13 North Cass Avenue
Westmont, IL 60559Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ambercafe.net/
- Phone: (630) 515-8080
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday through Thursday 4:30pm - 10pm
Friday and Saturday 4:30pm - 11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Andrew Sikkelerus
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Private Events or Off-Site Catering available
- Private Party Facilities: The perfect place for showers, corporate meetings and cocktail parties, the space offers both private and semi private spaces in a variety of areas depending on the needs of your group.
A word from Amber Café
As Westmont’s hidden treasure since 2004, Amber Cafe offers a variety of inventive American dishes that are presented with the highest quality service. Honored with the Doings Readers Choice awards for favorite “Outdoor Café” and most “Romantic Restaurant”. Conveniently located steps from the Metra station, diners experience urban fine dining in a warm, relaxed village setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Amber Café - Best Restaurants in Westmont ›
Amber Café reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (40)fit for foodies (30)special occasion (26)romantic (23)great for outdoor dining (22)notable wine list (10)good for groups (8)hot spot (5)scenic view (2)great for lunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Decent Food, Nice People, Attempted ServiceChicagoDined on 11/14/2014Overall, we had an OK experience at a fairly high price for it. A series of glitches sort of added up, in spite of everyone's good efforts to make it right. First, when we arrived ten minutes early for our reservation, the hostess told us we'd have to wait in the bar about 20 minutes, which turned out to be more like 35 minutes. In the bar, they treated us like we were going to have dinner there, until we told them we were waiting, and then they hardly paid any attention to us -- it appeared they were unclear who among the waiters was to serve us. When finally seated, it was in the bar area, at a table near a cold window, with a noise level slightly loud. The soup was good, and the whitefish was good in a slightly-buttery/heavy way. Jumbo shrimp Arrabiatta was OK. The Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc was served at a great temperature -- and attentively. All the service people were helpful, friendly and unpretentious, which helped. We may give them another try.
- Good ExperienceMimms73Dined on 11/8/2014Interesting, unique menu. Restaurant had modern feel but inviting. Food was good, some things great (meatballs), some not enough flavor (pork) and some too much flavor (short rib - too much liquid smoke taste). Server Assistants were all over it, Server good at first, difficult in the end getting the bill dropped and picked up. Good, not great overall - enough to possibly return though.Special Features:
- Overall good!sweetmeet112Dined on 11/1/2014My fiance and myself celebrated my bday here, and we had a great experience . The food was creative and good, but we overall prefer Topaz to Amber cafe. I ordered the gnocchi which were like pillows and delish!! My fiance was not a fan of his braised short ribs which turned out a bit dry. The clam chowder and crab cakes were delicious, and for dessert we had the lava cake which we wished was a bit warmer! Overall it was good, but next time I visit this restaurant group I will be back at Topaz! Although we did learn they have a pizzeria which we are very excited to try soon! Would recc anyone to try this place!Special Features:
- AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014We choose this for our 15th anniversary. It is a very nice local restaurant. Great choice of foods. Fantastic service. Took special care to note out anniversary. Recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice!CollegeKidDined on 10/3/2014What a nice find. This was our first visit, and we had a very fine meal there. Noise level was within the acceptable range, the service was excellent, and the food was well prepared, with good attention to flavor. My only criticism was that the grilled calamari was a little bit chewy, but given the quality of the rest of the meal, that could've been an aberration. I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick dinner before showhammerhdDined on 9/27/2014My wife and I decided to grab dinner in the burbs before we went to the city to see a play. Reservations were a cinch. If we had more time we could have lingered and enjoyed the atmosphere more, but we were in a hurry, so we had to ask our waiter to move things along. The staff made me feel like I was eating dinner in Europe where they let you eat, enjoy, and linger. Next time we'll do that. Food was good. Enough foodiness for my wife and enough substance for me. I can't see anything on the menu being a 'wrong choice'. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Dinner on a whim...MattGDined on 9/19/2014Fiancee and I headed out for dinner recently, and she offered up this spot based on a recommendation from a patient of hers. Lovely little spot in downtown Westmont, has a nice outdoor patio area, good bar, and a nice ambiance. Our waiter was great, we had a good time hanging out with him for a bit and taking in his banter. We ordered the scallops, pork tenderloin, white fish, potato soup, and brussel sprouts. Everything was wonderful, would definitely come back again.Special Features:
- Great celebrationMarymacDined on 9/17/2014We were celebrating my birthday and had never been there before. We were pleasantly surprised with our experience. Intimate, low noise level room with great service & fabulous food. Our waiter Chris was personable, efficient & knowledgeable. We started with crab cake & scallop appetizer which was wonderful. We had the veal chop and rack of lamb which was the best I had ever had. Overall it was a fabulous evening, will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinner as alwaysMelissaNDined on 9/5/2014Amber is one of our favorite western suburban restaurants. The food, wine and service is always outstanding. Delicious short rib risotto.Special Features:
- Best Filets aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014We enjoy everything about this restaurant, and are repeat customers. We chose it Saturday night because it was a beautiful summer evening and we wanted to eat outdoors. Obviously others felt similarly as we were surprised when we arrived that the indoor part was not filled at 8 PM, but our table was the only one available out of doors. They've decorated the area nicely and the ambiance is great -- except when a freight train passes through town. Definitely will be returning. This time we chose the stuffed peppers as appetizer and yum, it was great. Overall an enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014Had the scallops. The meal was amazing. Service was great. We sat outside and it was beautiful. Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 441 reviews are from the Amber Café reviews archive.
- Not "American".OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/25/2014This place describes it's food as "Contemporary American", but I don't think I saw a single menu item that wasn't classic Italian. It's disappointing, because the western suburbs are littered with Italian restaurants. I was hopeful this would be a good option for days when I wanted something else. Unfortunately it is not. Yet another Italian restaurant. What's a guy to do to find a good contemporary American joint? Very lovely courtyard, great outdoor seating, and the service was good. But, a note to the waiters. When a guest asks for recommendations, PLEASE do not just list off the most expensive options in each category. It's tacky.
- Our favorite placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/23/2014We have been to Amber numerous times since its opening 10 years ago, and the warm and welcoming ambience and the menu with tried and true items and new items only gets better and better. The food is always fresh and fabulous and the servers and owner very friendly and accommodating. Amber and its "sister restaurant", Topaz, in Burr Ridge are our number one places to go to enjoy the company of friends and family and some of the best fare in the western suburbs.Special Features:
- caeser saladOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014Everything we had was excellent. Except..... A Chef should never ever put " pizza cheese" on an otherwise excellent caeser salad. Pizza Hut yes. Nice restaurant absolutely never. I feel embarrassed for him. The service was great. Overall I would come back again and recommend everything except. .....you guessed it the caeser salad.I would recommend this to a friend.
- NewtoStLouisVIPDined on 7/8/2014Last minute dinner plans mid week with my sister. Great evening. I had the Tilapia special - best fish I have had in a long time. Fresh, large portion, seasoned perfectly. Wines are affordable, possibly could be more extensive but decent variety. Definitely will be back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- 86 the churizo!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/5/2014Food was good but overpriced for value. Scallops with churizo sausage was a terrible combination. 86 the sausage and it would have been a god dinner entre.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014One of the best meals we've enjoyed in a long time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diner1Dined on 6/27/2014Excellent food and very comfortable atmosphere. Service was courteous and timely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/25/2014Great menu. Appropriate seasonal changes to keep things interesting. Terrific price/value.Special Features:
- Always reliable, always top-notchSusanBKVIPDined on 6/19/2014I've been to Amber many times and it's always a sure bet for a great dinner and fun night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary delight!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/17/2014My wife and I celebrated our 31st wedding anniversary at Amber. It was a quiet weekday night. We were served with just the right amount of love and attention, including a delightful dessert. Filet and pork tenderloin were just right. May the honeymoon never end!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely patio, great food & servicemamatubsVIPDined on 6/14/2014We had dinner on the patio on a lovely summer evening. The food was great. I really liked the spiced vanilla poached pear salad and the veal tenderloins were exceptional. The service was very Excellent. So glad to have found this place and intend to return often.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014The food was very good and reasonably priced. Service staff was very warm, friendly and attentive. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Great specialslisaleeVIPDined on 6/13/2014Had the daily special which was a risotto with short rib, Baby Bella mushroom and spinach topped with reggiano Parmesan and truffle oil, delicious. Portion size was enought for me to be satisfied and gave a bit for lunch the next day or later that evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner reviewHoosierDinerVIPDined on 6/12/2014My wife and I chose our first visit to Amber Café to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The service was very attentive, the wine list superb, crab cakes and Caesar salad excellent. My veal tenderloin was indeed tender, flavorful and well-presented with potato and vegetable combinations.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amber still makes the cut!attorneyfoodieDined on 5/31/2014Halibut special was fantastic. White fish was also good. Wait staff is second to none. If you like attention and a knowledgeable wait staff, Amber should be on your rotation. Sat outdoors on a good weather night--since near the train tracks our conversation is interrupted at times--otherwise pleasant.. For those in western suburbs, you do not need to fight the traffic downtown to have a good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection !blkwht1VIPDined on 5/31/2014Had one of the BEST meals we've ever had here ! We dined on the fish special & pork tenderloin - both were superb ! Our dining experience was enhanced further by Lindsey our favorite server who is a true gem - friendly, knowledgeable, and a true pro.Special Features:
- Great food, service & ambiance poorAmberDined on 5/24/2014I went with a group of 5 people. When we walked in the decor and ambiance looked so cute. After we checked in the hostess took us to the back of the restaurant that wasn't as nice. There was minimal decor, exposed wires and wholes in the wall. The lights above our head would keep flickering which was beyond annoying. Really wish we were able to stay in front. They sat us next to the patio door which was also a distraction. Our server started off as attentive, but as time progressed she lost interest and was ready to go home. She also was on her cellphone out in the dining room for an extended period of time. On the plus side the food and presentation was wonderful! I might return again but Would definitely need to sit in front.Special Features:
- consistently greatfrenchyVIPDined on 5/24/2014We went to Amber for dinner the other night. It's probably the 10th time we have been there and the service is amazingly good all the time. We sat in the outside seating which is always nice now that the weather is warm The staff was friendly and helpful as always. The also do a great job with our 9 year old daughter. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great evening outLizofMtPDined on 5/24/2014Entire experience was really great! Food was excellent! Server made wonderful recommendations. Scallops, whitefish and breadpudding were delicious! Thank you!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2014We always enjoy Amber Cafe because it is upscale without being pretentious or stuffy. Although it is fit for a special occasion (and the Mother's Day brunch food was really outstanding), we don't limit our visits to "special" times. The bar area in the back and the outside dining make it an easy environment any day of the week!Special Features:
- Great neighborhood spotViolaladyVIPDined on 5/11/2014We want for Mothers Day and were a little surprised to find a buffet brunch only. However, food was very good though choices were limited. Everything freshly prepared and buffet was refilled constantly during our visit. If you sit in the back make sure you know there are several stairs leading to the space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014Beautiful presentation. Rack of lamb done to perfection. Veal was outstanding. Garden dining added to the pleasure. Service was unhurried and paced well. This restaurant serves well for quiet dining for two or for small groups. A nice local find for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great.jayjay13Dined on 5/10/2014Nice place, quality fresh foods and good wine list. Whitefish was excellent.Special Features:
- Always GreatRhoneRangerDined on 5/1/2014I and three friends had a casual dinner at Amber Café. The food was great as it always is. Our server was new and struggled a bit. We always enjoy dining in the back of the restaurant at a table or at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another GemLisaLaDiDaVIPDined on 4/30/2014Go there often. Food and service are always exceptional. We usually only get fish at fish restaurants, but theirs is consistently excellent. At a minimum, get the scallop appetizer. Remember, save room for Gelato!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/29/2014My wife and I enjoyed a special night out for our 25th Anniversary. My task was to find a romantic restaurant for a special occasion that wasn't a chain, that we had never been to. Amber scored on all fronts. It was a Tuesday night, so the dining room was nearly deserted. The wait staff did a wonderful job. The service was always present without being overbearing, the waiter was informative and helpful. All in all, it will be one of our "go-to" places for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Special OccasionDeenDined on 4/19/2014I made open table reservations for our anniversary. The food and service were great. At the end of the meal the waiter brought out a desert and limoncello to celebrate our anniversary. Nice touch. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Add Another Spot to the Go-To ListOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014I went with my wife and daughter to celebrate their birthdays. We wanted to see if it would be worth adding to our list of Go To restaurants ... and we were pleasantly surprised. The staff treated us like old friends. The dining room was crowded (and noisy) so we were seated in their covered outdoor area, which was quieter and very pleasant. The server was friendly and knowledgeable and service was quick enough. Our entrees included the daily risotto, bacon wrapped meatloaf and blue cheese crusted filet - all of which were very fresh and well prepared. The topper was the desserts brought for my wife and daughter -very fresh carrot cake and brownie al a mode - free of charge for their birthday. We'll be back now that it's on our Go To list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodFuzzballVIPDined on 4/11/2014The poached pear salad was fabulous. Gnocchi in broth was very good. Everything we had was good. The service was a little slow. I think the restaurant was understaffed and wait staff was taking care of the outside more than the inside.Special Features: