21 E. 62nd St.
New York, NJ 10065Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.amaranthrestaurant.com/index.php
- Phone: 2129806700
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Monday: 12:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Amaranth
Amaranth is located just off Madison Avenue on 62nd Street , between Fifth Avenue and Madison Avenue, in the heart of the most famous shopping strip of the Upper East Side of Manhattan and few steps from Central Park. We credit our success to a very honest approach to Mediterranean cuisine: a fusion of original Italian food and French food, great hospitality and the highest quality of ingredients that we use in our recipes. A large portion of specialty items that we serve are imported from Italy and France. Our famous Focaccia Robiola, our super fresh and tasty Seafood, creative Pasta and perfectly al dente Risotto, have attracted a dedicated fan base of New Yorkers, Europeans and celebrities, who are looking for a home away from home. Our Mediterranean Bistro has a really charming terrace during the warm season, where you can taste our delicious food or enjoy a cocktail (try our famous Frozen Cosmo!) before dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Amaranth reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (46)great for lunch (27)great for outdoor dining (24)fit for foodies (13)hot spot (13)romantic (12)special occasion (12)great for brunch (11)good for groups (6)notable wine list (4)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Excellent dinner for four!EsmereldaDined on 10/16/2014My ex-husband and two college-age daughters had a totally perfect dinner at Amaranth late Thursday night. Everything was delicious, and not one morsel of food was left uneaten. I have had many excellent lunches at Amaranth with friends, and have had only positive experiences. As a non-meat eater, I'm particularly fond of the tuna tartare, which is perfect for lunch. We shared that, the excellent branzino, and the delicious lobster salad and lemon sole, which were specials. The warm chocolate cake for dessert was as yummy as always. We ate outdoors, as it was still warm and pleasant, and that option is also a plus. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/15/2014We have been going here for years, and it never lets us down. Sort of an Italian bistro, I think it is the best steak tartare in town with great frites, the pastas are excellent, and, the other night, we had curries, which were very tasty. Nice wine list. Very European vibe. Most fun at around 10.00p for dinner with the Euro stars.Special Features:
- lovely eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014Great food and service. Always a pleasant experience at Amaranth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice experiencealsjDined on 10/10/2014friday night packed. waited almost 1 one hour to be seated, even with reservation. but nothing that a glass of moet doesn't cure. nice service, good food (they sent my fritto misto to another table), short wine list, and an spectacular scallops. To finish, a touch of Tuscany with a Vin Santo with cantuccini. I wil be back !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always goodChowVIPDined on 9/30/2014We waited a little bit over our reservation, but no problem. Good staff good food.Special Features:
- Intolerable Noise LevelaNYCdailydinerDined on 9/30/2014Could not enjoy the food because of extreme ear-splitting noise inside the restaurant. Could not carry on any meaningful conversation. Had to shout to hear each other across a small table. We left Amaranth with raspy voices from straining to talk. Skipped dessert because we couldn't wait to leave; our nerves were rattled. The buses and taxis on the street outside were a soothing symphony in comparison with Amaranth's dining room. The food was good but, because of the noise, we will NEVER dine there again!
- Outstanding...again!ME4CDined on 9/20/2014This is our go-to spot when in from the Left Coast. It's a destination that instantly transforms you into a native New Yorker. The chic East Side neighbor and consistently turned out menu is topped only by the great people watching and discrete but attentive service. Amen Amaranth!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDavidVIPDined on 9/17/2014We go there at least twice a week. everything right. Noise level a bit too much, otherwise ideal for quick efficient service, consistent good dishes and interesting ambience. DavidSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DuckyVIPDined on 9/12/2014We were ignored at the door for 5 minutes. When finally greeted, they couldn't find our reservation. Finally found it and then continued to ignore us. An attractive couple behind us, who did not have a reservation, was seated cordially. There were no more empty tables and the wait looked to be interminable. This is one of those places where, if they don't know you, you are invisible! We turned around and left!!
- CityGirl1VIPDined on 9/11/2014Fun place for lunch near 57th street and 5th avenue.Special Features:
- My Favorite When on MadisonGoudadeanVIPDined on 9/10/2014Always enjoy this restaurant. However, it is even better now that the clientele has changed from a "euro-trash" crowd to a normal crowd.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014What a spectacular neighborhood hotspot. Delicious food, great service, and a fun atmosphere. What more could one ask for!Special Features:
- Said enoughDavidVIPDined on 9/4/2014You are making it to tough to write a review Too demandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must have been an off night...citycDined on 9/2/2014Always fun, but the service this time was impossibly slow. Almost an hour before we ordered. Fortunately the ambience was lively and the food, when it arrived, was pretty good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NancVIPDined on 9/1/2014service was a little slow - would have appreciated a little more attention. the food was excellent - very european feelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good spotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014Excellent quality Italian food. Kids loved it too. Tuna tartare spectacular and so the home made pappardelleSpecial Features:
- Birthday Dinningswisstraveler74Dined on 8/18/2014The food and wine are good. The restaurant was very noisy. The staff seemed a little overwhelmed with the many guests and was not overly friendly. We got the dessert card after the appetizer before our main course was brought.Special Features:
- Enjoyable !athenaVIPDined on 8/16/2014Great neighborhood restaurant. Zucchini carpaccio delish Beef Fillet thinly sliced with arrugulla and parm perfect portion size. All 4 of us had something different everything fresh, and no complaints . Service was good. It looked a little slow for a Saturday but that was to our advantage because we could here each other.I would recommend this to a friend.
- mkmkVIPDined on 8/9/2014Overrated with unfriendly host/waiters. Food is marginal.
- My favorite luch placemimiVIPDined on 8/8/2014We always go there for lunch. It has a great, South of France type menu. Fresh fish, excellent pasta, hearty salads, good wine list. The food is fresh, not overly sauced, & delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Europe in New YorkhappydinerDined on 8/5/2014Perfect for good food, good talk, good atmosphere!Special Features:
- Always pleasantCHMJRVIPDined on 8/3/2014This place is truly a neighborhood gem. Staff always friendly; food consistent; atmosphere New York at its best. Don't walk by , try it.Special Features:
- Food and service was poor.WOWWVIPDined on 7/31/2014The service was quite poor. The women who was the hostess was also our server. She had no personality and was in-attentive. I ordered the halibut with a wine wine sauce. It was over salted and made the dish somewhat inedible. The gazpacho had no flavor. I would not recommend this restaurant.
- Unfriendly and expensiveEatprayloveDined on 7/28/2014I would not go back to Amaranth. The maitre'd is rude like all of the reviews have already said. Our waiter was okay, but the food was overpriced for the quality and portion. There are much better options in NYC than this restaurant. The birthday sparklers and singing are nice, but the unwelcoming atmosphere and below par food make it a no-go in my book.
- Neighborhood gemAnniedDined on 7/24/2014Really nice place to eat on the Upper East side, definitely a local favorite... No tourists. The food was great, the service attentive.. Not giving 5 stars due to high noise level and though we requested outdoor seating we were immediately shown to the back of the restaurant with no acknowledgment or apology that our request could not be honored. Overall great experience though and I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekLDuganVIPDined on 7/24/2014This is a great neighborhood restaurant that is well over solicited and yet the service never seems to shine. Food is consistent and atmosphere is warm and intimate. Too bad also they did not to participate in restaurant week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!DineoutDined on 7/20/2014Food was prepared well. The restaurant is very accommodating when asked to adjust menu choices to taste. Will return often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- over priced poor food and serviceNYCFoodieDined on 7/16/2014Tuna and lentils was awful. Tuna thin and cold and tiny. Service awful. Manager was put off that we inquired about our drinks for the third time amd most of.the time talking to.his buddies outside on the sidewalk. Place is awful.
- Good food in a quit settingPietvGDined on 7/6/2014Amaranth servers good food in a quit setting. Just aside 5th av NYC tou can have a relaxing lunch, brunch or dinnner without the busy scene of NYC all around you. The food is of an excellent quality Italian style. This is the second time I had lunch there and the next time I am in NYC (i am for Europe, The Netherlands), I will for sure have lunch or dinner ther.Special Features:
- Horriblelove2goVIPDined on 7/1/2014Roberto was rude.....left us standing for 15 minutes and didn't want to seat us . Said he couldn't find our reservation. We finally left after receiving very shabby treatment. If you aren't regulars don't bother to go. The restaurant is hot, noisy, with mediocre food. It's in my neighborhood so I went for convenience. There are wonderful restaurants in NYC , why expose yourself to bad treatment.
- GreenEaterDined on 7/1/2014A neighborhood gem with nice salads and a delightful ambiance. A great lunch spot in the East 60s.Special Features:
- noisy restaurantmonicaDined on 6/23/2014The food is very good, the ambiance is good, but people talk in high volume .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 26 reviews are from the Amaranth reviews archive.
- Birthday CelebrationSartor6Dined on 6/17/2014We wanted an outdoor table, but those tables even on a Tuesday evening are hard to come by. The service was good, but not as welcoming as it might have been...It was a pretty busy night. But food was delicious; we were all pleased with our selections. And the atmosphere, though noisy, was very festive and quite suitable for a celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/11/2014Loved everything--the Lemon sole was superb! Service was great
- MaddogVIPDined on 5/28/2014Food and service are consistently good here. I wouldn't say it's young and hip but elegant and energetic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieVIPDined on 5/21/2014Food and atmosphere are good, but marred by very poor service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmaranthDined on 5/20/2014My husband and I were impressed with the immediate attention we received when the restaurant was very busy. They sat us immediately. THe food was wonderful and the atmosphere very lively.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for romantic lunchoyfyjeDined on 5/13/2014We had our first visit to Amaranth for late lunch. The staff were at tentative and the service was OK, but not outstanding. The food (Seafood/Lobster salad and Angel Hair Pasta with seafood) was nice, but to our opinion a bit "flat" or "tasteless". However, the total experience was good and we would come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BeantownAlumnasVIPDined on 5/11/2014Loved the branzino and salmon. Disliked that we were seated literally right by the entrance. Maître d's attitude could definitely improve as he could be more polite than dismissive. Liked how they had the silly birthday music and would bring out the dessert. Would definitely go back to try out more food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rich and famousBamboo83Dined on 5/8/2014You can see rich and famous people at that place. But you do not have to be one to be treated like them! It is always with great pleasure that we come back to that place that is one of our favorite in Manhattan.Special Features: