Amaya at The Grand Del Mar
5300 Grand Del Mar Court
San Diego, CA 92130Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Amaya at The Grand Del Mar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thegranddelmar.com/san-diego-dining-amaya/
- Phone: (858) 314-2727
- Hours of Operation:
Open daily. Breakfast: 6:30am - 11:00am / Lunch: Monday - Friday, 11:00am - 2:30pm / Intermezzo: 2:30pm - 5:30pm / Dinner: 5:30pm - 10:00pm / Saturday and Sunday "A la Carte" Brunch: 11:00 am - 2:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Matthew Sramek
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Amaya at The Grand Del Mar
With stunning views of The Grand Del Mar’s Mediterranean inspiration, you'll forget your actually dining in San Diego. Let Amaya whisk you off to the coasts of Spain, Italy and France, as you enjoy breakfast, lunch or dinner on the cozily shaded terrace or within the refined dining room. MENU: Amaya's distinctive menu features American cuisine with Mediterranean influences. Chef Matthew Sramek presents an array of tempting appetizers, pastas and risotto, and savory entrees, such as Grilled Garlic Prawns with a pistachio and sweet pepper romesco and Rotisserie Veal Chop with gratin of asparagus and prosciutto. To finish, decadent desserts highlight seasonal fruits and classic indulgences. WINE PROGRAM: An expansive selection of wines from Spain, Italy and France further enhance the Mediterranean flavors of Sramek' menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Amaya at The Grand Del Mar - Best Restaurants in Del Mar ›
Amaya at The Grand Del Mar reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (48)special occasion (40)romantic (36)fit for foodies (33)notable wine list (32)good for groups (25)scenic view (24)great for brunch (17)great for lunch (15)neighborhood gem (14)kid-friendly (11)hot spot (3)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Incredible dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014I have dined in cities like New York and Paris (the best restaurants), and for my money Amaya is superior to all. The "duo" was excellent, the dessert a work of art and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good foodRSFTravelerVIPDined on 10/23/2014We visit Amaya regularly, and the food and service are always very good. The atmosphere is romantic, reminiscent of a European hotel. They have a good selection of several different dishes and pretty much anything they make with short ribs should not be missed. The duck confit flat bread, tuna tartar and especially Catalan shrimp are not to be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visually stunning, but...HappyEaterDined on 10/8/2014Amaya at the Grand Del Mar is a beautiful spot reminding me of the Villa D'Esta on Lake Como, Italy. The food however, for the price and the place, was disappointing. I ordered a garlic shrimp and artichoke salad that had four beautiful large prawns on top of giant pieces of lettuce and hard little pieces of artichoke. The shrimp were tough and tasteless . My companion had salmon on Israeli cous cous and said she enjoyed it, so that was a plus. We were told we couldn't sit outside, but three tables remained unoccupied the whole time we were there. The service was mediocre at best. I guess it boils down to the fact that we weren't businessmen staying at the hotel. I left thinking I was glad to see it, but wouldn't return.Special Features:
- Beautiful Setting, Terrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/7/2014I've been to Amaya numerous times, and thought they had their slow service issue fixed. Nope. Was there with four people for lunch. There were perhaps ten other people in the restaurant total. It took 40 minutes to get our food after taking twenty minutes to order. We had ordered roast beef sandwiches. They got 2 of the 4 orders wrong. The roast beef was terrible. Fatty, almost gristly, and partially inedible. But the service is what stood out. Horrific. Do not go there if you have less than 90 minutes for lunch.
- Great experience all around!MochiDined on 9/26/2014Exceptional food, wine and service! This is one of our favorite places to celebrate a special occasion or take out of towners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic placeNataliaDined on 9/26/2014Its a beautiful place and very good service, the food its amazing, i loved the fireplace, so warm!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!DineFine2Dined on 9/26/2014Took my mom out for her birthday while they had their San Diego restaurant week menu. Was blown away with the quality and service of our dining experience. The food was so fresh (especially the red snapper) and the menu for restaurant week had a lot of variety and creativity. Alexander, our waiter, checked up on us when necessary but let us enjoy the experience in peaceful privacy for most of the time. The outdoor seating area is really tastefully done with tables placed nicely apart from one another and views of the grass veranda and neighboring structures. We love how quiet the area is and the beauty of all of The Grand's architecture. Definitely will be coming back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- carmelcarmelDined on 9/24/2014The food was very good, as usual, but the dress code was all but disappeared. People wearing shorts, sneaks and tee-shirts were let in and seated next to well dressed couples and groups. I've checked "special occasion" only because of the cost.Special Features:
- Impeccable service, superb foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/24/2014Service plays such a large role in the dining experience, and it was unsurpassed at Amaya. The food (lunch menu) was just what you'd want...delicious and interesting with novel elements. Overall, great experience.Special Features:
- Restaurant weekhappydinnerDined on 9/22/2014Went there for restaurant week, the service was very good. The food was not as good as last couple times. My boyfriend had Thai snapper for entree, and the fish wasn't clean up too well. I had duck breast, and it was juicy and tender. I also had scallop for appetizer, for adding $10 for the scallop, I think it was a bit over price for one scallop. For dessert, we had banana upside down cake with pineapple icecream, it was amazing!!! The dessert was the best of the whole meal.Special Features:
- Amaya- Grand Del MarLoveSanDiegoVIPDined on 9/3/2014We absolutely loved it, and our waiter Ryan was fantastic!Special Features:
- One of our Go To placesRSFTravelerVIPDined on 9/1/2014We live near the Grand Del Mar and so we dine here regularly. The food is always top notch and the specials keep things interesting. The duo of beef and crab pappardelle are stand outs here for entrees, as is the Catalan shrimp, especially when you save your pretzel rolls from the bread basket for dipping in the chili lime garlic sauce that accompanies it. Great food, service and view make this a must visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable eveningscotthinsdDined on 8/25/2014Had a great meal, good atmosphere and the wait staff was excellent. Hope that the menu is expanded a bit, but this is not a negative.Special Features:
- Italy in Del Mar!PJWhizDined on 8/23/2014It's hard to notice just how good the food is (I always order the steak salad) with the fantastic view from the patio! Be sure to try the pretzel bread---yum. Always excellent service. Prices are creeping up, though. It was a better deal 2 years ago.Special Features:
- Wonderful Birthday DinnerMsDuneDined on 8/22/2014Started with cocktails in bar upstairs, which was excellent. My husband had a mai tai, which he said is one of the best he's had on the mainland, and he's had a lot. Great service! When we went downstairs for dinner they seated us quickly. I requested a different location due to some nearby screaming children, and they happily seated us in another section of the dining room. Waiter arrived promptly, answered questions, etc., and was very friendly. I had the sea bass, which I was glad to see was prepared gluten free since I have a gluten intolerance. My husband had a combo petite filet and short ribs. Both were excellent! Husband had carrot cake for dessert. Was more spice than carrot cake, but still good. Service was top notch.Special Features:
- Wonderful Birthday dinnercopydrDined on 8/21/2014It was my wife's fiftieth birthday and the drive from San Diego was well worth it. Next time we are visiting San Diego this will definitely be one of our dinner choices.Special Features:
- thomasthomasDined on 8/13/2014Excellent food. Excellent service. One of the best pork chops ever.Special Features:
- hungry1carolDined on 8/11/2014Absolutely beautiful place and everyone loved their lunches. I had crab cakes--wonderful. The small salad was a bit "wimpy." Needed something crunchy added--even some romaine would have been a good addition and would have added more substance. The desserts were" to die for" yummy, yummy. 9 in our group and they all raved!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentWorldClassTravellerDined on 8/10/2014Great dinner yet again!!! My 3rd time in a month and I have yet to be disappointed.
- A Gem at the Grand Del MarSteveTDined on 8/10/2014Amaya's soups are consistently outstanding. A great selection for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining at Lunch!mustangVIPDined on 8/7/2014We were so happy to be able to eat a fine hot meal at lunch, instead of sandwiches or burgers. Tender shortribs and gorgeous scallops with corn and citrus, accompanied by Rioja made for a delicious meal. Atmosphere is tranquil and gorgeous, service good.Special Features:
- Grea food but you have to waitAbi0VIPDined on 8/5/2014the food is great, the service is great, but the food takes a lot to come and a bit priceySpecial Features:
- Great Service and Food!WorldClassTravellerDined on 8/3/2014I came here once for business and it was so good I had to bring my family. We had a great time...I had the crispy branzini, delicious! Everyone enjoyed their food...and our waiter was fantastic, so friendly and attentive! I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- sugarsugarVIPDined on 8/3/2014Probably the best place for lunch in San Diego. The atmosphere is fantastic on the patio. The Service is great and they will change any menu item so it fits your needs. I have been there many time and cannot remember any disappointment.Special Features:
- Great AgainSeanVIPDined on 8/2/2014Now Amaya is 2 for 2. We loved the last meal, we had, so came back Saturday night again. The service was even better, which is saying something, and the food continued to amaze. The center cut pork chop was the best I've ever had. Moist, flavorful, and a generous portion. We'll be back yet again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but very low serviceAbi0VIPDined on 8/1/2014The food was great a bit expensive Portions are small and I took like 40 minutes to arrive the foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 610 reviews are from the Amaya at The Grand Del Mar reviews archive.
- We'll be backSeanVIPDined on 7/19/2014We live close by but have never tried Amaya before. Our loss. We came as a party of four and enjoyed four great dishes, perfectly prepared. We intend to return often. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoudadultererVIPDined on 7/18/2014Beautiful place, good service, fine food. One giant problem... An extremely noisy party of 7 drunk fat housewives out for a raucous dinner destroyed the atmosphere completely. Unable to even have a conversation during dinner due to their huge noise and rowdy behavior. Their fault, but where was the wait staff or manager to ask them to moderate. Everyone suffered ans even overheard others at the valet with the same complaint...Special Features:
- WowBWSDDined on 7/16/2014Pretty simple review here -- it was absolutely amazing. That was the best dinner I've had in a long, long time.Special Features:
- Mini VacationKatherineVIPDined on 7/16/2014A long lunch at Amaya is a mini-vacation for me - a great way to decompress mid-week. Best cheeseburger in San Diego. Fresh ingredients cooked to perfection, brought to the table while the melted cheese is still blistering. I've ordered cheeseburger 3 times now and it's perfection every time. I can't believe that cheeseburger is now my new favorite at Amaya!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014The food was average, Brioche french toast looked good but really dry,(needed to be dipped longer in egg mixture) eggs benedict so so.Hollandaise sparse and not much flavor. The atmosphere amazing, service excellent.Special Features:
- Wonderful Spot!meglalaVIPDined on 6/27/2014This "casual" dining spot at the Grand Del Mar has wonderful food and service. Both dinner and breakfast were outstanding!Special Features:
- The perfect place!Luv2LunchDined on 6/23/2014I just love dining at Amaya at The Grand Del Mar. Everything about the restaurant is awesome...the location, hotel beauty, quality of food, ambience, friendly staff, gorgeous views! It's like getting away, but yet so close to home. It's the perfect place for a special occasion, and makes an every day visit feel like one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service!HappyDiner2Dined on 6/21/2014This dining experience was really special! The waiters were very good and the food was really unique! We had a 6 year old and she loved the rocking chairs by the fire outside!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!overpricedVIPDined on 6/19/2014Service excellent. Calm, private place. Relaxing for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 40th Anniversarygrace1019Dined on 6/15/2014I booked an evening at The Grand for my parent's 40th anniversary and father's birthday. I booked a dinner and breakfast reservation at Amaya. I wanted to pay for everything, and have all reservations in place so they wouldn't have to worry about anything. It was a little difficult to arrange for the credit card authorization. After speaking with 2 different people, I was eventually able to speak to the daytime manager who was great, and sent me the cc authorization form right away. My parents had a wonderful dinner and breakfast at Amaya. They loved the food and overall experience! My father's birthday dinner was made special with a birthday dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Amaya!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/14/2014Dined here for combination birthday and Fathers Day. It is one of our favorite restaurants and didn't disappoint this time. Superb cuisine, service and ambiance. Everything from the warm pretzel rolls to crisp salads, perfectly seasoned entrees, and beautiful desserts were absolutely delicious. Multiple waitstaff ensured we never had an empty glass, and everyone at the hotel was perfectly friendly and well mannered. We have never had a less than exceptional experience at the Grand Del Mar!Special Features:
- Too expensiveRedtagVIPDined on 6/11/2014Food is not outstanding just ok and too expensive even for a nice placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- romantic and special occasionsOffMenuVIPDined on 6/9/2014Enjoyed a quiet dinner for two, with a nice bottle of wine and a four course meal. The shrimp appetizer was better than dessert. The pace and attentiveness of the servers was absolutely perfect for us to share our meal, conversation and the view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/6/2014Although one expects overly priced food in a hotel restaurant, especially the Grand Del Mar, one expects the food to be delicious. Not so at the Amaya. It was mediocre at best and the portions were much smaller than expected. Because the restaurant choices at the hotel were limited, we gave the Amaya a second chance. Unfortunately, it was not better than our first dining experience. We should have spent our last night off property.Special Features: