25 Yerba Buena Lane
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.amber-india.com/SanFrancisco/
- Phone: (415) 777-0500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm -10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm -10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Kirti Pant
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Let Amber organize and cater your next affair. We cater for all events from intimate meals to corporate parties. Customized menus and personalized packages are available. We will work with you to create the ideal menu for your affair. Your event may also be enhanced with specialty items and an array of colorful lines options.
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate parties up to 30 people.
- Private Party Contact: Janvi Thakkar 4157770500
A word from Amber India
Amber India Restaurant embodies the spirit and essence of fine Indian cuisine. Located in the heart of downtown San Francisco, Amber India Restaurant takes Indian cuisine to a new culinary level, while still holding true to its traditional nuances. Much like the ambiance within the restaurant, Amber India’s cuisine is a mix of modern style with traditional roots. The delectable cuisine, the well paired wines, and the exotic cocktails are sure to indulge anyone’s senses. The split-level three-story restaurant can easily accommodate 140 people, with a private dining room in the back for up to 25 people. With its vaulted ceilings, stylish décor, and a constant LED light show behind the bar, Amber India Restaurant is truly a feast for both the mouth as well as the eyes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Amber India - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Union Square ›
Amber India reviews from OpenTable diners
194 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (101)good for groups (80)special occasion (53)great for lunch (49)neighborhood gem (43)hot spot (36)romantic (34)great for brunch (17)vibrant bar scene (13)kid-friendly (11)late-night find (10)notable wine list (5)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great food, nice service, good priceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/21/2014I gave this 3 stars only for service, but that's because our 7:30 reservation for 4 wasn't accomodated until 8:10. Granted 2 of our party were late and didn't show till 7:45 anyway, but after we all arrived, we were told 2 minutes, 2 minutes, 2 minutes, 2 minutes. Anyway, the restaurant made it up to us with a wonderful dessert. And once seated, the service was A+. Now the food. I had the monterey shrimp in a wonderful sauce; my wife had lamb, the other couple had paneer and butter chicken. Outstanding. The food was remarkable. Brilliant food. It was going to be tough to match a wine, but we were in the mood for it, and the waiter recommended an oregon pinot noir (walter scott 2012). Quite good on its own, and a nice match with the food. For dessert, a nicely spiced cumin chocolate molten cake. Beautifully done. This was our first time here, as I rarely venture into the city, but we'll definitely head back. Great stuff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amber in as fransiscodeepakDined on 11/17/2014the restaurant is in very good happening location with a very good ambience lot of seating capacity which I was surprised to see an Indian restaurant running to full capacity on Monday night. The ambience was good & the food was of very good quality & very tasty lot of variety available in the food I liked the murgkalimirch which I ordered & I liked the dessert too I had rasmalai & it was really good . The service was very quick &other staff was really good & very professional which shows as more than 80 percent non Indians was in the restaurant which speaks for itself. I will definitely recommend this restaurant to my Indian friends in India & USA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theatreReliableVIPDined on 11/14/2014I always struggle to find good restaurants around Union Square to eat at before the theatre. Most are too touristy, too expensive, too mediocre, too slow, or some combination of all. We tried Amber India and it worked well. The food was good and the service was incredibly fast - indeed, too fast if we were just out for dinner (the food all arrived less than 10 minutes after we ordered).I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/10/2014This is my first review on Open Table. Although I've had plenty of good dining experiences, this place is the first one where I felt I owed it a review. This place is amazing. I literally went 3 times in one week. That's how good the food was. My last experience there included meeting someone that said every time they're in town they go at multiple times as well. Delicious flavors. Excellent food. Great service. Even those who aren't fans of Indian food should go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!MacchickDined on 11/9/2014This truly was a find! My husband and I love Indian food and nothing at this restaurant let us down. You have to have the cauliflower appie, delicious!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/8/2014The food was good. However, the service from the hostess to the waiter to the manger was horrible. The table next to us complained about the service as well. Our waiter came to our table twice, once to take the order and once to bring the food. Never saw him again. We had to wave down another waiter to get our bill which was overcharged. The other waiter didn't know now to void out the overcharge (or was too lazy to do it) and told us to just take it out of the tip. Horrible horrible service and ethics.
- very authentic.. sauces are amazingmikeocarrollDined on 11/7/2014amber is an amazing indian restaurant and i encourage a reservation in advance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- high class restaurantSKumarDined on 11/7/2014Amber India is a classy restaurant. They used to have lots of variety of food which are on a high end and not being offered by other Indian restaurants. That's the way Amber used to have its own identity. But off late I don't see that many variety and they seem to have reduced their menu. Hope they bring their old menu back for the customers. But still the experience is worth the priceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian foodMikeHDined on 11/6/2014This is one of the best Indian restaurants n the country.The lamb curries and eggplant curry are ono pareil.Special Features:
- Delicious!SaraHDined on 11/2/2014Took my mom here for a birthday celebration. Had the spicy lamb loin, saag paneer, rice, naan and raita. Everything was delicious. Will come again!Special Features:
- Good Indian FoodNicoyaDined on 11/1/2014My wife ordered the lobster which was plentiful. The sauces were very tasty. I ordered the lamb loin. The meat was tender and sauce was fantastic. Very good food and would recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Indian food in Downtown SFbasicfoodieDined on 10/31/2014Here is what my party of four ordered and my personal ratings for them. Bread basket -- good but I expected more variety and more pieces Brown rice -- tasted more like white rice, which is good Butter chicken -- the sauce was delicious Spinach w/ cheese -- good but a little too spicy for me Eggplant dish -- very yummy Spicy chocolate molten cake -- just like a chocolate molten cake with a little kick to it. Comes with a scoop of vanilla ice cream Overall it was a good meal as we finished just about everything. The atmosphere is upscale but not fancy. Two of us were in Halloween costumes but did not feel ridiculous. I would definitely eat here again if I get the chance.Special Features:
- Best of India San Fran has to offersmartypantsDined on 10/29/2014Matches any Michellian Indian restaurant has to offer in terms of menu, creativity, indgreadeants and expernience. I have eaten everywhere and I am an Indian and this is as close to morden Indian cooking with my mothers Indian food and flavour I found. Impressive, try the vindaloo with the yellow daal (yellow daal is not in the menu, but ask and you will be rewarded), you won't regreret it.Special Features:
- Our favorite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014Amber in SF is always excellent. The food is close to perfection, great service, nice atmosphere. By far, the best Indian restaurant in the entire Bay Area.Special Features:
- always a winnerThelawVIPDined on 10/22/2014Best Indian food in the city! Perfect location for meeting up after work.Special Features:
- no complaints here!Luv2dine80Dined on 10/21/2014Our server was excellent and provided great recommendations. We shared the cauliflower for an appy with butter chicken, saag paneer and garlic naan. Everything was great. For dessert we shared the chai creme brulee which was a nice twist on the original. Will definitely return on a future visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale Indian RestaurantBradCDined on 10/21/2014Most of the dishes are very good to excellent. The yellow dal and the vegetable dishes were delicious and properly spiced. The "signature" butter chicken was a little sweet and not spicy enough. The Nan and Basmati rice were good. The specialty soup of the day was outstanding. The prices are at least twice as much as other good Indian food restaurants, but then again they lack the ambiance and service of Amber India.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavourful foodPatrbooOttDined on 10/18/2014Our meal was highly enjoyable. We had the Vindaloo lamb shank, which should not be missed if you like some heat. A large portion but most importantly, it was so flavourful. We also had the tamarind eggplant dish and the garlic naan, both of which were also great. Wish we could have been with more people so that we could have tried more dishes. The ambiance was modern but warm. Service was decent. Would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Indian foodTKNYDined on 10/18/2014Went to Amber for an Indian food fix, very happy with service and especially with the food. This is a nice restaurant in the evening, not fine dining but definitely a bit upscale. The dishes we had were excellent. The pekora appetizer was one of the best i have ever had. I look forward to my next visit.Special Features:
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014If you like Indian food you must try Amber. Delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful foodPandJfoodiesVIPDined on 10/18/2014This is one of the best, if not the best, Indian restaurants in the Bay Area. The food is authentic, always fresh (even when served buffet style at lunch). And the location is terrific for business of social meetings.Special Features:
- Good food but rushed with foodWinthroptravelerDined on 10/17/2014Nice restaurant, decor is stylish and food of a high standard. Like many restaurants in the US there is no time between courses, however this was very fast. Our apps were out in less than 5 min of ordering (quicker than the drinks order)and entree before we were even finished the apps. It was not very busy with no wait, so no reason for it. Most people on a Friday night are out for dinner to relax, not to be rushed like a chain restaurant. I enjoyed it however give people 5-10 min between courses to we can enjoy your food and ambiance.Special Features:
- Awesome experience!!ExtraordinaryDined on 10/15/2014Took my customer and team out for dinner after Dreamforce conference in SF. Food was amazing! But the best part was the complimentary desserts that the restaurant manager brought just when we were about to leave....the desserts were absolutely "MIND BLOWING"... I am a a big foodie..and I have to say I have never had better "Gulab Jamuns" outside of India PERIOD!!! Congratulations to the chef, and special thanks to restaurant manager (Karam) for making it extra special for us!! All in all - great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian buffet.Live2EatDined on 10/15/2014Best Indian buffet in the city. Very good and very good selection of items. Changed often. Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy "fine" diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014I went to Amber after a friend recommended the food to me. The food was really good, however, from what i had heard, I expected a fine dining experience which I did not get. The tables are all too close to each other and the place is really noisy. Not what I was hoping for an anniversary dinner. I like the Amber in San Jose much better in every aspect - food, ambience and noise level.Special Features:
- Great BrunchBethDined on 10/12/2014We loved everything they served. I tried Pani-Puri for the first time and it is so yummy!Special Features:
- RachDined on 10/9/2014Went to Amber India for dinner during my honeymoon. The service was good. The food was great. However, we were seated next to a very large party and the noise level from them was a little too high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely service, excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/6/2014We thoroughly enjoyed everything about our Amber India dinner for four. We had lots of vegetarian options--recommend Cauliflower Bezule and the baby eggplant dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GourmandVIPDined on 10/3/2014Consistently good. Probably one of the best Indian restaurants in SF. A little on the pricey side compared to other Indian restaurants, but well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive and food only okayfoodfoodfoodDined on 10/3/2014The food was decent, but not mind-blowing. I had expected mind-blowing as it had been recommended by several people to me as awesome Indian food. We got the butter chicken, which everyone had raved about. I thought it was okay - too tomatoey, definitely was missing some indian spice flavor. The other dish we got was Tandoori chicken. Again, decent but not amazing. A little rubbery. Cost: My bill totaled $80 - we got an appetizer and 2 entrees + rice and naan. I've never had to pay extra for rice when ordering curry - it has always been part of the meal. Seemed a bit like a huge ripoff to charge $5 for a small bowl of rice. Service: Service was great. All stars for this. I doubt I will be back here.
- Not so good!!!IndoChineseFoodieVIPDined on 10/1/2014I have eaten at Amber before and liked the food. Took a client this time. The place was over-packed. Food was at best average, too many people. On top of it, the manager asked us to leave as soon as we were done eating so that he could seat another party :(
- Yummy and must try the Palak ChaatJasindyDined on 9/29/2014We ate here 3 times in one week and even though this place was completely booked, the host was able to accommodate our group each time and fit us in so we didn't have to go searching for another spot. The spices and flavors were unbelievable in all of the dishes that I had. I couldn't get enough of their Samosa (so good). Don't forget to order the Palak Chaat.Special Features:
- reviewluvIndianFoodDined on 9/25/2014I've visited this restaurant a few times(for lunch and dinner) in last 8 months.Every time,the service was pathetic,noise level was so high(even during lunch).Waiters are busy on the tables where they see more than 3 ppl(trust me this is my observation),once you order the food,you'll have to wait for 20 mins or more,no follow ups from the waiters.If you order desert,that takes the same amount of time. Now u may ask,why do I visit this place then??well, I'm a semi vegan/vegetarian guy and most of the time,I stay in a hotel around market st(near this restaurant) and most of the time,food is not that bad.But this time,the service was super pathetic and I ordered for mild taste and got super spicy.When I informed waiter, he didn't care about itSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014Food was tasty but smaller portions for more money. Service was exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TangybillbobDined on 9/22/2014They don't ask the mild, medium, hot question! We ordered okra and were just told it's spicy. It was. Quite, but also tasty. the chef seems a bit mor heavy handed than a year ago, not sure if there's been a change but a scallop dish lost some subtlety to its hot spices. Overall very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining option for Indian foodGoldenVIPDined on 9/19/2014Amber is a great Indian restaurant with a lovely central location. The food and service are excellent. The chicken butter masala is excellent and also the biryani. The buffet for lunch has a very good selection of dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local1955VIPDined on 9/18/2014Meet my 23 yr old veggie daughter for lunch had the buffet. It was great the meat eater and the veggie eat very well. The goat was great.Special Features:
- Excellent for Occasions !!MridulVIPDined on 9/14/2014Excellent food & service.. Great for special Occasions .. Food is excellent and Great Service.. Nice Ambience..Special Features:
- good foodvegfoodieDined on 9/12/2014liked the food. would like to have variety of desserts .. more bowls and bigger late so less rounds to makeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodNorcalgalenVIPDined on 9/11/2014We are regulars, the butter chicken is one of the best things to eat on earth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.