was just warm. It's a beautiful building but I was really looking for some great ethnic cooking.
- something uniqueenjoyamealDined on 6/28/2014If you're looking for something a little out of the ordinary, Amber Rose is a great option. We tried 4 different meals, and they were all very good. We arrived for an early dinner, at 5:15. We were glad that we did, because the place filled up quickly. Also, the noise level rose accordingly. When the small band with the singer started to perform, it became quite difficult to talk and visit. While the music was pleasant, it would've been nicer if it was dialed back a bit.Special Features:
- touch of eastern europeDavidDined on 6/26/2014Our dinner at Amber Rose was pleasant. It's a family run neighborhood restaurant serving Eastern European fare which makes it unique. The menu is decidedly focused on hearty German, Polish and Hungarian dishes with some touches of Russian and Baltic cuisine. My wife and I had the Hunter schnitzel (veal) and Jager schnitzel (pork). Both were generous portions with appropriate sides. The prices are very fair. There is a nice selection of draft beers and a decent list of bottle selections and some reasonably priced wines. The decor is wood paneling with a nice bar and booths or tables. It is family friendly and the service when we were there (early on a Wednesday evening) was friendly and efficient. It's well worth a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfort FoodCWoodVIPDined on 6/21/2014Went to the Amber Rose for a good meal of ethnic food and got it. Service was good and food delivered what we were looking for. Don't come here if kids enjoying themselves bothers you, but do come if you like an inclusive atmosphere.Special Features:
- Fantastic German foodFoodieVIPDined on 5/31/2014Fantastic restaurant and wonderful German, Hungarian and Slovak food, a must eat in daytonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meal before the philharmonicBiochem9VIPDined on 5/17/2014Food was tasty. Service was good, but could have been better. Waitress clearly had too many tables & therefore wasn't as attentive as would be expected. Still was a good experience. Food portions were very large. Bier cheese was a large portion & flavorful. Salad was mostly typical salad mix available at any store & a bit past it's freshest date. Schnitzel was curable w a fork & tasty. We will go again. Recommended.Special Features:
- Not great for VegetariansOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/16/2014My husband eats meat and he enjoyed his meal. If you are a meat eater, there is a lot to choose from. If you are not a meat eater, like me, there is one entree and two appetizers to choose from. I got the fried fish special. It was bland and still had the skin on it which I don't care for. I have friends who really like it and I have heard many great things about it. The service was great and our waitress was very friendly in helping me find something to order.Special Features:
- Excellent Eastern European foodRobertDined on 5/16/2014Excellent Eastern European food and attentive service. Large portionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food!JamieDickDined on 5/15/2014My boyfriend was intrigued by the European menu so we tried Amber Rose. The food didn't disappoint! We had the sauerkraut balls for an appetizer. I tried the Lithuanian sampler since I hadn't tried any of the food before. My bf had the Russian Stroganoff and he loved it! It is definitely worth the time to visit for interesting food.Special Features:
- Last minute findHappynewyearsguestsDined on 5/8/2014Was in town for work and used open table to find something that was not a typical box restaurant. This was it, fantastic food good prices. Walked away full and happy.Special Features:
- unexpected treatfoodreviewVIPDined on 5/6/2014very nice lunch place in urban area, easy access off expressway. No power when I visited but still able to serve good food .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RicknLeslieDined on 5/2/2014The ethnic (Eastern European) cuisine is wonderful and done authentically. The atmosphere is also authentic and fun. The service is friendly and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerHungryDined on 5/2/2014I had the prime rib which was the special of the night. It was overcooked and tough to cut. Wife had Jager Schnitzel which she said was "Just Ok". First time there and probably last also. Service was great!
- Dayton TreasurebcreekcoupleDined on 4/25/2014The Amber Rose has it all: delicious food, outstanding service, and charming setting--all at a reasonable price. It is one of our favorite restaurants!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I will be back for these reasons:MattDined on 4/3/20141. Beautiful building 2. Supports local brewery 3. Expert staff welcoming, friendly and flexible 4. Amazing food, complete palate experience 5. Reasonably priced I have wanted to check out the Amber Rose for years, wish I had done so sooner! Perfect spot to follow up with a Dragons Game or Schuster Center Concert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for get togetherBaxterDined on 4/2/2014We chose Amber Rose because two of the six in our party are cabbage roll lovers. They were not disappointed. The pot roast was quite good too. And the bread pudding with almonds and cherries was to die for! Yum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Working DinnerMadasingDined on 3/28/2014My co-workers and I decided to go to Amber Rose, we've all been there before. It's in a great building, lots of character. The service was fantastic and the food was very good. One had the pot roast and two had the cabbage rolls. Very good comfort food, we'd order those dishes again. If you enjoy Eastern European food, you have to try the Amber Rose!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfort FoodLvgoodfoodDined on 3/18/2014A fun early dinner with my granddaughter. Because we were early, it was quiet. The waitress was excellent-we never had to ask for refills. Potato pancake appetizer was even better than the normal American potato skins, but with the same toppings. Wonderful soft, fresh rye bread was served with the salad. We both had the Lithuanian cabbage rolls, opting for one cabbage roll apiece. So glad there was an option to get just one, as the serving was very generous - along with lots of mashed potatoes and gravy. The green beans were average, however, dark and a bit hard to chew. We are anxious to return to try another menu item.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experienceReadyforMoreDined on 3/15/2014The staff; fantastic, the drink list; great. My particular dish wasn't exciting, but not bad enough to warrant a negative comment. I will return soon to try something different.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceYamahamvDined on 2/28/2014Food is always good, but our waitress was great this time. We took our kids, which we had never done before. They were very accommodating and have great menu options for kids. A great option for a night out if you don't have a sitter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!StMartinophileDined on 2/15/2014Amber Rose was a wonderful experience - the service was impeccable, the atmosphere old world yet very lively, and the food authentic eastern european. Having lived in Poland for a year, we're pretty discerning. Recommend highly the pierogies with onion, anything with their gravy, and the German Chocolate Cake (the best I've ever had). Cannot wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good value but could improveDaveDined on 2/14/2014We visited the Amber Rose on V-Day for a romantic dinner. It was okay and the limited menu was acceptable but not spectacular. Our meal selections was basic, tasty and did reflect good German tastes. We were looking forward to an authentic selection of warm breads and pretzels but were disappointed by the few slices of room temperature bread that appeared to have come from the grocery store, not even a bakery. They are charging a "premium" prices but are not there yet, need to take the sides and the bread selection up a notch in order to make it worth the +$20 per person that they are charging. Our server did a great job and was very attentive. We are planning to try again with friends in the near future, hopefully they can raise the bar.Special Features:
- Outstanding Dinner Location!BuckeyeGalDined on 1/31/2014We had a group of four; two had never been to the Amber Rose. Our server was more than helpful and very prompt. Drinks and appetizers were ordered and lots of time given to us to enjoy and gab. Homemade salad dressings were outstanding! We all loved the breads and beer cheese spread…by the time our entrees got there we were almost full! Everyone shared theirs so we got the full experience and stopped early so we could have coffee and dessert. (Bread pudding was to die for!) THANK YOU! We'll be back...soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.