Amaya the Indian room
1701 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, ON M4G 2C1Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Amaya the Indian room
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.amayarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (416) 322-3270
- Hours of Operation:
Evenings from 5PM, Seven Nights a Week.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Hemant Bhagwani
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Amaya caters functions of all sizes and budgets.
- Private Party Facilities: Amaya is available for corporate and private events. The restaurant can seat up to 48 guests or be used as a reception space accommodating up to 75 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Noni Verma 4163223270
A word from Amaya the Indian room
Joanne Kates (The Globe and Mail Restaurant Critic) writes…”Amaya, which opened recently in the (renovated) premises of the former Jov, is heaven-sent. The combination of silken service and excellent ingredients freshly cooked, with sensitive spicing, is seductive in the way that only the food of the subcontinent can be - rich, assertive, complex, exotic.” Just as the food avoids clichés, so does the setting. The 40-seat dining room is accented with subtle hints of India through stunning photography creating an inviting atmosphere that is casual and friendly yet elegant and sophisticated.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Amaya the Indian room reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (42)neighborhood gem (33)special occasion (25)good for groups (20)romantic (13)great for lunch (7)hot spot (4)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- soogoiDined on 11/6/2014Excellent service, soft ambiance, food was superb. We will return with friends.Special Features:
- Never disappointsFoodforLifeDined on 10/31/2014I have been to Amaya several times and always go for the tasting menu. I love being surprised by what the chef will serve us that evening and it is always outstanding. I have not had one dish that I didn't enjoy. The food is flavourful and beautifully presented. The staff are personable, knowledgeable and helpful. It is one of my favourite restaurants in Toronto and has become our special occasion choice.Special Features:
- GoodeatinDined on 10/29/2014Inventive and delicious Indian fare... with lots of delicious twists!Special Features:
- Great Restaurant and Food!!!!!Love2eatitalianfoodDined on 10/24/2014As usual, absolutely wonderful food and great service - I can't get enough of it!!!Special Features:
- ExcellentLmnopDined on 10/23/2014Very unique take on Indian cuisine. A great place to celebrate my birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our special treat2foodiesDined on 10/22/2014We used to live a 30 second walk to Amaya, so it was obviously our go-to restaurant. We have since moved and still make the trip back to the old neighborhood restaurant. It's that good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food but...DineOnTimeDined on 10/18/2014...Reservations don't seem to count for much. I've always had a great dining experience at Amaya but, on this particular visit I was a bit offended by the fact that we had a reservation for a specific time for a table for 2 and was made to wait at the bar (without service) while a perfectly prepared table for 2 sat idly by. When I inquired about the table I spotted on arrival, I was told that is was already reserved for a later time...30 minutes later than my reservation!! This made absolutely no sense to me and certainly affected my overall dining experience.Special Features:
- Stained menu needed polishMsBizWizVIPDined on 10/18/2014Beautiful resto just didn't warrant a stained menu. A stained menu didn't do the good food justice. Details count.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Indian at AmayaTrixiLaRueDined on 10/14/2014Not your typical Indian Restaurant - more upscale décor and more importantly, the food. Absolutely delicious. Went with the chef's tasting menu - everything was excellent....notables were the lasooni cauliflower and the lamb lollipops - must haves! Service was good, attentive but not obtrusive. Would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Indian CuisinezigbiDined on 9/27/2014Food overall very tasty with a pleasant zing, but not overpowering spiciness. Lamb chops (lollipops) absolutely delicious. The service is friendly, accommodating and prompt. The wine list is adequate. Prices are reasonable to a little high for Indian, but very much worth the extra few dollars.Special Features:
- Amaya Indian Room.. what a change!honestappraisalDined on 9/26/2014We have been going to Amaya Indian Room since it opened. It used to have a very cozy upscale appearance, but I found that the recent renovation (removing bar from the front) makes it look less beautiful and less upscale. Also, the food has changed. The appetizers were unexceptional and accompanied by what seemed jarred sauces. Altogether too sweet. The fresh flavors, spices and herbs previously used are now substituted with generic and uninteresting tomato sauces. Presentation also, is like a splash from a buffet table. A big disappointment! Won't be going back.
- special occasionThumperDined on 9/6/2014Went for my wifes bday. We had the tasting menu which was an adventure for the tastebuds. Outstanding service. Favorite dish was the cauliflower starter and the lamb chop lollipop with fenugreek sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- afamilyDined on 9/6/2014Food was good. Service was also very good. They noted my food allergies on my Opentable reservation and were very accommodating and offered alternatives.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceAD421VIPDined on 9/2/2014Lamb chops -OMG and the service is excellent. Wiuld happily recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good!KphjrVIPDined on 8/30/2014We have been many times and always enjoy and the food choices constantly change so new dishes to try. Especially like the tasting menus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always pleasedQualityconsciousDined on 8/23/2014We have been several times for dinner and have always been pleased. The butter chicken is a fail-safe winner but other items like asparagus and the roast cod are excellent too. The ambience is elegant, peaceful and quiet so despite being family friendly would do well for a romantic or business meal as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmayaRCT953Dined on 8/16/2014Our second visit to Amaya in the past six weeks, this time taking a friend from out of town with us, and we again chose to go with the Chef's 6 Course Tasting Menu. The food is excellent and plentiful and the service was top notch. It was packed this night, with a line up to get in after about 8:00pm so the noise level from several of the tables was a little on the high side, but it did not interfere with our enjoyment of our meal. Recommend Amaya greatly if you enjoy Indian cuisine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!MelodyDined on 8/10/2014Fabulous, creative, well presented food....really good service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- itsmeDined on 8/2/2014This is the second time we had dinner at Amaya. Food was great again. Service was also very good. Had Butter Chicken leftovers for dinner the next night . :-) Still tastes great warmed up. Next time I'll be more adventurous. Try a Kingfisher beer- goes down great with dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Superb food (we had the taster selection), great variety, excellent service and ambiance. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great curryCurry4uDined on 7/31/2014My friend and I and our 2 daughters enjoyed the food at Amaya - the girls had 2 different chicken curries and we had a tasting menu choosing 4 dishes - we loved the cauliflower starter and the savoury poori and their naan breads. We enjoyed all their dishes and particularly lamb chops, dal and their version of mango chutney. Plenty food to share. We would love to go back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dining choiceDisappointingVIPDined on 7/30/2014Amaya-The Indian Room on Bayview Ave, Toronto said they would NOT honoured any Groupon voucher booking via Open Table and they sent me a cancellation email themselves the next morning. I told them this was not the case in my experience between Groupon voucher and Open Table reservation. The staff reversed the situation and gave me the Open Table 100 points back to my account re the confirmation of this Open Table feedback. In my opinion, this misunderstanding should never taken place at all.Special Features:
- The following 1047 reviews are from the Amaya the Indian room reviews archive.
- SummerliciousLiciousFanDined on 7/20/2014Amaya's never disappoints, whether for lunch or dinner! The food is always very good, with each dish having very distinct/individual flavours - love the surprise bursts of flavours as one bites into fragrant seeds/spices. The Kale & Paneer Salad & the Halibut were exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday Evening DinnerShelley49Dined on 7/19/2014We went there for dinner with our two teenage girls. We were celebrating our 23rd wedding anniversary. All four of us ordered from their Summerlicious menu. We chose to try different appetizers and three different dinner entrees. The food was delicious. The flavours were refined, and very tasty and there was very little/no fat (which we have found in other Indian restaurants). The wait staff were attentive and pleasant. They didn't rush the dinner either which enabled us to really enjoy the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service2dineor2cookDined on 7/19/2014We went here for an early dinner (5PM). The restaurant quickly filled up. The ambience set the mood for a warm conversation. Service was outstanding which is usually a bonus for us. Our server was attentive, gentle and professional. Food was good, I wish we could have chosen the level of heat for our mains- they were a little on the sweet side for me but the lamb curry was definitely really good. (Our mains: Lamb shank korma and Halibut coconut curry). We were presented with a small app by the chef (so was everyone in the room), which was nice and welcoming. Drinks were amazing (Mango lassi, Nimbu pani) Price seemed fair. There is lots to try so we will likely return.Special Features:
- No Complaints!SmacDined on 7/18/2014We did not have the best table, but the food definitely made up for it! Everything we tried on the summerlicious menu was amazing! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Impecable service, and great foodStickmomchauffeurDined on 7/16/2014We came to Amaya and chose it from Summerlicious. I had mentioned to a couple of friends I was going there and all of them said in advance - you will love it, and they were right. All of the wait staff, were sincerely dedicated to help us out whether it was recommending wine or helping us choose the right items so that we felt we could share and get some variety at the same time. Everything was wonderful. Would definitely recommend this to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love this place!!salachanDined on 7/11/2014Great food and excellent service! Never disappointed with the dishes I try. Waiters are very helpful in explaining their dishes and are always around when you need something. My girlfriends and I love Indian food, this is one of our top picks when we're feeling hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time to AmayaOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/11/2014This was our first time to Amaya and we loved the food and its presentation. The location and atmosphere are certainly not high end but the food was very, very good. We will be returning. If you like Indian food and want something significantly better than your local curry restaurant, then try Amaya.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bridget's ReviewIrishfoodiereview1Dined on 7/11/2014I was very pleased with my experience at this restaurant. I am a big fan of Indian food and this place did not disappoint. The food was amazing,full of flavor and served beautifully. The service was outstanding and the place was really pretty and peaceful. I would have no problem recommending this place to any of my friend's and i will most certainly be returning myself.Special Features:
- A foodie's delightInfinityDined on 7/9/2014We had the chickpea chaat (magnificent!) and chicken tikka (superb - not overcooked like most restaurants), followed by butter chicken & lamb curry (both perfectly prepared, the lamb having been simmered long enough to be completely tender, both sauces superb). For those unfamiliar with the Amaya restaurants, they do not put a lot of heat in their dishes, which makes the delicate spicing they employ really stand out. The dessert of gulab jamun was delicate and not heavy/lumpen, and the syrup delicately spiced. Friendly waiter.Special Features:
- Amaya does it SamhainRebeccaDined on 7/8/2014As a party of six we had a great selection of good. The curry prawns were wonderful just order two dishes to sample the prawns. Great tasting cauliflower and eggplant . Wonderful sauces great dinner .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/8/2014A Summerlicious $35 dinner comprised a big appetizer, a very large, very good main, and a good dessert. Our favourite Indian rest did not disappoint.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014Summerlicious meal was excellent. I will come back to Amaya the Indian room soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amaya reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/7/2014I found that the portion sizes of the appetizers and desserts in the prix fix (summerlicious) were a quite stingy. The dessert I chose was just one plain old honey ball. The sauces for the chicken and lamb were very mild and not what I would expect in an Indian restaurant.
- Consistently GoodKphjrVIPDined on 7/5/2014One of our favourites in the City for Indian fare. Chef(s) take traditional Indian recipes and change to be unique to all. Food is spiced according preference. This time we were here for Summerlicious and it was delicious.Special Features:
- Another fine mealOntariofoodieDined on 6/21/2014Amaya sets the standard for Indian cuisine in Toronto. Food is great, service is great which leads to a fantastic experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW what a great experience.GreatfoodDined on 6/20/2014We were greeted and seated promptly. This was my first visit and we asked our server. What was good and he recommended the 4 or 6 course chefs choice sampling. We went with the 6 course which include appetizers and entrees. What a great and enjoyable delicious food experience. Haven't stopped talking about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality Indian MealtaichibakokoDined on 6/14/2014Consistently interesting and good value Amaya's "fancier" restaurant serves up good variations on the normal Indian fare one finds elsewhere. 1 observation - tables could be large to accommodate all the dishes used in a full meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceFoodieDined on 6/12/2014Beautiful ambience, great food, excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.