Amber India - Mountain View
2290 W. El Camino Real Suite 9
Mountain View, CA 94040Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Amber India - Mountain View
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.amber-india.com/
- Phone: (650) 968-7511
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant for further details
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant for further details. Private dining room has a full bar attached to it. Can seat a maximum 45 person. For rates contact the managers
- Private Party Contact: Tejas or Anoop 6509687511
- Special Events: New Year's Eve Fantastic Dinner Buffet. Live Cooking Station & Live Music Band. 2 Seating 6.30 pm & 8.30 pm
A word from Amber India - Mountain View
Located in the heart of Silicon Valley, Amber India in Mountain View has earned the reputation of the best Indian Restaurant in the San Francisco Bay Area. Inside the restaurant you’ll find that owner Vijay Bist strives to provide a cozy, relaxing, ‘walk back in time’ environment influenced by traditional Indian artwork and décor. An extensive vegetarian and non-vegetarian North Indian menu explores the moghlai cuisine and tandoori cooking. To complete a perfect dining experience, you will find an exceptional selection of cocktails, beers, fine wines and traditional Indian drinks along with friendly, courteous service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Amber India - Mountain View - Best Restaurants in Mountain View ›
Amber India - Mountain View reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (35)neighborhood gem (28)special occasion (20)good for groups (20)great for lunch (13)romantic (9)kid-friendly (8)great for brunch (5)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)notable wine list (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Indian BuffetEDWARDVIPDined on 11/22/2014I enjoyed the weekend buffet at Amber India, as there was plenty of tasty food and the offerings were varied from a salad bar, to an extensive entree buffet, and sweet table. The service was most attentive, and the staff made sure I had plenty of beverages and nan. While the buffet is a bit expensive and the restaurant is a very simple establishment at a strip mall, I was pleased with my lunch experience and would return again when seeking Indian food in Mountain View.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Tikka MasalaLady53Dined on 11/21/2014I love their Tikka Masala. It was a great blend of spices and that creamy taste in the sauce. This is my go to India Restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amber India is amazing!UCBMomDined on 11/17/2014I made a reservation at Amber India In Mountain View based on two things: gluten-free options and great online reviews. Soon after, a friend told us that it's her favorite restaurant! In the Bay Area, that's saying something! When asked what she would recommend, she said "Everything!" The Chicken Tikka Masala is to die for - I wanted to drink the sauce. We also had the Kerala Lamb curry, which was spicy and delicious. My boyfriend loved the Garlic Naan, while I, for the first time, tried Papadum, which was thin and crispy and full of flavor - a great gluten-free accompaniment to my meal. Amber India is amazing and you will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014I had ordered the Kerala Lamb Curry with white rice. Amazing!! I really enjoyed this plate.Special Features:
- Great food, though expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/25/2014Best Indian we've had in the area. About $100 for 3 without appetizers or dessert.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service and ambienceSandipDined on 10/23/2014Very attentive service. Good quiet ambience. Lot more to be desired about the food.Special Features:
- Very pleasant experiencejdrrcDined on 9/26/2014Outstanding service, very good standard Indian cuisine, noise level moderate (unusual for most of the restaurants in the Bay Area, in our experience), extensive and varied menu with several dishes not often found, modest but well-chosen wine list by the glass. Seems to get better each time we dine here.Special Features:
- Top Notch IndianLcllosgatosDined on 9/21/2014Since moving to the area from London where good Indian food is common, we had not found anything comparable until trying Amber. We were not disappointed. All the flavours we expected, well prepared and presented. Nice atmosphere and attentive service. On our list!Special Features:
- My Go_To Indian RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014Authentic indian food: mostly north indian, tasteful, not too greasy and you can definitely ask them to modify the ingredients to suit your level of spiciness etc. One of the only indian restaurants i would go to in the SF Bay Area (I'm an Indian) , even though there are many around here. Quite friendly wait staff, good to make reservations since weekends and afternoons can be crowded.Special Features:
- Simply Fantastic!BayaNativeVIPDined on 9/5/2014This is the first restaurant I have ever felt compelled to write a review for. Amber was recommended to me by a co-worker earlier this week and had the chance to slip down for dinner Friday night. While the outside of the restaurant is understated, the interior is nicely decorated, the service is supuberb and the food is simply the best Indian food I have ever tasted. There is tremendous pride in everything this restaurant does, and it is apparent from the moment you arrive to when you leave. There is no pretense, just quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice meal...............jbjbDined on 8/26/2014Fairly quiet at 5-7pm on a Tues...............Good food tho could use more non-dairy mild meat dishes to choose from. Tandoori appetiser great tho I think it had only 2 of the 3 types of meat offered. Xlnt service. Very good okra dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014The appetizers and entrees were fantastic: rich creamy sauces, superb seasoning and piping hot food. Skip the desserts, however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going downhillDownhillDined on 8/22/2014We (a group of 4) have eaten at Amber for several years and at least a dozen dinners, probably more. This meal was not up to par. We were rushed in finishing our courses. Dishes even removed from the table while some of our group were still eating their appetizer & soup though others were finished, thus leading to that 'rush' feeling. As for the food, Papadam were overcooked (dark & almost scorched), the Mulligatwany needed fenugreek, Butter Chicken was bland, Rogan Josh was all jalapeno and no curry, Palak Paneer was OK, rice was dry and assorted bread has some doughy selections. The Raita was the best dish we ordered. A disappointment from what had been a favorite restaurant. Have then changed the chef during the past year?
- always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/19/2014Amber India is always great: the service is impeccable, and the food is always excellent. This time, we had three people, and shared two appetizers, two mains, rice, and naan. I can't imagine how it could have been better.Special Features:
- GREAT FOOD!IMREADYTOEAT123VIPDined on 8/17/2014Service is TERRIFIC (very attentive & super friendly) EVERYTIME I've been here (& I'm here like EVERY Tues). The food is *AMAZINGLY* DELICIOUS. I really love LOVE love their palak paneer and their fried veggies (pakora???). YUM! And their naan is PHE'naan'MENAL! :) Their taro and eggplant dishes are pretty spicy but still super awesomely perfect. The dishes change from time to time and their fresh salad is SO GOOD! This place is pretty popular so the buffett line gets LOOOONG. So I advise taking 2-3 big fat plates (or however many you can balance with your hands) to reduce waiting time.;) I will definitely be back here MANY times and be leaving with a fatter belly.Special Features:
- Always excellent!halfdomeVIPDined on 8/15/2014Quality of food is excellent -very fresh and very well prepared. We enjoy every visit. Service is also outstanding - very courteous.Special Features:
- Food was delicious.SglavinosDined on 8/14/2014Food was delicious. Service was fast. Will definitely go again.Special Features:
- always excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/8/2014Amber India is always excellent, from the service to the food. The vegetarian options are always outstanding. The menu changes, highlighting new flavors and dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go here EARLY for LunchDanTheManDined on 8/8/2014We arrived for a business meeting here last Friday at 11:30. We went in and the place was empty, the buffet was really the only choice. Buffet food was excellent but the good stuff is at the end on another table on the other side of the long buffet. The butter chicken was luscious. The Tandoori chicken was great, potatoes and saag, most everything was very good or better. Dessert was great too. Great food like Amber India San Jose. By 12:30 the line to get in was out the front door with waves of people coming up thru 1:00. You can probably get in during the rush and the line moves as all buffet's do. Service was good too. As lunch prices go its not cheap nor highbrow. I'm a foodie and this place is highly recommended for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The old AmbernurealamDined on 8/7/2014Hadn't been here in years though we have gone to the glitzy downtown SF Amber several times. They bear no relation to each other. Amber MV has a tired very, very typical North Indian menu. We went down (from the East Bay) to meet someone here otherwise we would not have gone. Folks are extremely nice; service is constant and terrific. However the food is very ordinary. Unless you live in the neighborhood, there's little reason to go here. Sorry to say that. It wouldn't hurt if ideas from the Yerba Buena site were taken up in the MV location
- Great Indian Dining PlaceCaseyDined on 8/2/2014We had Kerala Lamb Curry$ 19.95, and Chicken Ka Tikka. Both delicious and cooked to perfection. We split them so we could both enjoy them, and loved both dishes. We recommend Amber India to anyone that loves Indian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 347 reviews are from the Amber India - Mountain View reviews archive.
- Fantastic Indian FoodMontyVIPDined on 7/18/2014Food and service excellent. Best Indian food we've had in America!Special Features:
- DecentraviVIPDined on 7/5/2014Very good service and the food was decent. The butter chicken was delicious but the kebabobs were dry. Prices were reasonable and over all I thought was an excellent place
- Eag70Dined on 6/28/2014Food was excellent,Service was quick and efficient.One crying child was a distraction.Restaurant was not very crowded for a Saturday night but we did go there early.Will plan to return to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall a good place...ShekarDined on 6/27/2014We like the food here for most part. It is a bit pricey, not sure why, but that is what it is (No, I am not hesitant to pay price for good food, what I meant here is that price to food quality (taste) ratio [price/(food quality) is high). I have been here several times, and the food quality is at least consistent, over several years. May be a good place for some special occasions, not necessarily for regular weekend dining!Special Features:
- Excellent food, great serviceJackieDined on 6/25/2014We hadn't been here for a few years. The last time we came we were in the front room with a number of family groups with rowdy, poorly supervised children. We barely knew what we were eating and couldn't wait to get out. This time we noticed the family groups were in one room and the adult groups and couples like us in the back. This was so much better and it was a whole different experience. The butter chicken, tandoori chicken, and naan bread were all excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FluffyVIPDined on 6/23/2014A reliable restaurant. The menu is extensive and authentic. We order lots of entries. take home the leftovers and enjoy the whole experience again the next day.Special Features:
- Not their faultLady53Dined on 6/21/2014We were sat next to a family of four who's parents did not believe in discipline. The 2 year old jumped up and down on the booth, then started shrieking at the top of his lungs while the Mom encouraged this behavior by tinkling him. When the food arrived he decided to throw it around and the parents just sat there. I would have liked someone from the restaurant to have ask them to control their kids as we were not the only ones annoyed.Special Features:
- Indian FoodSandraVIPDined on 6/20/2014Love the Indian food here. It is usually very cold in the restaurant so bring a sweater.
- FantasticcherribombDined on 6/14/2014The most memorable Indian meal we've had in a while.Special Features:
- Excellent Food/Location/AmbienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/4/2014Superb place for good food, great service, cordial staff and excellent ambience and decorSpecial Features:
- Good, but not great Indian foodrwguayDined on 5/31/2014The Tandoori mixed grill caused my wife to say 'you need to be in India for real tandoori'. We didn't finish all of the plate. I ordered Sangria, which is probably not the best choice at an Indian restaurant, and it tasted more like rum than red wine. Finally, my wife asked for rasgulla for dessert and they were out of it. I ordered the kulfi and it was rock hard and virtually impossible to cut through with a knife, let alone a spoon. It was a great evening since my Dad was watching our two young kids and we could relax and talk uninterrupted, but the dining experience left us a little unsatisfied.
- Great South Bay Indianrokn1500VIPDined on 5/20/2014We have been here twice this month. This place is great. They have the traditional Indian menu that we are familiar with, but also do some more creative itens. Try the Gohbi Manchurian, for example. Also had the vegetable biriyani and the matter paneer is excellent as well. They seem to bring everything at the same time, so if you want a set of courses, it is best to stagger your ordering. Ambience is good, not great. Chairs are quite comfortable and the place is nicely decoriated and seems very clean.
- Excellent, as alwaysNotmyrealnameDined on 5/17/2014Not my first time at Amber, but the first time for my partner, who had lived in India for six months. He was very impressed and even though it's a bit of a trip for us, we'll be back. Excellent food and perfect service. The okra, chicken and lamb were delicious.Special Features:
- great restaurantJoeLDined on 5/17/2014Great food and great service. The butter chicken was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most spectacular Indian foodjforDined on 5/15/2014This place is amazing. I have been coming here every couple of months. It is by far the best Indian food in the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It has been betterDownhillDined on 5/11/2014The food was not quite as good as usual this time. The naan & kulcha was burned on one side, too scorched to be good. The Mulligatawny soup was not tasty either. The curries sauces (lamb & chicken) were thin & runny, not thick as I prefer. The rice portion was not adequate for 3 people so we ran out before the end of the meal. This time it was a disappointment & I've been to this restaurant at least 15 times over the years.
- The most delicious Indian food everRUBINSFVIPDined on 5/11/2014This is our absolute favorite place for Indian food on the Peninsula and beyond. We try to go as often as we can. Whether you are there for a lunch buffet or ordering off the menu, the food is delicious, comes in a breathtaking variety and always hits the spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- musicloverDined on 5/10/2014Despite reservations, sat us down near the service bar. Complained. Initially told we could not be moved. We objected and they moved us. Very loud .. . conversations booming. Food good but heavy on the salt.Special Features:
- Exceptional Service, Good QualityMAJTimDined on 5/4/2014Tried this place out for the first time for lunch and had the buffet with my wife and toddler. Exceptional service and good variety to choose from. Very pricey though, at least $15 for an adult and no military discount even while I was in uniform. The atmosphere is nice, the inside looks much better than the outside. Place is hard to find and easy to drive past. I would still recommend if you are in the area craving Indian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.