Amber India - Santana Row
377 Santana Row
San Jose, CA 95128Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Amber India - Santana Row
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.amber-india.com/
- Phone: 4082485400
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Sandeep Basrur
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact Reshmi Nair or Anupam for more details
- Private Party Contact: Reshmi Nair 4082485400
- Special Events: Join us this New Year's Eve for a journey through Imperial Kitchens of The Royal Mughals featuring an extravagant buffet and live cooking stations. Priced at $44.95 per person.
A word from Amber India - Santana Row
Located in Santana Row, San Jose, Amber India has come to represent an inviting atmosphere of modern elegance, comfort and sophistication. An inspired menu boasts delectable Indian Cuisine. Traditional and contemporary dishes made with the finest and freshest ingredients. Award-winning chef, Sandeep Basrur strives to create food options that are authentically Indian with seasonal Californian influence. Exquisitely presented menu options, delicious dessert temptations and friendly, enthusiastic service ensure a memorable dining experience. An eclectic display of artwork, lighting and colors set stage for an unforgettable evening while you tantalize your senses with an exceptional selection of fine wines and cocktails paired with delicious light fare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Amber India - Santana Row reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (25)fit for foodies (22)special occasion (14)great for lunch (14)neighborhood gem (10)kid-friendly (9)romantic (9)hot spot (8)great for outdoor dining (6)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (3)late-night find (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Fabulous food quality on buffetDaveRDined on 8/21/2014Great food quality (vegetarian and not) and beautiful restaraint. Great place for quick (or relaxed) lunch with customers and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerdinerproDined on 8/18/2014Classy restaurant with first class service. The Butter Chicken and Lal Mirch Sea Bass are a must when you dine there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fancy dishes, complex flavorsEaterDined on 8/10/2014Very fancy dishes, complex flavorings, gourmet Indian food in Santana Row
- Great food, but very COLD insideOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Nice restaurant with modern decor, food was very good. We did not like one thing though. It was very cold inside, the AC was blowing right at us, we asked 4x to have it turned down/off, but they never did. We were very cold the whole time which did not make the experience very pleasant. For this reason I will not be coming back. We like to be comfortable when we dine and we like to be accommodated, which we were not.Special Features:
- Inventive food, screaming babiesMistyVIPDined on 7/19/2014Amber has very inventive and unique food. I am not an expert on Indian food, but considering that most of the crowd were Indian people, this must be the place to go for high quality Indian cuisine. On this visit we tried the lobster and butter chicken. The lobster was chewy and the butter chicken had a stronger tomato flavor than we are used to, so it wasn't something we enjoyed, especially at the high prices. The restaurant is beautiful, but almost every table had small children who did not know how to behave in a public setting. We were surrounded by screaming babies and toddlers. While badly behaved children is not the restaurant's fault, it really ruined the experience. It's unlikely we'll return here anytime soon.Special Features:
- not as good as used to beLanaDined on 7/18/2014We used to come to Amber all the time. Something changed recently and the food is not as used to be. Everything that we orders didn't taste great. And the prices went up . So I guess will not come back.
- Very disappointing - not SFOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/13/2014Tried Amber after having really enjoyed the SF restaurant. Same in name only. Amber SF fun, interesting, cool, good food, attentive staff... Amber Santana Row none of that. Food was cold/poorly crafted; menu drab. The service was terrible, the waiter didn't take any cues during the meal. How many times am I supposed to lift my cutlery to reuse them? "We are the only restaurant to have Kingfisher on draft in bay area"... "cool, we'll take a pitcher". But then, the other draft beers not available by the pitcher for some unknown reason. Not recommended at all.
- Excellent Indian FoodHerhsheygirl10Dined on 7/11/2014We ate here for dinner on a Friday night. The place was full of people, but that didn't seem to slow down the service. Our food was fantastic, fresh and hot. And we hand outstanding service. I Highly recommend Amber India.Special Features:
- Dios was deliciousEspanolaVIPDined on 7/4/2014The lamb chops were very tasty, plenty of high quality food for your money. the waiter was very nice and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food & good service not GREATIMREADYTOEAT123VIPDined on 7/1/2014Food is good, but the Amber India in Mountain View is much better service and food wise. So if you're looking for great food I'd recommend the Amber India in Mountain View.Special Features:
- Delicious food!! Great place.MissMiaVIPDined on 6/24/2014The food was delicious!! The ambience was very nice; high ceilings and a nice bar and outside eating area. It's not too cozy and not too spread out... very comfortable and casual. The staff was very friendly and polite. It was nice!! Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Not as good as beforeMarybelleanneVIPDined on 6/24/2014Maybe it was because we came a bit late for lunch (1pm), but the food wasn't as good as the previous time we ate at Amber. Also, the person making papadum was a little strange. I asked him for one of the papadum he was cooking, and instead he gave me one that was already cooked -- to my surprise, the one he gave me had absolutely no filling in it.Special Features:
- reservatios and service poorMarkDined on 6/22/2014We had a reservation for 1:30pm, however, we had to wait for 15 minutes until we finally got a table. To compensate us for the wait, the reception lady promised us that 'they' would take care of us when I suggested to her that they should for instance, not charge us for our kids' buffet lunches. The throughout, the service was very slow and they seemed generally understaffed, buffet plates running out etc. When it came to pay, the lady outright denied what she had previously said, obviously no one likes to be lied to so they tried to save face by labeling it into a 'miscommunication' and at least followed through with not charging us for the kids' buffet however. While fine in the end, this should have been handled more graciously.Special Features:
- Father's Day Chaotic BrunchChaoticDined on 6/15/2014Arrived at 11:55am, had reservation for 12 noon. Receptionists were totally lost, because the place was not ready, but had the doored open. Went in to find out they were not open yet. Sat outside for 10 mins, watching people lined up, with or without reservations.The scene was pretty chaotic. Buffet was still not ready. Went in, and waited for 10 mins, before someone called for people with reservations. We raised our hands, and were seated at a booth, in front of the buffet. The booth seats were all rusty, torn and springs coming out. We just sat down unwillingly. Noticed someone had left their purse on the seat. Probably they refused the booth with torn seats. The buffet was 75% ready, and people started helping themselves on both sides.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/13/2014Obdell is a wonderful top notch waiter. A great dining experience for Indian food! I have eaten here many times and have not had a bad meal.Special Features:
- Great first experienceJmayers56Dined on 5/31/2014This was my first time trying Indian food and I loved it. We tried a few different things since it was our first time. We got samosas for the appetizer which I highly recommend. For dinner I had the tandoori salmon with basmati rice and cilantro pesto naan everything was delicious. On reviews we heard portions were small and for us that was not the case we both had food to bring home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for Indian food loversfherrerowDined on 5/27/2014Amber India keeps demonstrating me that food quality and service are their top priorities. My personal recommendations are the Frontier Kebab, the Lobster Moilee and the Lahsooni Saag Paneer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely foodvrallsDined on 5/17/2014The food here is wonderful, spicly but not overwelming. The portion are on the small side, but there is plenty to choose from and it is all tastey. I like the tandoori sampler, very nice kebabs. The cocktails are very well done, and they have a nice wine list to boot. The service is charming, effcient and prompt. I really loved it here and will be back. It is pricey, but perfect for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner on a weeknightvpatDined on 5/14/2014good place for dinner.. I have been here before and definitely not the same experience. The tandoori food was cold (in fact all the food was cold) ..the lamb (Rogan Josh) needed salt and was very tough.. this is the first bad experience i have hadSpecial Features:
- Love this place!NaniDined on 5/11/2014I love Indian food and spices, but this place is amazing for that those two and staff. The waiters check on you and are so nice. The ambiance is great. The only problem is if you don't have reservations, it's a 30-45 minute wait. But, I'd rather wait an hour for this place then something like Cheesecake Factory :) I can't get enough of their butter chicken over rice and their cauliflower that has cream over it. I'd recommend this place to anyone! I take my parents for occasions on on weekends when we have family day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Indian FoodDaveSVIPDined on 5/5/2014Not much more to say. Food is very tasty, pretty light.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 526 reviews are from the Amber India - Santana Row reviews archive.
- Has been a family favoriteMercerIIIDined on 4/30/2014I have 5 kids that live all over the US. When they are in town Amber is always the request. We have been dining here for years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good buffet, food not replenishedCarolCVIPDined on 4/29/2014I've eaten at Amber India a few times but this past week our reservation was later than usual: 12:30. When we got to the buffet, the pans were seriously depleted and no Chicken Tikka at all. After we finished our first plate we went back up to ladle out a helping from what we thought would be a replenished chicken tikka bowl--no. Still empty. I've eaten at other good Indian restaurants who take care to replenish the buffet and ensure the food is fresh--even at 1230pm. We were surprised and disappointed. I don't think it's too much to ask to refill a popular dish when it's empty. Also, compared with other buffets, each dish tasted quite similar. It just wasn't very good. Suspect it will be my last time at Amber India.Special Features:
- Unfortunately cannot recommenddawizardDined on 4/25/2014I usually recommend this place to friends and within my professional network. Unfortunately I cannot do that since my last visit. I wrote a longer review at Yelp but the highlights are: 1. Service was not great, new server and didn't seem to be getting any help from others when he was struggling. 2. Food was not at all upto mark - Had to return a dish and the remaining was really bland & mediocre. I have never done this before. Besides the bland food, I was charged for the returned dish as well as a dish I never ordered but was provided/never consumed. I didn't want to create a fuss while I was there but the experience was bitter and I hesitate to recommend this place to anyone else. Perhaps the city branch is still doing okay.
- EXPENSIVE and BADtroydDined on 4/25/2014Cannot believe how expensive this place was, OMG. $85 for 2 of us to have 2 little tiny dishes of bad Indian food. Avoid this place if you are smart. Was a horrible experience.
- Everything they offer on theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/13/2014Everything they offer on the menu is spicy. Unfortunately, I will not recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Not HappyNothappyDined on 4/3/2014Amber is on its way down. Among our friends in parties, more people are saying that they no longer like Amber at Santana Row. It is no longer considered good any more. Why you ask? 1) Food quality and menu are no longer good, 2) Buffet - no lamb, no beef prep, only two chickens and fish - my British guests were disappointed, 3) Desert table small and poor with unimaginative quick and cheap items 4) Service really bad - never got the drink I ordered, 5) Too crowded around buffet table seating, 6) Empty food containers not refilled quickly, I had to ask to fill them,Special Features:
- Dinner ExperienceneenaDined on 3/29/2014We started with the Tandoori sample platter and expected lot food for $19.99; it was disappointing to get two small pieces of chicken, two sheek kabab & two shrimp on a plate not a sizzling platter! The main entrees we ordered were butter chicken and lamb curry. Both were luke warm and not very spicy. The Onion Naan was bland!, however we really enjoyed the plain naan and my husband enjoyed theTaj Mahal beer. Over all food portions were not the worth price$$.
- Amber India in Santana RowCurryHoundDined on 3/24/2014Amber India in Santana Row is a nice mix of traditional Indian dishes and fusion dishes. It's nice to have a choice. The food is very tasty with the right amount of spicing and is well presented. The staff is always willing to make adjustments and accommodate the special needs of patrons. They are well trained, very courteous, and knowledgeable about the cuisine served. The wine list is OK with wines that go well with Indian food. It is a little pricey but is a nice place for a special meal for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4 Star flavor...bit over done.cjbutcherDined on 3/21/2014All our food was very good from a flavor perspective. Very good even. I have to take stars off because it all seems over cooked to me. To the point of being dry and tough. I had lamb ka-bobs, wow what great taste and flavor...dry meat. What a waste. My wife had a fish, specific name I don't remember, that was again very flavorful and yet again, over cooked. Not sure what was going on, but you'd think for a Friday night, they'd have enough turn-over to keep the food moving and cooked correctly. Almost seemed as if they had it all pre-cooked and just keeping it warm until ordered and served.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placeplm22Dined on 3/12/2014great food / great service / great ambiance / great placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok for vegetariansVegetarianFoodieDined on 3/9/2014My husband and I are vegetarian foodies. We decided to sit outside for dinner while other diners sat inside. We ordered an appetizer, two dishes, rice, naan. We had to ask twice for our appetizer and when it was brought out it was the wrong appetizer. They eventually brought out the correct one and comp'd us for the appetizer. The dishes were good but not for the price. We will most likely not be going back there.
- Upscale Indian FoodCoffeeGuyDined on 3/8/2014Excellent dinner with my reservation being recognized and an excellent table available on arrival. Wait staff were just right and had food and service available without interrupting conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!Luv2dineDined on 2/23/2014We really enjoyed Amber India for our first wedding anniversary - great food, ambiance and dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food...VinayDined on 2/19/2014Amber in Santana Row is one our three favorite Indian restaurants in the bay area besides Mynt (Campbell) and Sakoon (Mountain View). Every dish has its unique taste spiced to your requested liking. I have taken my office VPs to this restaurant and they loved the food here. They have a good bar too adding to the ambiance of the place. We look forward to continue visiting Amber on special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love Amber India. The foodfood4funVIPDined on 2/19/2014We love Amber India. The food is always delicious (although we've never tried the buffet at lunch) and the staff friendly, courteous, and efficient.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was delicious!MPikDined on 2/16/2014Great food, great bar and a great atmosphere... We loved this place!Special Features:
- Great place kinda priceyKidpunchDined on 2/14/2014They were quite busy when we went. The food was amazing. The portion to price ratio - not so muchSpecial Features:
- This was for valentine's dayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014This was for valentine's day special dinner. Even though this was a pre-fixe dinner menu, it took the restaurant an hour after sitting u down at the table to bring our first course - which was a soup. Food was good/excellent but from a service aspect, it was disappointing. They also allowed guests with babies/toddlers which resulted in some very noisy situations that could have been avoided if they set the policy appropriately, especially when they are charging high price for this special dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic for Valentine's DaySportgirlieVIPDined on 2/14/2014I had heard good things about this place. But I didn't imagine it would be that good. It was a prix fixe menu for $55 and we included the wine pairing for both of us. Well worth it in every respect - from the soup to the medjool date dessert. The service was spot on. Well trained and attentive staff. Jeffy was our server. We appreciated his attentiveness. The bussers were non-descript and we thanked them for being so, oddly. We will definitely return. The owners certainly showed their expectations were high from the food to the service. Both entrees were incredible; the Paneer in an incredible korma type sauce and the asparagus broccollini. Both great veg choices and I hope they are both on the regular menu for the next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.