Amarit Thai Restaurant
600 South Dearborn Street
Chicago, IL 60605Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
Amarit Thai Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.amaritthai.com/
- Phone: 3129391179
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Thai
- Executive Chef: Ohm Onthuam
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Delivery, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: We offer catering for any occasion, please contact us at 312 939-1179 for more information.
A word from Amarit Thai Restaurant
Amarit first opened its door to its customer serving authentic Thai cuisine in 1992. As a family-run restaurant, we have committed to offering superb quality ingredient while remaining true to the authenticity of Thai and Pan-Asian cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Amarit Thai Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelQuiet
good for groups (2)neighborhood gem (1)fit for foodies (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Excellent food, good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/17/2014The overall feel of the restaurant could be better, you will not find any luxury nor a great wine list, but the food is very good and the staff is very dedicated to help ask the right combinations and quantities.Special Features:
- The following 58 reviews are from the Amarit Thai Restaurant reviews archive.
- Just averagedennisj2109Dined on 5/10/2014Very average food in this "oriental restaurant". The coconut smoothie was ok, but the main courses were, although promoted as "spicy" , very mild. I'm sure there are beter restaurants in Chicago that serve far beter Thai food!
- Fresh & TastyUpSnoFnVIPDined on 4/9/2014We tried Amarit on a whim and were pleasantly surprised. Everything was very fresh and had a great flavor. We all tried different dishes and no one was dissappointed. When they make crab fried rice, it's not imitation crab, it's the real deal. Their cashew chicken was loaded with cashews. Their pork medallions were superb. The service was impeccible, food was delivered really quickly which we didn't ask for but it was lunch so they've obviously worked with a lunch crowd and know how to deliver. I would recommend Amarit to anyone looking for a good meal in Chicago for lunch. Reasonably priced too.Special Features:
- Great Thai FoodpmrthirdVIPDined on 2/25/2014Was in Chicago for business and found this place great for lunch! Enjoyed the duck!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I liked how open it was.PaulaVIPDined on 12/11/2013I had lots of room to eat and others came in and had room too. I liked the food and drinks. The food was warm and very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food around simplicityvansaintDined on 12/1/2013Food was of great quality, service was a bit slow and the environment was too simplistic for those who want to dine in style. But the authenticity and quality of food trumped everything else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Thai Food and ambienceLunartubsDined on 9/9/2013This is the first place my now wife and I ate after being married by the court. The food was good then as it is now. They have a nice patio and the inside is nice ambient and quiet. I have eaten a lot of Thai Food in Chicago and it rangs among the best with dishes for every taste - mild to spicy, beef to veggie, salads to noodles, traditional Thai dishes, specialties, and the dishes you expect.Special Features:
- Great soupOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/3/2013Fried tofu adequate (had better ). Spring rolls excellent. Tofu pad Thai very nice. Miso soup excellent. Service good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent Thai FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/16/2013The menu is sort of Thai / Chinese hybrid. I was surprised that the restaurant does not supply complementary ginger salad and Tom Yum soup, as I am accustomed to most Thai places serving these. However, we ordered the bowl of soup, and it was plenty enough to share with 3 to 4 people. The Tom Kha Kai (coconut base) was delicious! We ordered 2 dinners - Pad Khee Mao and Rama chicken, and we had more than enough food for 3 people. I felt the Pad Khee Mao (crazy noodle) was pretty average, but the peanut sauce on the Rama chicken was awesome! I would likely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodbzdrDined on 7/4/2013Pretty good thai food and above average presentation and decor. They were somewhat slow, considering we were the only guests, (especially taking the order and bringing the check, not the cooking process). Overall good experience though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/22/2013Reviews on Opentable were glowing about Amarit, & being Thai food fans, we looked forward to giving it a try. The appetizers (summer rolls) & meals were terrible. I chose the chicken cashew dish, which I expected to be quite spicy (not at all). The chicken was tasteless & looked boiled, so I ate the best part - the cashews - for dinner. The summer rolls were supposed to have meat in them, but they arrived as no more than shredded lettuce & carrots rolled in rice paper (and falling apart). I'd like to know if the reviewers who gave this restaurant and food 4 and 5 stars really know what Thai food should taste like. I would not recommend this restaurant.
- Consistent ThaiAnonymousVIPDined on 6/6/2013Amarit is a consistently good spot for Thai food near my home. It is very inexpensive and the service is friendly. The menu is extensive and offers something for everyone. It is a great spot for a quick, casual meal with friends.I would recommend this to a friend.
- About what one would expectmbnobleVIPDined on 5/17/2013Even though the many of the dishes have vegetables, this restaurant is not recommended for vegetarians. Hardly any gluten free options. Some ambiguity over the "vegetarian sauce" which clearly tasted like fish-sauce, so not really suitable for vegetarian diets. Server did not have detailed knowledge of these details, and did not seem concerned about it. Dishes were too saucy and about what one would expect of an Asian style place. Nothing inventive or creative. So-so ambiance. Decor a little dated and worn. Good prices, and rather quiet which was appreciated. Also the place was full of diners, but I would have paid more, to get better.
- nicebarryVIPDined on 4/7/2013We where early on a Sunday after the shamrock shuffle, the food was good maybe not as good as my local place but you will not be disappointed.
- The Best Thai Food, Lovely VenueOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/4/2013I've been dining at Amarit Thai since it was at State & Delaware, such fabulous creative food! Kudos to the chef for exquisite spicing/saucing always. No detail is ignored - each dish is beautifully presented and fragrant. The owners are lovely and make every effort to please. My visits have encompassed solo dining, with a large age-diverse family group, groups of friends or with a friend I don't get to see often enough. Pacing of the meal is terrific. I enjoy the thoughtful dining room located in a vintage building especially the gorgeous thriving live plants, very relaxing. It is the only Thai dining experience for me!Special Features:
- outstanding thai food forDougfromSteamboatDined on 3/21/2013outstanding thai food for lunch, a very pleasant surprise. Don't hesitate to book a reservation here.
- A hidden Gem in a big city for ThaiOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/16/2013What a great place for delicious and well prepared thai food. We enjoyed the dinner so much, we went back for the lunch on our last day. Good portions, very flavorful and the service was outstanding. In a quiet area of Chicago just off Congress and a few blocks west of Michigan Ave. Will definitely go here again for Thai food when I return to Chicago!Special Features:
- Great price-conscious restaurantteemusDined on 2/14/2013Great price-conscious restaurant with attentive staff
- It was great food, very simpleOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/19/2013It was great food, very simple and almost "diner" in style. Very reasonable in price.Special Features:
- I really enjoy Thai food andJandBVIPDined on 1/7/2013I really enjoy Thai food and Amarit Thai was very good. My lunch of chicken and steamed broccoli was freshly prepared and delicious. My dining partner found that her green pepper tasted off flavor so she did not eat that part of her meal. Overall, I will return and give the food quality another chance.
- Tried again, Greatly Improved!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/4/2013What a difference! We stopped going to Amerit several years ago when the restaurant seemed to lose its touch. We decided to go again last weekend, and what a difference. The staff was friendlly, the food was great and the decor had changed to a more contemporary setting. We'll go again!Special Features:
- Had the best salmon teriyaki.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2012Had the best salmon teriyaki. Overall, had a great and quiet new years eve dinner.Special Features:
- The food was delicious andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/25/2012The food was delicious and the service was good. I think for the price it is a wonderful restaurant that I would return to.
- Excellent value great food!SueandAlDined on 12/14/2012Excellent authentic Thai. Very reasonable prices. Two drinks each, two appetizers and two entrees for under $50. Would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Very enjoyable time with ourBruceDined on 11/19/2012Very enjoyable time with our friends from the Loop. The pad thai was superb, and the thai spring rolls fantastic.Special Features:
- I got there around 10:30 pmMomoDined on 11/16/2012I got there around 10:30 pm that was my reservation and they tall me that the restaurant close at 11:00 pm, i ask is the kitchen only, and they tall me not, the restaurant,so we left because we did not had time to eat. i will never go again
- Great little restaurantCsantosdrDined on 11/9/2012I love this restaurant. Food and service are great. First place I go when in Chicago! Great for lunch or dinner! The sake martini was great!Special Features:
- We had a very enjoyable time.BruceDined on 11/5/2012We had a very enjoyable time. It was quiet for talking. Rice noodles were delicious. Good place near Loop and LaSalle Metra.Special Features:
- The service was fairly inattentive,UofMNDined on 10/1/2012The service was fairly inattentive, the restaurant smells like smoke, and there is paint peeling off the walls. That said, the food was really good. Good place for take out.
- Unfortunately the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/22/2012Unfortunately the restaurant is located in somewhat of dead zone for weekend traffic, so it was fairly empty. I enjoyed the pad thai and my dining companions seemed to enjoy their entrees as well. The restaurant allowed us to bring wine in even though they served alcohol, which is always nice. Our biggest complaint was the lack of service, especially since there weren't that many people dining that evening. Our waitress just wasn't that attentive and we actually had to grab some of our own table utensils from the serving station. This place would be great for a quick lunch or some take out on the way home from work.Special Features:
- Always love the food here.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/15/2012Always love the food here. We use to go here when you're on state just not. Food is just as good I really enjoy going here I love her pad Thai with tofU, cucumber salad And the spring rollsSpecial Features:
- I don't have anything especiallyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2012I don't have anything especially good to say about my experience here. The place is WAAAAAAAAAY too brightly-lit, it didn't have any style and the food was average for my wife and below-average for me. The service was good. That's all I got for you. I doubt that we'll ever go back with all of the great Thai places here in town to choose from. We were hoping to find a new place to go to closer to our new home in Bronzeville. Oh well.
- Gorgeous authentic Thai offeringsOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/17/2012Tremendous, authentic Thai! I've been eating there for at least 15 years including a move much further from my home to their location...I'd seen them catering at the Thai consulate several years ago. The owners are lovely hospitable people, it is always so nice to see them!.Special Features:
- The food was outstanding.ScooleyDined on 8/16/2012The food was outstanding. The service was amazing. Delicious food, good drinks overall great time.
- Nice restaurant with decentDrJeffDined on 8/4/2012Nice restaurant with decent Thai food, but unfortunately, no standout dishes. I was visiting Chicago and would hope that in a city with as many quality restaurants as this one, there would be better Thai food to be had. On the plus side it was very economical for a downtown restaurant.
- Food was quite good when itGlobetrotterVIPDined on 7/17/2012Food was quite good when it arrived but service was extremely slow and not at all attentive, even though it was early on a weeknight and the restaurant was not crowded. Almost every time we needed something we needed to flag down a server. Literally nothing was proactive. So I would recommend if you are in the Pritner's Row neighborhood and want to grab a light bite before a performance at Jazz Showcase (2 blocks away), but not for a special trip.Special Features:
- The food was well preparedOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/25/2012The food was well prepared and the service was fast and friendly, the portions were ample, prices were moderate. Highly recommended.
- Tasty Food, Right PriceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/2/2012Our group of four were in town for a conference and the concensus was that our dinner at Amarit Thai was both the tastiest and least expensive in four days of dining in that neighborhood. I even liked the food better than the fancy fancy (and spendy!) special occasion dinner my husband and I had in another, more highly ranked restaurant nearby. We did have to wait a long time at our table before our server took a drink order, but as it was Friday night rush and the service was otherwise excellent, we forgave the oversight. Next time we're in the area, this spot will be on our list.Special Features:
- It seemed to be a blend ofOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/18/2012It seemed to be a blend of Chinese and Thai which is not what we were looking for in a Thai restaurant.
- Great food, quiet atmosphere,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2011Great food, quiet atmosphere, friendly staff. would recommend to friends.Special Features: