25 Yerba Buena Lane
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.amber-india.com/SanFrancisco/
- Phone: 4157770500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm -10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm -10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Kirti Pant
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Let Amber organize and cater your next affair. We cater for all events from intimate meals to corporate parties. Customized menus and personalized packages are available. We will work with you to create the ideal menu for your affair. Your event may also be enhanced with specialty items and an array of colorful lines options.
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate parties up to 30 people.
- Private Party Contact: Janvi Thakkar 4157770500
A word from Amber India
Amber India Restaurant embodies the spirit and essence of fine Indian cuisine. Located in the heart of downtown San Francisco, Amber India Restaurant takes Indian cuisine to a new culinary level, while still holding true to its traditional nuances. Much like the ambiance within the restaurant, Amber India’s cuisine is a mix of modern style with traditional roots. The delectable cuisine, the well paired wines, and the exotic cocktails are sure to indulge anyone’s senses. The split-level three-story restaurant can easily accommodate 140 people, with a private dining room in the back for up to 25 people. With its vaulted ceilings, stylish décor, and a constant LED light show behind the bar, Amber India Restaurant is truly a feast for both the mouth as well as the eyes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Amber India - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Union Square ›
Amber India reviews from OpenTable diners
200 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (101)good for groups (76)great for lunch (50)special occasion (49)neighborhood gem (42)romantic (37)hot spot (34)vibrant bar scene (16)great for brunch (15)kid-friendly (9)late-night find (8)notable wine list (5)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Flavourful foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Our meal was highly enjoyable. We had the Vindaloo lamb shank, which should not be missed if you like some heat. A large portion but most importantly, it was so flavourful. We also had the tamarind eggplant dish and the garlic naan, both of which were also great. Wish we could have been with more people so that we could have tried more dishes. The ambiance was modern but warm. Service was decent. Would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Indian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/18/2014Went to Amber for an Indian food fix, very happy with service and especially with the food. This is a nice restaurant in the evening, not fine dining but definitely a bit upscale. The dishes we had were excellent. The pekora appetizer was one of the best i have ever had. I look forward to my next visit.Special Features:
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014If you like Indian food you must try Amber. Delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful foodOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 10/18/2014This is one of the best, if not the best, Indian restaurants in the Bay Area. The food is authentic, always fresh (even when served buffet style at lunch). And the location is terrific for business of social meetings.Special Features:
- Good food but rushed with foodWinthroptravelerDined on 10/17/2014Nice restaurant, decor is stylish and food of a high standard. Like many restaurants in the US there is no time between courses, however this was very fast. Our apps were out in less than 5 min of ordering (quicker than the drinks order)and entree before we were even finished the apps. It was not very busy with no wait, so no reason for it. Most people on a Friday night are out for dinner to relax, not to be rushed like a chain restaurant. I enjoyed it however give people 5-10 min between courses to we can enjoy your food and ambiance.Special Features:
- Awesome experience!!ExtraordinaryDined on 10/15/2014Took my customer and team out for dinner after Dreamforce conference in SF. Food was amazing! But the best part was the complimentary desserts that the restaurant manager brought just when we were about to leave....the desserts were absolutely "MIND BLOWING"... I am a a big foodie..and I have to say I have never had better "Gulab Jamuns" outside of India PERIOD!!! Congratulations to the chef, and special thanks to restaurant manager (Karam) for making it extra special for us!! All in all - great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian buffet.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/15/2014Best Indian buffet in the city. Very good and very good selection of items. Changed often. Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy "fine" diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014I went to Amber after a friend recommended the food to me. The food was really good, however, from what i had heard, I expected a fine dining experience which I did not get. The tables are all too close to each other and the place is really noisy. Not what I was hoping for an anniversary dinner. I like the Amber in San Jose much better in every aspect - food, ambience and noise level.Special Features:
- Great BrunchBethDined on 10/12/2014We loved everything they served. I tried Pani-Puri for the first time and it is so yummy!Special Features:
- RachDined on 10/9/2014Went to Amber India for dinner during my honeymoon. The service was good. The food was great. However, we were seated next to a very large party and the noise level from them was a little too high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely service, excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/6/2014We thoroughly enjoyed everything about our Amber India dinner for four. We had lots of vegetarian options--recommend Cauliflower Bezule and the baby eggplant dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GourmandVIPDined on 10/3/2014Consistently good. Probably one of the best Indian restaurants in SF. A little on the pricey side compared to other Indian restaurants, but well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive and food only okayfoodfoodfoodDined on 10/3/2014The food was decent, but not mind-blowing. I had expected mind-blowing as it had been recommended by several people to me as awesome Indian food. We got the butter chicken, which everyone had raved about. I thought it was okay - too tomatoey, definitely was missing some indian spice flavor. The other dish we got was Tandoori chicken. Again, decent but not amazing. A little rubbery. Cost: My bill totaled $80 - we got an appetizer and 2 entrees + rice and naan. I've never had to pay extra for rice when ordering curry - it has always been part of the meal. Seemed a bit like a huge ripoff to charge $5 for a small bowl of rice. Service: Service was great. All stars for this. I doubt I will be back here.
- Not so good!!!IndoChineseFoodieVIPDined on 10/1/2014I have eaten at Amber before and liked the food. Took a client this time. The place was over-packed. Food was at best average, too many people. On top of it, the manager asked us to leave as soon as we were done eating so that he could seat another party :(
- Yummy and must try the Palak ChaatJasindyDined on 9/29/2014We ate here 3 times in one week and even though this place was completely booked, the host was able to accommodate our group each time and fit us in so we didn't have to go searching for another spot. The spices and flavors were unbelievable in all of the dishes that I had. I couldn't get enough of their Samosa (so good). Don't forget to order the Palak Chaat.Special Features:
- reviewluvIndianFoodDined on 9/25/2014I've visited this restaurant a few times(for lunch and dinner) in last 8 months.Every time,the service was pathetic,noise level was so high(even during lunch).Waiters are busy on the tables where they see more than 3 ppl(trust me this is my observation),once you order the food,you'll have to wait for 20 mins or more,no follow ups from the waiters.If you order desert,that takes the same amount of time. Now u may ask,why do I visit this place then??well, I'm a semi vegan/vegetarian guy and most of the time,I stay in a hotel around market st(near this restaurant) and most of the time,food is not that bad.But this time,the service was super pathetic and I ordered for mild taste and got super spicy.When I informed waiter, he didn't care about itSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014Food was tasty but smaller portions for more money. Service was exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TangybillbobDined on 9/22/2014They don't ask the mild, medium, hot question! We ordered okra and were just told it's spicy. It was. Quite, but also tasty. the chef seems a bit mor heavy handed than a year ago, not sure if there's been a change but a scallop dish lost some subtlety to its hot spices. Overall very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining option for Indian foodGoldenVIPDined on 9/19/2014Amber is a great Indian restaurant with a lovely central location. The food and service are excellent. The chicken butter masala is excellent and also the biryani. The buffet for lunch has a very good selection of dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local1955VIPDined on 9/18/2014Meet my 23 yr old veggie daughter for lunch had the buffet. It was great the meat eater and the veggie eat very well. The goat was great.Special Features:
- good foodvegfoodieDined on 9/12/2014liked the food. would like to have variety of desserts .. more bowls and bigger late so less rounds to makeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodNorcalgalenVIPDined on 9/11/2014We are regulars, the butter chicken is one of the best things to eat on earth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best at dinnerAmbianceDined on 9/8/2014Love arrive when it is still daylight, then enjoying dinner at a leisurely pace as twilight descends, and Amber India lowers its lights and the glow becomes, well, more amber. The food is delicious at any hour, but at night is especially good when you can take time to savor. Best enjoyed with a few people where you can share the assorted flavors. We enjoyed the calamari and shrimp appetizers, prepared with fresh seafood. Followed by a basket of breads, butter chicken, and basmati rice.Special Features:
- Great First Time HeresfdinerDined on 9/8/2014I absolutely loved the theme of this bar! Loved the book-style decor and character-named drinks. I had a small group and was glad I made a reservation as the place filled up quickly as soon as it was 5:30. (Though it never got too loud that i could not hear others in my group speaking) The drinks were a tad pricey to me, but this is San Francisco, and the selection of drinks and novelty of the bar was a fair trade in my opinion. I would have liked a few more snack/appetizer selections, but my group did order the Charcuterie plate and I thought that was reasonably priced for the variety it provided. My group commented on how surprisingly good everything was. Needless to say, I will be coming back here!Special Features:
- Perfect!jimmyDined on 9/6/2014The staff recognized our Open Table reservation and seated us almost immediately. They were attentive, but not overly so. The food was excellent, portion sizes perfect, it was delivered very timely, and completed an overall wonderful evening Indian meal for my wife and me. I will definitely go back to Amber.
- Better than mostHungryhVIPDined on 9/6/2014Upscale Indian and delicious. Great Sevice and non-alcoholic drinks will return next time in SFOSpecial Features:
- Great food. Great ambienceXplorefoodieDined on 9/5/2014Food was fantastic. Busy so took a little long to get service but once there our server was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but pricey for IndianPianoManVIPDined on 9/5/2014We've been here before. Restaurant space is fantastic and comfortable. Food is pricey for Indian but good. We did the Tandoori Sampler and Chicken Biryani. Too much food- probably could get by with just the Biryani - kind of a Indian Calzone in a bowl. Tandoori sampler came with yogurt sauce and we asked for some tikka marsala sauce and were charged another $2.00. Chili Cheese Kulcha was good - not chili enough however. We've been to a lot of other Indian places that had the same quality and variety of food that were much cheaper. We'll come back though for the Biryani and hope the sauce is free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Team lunch at AmberConnoisseurSFDined on 9/5/2014Pros: Buffet was good quality food - veg and non-veg dishes with quick refills. They were quick to serve the naans to the table and service was prompt when something was asked for. Cons: Reallly long lines during lunch hour which is not easy to navigate. Recommendation: Go here for happy hour or for dinner - really good food (recommend the amber dal, palak chaat, kebabs) Lunch - go really early or late as this is a hotspot for the buffet.Special Features:
- Very nicegreygeekDined on 9/4/2014Had a nice team dinner here. The food was excellent, the service leisurely and the ambience was cool.Special Features:
- Close to perfectionNickVIPDined on 9/1/2014From high energy yet romantic ambiance to excellent service to every dish a piece of art, this restaurant has pretty much everything. My highly recommended dishes; palak chat, badam baingan (almond filled eggplant) accompanied with mattar naan (green pea bread).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingdesifoodieVIPDined on 9/1/2014Amber has been a regular fixture in my trips to SF. This time around Amber was really disappointing. It lacked flavor. Service was decent. But we left restaurant feeling really annoyed having spent good money on useless food. Please avoid this place if you want serious India food.Special Features:
- Good food, poor serviceFoodieDined on 8/31/2014We had heard a lot about this restaurant, so we made it a point to go when we were in San Francisco. The lunch buffet was very good, with many choices for appetizers and main courses. Mimosas, along with soft drinks were included in the buffet price. The desserts were below average (in my opinion) and nothing to rave about. Service wasn't great, probably because the place was packed and they were understaffed. There was a Mexican man making chaat - when I asked him to make sev-puri, he started to give me dahi puri, so I had to ask him to make it again. Overall it was a good experience, and had the service been good, I would have rated it as "excellent". Great ambience too!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/29/2014Absolutely delicious! We will return. Best Indian food we've had in the Bay Area.Special Features:
- Amazing Indian FoodshaelynndrielDined on 8/25/2014Best Indian food that me and my husband have ever had. Absolutely delicious! Our server was very friendly and helpful in selecting dishes. The only thing I regret is that our appetites wouldn't allow for us to order more than 2 dishes to share; everything on the menu looked fantastic. The butter chicken in particular was stunning. Highly recommend it!Special Features:
- SAiscoolDined on 8/23/2014The food was authentic and first class. Service when we first arrived slow as if we were invisible, soon as we were identified as waiting service improved. When we arrived no table in our name dispute showing them the confirmation e mail recived. What would have happened if they were not full!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative flavorsBevyDined on 8/23/2014The best lentil Dal ever; and then the cauliflower with coconut milk is phenomenal; brown rice too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentKWellsDined on 8/22/2014As always, Amber delivered a great meal. Cocktails were very good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amber has always been greatAndyDined on 8/18/2014Service has gone down hill a bit, but still awesome foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deanhiDined on 8/17/2014Loved this restaurant last summer when visiting SF and was looking forward to it this year. The table we were seated at was awful and asked to be moved but they did not accommodate us. It was noisy and the waiter tried his best but was not as experienced as our waitress last year. Food was excellent last year but disappointing this year. With so many excellent restaurants in SF, I doubt I would waste my time going back to Amber India in SF.