Amaya La Jolla
1205 Prospect St.
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Amaya La Jolla
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.amayalajolla.com/
- Phone: 8587503695x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily, 5:30 pm – 10 pm
Bar & Lounge: Sun – Thurs, 11:30 am – 11 pm; Fri – Sat, 11:30 am – 11:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Camron Woods
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Pair an expertly crafted cocktail with live music.
Thurs. - Sat., 7:00 pm - 11:00 pm
A word from Amaya La Jolla
Savor American classics with a contemporary twist paired with an extensive wine menu, local handcrafted beers, creative cocktails and live entertainment in a relaxed yet refined setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Amaya La Jolla reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance5Noise LevelQuiet
romantic (4)notable wine list (4)fit for foodies (3)special occasion (3)neighborhood gem (3)good for groups (2)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Old is New Again!BonjeDined on 6/8/2014I worked at 1250 Prospect St. for more than 15 years in the 1980's. This is my old home neighborhood. I love the street, the shops, the people and now, notably, the restaurant which is here at Amaya in La Jolla. I have eaten with my husband many times at Addison's at the Grand Del Mar, but he is now in a nursing home, and so Amaya is now where I had dinner for the first time, on Sunday night. I love it, it is like home to me, the food is excellent, the service was great, I understand that there is a bar with live music in the back and I intend to return again and again. I feel very comfortable here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlexDined on 6/6/2014The dining experience at Amaya is excellent on so many levels - fantastic food, great service, beautiful, elegant decor. It has it all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 159 reviews are from the Amaya La Jolla reviews archive.
- Deadly on weeknightsfoodluverDined on 5/21/2014My husband and I went there for our anniversary on a wednesday night. The food was great and the service was excellent, however we were the only people there the ENTIRE night. Not one single soul showed up. I am assuming they get busy on weekends and they were talking about changes they are making in the next few weeks. Hopefully that will draw in the week night crowd.Special Features:
- Mother's Day LunchGeorgeDined on 5/11/2014Took the wife and kid for a nice mother's day lunch and I thought it might be good to try Amaya at La Jolla since we've been to the one in Del Mar on several occasions already. They had a set course for that day and my wife ordered the salmon and it came in raw in the middle, still had blood. We ordered pasta and grilled chicken for my son and they forgot the grilled chicken and it took forever that we just had to cancel it. My recommendation is, if you're thinking of dining at Amaya, go to the one in Grand Del Mar.Special Features:
- Hidden Gem!ready4round2VIPDined on 4/23/2014We had never gone 'across the street' off of Prospect as in we always went for the beach view places. Decided to try Amaya and what a find! Lunch was amazing. The service was great and we barely waited for anything. Such attentive staff. The food was delicious. I had the fried chicken salad and nothing I could say would do it justice. The breading was nothing I had tasted before. Super crispy yet not at all greasy. And mixed with the blue cheese...YUM! For such a chatty group, it was total silence while eating. Thanks Amaya! We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 StarDinerDined on 4/15/2014We had a wonderful dinner. The food and the service were both excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary CelebrationSanDiegoDinerDined on 4/12/2014We planned an anniversary dinner celebration at Amaya. This was our first time at this restaurant, but not our last. The food, service and atmosphere were all incredible. At the end of our meal, the server came to our table with a complimentary dessert with the words "Happy Anniversary" written around the plate. Not a big deal for the restaurant, but it sure made out evening special and memorable. Thank you Amaya.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiting for the changesgourmetDined on 4/11/2014The staff was very kind, considering the restaurant was going to be changing. soon. Food was delicious but the service was less than previous visits. We are anxious to try the new French Bistro when it opensSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/5/2014The menu at Amaya was very creative. I love any salad that has beets, and there's was superb, with a very light dressing. My date and I shared an Ahi trio appetizer we found delightful, and could have re ordered again & again. We enjoyed a nice bottle of California sparkling wine that paired well with sea bass and a wonderful pork chop that was to die for. Our server was very knowledgeable & attentive & it all added up to a memorably romantic evening. Jeff jolgenSpecial Features:
- surprise is the club in the backHaloDeckVIPDined on 3/28/2014The meal and service was comparable to the prices charged. The real surprise was during dinner we heard live music playing in the back of the restaurant in the bar area that they call Club M. Rather than enjoy after dinner drinks in the odd lay out of the dining area, we decided to check out the live music. What was going to be an ordinary evening turned into an incredible social evening with lots of dancing. Skip the restaurant but go to the bar Club M.Special Features:
- Excellent meal in a charming placegeorgiapeachDined on 3/22/2014we had 8 sophisticated palates in our group and each enjoyed a fabulous meal. The service was impeccable, the array of choices pleasing to all. Was alittle slow the night we were there so we got really special attention. I would recommend this excellent choice without reservation-great food, great atmosphere, great service and divine drinks. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our server was outstanding,BaileyDined on 3/21/2014Our server was outstanding, very engaging, we will be back.Special Features:
- Not a pleasant dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/16/2014We were the only guests in this large restaurant the entire Sunday evening!!
- Great surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/8/2014With beautiful atmosphere, Amaya is a wonderful place to have delicious food and the ability to have conversations that could be heard and enjoyed. Service was terrific and the food was extremely well prepared. We will be returning to this beautiful gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Addition to La Jolla DiningBuntzVIPDined on 3/6/2014This was our first visit to Amaya La Jolla and it was a terrific experience. The dining area is beautiful blending marble and wood with gorgeous draperies and paintings. The table spacing is excellent allowing easy, quiet conversation. Of course, none of this would mean much if the food did not match the surroundings. No worries on that account. The roasted butternut squash soup with bits of smoked duck was divine. Our entrees were garlic prawns and a perfectly prepared pork chop, which we paired with a bottle of Gigondas. We finished with luscious coconut panna cotta. Service was outstanding. There is a bar in the back with live music - blues on this particular night - that was quite enjoyable, and probably worth a visit on its own.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and food33birthdayDined on 3/4/2014The salad had a wonderful dressing and the salmon was beautifully cooked.Special Features:
- Great place for dinner andOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/1/2014Great place for dinner and music. Excellent food--terrific pork chop and lamb the night I was there. Quiet enough to talk and a music venue/ bar-restaurant in the back. Worth the moneySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never failstrdliteVIPDined on 2/26/2014We have been to Amaya at La Jolla many times before. This was a very pleasant event as well. The food was very tasty and nicely presented. The server was very knowledgeable and pleasant to talk to. Will revisit again for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceLobsterheadVIPDined on 2/17/2014Had a wonderful dinner with multiple courses and outstanding service. Our waiter Michael was on point and a great conversationalist. The GM was very friendly and also a pleasure to talk to. On another note the food was outstanding. Might have ordered too much but everything looked so good. Definitely go if you haven't been and I know I'll be back soon.Special Features:
- Southern hospitalityLuv4foodDined on 2/17/2014I ordered the shrimp on a bed of collard greens with grits and was not disappointed. In fact, my friend remarked that the grits were better than the ones she had in Atlanta. I also had the fried okra, another favorite of mine, and loved every bite. The service was also on a par with renowned southern hospitality, reminiscent of the kind of service you might receive in a 5-star hotel or on a gentrified southern plantation. Of course, you know you're really in La Jolla experiencing the very best of Southern California hospitality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/15/2014Duck breast was amazing, oysters were very good, bisque was excellent and prawns were done perfectly. Gnocchi was kind of bland but everything else was great including the cocktails and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ..and it worked for Valentine's DayDavidVIPDined on 2/14/2014Not having heard much about this restaurant, but passing it when in the neighborhood, we decided to try it for valentine's day. The food was superb, the service excellent, and it is a very elegant place to celebrate a special occasion like V'Day. We noticed live music coming from the bar next door while dining, and went to check it out. A great scene and great music. We learned afterwards that Club M is named for Doug Manchester, the owner/developer, and the owner of the sister restaurant, Addison's at the Grand Del Mar. This one feels relatively undiscovered yet. We wish it success!Special Features:
- A Perfect Valentine's Day Dinner!Chef42VIPDined on 2/14/2014Excellent food, wine and service in a quiet, comfortable setting. Amaya La Jolla has become our new favorite special occasion restaurant.Special Features:
- Classic DiningBigBevDined on 1/30/2014A high level of ambiance is expected for La Jolla but the quality of the food exceeds expectations. Coupled with excellent service, this spot is a classic dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting menuNancyDined on 1/29/2014We went to Amaya for my mom's 86th birthday. At 5:30 PM on a Wednesday we were the only ones in there so of course it was a very quiet atmosphere, which I like, but I can't judge how it would be if it was full. It's lovely, our waiter was knowledgeable and attentive and they made my mom a special birthday dessert. All 5 of us had different entrees and we all liked what we ordered. The Pinot Noir that was recommended by our waiter was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner was amazing!VegasDonDined on 1/23/2014Absolutely a wonder evening! I've been wanting to try Amaya for a while now. Very happy we finally went. I was extremely happy with the food and service. My wife and look forward to going back after Resturant Week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedSandyTDined on 1/23/2014Went with 4 friends to Amaya during "restaurant week" expecting to be "blown away." There were several outstanding items: appetizers were very tasty, especially the Butternut Squash soup, all the desserts were outstanding--the apple-cranberry cobbler was "to die for." Adult beverages were "generous pours" and wine was good. (Bordeaux and Riesling) Two of the entrees were below par: my filet had a lot of fat and two diners' pork chops were "tough." i clicked yes to "recommend this restaurant to friend? ' as my experience may have been an exception rather than the rule.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmayaMartyDined on 1/22/2014The Amaya always impresses...excellent food and service in a lovely setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent wait staff! GoodMerryWidowDined on 1/21/2014Excellent wait staff! Good food (not necessarily cutting edge), but it did not warrant the high price. Decor is over the top - a riot of colors and designs.Special Features:
- Beautiful Restaurant!MykaelVIPDined on 1/19/2014Having dined at Amaya at the Grand Del Mar before I was prepared for the same level of service and food! We came for restaurant week (not even knowing) but thoroughly enjoyed all our dishes (the Tenderloin was cooked to perfection). The dessert was a little lackluster because I wasn't a real fan of Apple Crumbles (My girlfriend ordered it and wanted mine instead). The service was impeccable and very friendly/helpful (I had them help me surprise my gf for her birthday). Loved the entire experience (they even comped her a glass of champagne!). Will definitely be back and bring more friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't Prepare a Medium SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/19/2014Apparently the two choices are rare or well-done (burnt). Ordered a medium steak (Filet Mignon) and had it delivered rare (I think it was still moving), sent it back and got it returned just as rare as it was the first time. Sent it back a second time and got it back, predictably, well-done - burnt to a cinder. The manager wrote off the meal which was nice of him but it wasn't what I would call a pleasant dining experience. I can't recommend this restaurant to anyone.
- PerfectTimboDined on 1/19/2014If you find food prepared better than Amaya, please let me know. Food is consistently cooked to perfection. Staff makes you feel like you're special. Great experience everytime!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StellarskirkDined on 1/16/2014I went here for a business dinner recently. The staff were incredibly polite and attentive. Personal without being too intimate, it was a perfect balance. We felt incredibly welcome there. The chef has done a great job with the menu - some really good foundation dishes with viable flair. He's not trying to force strange things together, but has thoroughly considered trying new things that pair naturally, which compliment or bring out new tastes or flavors you wouldn't normally notice, yet without being "pompous" (as some chefs try to be). I'll admit I'm kind of a picky eater, yet I was really very pleased! Also, the pastry chef did a special "cheesecake sampler" which was to die for! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Good food and very good serviceclh622Dined on 1/10/2014The restaurant has a varied menu selection that should satisfy most. The staff is attentive and seems very knowledgeable. Overall, we enjoyed the meal a great deal and will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed Amaya very muchRussDined on 1/9/2014The very elegantly appointed Amaya restaurant is definitely worth the trip. The atmosphere is wonderful and the service is top-notch. We found the salads, soup and dessert outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and servicelordscoffalotDined on 12/28/2013Unfortunately, when we dined here at lunchtime, my wife and I were almost the only diners in the restaurant, that said, the food and the service were both excellent and attentive. However, I do think that this restaurant has a lovely dining room that would come into it's own and offer greater ambience for an evening meal.Special Features:
- Beautiful DecorDowntownGirlVIPDined on 12/27/2013Lovely restaurant with very attentive staff presentation & food was excellent. Very large venue. There were very few people in restaurant. The bar area was very busy. Would definitely visit again.Special Features:
- If you are a foodie come hereSanJoaquinMikeDined on 12/25/2013We have ate at the finest restaurants in Napa and Amaya La Jolla is at that level. Beautiful restaurant (no view). Original art on the walls and the furnishing are top notch. It follows the the food, wine, and service were exceptional. Do not miss the Lobster pie. Outstanding service on Christmas evening.Special Features:
- WowOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/24/2013They spared no expense. The place is awesome from Soup to nuts!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- celebratoryoldfriendsDined on 12/19/2013The wait staff was attentive, charming and knowledgeable. The menu was a nice unique blend of flavors, beautifully presented, and absolutely delicious. I loved the "Duo" scallop and shortrib.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.