Amaya the Indian room
1701 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, ON M4G 2C1Neighborhood:
Midtown / Uptown
IndianPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Amaya the Indian room
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.amayarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4163223270
- Hours of Operation:
Evenings from 5PM, Seven Nights a Week.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Hemant Bhagwani
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Amaya caters functions of all sizes and budgets.
- Private Party Facilities: Amaya is available for corporate and private events. The restaurant can seat up to 48 guests or be used as a reception space accommodating up to 75 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Noni Verma 4163223270
A word from Amaya the Indian room
Joanne Kates (The Globe and Mail Restaurant Critic) writes…”Amaya, which opened recently in the (renovated) premises of the former Jov, is heaven-sent. The combination of silken service and excellent ingredients freshly cooked, with sensitive spicing, is seductive in the way that only the food of the subcontinent can be - rich, assertive, complex, exotic.” Just as the food avoids clichés, so does the setting. The 40-seat dining room is accented with subtle hints of India through stunning photography creating an inviting atmosphere that is casual and friendly yet elegant and sophisticated.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Amaya the Indian room reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (40)neighborhood gem (40)special occasion (34)romantic (17)good for groups (15)great for lunch (11)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (5)hot spot (5)notable wine list (4)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Always good!KphjrVIPDined on 8/30/2014We have been many times and always enjoy and the food choices constantly change so new dishes to try. Especially like the tasting menus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always pleasedQualityconsciousDined on 8/23/2014We have been several times for dinner and have always been pleased. The butter chicken is a fail-safe winner but other items like asparagus and the roast cod are excellent too. The ambience is elegant, peaceful and quiet so despite being family friendly would do well for a romantic or business meal as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmayaRCT953Dined on 8/16/2014Our second visit to Amaya in the past six weeks, this time taking a friend from out of town with us, and we again chose to go with the Chef's 6 Course Tasting Menu. The food is excellent and plentiful and the service was top notch. It was packed this night, with a line up to get in after about 8:00pm so the noise level from several of the tables was a little on the high side, but it did not interfere with our enjoyment of our meal. Recommend Amaya greatly if you enjoy Indian cuisine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!MelodyDined on 8/10/2014Fabulous, creative, well presented food....really good service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- itsmeDined on 8/2/2014This is the second time we had dinner at Amaya. Food was great again. Service was also very good. Had Butter Chicken leftovers for dinner the next night . :-) Still tastes great warmed up. Next time I'll be more adventurous. Try a Kingfisher beer- goes down great with dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Superb food (we had the taster selection), great variety, excellent service and ambiance. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great curryCurry4uDined on 7/31/2014My friend and I and our 2 daughters enjoyed the food at Amaya - the girls had 2 different chicken curries and we had a tasting menu choosing 4 dishes - we loved the cauliflower starter and the savoury poori and their naan breads. We enjoyed all their dishes and particularly lamb chops, dal and their version of mango chutney. Plenty food to share. We would love to go back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dining choiceDisappointingVIPDined on 7/30/2014Amaya-The Indian Room on Bayview Ave, Toronto said they would NOT honoured any Groupon voucher booking via Open Table and they sent me a cancellation email themselves the next morning. I told them this was not the case in my experience between Groupon voucher and Open Table reservation. The staff reversed the situation and gave me the Open Table 100 points back to my account re the confirmation of this Open Table feedback. In my opinion, this misunderstanding should never taken place at all.Special Features:
- SummerliciousLiciousFanDined on 7/20/2014Amaya's never disappoints, whether for lunch or dinner! The food is always very good, with each dish having very distinct/individual flavours - love the surprise bursts of flavours as one bites into fragrant seeds/spices. The Kale & Paneer Salad & the Halibut were exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday Evening DinnerShelley49Dined on 7/19/2014We went there for dinner with our two teenage girls. We were celebrating our 23rd wedding anniversary. All four of us ordered from their Summerlicious menu. We chose to try different appetizers and three different dinner entrees. The food was delicious. The flavours were refined, and very tasty and there was very little/no fat (which we have found in other Indian restaurants). The wait staff were attentive and pleasant. They didn't rush the dinner either which enabled us to really enjoy the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service2dineor2cookDined on 7/19/2014We went here for an early dinner (5PM). The restaurant quickly filled up. The ambience set the mood for a warm conversation. Service was outstanding which is usually a bonus for us. Our server was attentive, gentle and professional. Food was good, I wish we could have chosen the level of heat for our mains- they were a little on the sweet side for me but the lamb curry was definitely really good. (Our mains: Lamb shank korma and Halibut coconut curry). We were presented with a small app by the chef (so was everyone in the room), which was nice and welcoming. Drinks were amazing (Mango lassi, Nimbu pani) Price seemed fair. There is lots to try so we will likely return.Special Features:
- No Complaints!SmacDined on 7/18/2014We did not have the best table, but the food definitely made up for it! Everything we tried on the summerlicious menu was amazing! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Impecable service, and great foodStickmomchauffeurDined on 7/16/2014We came to Amaya and chose it from Summerlicious. I had mentioned to a couple of friends I was going there and all of them said in advance - you will love it, and they were right. All of the wait staff, were sincerely dedicated to help us out whether it was recommending wine or helping us choose the right items so that we felt we could share and get some variety at the same time. Everything was wonderful. Would definitely recommend this to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love this place!!salachanDined on 7/11/2014Great food and excellent service! Never disappointed with the dishes I try. Waiters are very helpful in explaining their dishes and are always around when you need something. My girlfriends and I love Indian food, this is one of our top picks when we're feeling hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time to AmayaOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/11/2014This was our first time to Amaya and we loved the food and its presentation. The location and atmosphere are certainly not high end but the food was very, very good. We will be returning. If you like Indian food and want something significantly better than your local curry restaurant, then try Amaya.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bridget's ReviewIrishfoodiereview1Dined on 7/11/2014I was very pleased with my experience at this restaurant. I am a big fan of Indian food and this place did not disappoint. The food was amazing,full of flavor and served beautifully. The service was outstanding and the place was really pretty and peaceful. I would have no problem recommending this place to any of my friend's and i will most certainly be returning myself.Special Features:
- A foodie's delightInfinityDined on 7/9/2014We had the chickpea chaat (magnificent!) and chicken tikka (superb - not overcooked like most restaurants), followed by butter chicken & lamb curry (both perfectly prepared, the lamb having been simmered long enough to be completely tender, both sauces superb). For those unfamiliar with the Amaya restaurants, they do not put a lot of heat in their dishes, which makes the delicate spicing they employ really stand out. The dessert of gulab jamun was delicate and not heavy/lumpen, and the syrup delicately spiced. Friendly waiter.Special Features:
- Amaya does it SamhainRebeccaDined on 7/8/2014As a party of six we had a great selection of good. The curry prawns were wonderful just order two dishes to sample the prawns. Great tasting cauliflower and eggplant . Wonderful sauces great dinner .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/8/2014A Summerlicious $35 dinner comprised a big appetizer, a very large, very good main, and a good dessert. Our favourite Indian rest did not disappoint.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014Summerlicious meal was excellent. I will come back to Amaya the Indian room soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amaya reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/7/2014I found that the portion sizes of the appetizers and desserts in the prix fix (summerlicious) were a quite stingy. The dessert I chose was just one plain old honey ball. The sauces for the chicken and lamb were very mild and not what I would expect in an Indian restaurant.
- Consistently GoodKphjrVIPDined on 7/5/2014One of our favourites in the City for Indian fare. Chef(s) take traditional Indian recipes and change to be unique to all. Food is spiced according preference. This time we were here for Summerlicious and it was delicious.Special Features:
- Another fine mealOntariofoodieDined on 6/21/2014Amaya sets the standard for Indian cuisine in Toronto. Food is great, service is great which leads to a fantastic experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW what a great experience.GreatfoodDined on 6/20/2014We were greeted and seated promptly. This was my first visit and we asked our server. What was good and he recommended the 4 or 6 course chefs choice sampling. We went with the 6 course which include appetizers and entrees. What a great and enjoyable delicious food experience. Haven't stopped talking about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality Indian MealtaichibakokoDined on 6/14/2014Consistently interesting and good value Amaya's "fancier" restaurant serves up good variations on the normal Indian fare one finds elsewhere. 1 observation - tables could be large to accommodate all the dishes used in a full meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceFoodieDined on 6/12/2014Beautiful ambience, great food, excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/12/2014Love how Amaya keeps changing the menu, to keep with the seasons and occasions. There is simply no place like it. Our server (forgot his name) had two other noisy groups (ours admittedly was), but he remained cheerful and friendly, and got all the orders right. Service was prompt. Food superlative!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and ambienceJudeDined on 6/9/2014We had dinner at Amaya the Indian Room the other night and couldn't be happier that we chose it. Everything was great - the service was very attentive, the food was outstanding, and the room itself is beautifully decorated and comfortable. Our guests from Vancouver were very impressed, as well. We would definitely recommend it to anyone who likes Indian food and would like a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our go to restaurantOntariofoodieDined on 6/5/2014Nothing beats Amaya for good fresh food! We drive into Toronto for this and we are an hour away!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lucky in LeasideOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014We are so lucky to have Amaya in Leaside. Beautiful decor, excellent service and delicious, interesting food presented with care and creativity. Well done!Special Features:
- FramacaDined on 5/31/2014Our guest rated it the best Indian food she'd ever tasted. Her husband was from India and she has visited that country several times. We had the special lobster-based menu. We didn't agree about all dishes, but we all rated two or more of them as outstanding. We found the restaurant very noisy but we were there on a Saturday night. Next time we'll go mid-week.Special Features:
- Amaya the Indian RoomLavidaluchachaDined on 5/16/2014We have always enjoyed Amaya the Indian Room. We splurged on the 4 course tasting menu which the chef chooses. You can specify likes. The amount of food is more than abundant and we were able to take some home. It is an inspired menu, not the norm for Indian and yet has the Indian flavour palate. Decor is modern and the staff very courteous and gracious.Special Features:
- Great Experience!OntariofoodieDined on 5/11/2014Food and staff are great, if you are looking for an Indian Food experience that won't disappoint this is it. The good is great and the menu is kept fresh!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was greatStevieBDined on 5/9/2014Went here for dinner and found the service to be exceptional. I had issues with the ambiance though. The lighting was way to dim that it was difficult to read the menu and it was too hot inside. Food was pretty good too however, I don't eat much Indian food so I don't have anything to compare it to.Special Features:
- The following 1021 reviews are from the Amaya the Indian room reviews archive.
- Nice place to visit and return toFoodLoverDined on 5/2/2014Very nice evening and an interesting selection of offerings during the lobsterlicious period. Some wines were not available and favorite dessert wasn't available. Service was attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian foodcerpentDined on 4/26/2014This was the first time I have eaten there and there is no doubt I will be back! Delicious food! Very authentic.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/17/2014overall things were good, only problem was that the meat was a little spicey and it was medium, I'm usually okay with medium, next time I would ask for mildSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster Festival!!!happydinerVIPDined on 4/17/2014Loved the new menu, this is my favourite Indian Restaurant in Toronto. Love the vibe and the service. The food is excellent - a good mix of traditional and modern Indian Cuisine. I had the lobster menu - great value for money, beautiful presentation, authentic Indian flavour and to finsih the dessert with kulfi made on the table was excellent with liquid nitrogen.Special Features:
- second time at Indian restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/13/2014second time at Indian restaurants never seems to work for us. The first time we went the food was terrific. it was so good that I wanted my daughter and son in law to experience it too, what a disappointment!!! will not go back a third time
- Disappointmentfoodie101Dined on 3/30/2014Went to Amaya with high expectations. Extremely disappointed with the food quality, and service. Having travelled extensively and eaten the best Indian food available, I can guarantee you that the food is not authentic. I had ordered a tasting menu, but was surprised to see it served as a la carte. Plates were not changed, and tables were left dirty. If you're serving bottled water, it should not be served in an open, and dirty bottle. When the food arrived, it was very cold and had to send the food back only to wait 20 minutes. While waiting, the naans were not served and we were left eating beet root rice. While the waiter tried his best, this is not the place to go if you're looking for a pleasant Indian fine-dining experience.Special Features: