Amber India - Mountain View
2290 W. El Camino Real Suite 9
Mountain View, CA 94040Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Amber India - Mountain View
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.amber-india.com/
- Phone: 6509687511
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant for further details
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant for further details. Private dining room has a full bar attached to it. Can seat a maximum 45 person. For rates contact the managers
- Private Party Contact: Tejas or Anoop 6509687511
- Special Events: New Year's Eve Fantastic Dinner Buffet. Live Cooking Station & Live Music Band. 2 Seating 6.30 pm & 8.30 pm
A word from Amber India - Mountain View
Located in the heart of Silicon Valley, Amber India in Mountain View has earned the reputation of the best Indian Restaurant in the San Francisco Bay Area. Inside the restaurant you’ll find that owner Vijay Bist strives to provide a cozy, relaxing, ‘walk back in time’ environment influenced by traditional Indian artwork and décor. An extensive vegetarian and non-vegetarian North Indian menu explores the moghlai cuisine and tandoori cooking. To complete a perfect dining experience, you will find an exceptional selection of cocktails, beers, fine wines and traditional Indian drinks along with friendly, courteous service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Amber India - Mountain View - Best Restaurants in Mountain View ›
Amber India - Mountain View reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since April 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (35)neighborhood gem (29)special occasion (24)good for groups (14)great for lunch (14)kid-friendly (8)romantic (7)great for brunch (7)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- GREAT FOOD!IMREADYTOEAT123VIPDined on 8/17/2014Service is TERRIFIC (very attentive & super friendly) EVERYTIME I've been here (& I'm here like EVERY Tues). The food is *AMAZINGLY* DELICIOUS. I really love LOVE love their palak paneer and their fried veggies (pakora???). YUM! And their naan is PHE'naan'MENAL! :) Their taro and eggplant dishes are pretty spicy but still super awesomely perfect. The dishes change from time to time and their fresh salad is SO GOOD! This place is pretty popular so the buffett line gets LOOOONG. So I advise taking 2-3 big fat plates (or however many you can balance with your hands) to reduce waiting time.;) I will definitely be back here MANY times and be leaving with a fatter belly.Special Features:
- Always excellent!halfdomeVIPDined on 8/15/2014Quality of food is excellent -very fresh and very well prepared. We enjoy every visit. Service is also outstanding - very courteous.Special Features:
- Food was delicious.SglavinosDined on 8/14/2014Food was delicious. Service was fast. Will definitely go again.Special Features:
- always excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/8/2014Amber India is always excellent, from the service to the food. The vegetarian options are always outstanding. The menu changes, highlighting new flavors and dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go here EARLY for LunchDanTheManDined on 8/8/2014We arrived for a business meeting here last Friday at 11:30. We went in and the place was empty, the buffet was really the only choice. Buffet food was excellent but the good stuff is at the end on another table on the other side of the long buffet. The butter chicken was luscious. The Tandoori chicken was great, potatoes and saag, most everything was very good or better. Dessert was great too. Great food like Amber India San Jose. By 12:30 the line to get in was out the front door with waves of people coming up thru 1:00. You can probably get in during the rush and the line moves as all buffet's do. Service was good too. As lunch prices go its not cheap nor highbrow. I'm a foodie and this place is highly recommended for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The old AmbernurealamDined on 8/7/2014Hadn't been here in years though we have gone to the glitzy downtown SF Amber several times. They bear no relation to each other. Amber MV has a tired very, very typical North Indian menu. We went down (from the East Bay) to meet someone here otherwise we would not have gone. Folks are extremely nice; service is constant and terrific. However the food is very ordinary. Unless you live in the neighborhood, there's little reason to go here. Sorry to say that. It wouldn't hurt if ideas from the Yerba Buena site were taken up in the MV location
- Great Indian Dining PlaceCaseyDined on 8/2/2014We had Kerala Lamb Curry$ 19.95, and Chicken Ka Tikka. Both delicious and cooked to perfection. We split them so we could both enjoy them, and loved both dishes. We recommend Amber India to anyone that loves Indian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Indian FoodMontyVIPDined on 7/18/2014Food and service excellent. Best Indian food we've had in America!Special Features:
- DecentraviVIPDined on 7/5/2014Very good service and the food was decent. The butter chicken was delicious but the kebabobs were dry. Prices were reasonable and over all I thought was an excellent place
- Eag70Dined on 6/28/2014Food was excellent,Service was quick and efficient.One crying child was a distraction.Restaurant was not very crowded for a Saturday night but we did go there early.Will plan to return to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall a good place...ShekarDined on 6/27/2014We like the food here for most part. It is a bit pricey, not sure why, but that is what it is (No, I am not hesitant to pay price for good food, what I meant here is that price to food quality (taste) ratio [price/(food quality) is high). I have been here several times, and the food quality is at least consistent, over several years. May be a good place for some special occasions, not necessarily for regular weekend dining!Special Features:
- Excellent food, great serviceJackieDined on 6/25/2014We hadn't been here for a few years. The last time we came we were in the front room with a number of family groups with rowdy, poorly supervised children. We barely knew what we were eating and couldn't wait to get out. This time we noticed the family groups were in one room and the adult groups and couples like us in the back. This was so much better and it was a whole different experience. The butter chicken, tandoori chicken, and naan bread were all excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not their faultLady53Dined on 6/21/2014We were sat next to a family of four who's parents did not believe in discipline. The 2 year old jumped up and down on the booth, then started shrieking at the top of his lungs while the Mom encouraged this behavior by tinkling him. When the food arrived he decided to throw it around and the parents just sat there. I would have liked someone from the restaurant to have ask them to control their kids as we were not the only ones annoyed.Special Features:
- Indian FoodSandraVIPDined on 6/20/2014Love the Indian food here. It is usually very cold in the restaurant so bring a sweater.
- FantasticcherribombDined on 6/14/2014The most memorable Indian meal we've had in a while.Special Features:
- Excellent Food/Location/AmbienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/4/2014Superb place for good food, great service, cordial staff and excellent ambience and decorSpecial Features:
- Good, but not great Indian foodrwguayDined on 5/31/2014The Tandoori mixed grill caused my wife to say 'you need to be in India for real tandoori'. We didn't finish all of the plate. I ordered Sangria, which is probably not the best choice at an Indian restaurant, and it tasted more like rum than red wine. Finally, my wife asked for rasgulla for dessert and they were out of it. I ordered the kulfi and it was rock hard and virtually impossible to cut through with a knife, let alone a spoon. It was a great evening since my Dad was watching our two young kids and we could relax and talk uninterrupted, but the dining experience left us a little unsatisfied.
- Great South Bay IndianOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/20/2014We have been here twice this month. This place is great. They have the traditional Indian menu that we are familiar with, but also do some more creative itens. Try the Gohbi Manchurian, for example. Also had the vegetable biriyani and the matter paneer is excellent as well. They seem to bring everything at the same time, so if you want a set of courses, it is best to stagger your ordering. Ambience is good, not great. Chairs are quite comfortable and the place is nicely decoriated and seems very clean.
- Excellent, as alwaysNotmyrealnameDined on 5/17/2014Not my first time at Amber, but the first time for my partner, who had lived in India for six months. He was very impressed and even though it's a bit of a trip for us, we'll be back. Excellent food and perfect service. The okra, chicken and lamb were delicious.Special Features:
- great restaurantJoeLDined on 5/17/2014Great food and great service. The butter chicken was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most spectacular Indian foodjforDined on 5/15/2014This place is amazing. I have been coming here every couple of months. It is by far the best Indian food in the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It has been betterOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/11/2014The food was not quite as good as usual this time. The naan & kulcha was burned on one side, too scorched to be good. The Mulligatawny soup was not tasty either. The curries sauces (lamb & chicken) were thin & runny, not thick as I prefer. The rice portion was not adequate for 3 people so we ran out before the end of the meal. This time it was a disappointment & I've been to this restaurant at least 15 times over the years.
- The most delicious Indian food everRUBINSFVIPDined on 5/11/2014This is our absolute favorite place for Indian food on the Peninsula and beyond. We try to go as often as we can. Whether you are there for a lunch buffet or ordering off the menu, the food is delicious, comes in a breathtaking variety and always hits the spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- musicloverDined on 5/10/2014Despite reservations, sat us down near the service bar. Complained. Initially told we could not be moved. We objected and they moved us. Very loud .. . conversations booming. Food good but heavy on the salt.Special Features:
- Exceptional Service, Good QualityMAJTimDined on 5/4/2014Tried this place out for the first time for lunch and had the buffet with my wife and toddler. Exceptional service and good variety to choose from. Very pricey though, at least $15 for an adult and no military discount even while I was in uniform. The atmosphere is nice, the inside looks much better than the outside. Place is hard to find and easy to drive past. I would still recommend if you are in the area craving Indian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spicy and deliciousFunEats1Dined on 4/27/2014We went to Amber India to celebrate a special birthday. We ordered Sea Bass Tikka, Chicken Tikka, Rogan Josh (lamb curry), Baingan Bharta (baked eggplant), and Cucumber Raita. Every dish was delicious, and we enjoyed the sea bass so much, that we placed a second order. The baked eggplant was quite spicy (in a good way), so the cucumber raita provided a lovely cooling effect on the palate. Of course, we also had naan and basmati rice to round it out. They brought a special dessert with a candle in it for our birthday person, which was a nice touch as well. We will definitely be visiting Amber India again!Special Features:
- Never disappointsjammin4foodVIPDined on 4/22/2014Amber India - MV is an absolute favorite in the whole Bay! Goal tonight was to try new dishes, rather than regular "go to's," and everything was outstanding and provided a great variety in flavors. If you're new to Indian, servers are also excellent at making recommendations based on your guidance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 326 reviews are from the Amber India - Mountain View reviews archive.
- Anniversary Dinnerreuter4foodDined on 4/19/2014We had taken our non Indian friends to Amber for their 40th wedding anniversary. They had wanted to experience authentic Indian food and I selected items from all regions of India for our meal. We all enjoyed the food thoroughly - it was delicious. The service was great too and we appreciated the attention we received to our needs. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/14/2014simply put, have never had an entrée here that wasn't flavorful, balanced, and perfectly cooked! very wide selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Butter chickenOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/12/2014We always order the butter chicken and are never disappointed. We also enjoy the vegetarian appetizer platter, tandoori chicken, garlic naan, and the spinach. All delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian Food on the PeninsulahalfdomeVIPDined on 4/10/2014We love Amber India. Go there often and are never disappointed. The service is very attentive and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Amber India!AmmaDined on 3/31/2014I absolutely love Amber India - the food is amazing and flavorful, with generous portions. Meals are best enjoyed family style, so you can sample various dishes. I am obsessed with the Butter Chicken and the Baingan Bharta. I come back often and always bring friends. Oh, and there is also an awesome buffet lunch on the weekends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome lunch buffetNeilDined on 3/29/2014Delicious all-you-can-eat lunch buffet with several meat options (chicken curry, butter chicken, fish curry, and tandoori chicken), along with a host of vegetarian dishes, salad and dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Although a little pricey,jdhunterDined on 3/19/2014Although a little pricey, great food and even better service!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amber IndiaIllianaDined on 3/8/2014Had a memorable dining experience at this restaurant last Saturday. Promptly seated and the wait staff were quite attentive and responsive to our requests. Highly recommend the Butter Chicken, Palak Paneer, Kerala Lamb Curry (this dish had none of the lamb gaminess!), Malwani Shrimp (loved the fact that they removed the tails from the prawns) and the Garlic Naan. Well worth the money we spent and will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Arrive early for lunchFoodyVIPDined on 3/7/2014Arrived at 1130 for lunch, and by noon the place was full with people waiting. Better make a reservation for sure! Food tastes fresh and good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not like the Amber I knowOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/18/2014Not representative of the Amber in SF or the one in the Mission. This one is more run of the mill. It tastes and seems like any old Indian restaurant in a strip mall.
- Good.PhilDined on 2/17/2014We had seen an excellent review on "Check Please!, Bay Area", and gave it a try. Turns out we went to the OTHER branch. We'll try the original, next time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great valentine's day dinner!foodloverDined on 2/14/2014Made reservation here for valentine's dinner to avoid the crowds and overpriced prix-fix menus at other places...Turned out to be great! We were promptly seated upon arrival, food was delicious, place was full, but not crazy crowded, and we had attentive service.. So, had an overall enjoyable night! Highly recommend !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our go-to Indian placePamelaDined on 2/14/2014The food is always very consistent and very good. I like this location better than the Santana Row location because there is easy parking and I think that the food is just a bit better here, although the other location has good food too. The only reason it doesn't get five stars is because I reserve that for really creative food. I wouldn't call this creative. It's pretty standard with the typical curries and tandoori dishes but high quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.