150 University Avenue
Palo Alto, CA 94301Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.amber-india.com/
- Phone: 6503299644
- Hours of Operation:
Monday through Friday 11:30am to 2:30pm
Saturday & Sunday 11:30am to 3:00pm
Sunday through Thursday 5:00pm to 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday 5:00pm to 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Vittal Shetty
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Let Amber organize and cater your next affair. We cater for all events from intimate meals to corporate parties. Customized menus and personalized packages are available. We will work with you to create the ideal menu for your affair. Your event may also be enhanced with specialty items and an array of colorful lines options.
- Private Party Facilities: Let Amber Dhara organize your next party. We cater for all events from intimate meals to corporate parties. Customized menus and personalized packages are available. We will work with you to create the ideal menu for your affair.
A word from Amber Dhara
Amber Dhara (meaning "sky" and "earth", respectively) is the brand new concept from Vijay Bist. Here, his long time dream of opening an Indian restaurant in downtown Palo Alto come true. The vision for this restaurant is to create seasonal, regional, sustainable, and unique menus paired with an extensive wine and cocktail list with friendly service. Chef Vittal researched and compiled a contemporary menu which has fresh look while using the traditional recipes; the age are followed to the core using layers of spices with nouvelle cooking techniques.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Amber Dhara - Best Restaurants in Palo Alto ›
Amber Dhara reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (13)good for groups (11)special occasion (9)neighborhood gem (8)romantic (7)great for outdoor dining (7)great for lunch (5)notable wine list (2)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Burma to go!NWroamer3617Dined on 10/10/2014My first experience with Burmese food was fabulous/ 7 of us shared 5 entrees and 7 appetizers/salads. Loved the garlic noodles and especially the salad made with Tea Leaves! Unbelieably interesting flavors. Plus Rangoon lemongrass Chicken, spicy, fresh and memorable. don't forget moist coconut rice too. We loved getting it all to go - well packaged, on time, and perfect at home. p.s. didn't want to enter ambiance as never entered the rest., but review format didn't let me skip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SujoyDined on 10/10/2014Had gone based on earlier reviews. Food was not really impressive, although they were bang on on service and the ambience. Very common food, if you have really eaten in India before
- Will definitely returnChuckVIPDined on 10/7/2014There were so many things on the menu that sounded good that we will have to go back several times. Don't miss the fried spinach appetizer. We had two items from the tandoori menu (rack of lamb and sea bass) and both were delicious. The setting is very nice. The location is convenient, right across the street from a city parking garage. Although large groups can raise the decibel level, it is basically a pretty quiet place where you can easily have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Appetizers were the best part.OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/20/2014The entrees were not as good as on our prior two visits but at least the appetizers were still good. The spinach is unlike any you've ever had before!
- Wonderful!DNSHAHDined on 9/18/2014I have made reservation for office lunch and we loved the way they welcomed us , took care of our privacy and also had wonderful lunch. Would apprevciate more if they add more options in non alcoholic cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indian food with stylekevinparkerusaVIPDined on 9/12/2014My wife and I have Indian food a couple of times a month. We found Amber Dhara on OpenTable and thought we'd give it a try. What a wonderful surprise! The food was breathtaking in its flavors and engaging in its presentation. Portions were ample and the quality excellent. My wife's fried spinach appetizer was incredible and my "gunpowder" scallops the most tasty shellfish I have ever had. We both chose lamb for our entree. My wife had the rack of lamb which was infused with delicate spices and cooked to perfection. I had the spicy lamb curry which was up there in spicy-ness matching my tolerance exactly. The wine list is limited but adequate. The deserts were interesting but the not the chef's strength. The chai tea perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for LunchMaitreeVIPDined on 9/11/2014We were in Palo Alto and looking for a place for a late lunch. My companion had the paneer wrap which was excellent! The filling was flavorful and the ingredients were fresh I had the non-vegetarian thali which had many of the selections. The tandoori chicken was fantastic.The paneer was the same as my companion's wrap filling which was also great. The nan was fresh and piping hot. All the other items were quite average. They did not taste fresh and the flavor was most mediocre. The service was superb so we will probably be back to try some of the other items on the menu.Special Features:
- International NightamberdharaDined on 8/20/2014Took my German and British friends to this Indian restaurant, was delicious and lovely. Kind attentive wait staff, excellent food, and the dry buttery Gewurtstraminer was perfect. Look forward to next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High quality creative Indian diningEatagogoVIPDined on 7/30/2014When ever I come to Palo Alto I try to visit Amber Dhara. The dishes range from the familiar to the very unfamiliar but all are superb. On this occasion we ate the cauliflower and shrimp appetizers - both outstanding. For entrees we ate butter chicken, an okra dish and an eggplant dish - excellent. All the food is also quite "hot" spicy, so you need to like that. The service was efficient and charming. We ate outside as it was such a lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food, Great ServiceShannahQuiltsVIPDined on 7/18/2014We had a great time at Amber Dhara. The fried spinach appetizer was amazing. The butter chicken and the tandoori chicken were also really good. Our waiter was really nice, and very prompt. The decor is very modern Indian-inspired, yet comfortable. We also liked that the dining area was quiet and roomy. I'd definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/11/2014The food was good but did not make up for the bad service. We waited 15 mins until the waiter came to take our order. It took a while for us to be served the appetizer and even longer for the entree. The waiter brought food that we did not order to our table TWICE. After the meal, it took so long to be brought the check that we went to the front of the restaurant to pay. They did not apologize for the wait and didn't bother to find out if we enjoyed our meal or not. In short, I won 't be going back there.
- 123meVIPDined on 7/4/2014delicious food, superb service- attentive but unobtrusiveOtherwise would recommend above any other indian restaurant in area.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 243 reviews are from the Amber Dhara reviews archive.
- sophiaDined on 6/27/2014Delicious food and very nice service. The starters were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious DinnerDelishVIPDined on 6/20/2014Our party of 3 were all hungry for Amber Dhara. We were very satisfied with all of our selections.Special Features:
- Delicious & unique Indian food fix!CaseyVIPDined on 6/17/2014Naan with manchego cheese and peppers?! Yum! Butter chicken was perfectly spiced, server so attentive and made good recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SashalawDined on 6/11/2014I've been to Amber Dhara before and had better service and food. The prices have gone up and the service down. Our server took 30 minutes to bring us menus, and another 10 mins to get our drinks. I had to go track him down after 45 minutes so we could order. Once I did, the service picked up. Food starting to taste like all of the other Indian restaurants - a bit greasy and creamy and not so refined. Time to take a break from eating thereSpecial Features:
- DisappointedLuvMtnViewAmberIndiaDined on 6/10/2014I love Amber India in Mountain View so I was excited to try Amber Dhara. I wanted an excellent lunch for me an my colleagues who are fellow foodies. Curries were okay, naan was good but then when we stayed for dessert there was no coffee to be had and I got a pannacotta that was like a bowl of hard rubber and there was an ice cream that was so intense that I felt like I had taken a swig of perfume and could not get rid of the taste in my mouth. Servers did not have a good understanding of the menu or daily specials and were not around much even though there were few diners. Wish I could report a better experience but afterwards we all felt that we were unlikely to return.
- Elegant Indian FareamheyDined on 6/8/2014The service was great. Had a good cocktail - interesting range of drinks. Food was creative. Very tender lamb. Local vegetables had tofu as the main ingredient - a little different from what one normally thinks of as local vegetables. Really enjoyed the dinner - nice quiet table - more spacious than Mountain View's Amber India - original restaurant in the group - and the food was a bit better. Kulfi was really great - it said with figs - but a few more figs would have improved the dish - it had sticky popcorn with it too - elegantly arranged.Special Features:
- Good...not superbJillVIPDined on 5/27/2014What is true about Amber Dhara is the service is attentive and sincere. Would that the food knock your socks off in the way the maitre d' does. The food is fine - balanced and well presented, but of the many different dishes we shared, only the black dahl stood out as uniquely well seasoned. The rack of lamb was under-salted and the raita had almost no flavor at all. This is our third trip...maybe our last.Special Features:
- Delicious!AmyRDined on 5/11/2014We had just seen the movie The Lunchbox... a film that takes place in Bombay and is all about food as the way to the heart. We were craving Indian food at the end of the film and headed straight to Amber Dhara. It was a fantastic meal and satisfied our craving!Special Features:
- Delicious, accommodatingjgssDined on 5/8/2014I had a reservation for a post-wedding family dinner at 8:15. The ceremony ran late. I had a missed call from the restaurant checking on when we thought we'd arrive. I called at 9pm and said we couldn't be there until 9:20pm. Even though they close at 9:30pm, they stayed open late, served us a delicious spread of vegetarian appetizers and entrees, and didn't make us feel rushed to leave. All around a perfect special occasion restaurant. Very accommodating and welcoming. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Nice SurprisePamelaJVIPDined on 5/5/2014We came here because it was convenient, but were surprised to find that the food was really good. The tandoori bass was outstanding, melt in your mouth. The flash fried spinach appetizer was unexpectedly good with an unusual combination of flavors. The service was friendly. We'll definitely return.
- We love Amber DharagreendiDined on 5/2/2014We've had four dinners there and each one has been delicious. The wait staff were helpful in suggesting dishes. WE've loved everything we've had there. We were very sad when Junoon closed but we are not sad now. We like Amber Dhara just as much.Special Features:
- FatFreddy saysFatFreddyDined on 4/2/2014One of the best Indian restaurants, I've ever been. Very delicious. Each dish tasted differently. Not so hot, but very harmonic combination of spices. Very good quality (lamb meat and butter chicken were very tender). Absolutely recommendable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK but not great, too expensive.eatinpupDined on 3/15/2014Amber Dhara has a modern interior, and the service was good. The food however was very overpriced for what you get. The best dish was the Samosas. They were small, tasty and not at all greasy. The next best dish was the Baluchi Murg Tikka, which was flavorful and tender. I think there were 4 or 5 pieces, each about 3 inches in diameter. The Lal Maas lamb curry had very little flavor, although the quality of the lamb was good. The plain Naan was OK but not great. If the the prices for the food were half what they are, I might consider returning, but for the price they charge, I won't be back. There are better Indian restaurants at more reasonable prices in the area.
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/1/2014I went here for lunch with a girlfriend. It was recommended by another friend of mine. I found the service to be good although there was a language barrier which made it difficult when trying to ask questions about the menu. Server was extremely warm and friendly though. I found the food to be ok. The texture of the chicken tikka was sinewy. Would have preferred if it were chicken breast as opposed to thigh as I have had in other restaurants.Special Features:
- Friday night dining...ForesightVIPDined on 2/21/2014Out table was not ready in time and we had to wait 25 minutes past our open table time to be seated. Once seated, the table was right at the kitchen entrance so we had to face the kitchen and constant waiters traffic... The food took a long time to get to table... Great food but service needs a serious overhaul!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- V day reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014Well I really like the Mountain View Amber, but this place was not great. Food was OK but nothing special and the service was not good. They were very busy and it was a prefix menu so maybe that was throwing the staff off, but they should expect to be busy on Valentines Day and a prefix menu should make it easier for them. Our waiter brought us the wrong food at first, and service was rather slow. The real problem that I had with this was that the "experience" (meaning food and service) was nowhere near the quality that I would have expected given what it cost. Overall this place is not bad, but certainly not worth the money.
- great food with vegan optionsMadelineJDined on 2/8/2014We were having dinner with friends who are vegan and we wanted to find somewhere with great food overall and more than 2 vegan options on the menu. Amber Dhara was great and everything we ordered was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New gem in Amber tiaraJohnDined on 1/29/2014This newest member of the Amber group is superb, offering an innovative take on tradtional Indian dishes. Their chicken biryani is cooked in the traditional "dum" manner (steaming over coals) in a ceramic dish that is sealed with dough. It comes to the table looking like a deep dish pie, which is opened tableside to provide a steaming, frangrant biryani that is the best we've ever experienced in our decades of eating Indian food around the world. The wait staff is very attentive and thorough. The manager, Navin, treats customers like they are guests in his own home, and constantly circulates the restaurant to make sure his guests are getting everything they need. Thank you Amber Dhara for providing our group an outstanding evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amber Dharadiner13VIPDined on 1/25/2014The food at Amber Dhara is delicious, better than Dosa, our neighborhood Indian restaurant. They are wonderfully accommodating and friendly, and it is with pleasure that I recommend it. Service is good, the waiter we had was really sweet. We saw grouopos there having a wonderful time, a place where people would naturally gather and enjoy the food. Pleasant decor.Special Features:
- Food was the best I've hadmacmanDined on 1/19/2014Food was the best I've had in the Bay Area.. good service - quick, helpful, flexible and attentive.Special Features:
- Good, but expected moresamplerVIPDined on 1/19/2014The environment and service were fine. The quinoa persimmon salad was the best of the three starters, with the samosas and papdi chat good but not memorable. The Bengali fish curry was nicely flavored but the portion was small - maybe 4 or 5 medium sized bites of fish in a large bowl that made the small portion more obvious. My wife enjoyed her badami baingan but the aloo gobi, one of the few vegan options available, may have caused our son to leave the table for quite a while before our dinner ended. I would not recommend the desserts here, at least not based on the 5 spice chocolate cake (very dense and without a strong chocolate flavor) or homemade ice-cream we tried. Overall, good but not good enough to plan a return trip.
- Don't get the rasmalaiawesomepantsDined on 1/13/2014THe dinner entrees were really delicious, unfortunately they were only luke warm. It was sad to end the meal with the rasmalai they served, we didn't eat it. It was pretty terrible and that's my favorite indian dessert which I've had many times. There's tasted really old.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A jeweldanteDined on 1/9/2014This is a superb restaurant, with excellent service, knowledgable chefs, and high-quality Indian food. The staff is helpful, the dishes are perfectly spiced, and they don't jam the restaurant with tables, so that it quiet enough to have real conversations. A rarity in Palo Alto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food - good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/4/2014good food from a limited menu - tag team service was OK - would return
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/3/2013Wonderful food, though a bit pricey. We had the lamb curry, butter chicken, and scallop appetizer, along with two cocktails. Everything was absolutely delicious! If it were more affordable, I would come here all the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Place for Food+Ambience+ServiceGNOSVDined on 12/3/2013Ok, so if you are looking for a place to go or take your out-of-town-friends that has great food, good ambience, and great service, then do not look beyond Amber Dhara in Palo Alto. I have always found the food non-traditional and there is always something new to try making it worth coming back again and again. But then the service is always outstanding. Combine it with good wine selection, and you are all set for the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent sauces, wonderfulSymphonyTicketsVIPDined on 11/30/2013Excellent sauces, wonderful spices, lovely Indian restaurant in downtown Palo Alto.Special Features:
- A+OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/26/2013We took my husband here for his birthday dinner. Everyone loved the butter chicken! Excellent service, delicious food. Thanks Amber Dhara!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.