25 Yerba Buena Lane
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.amber-india.com/SanFrancisco/
- Phone: 4157770500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm -10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm -10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Kirti Pant
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Let Amber organize and cater your next affair. We cater for all events from intimate meals to corporate parties. Customized menus and personalized packages are available. We will work with you to create the ideal menu for your affair. Your event may also be enhanced with specialty items and an array of colorful lines options.
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate parties up to 30 people.
- Private Party Contact: Janvi Thakkar 4157770500
A word from Amber India
Amber India Restaurant embodies the spirit and essence of fine Indian cuisine. Located in the heart of downtown San Francisco, Amber India Restaurant takes Indian cuisine to a new culinary level, while still holding true to its traditional nuances. Much like the ambiance within the restaurant, Amber India’s cuisine is a mix of modern style with traditional roots. The delectable cuisine, the well paired wines, and the exotic cocktails are sure to indulge anyone’s senses. The split-level three-story restaurant can easily accommodate 140 people, with a private dining room in the back for up to 25 people. With its vaulted ceilings, stylish décor, and a constant LED light show behind the bar, Amber India Restaurant is truly a feast for both the mouth as well as the eyes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Amber India - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Union Square ›
Amber India reviews from OpenTable diners
201 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (98)good for groups (70)special occasion (62)great for lunch (46)neighborhood gem (43)romantic (40)hot spot (32)vibrant bar scene (19)great for brunch (17)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (9)notable wine list (7)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/29/2014Absolutely delicious! We will return. Best Indian food we've had in the Bay Area.Special Features:
- SAiscoolDined on 8/23/2014The food was authentic and first class. Service when we first arrived slow as if we were invisible, soon as we were identified as waiting service improved. When we arrived no table in our name dispute showing them the confirmation e mail recived. What would have happened if they were not full!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative flavorsBevyDined on 8/23/2014The best lentil Dal ever; and then the cauliflower with coconut milk is phenomenal; brown rice too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentKWellsDined on 8/22/2014As always, Amber delivered a great meal. Cocktails were very good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amber has always been greatAndyDined on 8/18/2014Service has gone down hill a bit, but still awesome foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deanhiDined on 8/17/2014Loved this restaurant last summer when visiting SF and was looking forward to it this year. The table we were seated at was awful and asked to be moved but they did not accommodate us. It was noisy and the waiter tried his best but was not as experienced as our waitress last year. Food was excellent last year but disappointing this year. With so many excellent restaurants in SF, I doubt I would waste my time going back to Amber India in SF.
- Amazing!UNFSocProfVIPDined on 8/16/2014I selected Amber India while travelling to SF after seeing it on the SF Chronicle's list of best restaurants in the Bay Area. The décor is clean and modern, but not cold or austere. But the food... I left the restaurant feeling that this was one of the top 10 dishes/meals I have ever had. While service was spotty (never really knew who our serve was), all of the food and drinks were presented in a timely manner. Most importantly, the roasted eggplant dish was amazing. It was wonderfully flavored and melt-in-your mouth soft. So delicious and comforting. The cauliflower appetizer was also delicious. I would absolutely visit again and recommend to others.Special Features:
- UpscaleHowardr48VIPDined on 8/14/2014Amber India had to be the most upscale Indian restaurants that I ever dined at and it was wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Contemporary "Indian" RestaurantloueaterVIPDined on 8/13/2014Lovely space, close to the Moscone Center and adjacent to the Marriott Marquis hotel. The style is a fusion of Indian/Pakistani cooking techniques with fresh California products. Outstanding! Amber is very popular with the local techies and visitors to San Francisco as well. The restaurant was "slammed" on a Wednesday evening in August. We first visited the restaurant in 2012. Amber has grown in popularity, quality of service and sophisticated cooking style over the past two years.Special Features:
- Was it because it was Monday?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/11/2014We had been here for lunch a few years ago as a group and had a great experience with the food and service but this time Amber didn't measure up. The food wasn't as fresh or as good. Were they serving things from Sunday? It was lacking the sparkle that was Amber. It was ok, no longer special.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014We come only for special occasions, but always enjoy the food.Special Features:
- Food great...service questionableOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/9/2014Reservation at 10pm and as we sat down we were told to hurry up and order as the kitchen would be closing soon...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhenominalAK19VIPDined on 8/9/2014Service problems seem to be over. Outstanding food. Certainly best in the Bay area.Special Features:
- Best Indian food expecience in SfRajivMDined on 8/9/2014Amber is probably the best Indian food experience in town, the food is dependable, authentic and well made, the service is better than most Indian restaurants (professional servers) and the ambiance is what sets this restaurant apart. Amber is unlike most Indian restaurants, professionally run and managed and a deliberate attempt to build and operate a "gourmet restaurant", although the manu sticks to the well worn basics. If I am looking for an Indian menu for a business or formal occasion this is the place to go, it doesn’t disappoint.Special Features:
- Was hoping for moreSloanwallVIPDined on 8/8/2014Tasty food well prepared, good experience for first-time Indian food folks, but rather high prices and lackluster service through multiple servers marred the experience.
- Upscale SettingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014Great modern interpretation of authentic indian cuisine--All the flavors of India with less heat and intensity--Mary's butter chicken is a must order, with a rich, spicy sauce== The Duck App is a classic !--Wonderful, attentive service from the staff- J.Special Features:
- Lunch BuffetMikelDined on 8/7/2014We are frequent patrons but this was the first time stopping in for lunch. It did not disappoint. The buffet was excellent and service was equal to what we always receive.Special Features:
- did not honor the reservationcriticaldinerVIPDined on 8/7/2014made a reservation on open table but they would not seat us in the dining room during lunch time. we had to sit by the bar. to make matters worse, the waiter in the bar area gave us major attitude because he did not know who was sitting where as they don't let you order off the menu in the bar area, and the buffet line takes a very long time. overall, good food and great naan, but an unpleasant experience, and inexperienced, young staff. they do a much better job at santana row.
- Amazing!Desigirl123Dined on 8/3/2014One of the best indian restaurants I have been to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Indian FoodcdehusDined on 8/2/2014That's all that needs to be said. In a city where good Indian food is hard to come by, Amber delivers incredible food in a fairly upscale setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- k4302OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/2/2014The best Indian Food we've ever had. Helpful staff.Special Features:
- Fusion Indian - interestingOutnaboutDined on 8/1/2014Food - fusion Indian - very interesting but not that tasty and of questionable value given the price charged.
- Outstanding!!rnltxVIPDined on 7/29/2014Ate twice in a week. Can't wait to get back. Some dishes are a little eclectic, some more traditional (but different from the usual fare). All are wonderfully prepared & presented. Service is super. Nice wines. Hint: for Desi's - you can ask for spicier preparations...Special Features:
- tutto bene tranne un piattosimoneDined on 7/28/2014bel locale con personale gentile e professionale. buon menu con carta de vini ricca e con buon rapporto qualita'-prezzo. ha rovinato tutto il salmone. avevamo espresssmente chiesto di evitare l'aglio ma ci hanno portato un piatto che avrebbe ucciso dracula! inoltre la carta stagnola cge avvolgeva il pesce non si riusciva a togliere. un po' deludente per un piatto da 25 $ la cameriera molto gentile era dispiaciuta e ci ha omaggiato con un gelato. la cosa sorprendente e' stato ritrovare il famigerato salmone nel doggy bag! mah....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced but amazingMihirNDined on 7/28/2014The food was terrific, but the prices were about 15% too high.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/27/2014We truly enjoyed our meal--our out-of-town guest plans to bring back co-workers this week for more! Each dish looked beautiful as it arrived, smelled so aromatic we couldn't wait to dive in, and tasted wonderful to boot. Note that dishes have "heat" in the Indian tradition, not the lack of spicing you'd expect in a 50s Midwestern diner! The restaurant was elegant and lovely, filled with people, but still perfect for us to enjoy dinner conversation while we ate. Our main waiter was especially gracious and helpful. Special favorites were the trout--done to perfection--and Mary's butter chicken. We also loved the Belgian chocolate molten cake and the mango brulee.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014I am definitely biased when I say that this is a great restaurant, but for good reason. I've been here about five times now and I have never been disappointed by the food or the service. One of the few high-class Indian restaurants in the city, Amber India is a true gem. The food is incredibly flavorful, and the staff are always friendly and really want to make sure that you have an excellent meal. They give great recommendations too, so don't hesitate to ask them what they like! The restaurant is quieter before 7pm. After that is when more people start rolling in and it can get a bit loud.Special Features:
- Not as good as usualgoodtasteDined on 7/26/2014Food definitely not as good as usual. Lamb shank was tough. Okra spices were too heavy. Disappointed because the restaurant is usually a favorite.Special Features:
- Seriously tasty foodFoggyEthanVIPDined on 7/26/2014Most Indian food is just a tomato base or a cream base (or a mix) with some spices. But not many spices. Amber packs a lot of flavor into their dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced, horrible serviceGabyVIPDined on 7/23/2014I had such high hopes for this place since we used to go to the Santana Row location quite often when we lived in the south bay. We went for lunch, the lunch buffet itself is delicious and spicy, with a nice variety and even though it's a tad overpriced it's in a nice location in a nice looking building. A $4 mango lassi filled to 3/4 of a cocktail glass however... is a bit much. The service?? HORRIBLE, from the 10 min we had to wait at the front desk for the host to finally get off the phone to sit us, to the incoherent conversation I had with the waiter. The bill came before we asked for it (huge pet peeve of mine) and the bathroom was beyond disgusting with smears on the stall walls.
- Indian restaurant near MarketBerkeleyDined on 7/15/2014Excellent food in this vibrant and busy Indian restaurant convenient to Union Square.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScrumptiousHungryInVADined on 7/14/2014This restaurant did not disappoint. The menu was creative. There were the dishes you expect (tikka masala, butter chicken, palak chaat), and some new additions that were odd and enjoyable. There was a sprout side dish that was particularly curious. I'd go back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodMaggieDined on 7/14/2014I booked a table for 6, and we got the worst table in the whole restaurant. We were just beside the emergency exit. Service was good, and the place is really nice and romantic (if you get a normal table) I've been here before and this won't be my last. Food is just fantastic.Special Features:
- Excellent mealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014We had a great experience from start to finish. The appetizer and the accompanying sauce was exceptional. The main course of shrimp and aloo gobi was even better. We loved the garlic naan. Truly excellent!Special Features:
- Amber IndiaClarkVIPDined on 7/12/2014Amber India (SOMA San Francisco) is a family favorite restaurant of ours and our most recent dinner there was no exception. The Four Chile Rubbed Sea Bass was extraordinary.Special Features:
- Good quick buffet lunchDisappointingVIPDined on 7/9/2014Stopped by for a quick lunch last week. Overall a very good buffet, with many solid and tasty choices. I love their butter chicken! Would definitely come here again when in the area.Special Features:
- An annual traditionYummyMummyDined on 7/8/2014A trip to SanFrancisco for the annual Intersolar would be woefully incomplete for me without an evening (or two, or three...) at Amber. I've made this a tradition for the past 4 years. The food is incredible and our server was delightful and extremely attentive. This is a MUST DO on your SanFrancisco Bucket List!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/6/2014This was a very enjoyable dining experience. Our server was very attentive and there when we needed her. The food is excellent and great for sharing at the table. I'm definitely going back!!!Special Features:
- The food is great.austinpowersDined on 7/5/2014Me and my friend showed up separately and were seated on different tables, when though the reservation was in my name. I think they had misplaced my reservation through open table. In the evenings they seem to more chaotic. I also thought that the servers were too "fake" friendly. The food is great, highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Lunch Buffet not for foodiesSujitPalDined on 7/5/2014Compared to my previous dinner experience at Amber the lunch buffet was slightly disappointing. What distinguishes Amber in my opinion is the imagination and skill the chefs display while blending Indian and non-Indian ingredients and recipes to invent delicious new dishes. That imagination and inventiveness was not visible at the lunch buffet - the fare consisted of old favorites such as butter chicken, spicy lamb curry, tandoori chicken - solid traditional Indian restaurant food, perhaps tastier than most other restaurants, but nothing to rave about, and definitely not good value at their above average prices. While I will definitely go back for dinner, I'll probably order off the menu if I ever go for lunch.Special Features: