2162 Larkin Street
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.amarenarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4154470441x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Davide Cogliati
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Entertainment, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant is available also for Private Parties (lunch time) everyday. Please contact us 7 days
in advance for large parties.
Thanks very much.
- Private Party Contact: Paolo Galli 4154470441x
- Special Events: Happy Hour at Amarena Restaurant Every other Thursday from 6.00 to 9.00 let Paolo treat you to a free, traditional Italian Antipasti buffet and a lot of Pasta made with different regional recipes while you sip on a glass of wine, beer from the bar.
A word from Amarena
We are currently closed for remodeling and we will reopen Tuesday 6/9/14. Amarena is a chic, urban neighborhood hideout perfect for dates, a quick bite, or a casual dinner with old friends. Amarena delivers hearty, innovative and skillfully prepared dishes from the first course to the last.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Amarena reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (28)romantic (25)fit for foodies (12)good for groups (9)special occasion (8)notable wine list (6)late-night find (4)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Good food, service and ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014It was a quiet Tuesday at Amarena, but it picked up a little bit when we were leaving. The service was great and they were very attentive to our needs. We were on a double date and 3 out of the 4 dishes were amazing. The gnocchi was the only dish that was not great, as it was bland and really didn't have much taste to it. Overall it was a great dinner and the restaurant is just off the beaten path of polk so it was a great find.Special Features:
- A special placeMediDined on 8/13/2014When visiting San Francisco which we do two to three times a year we always make the trip to Russian Hill for dinner; the food at Amarena is fresh from garden to table, well prepared, and innovative, along with an amazing waitstaff. Don't be dissuaded by the off the beaten path location it clearly is a GEM within the city. Eggplant is always outstanding for a starter, super tasty salads, and the marsala is outstanding; ENJOY!Special Features:
- MessyfrancescaVIPDined on 8/2/2014I love italian and amarena has a nice menu with many italian classics. the staff is italian as well (host and server at least) so I had good hopes. but it turns out to be heavy in general and heavy on cream in particular. the tagliolini with mushrooms were below average. the lasagna was as well. lamb was good even though the sauce was not. we left without dessert. it's a north beach type italian and it's not my thing.
- Great neighborhood spotpinknarfDined on 8/1/2014The ambience was great, evoked a romantic night in Italy! The food was on point--everything tasted delicious. The service was friendly and attentive. I'd definitely recommend!Special Features:
- JHawkDined on 7/21/2014We had a great experience sitting at the bar and the recommendations were spot on. However we went there for meatballs and turns out they removed them from the menu!Special Features:
- Friendly neighborhood bistrodinerdeliteVIPDined on 7/18/2014We enjoyed a lovely beet salad, and lamb chops, that with a bottle of wine hit the spot on a busy day. We recommend Amarena.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, authentic ItalianrachelsfDined on 7/17/2014I took a friend here for her birthday. She studied abroad in Italy, so I was excited to take her out to Italian. She was impressed by the menu, and got the pasta with clams, which she says is very common in Italy but hard to find in America. The food was rich and delicious, and the restaurant was very pleasant.Special Features:
- Authentic but...notOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/28/2014We were greeted by a fabulous host who showed us to our seats. We ordered a bottle of wine and dinner. I had butternut squash ravioli per recommendation of host and my husband had the homemade pasta with the wild boar. The sauce of his dish tasted just like grandmas (who is NOT Italian) and I quickly asked for cracked pepper as there was not very much flavor to my ravioli. Fairly inexpensive but the food wasn't amazing so I guess you get what you pay for.
- Good food, nice quiet mealCateDined on 6/26/2014Food was good- nothing incredible, but certainly tasty. Portions are good size- not too big as in some Italian restaurants. Service was good although it took quite some time to get our check. Have a nice wine selection, but if you're a beer drinker, they only have two not-well-known choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SugarDined on 6/25/2014I love the ambiance ..... The food is generally quite good, though I tend to order the same thing. The service is usually well- paced, Paulo & the servers are very friendly, though it was a little slow the other night. We have taken a group including our grandson & it worked out, but I wouldn't really recommend it as a kids' place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint neighborhood restaurantjasong955Dined on 6/14/2014Went there for dinner with another couple. Ambiance was really nice, noise level was not too loud so could easily hear each other. Food and service were great. Small place, which is also nice.Special Features:
- first time at AmarenaNorthOaks82Dined on 6/13/2014Took my girl here after a comedy show at the Palace of Fine Arts on a friday night, as we both wanted to get away from the heavy north beach crowds. Excellent service, great wine selections, friendly staff, and a nice atmosphere for a quiet romantic dinner. Would definetely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 436 reviews are from the Amarena reviews archive.
- Really great place to dine!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2014Ever since we first discovered this wonderful restaurant, we were drawn to come back - in spite of the difficult parking situation in Russian Hill! The food is outstanding, the welcome and service is superb. Whatever we ever ate there was really, really good.Special Features:
- Rare gem in Russian HillQueenB21VIPDined on 4/23/2014Service, ambiance and culinary delight led by the owner, Paola - what can I say but "fabuloso"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentGScottDined on 4/5/2014I was blown away. I eat at nice places frequently and more and more it seems all facade and very little substance. Amarena had it all and I will certainly be back.Special Features:
- Amarena made my wife's birthday!SoopsDined on 4/4/2014We really enjoyed our experience at Amarena. It was my wife's birthday. Our waitress and the entire wait staff made it special. The food was really good. I'd like to say excellent, but that would be hyperbolic this close to North Beach. Not that I expected it, but they didn't comp the dessert on her birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hand made pasta fresh dailyDTWMDined on 3/25/2014A very solid menu in the Southern Italian tradition. Wild boar, pastas in great sauces, and extensive appetizer list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UninspiredAstyanaxDined on 3/20/2014The osso buco had obviously been cooked days before and was barely warm. The cucumber salad featured huge thick chunks of cucumber. I would not return.
- Neighborhood gemJL8888VIPDined on 3/15/2014Had dinner for a party of 8 on Saturday and we loved everything - food was delicious (seafood fettucine!), service excellent, and the staff was so incredibly kind. Will definitely be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Yummy Dinner SpotAngelaDined on 3/15/2014I really enjoyed my pasta dish and the service and ambiance are good. Wine wine and a shared salad it was a bit more expensive than we planned. We'll just have to remember that for next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/14/2014Something different from the current trend of bare-bones, wooden tabletops, and formulaic service restaurants in the polk street/russian hill neighborhood. White linen and moderate noise level allow for conversation at the table without resorting to shouting. Service was very good with entire wait staff making sure that water was filled and dishes brought out in a timely fashion. The housemade pasta was excellent. The tiramisu was also excellent and served in a slightly different way with additional espresso on the side. Will certainly return if I want a relaxed place to eat and converse with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good overall!ValUVIPDined on 3/11/2014The portabello mushroom appetizer was amazing. It was the star of the show despite the two other yummy meals I shared with a friend.Special Features:
- Amazing Italian spot, close to homeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/4/2014The food was delicious. From the wine to dessert, unbelievable.Special Features:
- Ok if you live in the neighborhoodKevinDined on 3/1/2014Everything was "ok" but nothing was so good that I'd go back. Food was fine, but not a big menu. Service was slow and not so friendly - we got no welcome or told of specials, just "are you ready to order". Kinda pricey for the portion size. If I lived in this neighborhood I'd maybe go a couple times a year, but not worth a drive from elsewhere in the city or out of the city. The Bruschetta appetizer was good but only 3 teeny little pieces of bread.Special Features:
- Great food- spotty servicetinkVIPDined on 2/21/2014I have eaten here many times- I keep going back for the great pastas and sangria. Speed is not their strong point, which is ok, a nice lingering dinner is lovely. Yet the service we experienced this weekend was abysmal. Drinks didn't come out for 20 minutes, our order wasn't taken for another 10-15, and we waited well over an hour for the actual food. (all 4 orders were just pasta!) The waiter had the audacity to drop by after we had been sipping the SAME drinks for 30 minutes to ask how everything was?? We had NO food and no refills. We watched adjacent tables start and finish meals while we waited. He had clearly forgotten to fire our order, and did not have the confidence to rectify the situation appropriately. So disappointed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great Meal at Amarena!RmainzDined on 2/14/2014Went to Amarena for Valentines and the fixed meal was perfect. Awesome food, great service....love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't appreciate prices not beingClearDined on 2/14/2014...listed and then a $210 bill... I'd recommend going elsewhere if you are planning to spendSpecial Features:
- Valenitines day dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014We frequent this restaurant and usually love it but our valentines day dinner was terrible. Awful food with the pre - fixe menu and way more tables than normal. Very dissppinting valentines day dinner.Special Features:
- We went on valentines dayMarclikes2eatVIPDined on 2/14/2014We went on valentines day and they had a set menu -it was good but the pasta and main courses arrived luke warm. The food was good but not worth the 85 per person. The service was excellent.Special Features:
- Love this place!FoodyVIPDined on 2/8/2014The food, the waitress, the owner are all exceptional for a neighborhood spot. Parking can be a challenge so if you can walk or take UBER - that's your best bet. But the owner was terrific and helped us find a spot -- so all in all a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real 'Keeper'judithVIPDined on 1/28/2014We took a friend with us and all three had different dishes, all of which were beautifully presented and absolutely delicious. We will definitely return and send anyone who wants a taste of Italy in a place that let's one feel like they are right in a Tuscan or Umbrian village restaurant run by a chef who would be 5 star if s/he were in SF!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot!AustinDined on 1/23/2014Great neighborhood spot, excellent food and nice atmosphere. Would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice to encounter a restaurantJeniJSFDined on 1/19/2014Nice to encounter a restaurant participating in "Dine About Town" (Jan. 2014) with very appealing choices for each course. Food was well prepared, nicely seasoned, with yummy flavors throughout. Quite busy for a Sunday evening, which may have accounted for longer wait for the entrees to arrive after the first course. Overall, lively neighborhood place with warm colors and feeling, good selections and reasonable prices on most items. Hadn't been in quite awhile, but plan to go back soon. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!SanneHVIPDined on 1/18/2014We tried this restaurant thru the 'Dine about Town' initiative and were absolutely wow-ed away. Cute small simple place. Impressive wine list. The best had still to come: the food. The Dine about Town menu was a selection of their regular menu and had THE best and freshest burrata we had in the SF Bay Area. The other starter was the beet salad with nuts and spinach which was incredibly fresh with an exceptional dressing making it a very healthy, tasty enjoyable dish. Beautiful colors as well. One of our main dishes I can't not tell about was the butternut squash ravioli, OMG! THE softest you'll have and sooo tasty. Desserts were gorgeous too. All in all one of the better Italian places we got to know in SF. A true pleasure to dine here.Special Features:
- A Romantic evening at AmarenaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/15/2014We spent my husbands 50'th birthday at Amarena for dinner. It was a fabulous choice. We brought our 1 1/2 year old who was probably a bit too noisy but the owner was very sweet to us regardless. Salmon is a favorite dish for me and the salmon at Amarena may be the freshest and best I have ever tasted. There were these roasted strips of potato or parsnip laid under the salmon that added a delicate sweetness and texture, making the dish fondly memorable too. The porcini mushroom appetizer that my husband ordered on creamy polenta cries out for mention. Yummy! Remember to try the amarenas (cherries in syrup) because they are like sugary kisses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian on Russian HillSFOtoNYCtravellerDined on 1/10/2014This is a lovely Italian restaurant. Nice classic Italian starters and awesome pastas. My favorite Italian so far in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So charming!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/1/2014I love this place. First of all, the food is very authentic and delicious! It also has a very charming and cosy atmosphere that's great for a catch-up with friends or a date. The staff is super nice and friendly (and Italian!). Great spot - check it out.Special Features:
- Great food, great service!!RmainzDined on 12/30/2013I LOVE THIS RESTAURANT!!! As my wife said " you walk in and it smells like Italy!!..." More importantly it taste like Italy. And the service is great too... The ones we love the best are; waiter (Tario) and waitresses (Giada, Nicola).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tucked AwayJimLDined on 12/27/2013Located on a quiet corner in Russian Hill area, Amarena was exactly what we where looking for. We had early reservations (6pm) and were just the second table of diners, but by the time we left the restaurant was full. The service was excellent until the rush came and we had a wait for the desert menu. That proved to be worthwhile for the Crème Brulee was as good as I've tasted anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little Gem on Russian HillAnne1234Dined on 12/20/2013I love this place; it has been a favorite for years. Friendly, unpretentious, neighborhood gem, but perfect for a special occasion. Always feel welcomed and the food is never disappointing. Recommend.Special Features: