Amaya at The Grand Del Mar
5300 Grand Del Mar Court
San Diego, CA 92130Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Amaya at The Grand Del Mar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thegranddelmar.com/san-diego-dining-amaya/
- Phone: 8583142727
- Hours of Operation:
Open daily. Breakfast: 6:30am - 11:00am / Lunch: Monday - Friday, 11:00am - 2:30pm / Intermezzo: 2:30pm - 5:30pm / Dinner: 5:30pm - 10:00pm / Saturday and Sunday "A la Carte" Brunch: 11:00 am - 2:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Matthew Sramek
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Amaya at The Grand Del Mar
With stunning views of The Grand Del Mar’s Mediterranean inspiration, you'll forget your actually dining in San Diego. Let Amaya whisk you off to the coasts of Spain, Italy and France, as you enjoy breakfast, lunch or dinner on the cozily shaded terrace or within the refined dining room. MENU: Amaya's distinctive menu features American cuisine with Mediterranean influences. Chef Matthew Sramek presents an array of tempting appetizers, pastas and risotto, and savory entrees, such as Grilled Garlic Prawns with a pistachio and sweet pepper romesco and Rotisserie Veal Chop with gratin of asparagus and prosciutto. To finish, decadent desserts highlight seasonal fruits and classic indulgences. WINE PROGRAM: An expansive selection of wines from Spain, Italy and France further enhance the Mediterranean flavors of Sramek' menu. CHEF'S TASTING MENU: Chef offers a nightly 3-course tasting menu with wine pairings for only $85.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Amaya at The Grand Del Mar - Best Restaurants in Del Mar ›
Amaya at The Grand Del Mar reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (49)special occasion (43)romantic (32)scenic view (28)fit for foodies (26)notable wine list (26)kid-friendly (23)great for lunch (20)great for brunch (19)neighborhood gem (16)good for groups (14)late-night find (5)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Enjoyable eveningscotthinsdDined on 8/25/2014Had a great meal, good atmosphere and the wait staff was excellent. Hope that the menu is expanded a bit, but this is not a negative.Special Features:
- Wonderful Birthday DinnerMsDuneDined on 8/22/2014Started with cocktails in bar upstairs, which was excellent. My husband had a mai tai, which he said is one of the best he's had on the mainland, and he's had a lot. Great service! When we went downstairs for dinner they seated us quickly. I requested a different location due to some nearby screaming children, and they happily seated us in another section of the dining room. Waiter arrived promptly, answered questions, etc., and was very friendly. I had the sea bass, which I was glad to see was prepared gluten free since I have a gluten intolerance. My husband had a combo petite filet and short ribs. Both were excellent! Husband had carrot cake for dessert. Was more spice than carrot cake, but still good. Service was top notch.Special Features:
- Wonderful Birthday dinnercopydrDined on 8/21/2014It was my wife's fiftieth birthday and the drive from San Diego was well worth it. Next time we are visiting San Diego this will definitely be one of our dinner choices.Special Features:
- thomasthomasDined on 8/13/2014Excellent food. Excellent service. One of the best pork chops ever.Special Features:
- hungry1carolDined on 8/11/2014Absolutely beautiful place and everyone loved their lunches. I had crab cakes--wonderful. The small salad was a bit "wimpy." Needed something crunchy added--even some romaine would have been a good addition and would have added more substance. The desserts were" to die for" yummy, yummy. 9 in our group and they all raved!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentWorldClassTravellerDined on 8/10/2014Great dinner yet again!!! My 3rd time in a month and I have yet to be disappointed.
- A Gem at the Grand Del MarSteveTDined on 8/10/2014Amaya's soups are consistently outstanding. A great selection for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining at Lunch!mustangVIPDined on 8/7/2014We were so happy to be able to eat a fine hot meal at lunch, instead of sandwiches or burgers. Tender shortribs and gorgeous scallops with corn and citrus, accompanied by Rioja made for a delicious meal. Atmosphere is tranquil and gorgeous, service good.Special Features:
- Grea food but you have to waitAbi0Dined on 8/5/2014the food is great, the service is great, but the food takes a lot to come and a bit priceySpecial Features:
- Great Service and Food!WorldClassTravellerDined on 8/3/2014I came here once for business and it was so good I had to bring my family. We had a great time...I had the crispy branzini, delicious! Everyone enjoyed their food...and our waiter was fantastic, so friendly and attentive! I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- sugarsugarVIPDined on 8/3/2014Probably the best place for lunch in San Diego. The atmosphere is fantastic on the patio. The Service is great and they will change any menu item so it fits your needs. I have been there many time and cannot remember any disappointment.Special Features:
- Great AgainSeanVIPDined on 8/2/2014Now Amaya is 2 for 2. We loved the last meal, we had, so came back Saturday night again. The service was even better, which is saying something, and the food continued to amaze. The center cut pork chop was the best I've ever had. Moist, flavorful, and a generous portion. We'll be back yet again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but very low serviceAbi0Dined on 8/1/2014The food was great a bit expensive Portions are small and I took like 40 minutes to arrive the foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be backSeanVIPDined on 7/19/2014We live close by but have never tried Amaya before. Our loss. We came as a party of four and enjoyed four great dishes, perfectly prepared. We intend to return often. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoudadultererVIPDined on 7/18/2014Beautiful place, good service, fine food. One giant problem... An extremely noisy party of 7 drunk fat housewives out for a raucous dinner destroyed the atmosphere completely. Unable to even have a conversation during dinner due to their huge noise and rowdy behavior. Their fault, but where was the wait staff or manager to ask them to moderate. Everyone suffered ans even overheard others at the valet with the same complaint...Special Features:
- WowBWSDDined on 7/16/2014Pretty simple review here -- it was absolutely amazing. That was the best dinner I've had in a long, long time.Special Features:
- Mini VacationKatherineVIPDined on 7/16/2014A long lunch at Amaya is a mini-vacation for me - a great way to decompress mid-week. Best cheeseburger in San Diego. Fresh ingredients cooked to perfection, brought to the table while the melted cheese is still blistering. I've ordered cheeseburger 3 times now and it's perfection every time. I can't believe that cheeseburger is now my new favorite at Amaya!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014The food was average, Brioche french toast looked good but really dry,(needed to be dipped longer in egg mixture) eggs benedict so so.Hollandaise sparse and not much flavor. The atmosphere amazing, service excellent.Special Features:
- Wonderful Spot!meglalaVIPDined on 6/27/2014This "casual" dining spot at the Grand Del Mar has wonderful food and service. Both dinner and breakfast were outstanding!Special Features:
- The perfect place!Luv2LunchDined on 6/23/2014I just love dining at Amaya at The Grand Del Mar. Everything about the restaurant is awesome...the location, hotel beauty, quality of food, ambience, friendly staff, gorgeous views! It's like getting away, but yet so close to home. It's the perfect place for a special occasion, and makes an every day visit feel like one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service!HappyDiner2Dined on 6/21/2014This dining experience was really special! The waiters were very good and the food was really unique! We had a 6 year old and she loved the rocking chairs by the fire outside!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!overpricedVIPDined on 6/19/2014Service excellent. Calm, private place. Relaxing for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 40th Anniversarygrace1019Dined on 6/15/2014I booked an evening at The Grand for my parent's 40th anniversary and father's birthday. I booked a dinner and breakfast reservation at Amaya. I wanted to pay for everything, and have all reservations in place so they wouldn't have to worry about anything. It was a little difficult to arrange for the credit card authorization. After speaking with 2 different people, I was eventually able to speak to the daytime manager who was great, and sent me the cc authorization form right away. My parents had a wonderful dinner and breakfast at Amaya. They loved the food and overall experience! My father's birthday dinner was made special with a birthday dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Amaya!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/14/2014Dined here for combination birthday and Fathers Day. It is one of our favorite restaurants and didn't disappoint this time. Superb cuisine, service and ambiance. Everything from the warm pretzel rolls to crisp salads, perfectly seasoned entrees, and beautiful desserts were absolutely delicious. Multiple waitstaff ensured we never had an empty glass, and everyone at the hotel was perfectly friendly and well mannered. We have never had a less than exceptional experience at the Grand Del Mar!Special Features:
- Too expensiveRedtagVIPDined on 6/11/2014Food is not outstanding just ok and too expensive even for a nice placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- romantic and special occasionsOffMenuVIPDined on 6/9/2014Enjoyed a quiet dinner for two, with a nice bottle of wine and a four course meal. The shrimp appetizer was better than dessert. The pace and attentiveness of the servers was absolutely perfect for us to share our meal, conversation and the view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/6/2014Although one expects overly priced food in a hotel restaurant, especially the Grand Del Mar, one expects the food to be delicious. Not so at the Amaya. It was mediocre at best and the portions were much smaller than expected. Because the restaurant choices at the hotel were limited, we gave the Amaya a second chance. Unfortunately, it was not better than our first dining experience. We should have spent our last night off property.Special Features:
- Needs Some Workhungry314VIPDined on 5/24/2014We have been to Amaya several times in the past. Our last visit fell short. It was a busy night and and the wait staff just couldn't keep up. We sat for 10 minutes before someone came to the table. The trend continued thru the evening. The food was okay, but nothing on par with our previous meals. We had a so-so dinner when we expected better.Special Features:
- Almost GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/21/2014This restaurant is located in the gorgeous Grand Del Mar Resort so my wife and I had high expectations. Pulling up to the Hotel's grand entry next to a black Maserati in our 2012 Toyota made us feel somewhat like gypsies in the palace, and when we walked into their opulent lobby our feelings were confirmed. The wine list was amazing, and our four course meal was superb. "So why the heck was it only 'almost' perfect?" One word...service. The food was five star but the service was pure hotel lobby restaurant stuff. Appetizers and salads came out together, water glasses left empty...15-20 minute gaps between courses....ugh. I have given it 3 stars because the food was sooooo good, but everything else...well...I am sorry to say meh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grand Del Mar dinnerBernardDined on 5/11/2014We started off with an unappetizing Lobster Bisque which tasted just like the water that the lobster was cooked in. This was shared with the waiter but he did nothing to deal with the comment. The pretzel rolls were good but the butter was so cold that by the time it was spread on the roll it too was cold. The sea bass was good but the sauce was bland. The asparagus only amounted to a couple of chunks hidden under the fish to make the fish look larger than it was. Then a couple of razor thin shaved asparagus strips on top that were tough. The other two meals delivered to our table were steaks. After cutting into them it was realized they each had been given the other's steak. The dinner was overpriced considering the food and attention.Special Features:
- Impeccable serviceGoodfoodgoodtimesDined on 5/10/2014Thank you for a wonderful meal and exceptional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/10/2014Our Open Table reservation had us assigned a table outside without being asked. It was cool and the restaurant was almost empty so we requested an inside table thereby seeming to confuse everyone mightily! After a time we were offered a table at the open door; no different to being outside, temperaturewise. So we asked for an inside table, again, and further confused the hostess. Eventually we suggested an inside booth and reluctantly and moodily we were seated. We have dined at Amaya often for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It seems, however, that the reputation of the Grand Hotel and Amaya has led to complacency and haughtiness. There are other options available, Rancho Valencia's Veladora, for instance, where we will go in future.
- Always GreatLovelyLizVIPDined on 5/10/2014Went to Amaya Grand Del Mar for an early Mother's Day breakfast (day before). Lots of nice details/high-end elements to the food. Great service (e.g., multiple servers at once...). The venue is phenomenal/nice view... Have been here for dinner, late night drinks too. Can't go wrong. Prices are high but not ultra high. Good value for what you get. Feels like being in a palace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday celebrationPickyPalateVIPDined on 5/8/2014I came with my family to celebrate by daughter's 10th birthday. Service was great. Everyone greeted her and made her feel special. The kids had burger and mac and cheese (the celebrant's favorite). I started with squash blossom risotto and sea bass for entree. Both of which were very good. My husband had duck breast and kale salad. Both of which were great too. The kitchen/chef was flexible and added chanterelle to the entree. The bread pudding specially made for her was outstanding.Special Features:
- The following 589 reviews are from the Amaya at The Grand Del Mar reviews archive.
- business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/25/2014excellent ambience. The food was excellent. I would have liked slightly faster service but it was satisfactory.Special Features:
- kabuVIPDined on 4/24/2014Wonderful service, food and absolutely beautiful. It's like being in Europe.Special Features:
- FabulousMarjorieDined on 4/3/2014Lovely, serene garden setting from outdoor patio, reminded us of Versailles. Access to patio for ambulatory challenged folks very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- European AmbienceSuzyVIPDined on 3/25/2014With a varied menu and knowledgable servers, any diet can be accommodated at this wonderful retreat. Save it for a special occasion, or just going there MAKES the occasion special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion HighlightgardengalVIPDined on 3/6/2014Outdoor setting for Amaya is peaceful and green and your neighbor's table is not in your lap. Took a friend for her birthday lunch because I wanted it all to feel special and it was! Shrimp and salmon on the salads were perfectly cooked, butter for rolls was soft for spreading, iced tea was unsweetened with orange slices as requested. The birthday dessert was layers of chocolate-- one tasting crunchy and another tasted of peanut butter... together it was one of my top 5 desserts ever! Excellent service-never rushed so we could talk. Thank you Amaya!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amaya at The Grand Del MarOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/5/2014This was our first visit to The Grand Del Mar. Beautiful place and our meal was fantastic! As we were celebrating out 31st wedding anniversary, they were kind enough to start us out with a complimentary glass of bubbly and finished with complimentary dessert which was unexpected and very much appreciated!Special Features: