Amalfi Ristorante Italiano
12307 Wilkins Ave.
Rockville, DC 20852Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Amalfi Ristorante Italiano
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.amalfirockville.com/
- Phone: (301) 770-7888
- Hours of Operation:
Tues - Thurs: Lunch 11am - 2pm & Dinner 5pm - 9pm
Friday: Lunch 11am - 2pm & Dinner 5pm - 10pm
Saturday: Dinner 1:30pm - 10pm
Sunday: Dinner 1:30pm - 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Italian, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Moe Jr.
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Amalfi Ristorante Italiano
Established in 1977 Amalfi is a True Family Owned & Operated Restaurant. We offer dishes from both northern and southern Italy. We also have extensive Gluten Free and Vegetarian options along with a few Vegan options as well. With everything being made from scratch to order we can please any customer. We take pride in doing all the work ourselves and strive to have the very best restaurant in town. Moe Jr. is the head chef, John serves tables, Teresa hosts and Moe Sr. overlooks the operation. Moe Sr. and Teresa started Amalfi over 36 years ago and now the two sons are in control and have taken Amalfi to the next level. We have now upgraded all of our meats to all natural products. From all natural chicken to milk fed veal, even our sausage is all natural. The majority of our meals are now made to order to ensure optimal freshness and quality. Come in and see why they say, "Once you visit Amalfi you may never leave!"Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Amalfi Ristorante Italiano - Best Restaurants in Rockville ›
Amalfi Ristorante Italiano reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (62)special occasion (36)good for groups (35)fit for foodies (32)kid-friendly (31)great for lunch (28)romantic (27)hot spot (18)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Good foodRowdaddyVIPDined on 11/22/2014This was our first time at Amalfia. The service was very good as was the food, the only thing I did not like was the heavy traffic that was going by our table. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodIrnieVIPDined on 11/21/2014We have been dining at Amalfi for more than 30 years. Food has always been a treat. Great "appetizer" is white pizza with cheese with a side of red sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservations don't mean a thingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/21/2014We had a 7pm reservation but did not get seated at 7:30pm. They seated several people in front of us who came in after us. Owner said it was because they're reservations were a "few minutes before ours" but in reality it was because they were regualrs. This is a small family run business which I appreciate. However, on a busy Friday night, seating needs to be done in a fair manner without bias towards their regular patrons. They were busy and the wait staff was out of sorts also. Bread was delivered to other tables around us who were seated after us. Then bread was delivered but we still had no water on the table. Food was decent but nothing to rave about. Owner apologized to us about the wait but actions speak louder than words. I will not be returning to this establishment.
- great family restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/16/2014I love amalfi. I wish there were more vegetarian options. otherwise this is authentic and cozy. great family night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently the best with everything they offermarkDined on 11/14/2014This place is amazing. Their Italian food is number one, best I have ever had but they have proven that they can provide not only the best Italian food in the area but now the very best steak I have ever eaten. I ordered the Wagyu steak on Friday night and OH My God, it was so good and tender it melted in my mouth. Their steak put places like Ruth Chris and Mortons to shame. Well done guys!! As always, the service here is second to none and once again John, one of the owners, went above and beyond. If you have not tasted Amalfi's food, you have not tasted great food yet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian food done rightHowriteIamDined on 11/14/2014Amalfi's had fallen off our radar for many years - and it was nice to discover that it was even better than we had remembered. Our server was personable and knowledgable (explaining that ingredients are locally sourced), and everyone in our party thoroughly enjoyed their entrees and desserts. We'll definitely return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An unexpected surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014Went in for lunch today with their crab cake special in mind but then the server started talking about the Chilean seabass special and yeah what an unexpected surprise. The fish was so tender and buttery that it just melted in my mouth. Wasn't even thinking about ordering fish today but I'm very glad I did. Has to be some of the best fish I've ever had before. Since I was getting fish for my main I opted for their meatball appetizer and it was very good. The meatballs were juicy and the sauce it came over was a perfect compliment for them. For dessert I got the tarftufo or however it's spelled. Not only was it delicious but what a beautiful presentation. What can I say but 5 stars all around Amalfi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nobody does fish betterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014Had the Chilean Sea Bass and it was amazing. The fish was absolutely cooked to perfection in a this delicious lemon sauce that I'm still dreaming about. I thought the Halibut special was great but the Sea Bass was even better. Had the Pomegranate salad to start and just like all their specialty salads it was so refreshingly tasty. If you love pomegranate like I do then you need to try this salad. No room for dessert, the food was too good to save any space. Bravo Amalfi for another amazing meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old school rulesRobobobVIPDined on 11/2/2014The restaurant gives every appearance of being an ancient spaghetti joint that once stood boldly along the main road, before they rerouted the world and buried it in warehouses and parking lots. Great old-world charm. Food? Excellent appetizers, decent salads, entrees tried & true. You can't really go exotic or high-end gourmet on the menu, but neither can you go wrong with solid, classic Italian preparations. The wine list is only adequate, but this is not $120 Cab turf, anyway. Amalfi is a place to gather with family and friends at a reasonable price and very good cuisine. I shall return.Special Features:
- IdonthaveoneDined on 10/31/2014With the recent renovation it is lighter, brighter, and altogether pleasant. And, food has gone up a notch also.Special Features:
- Lovely EstablishmentRockvilleVeggieDined on 10/24/2014Amalfi’s is tucked away in a corner where you wouldn’t expect to find such outstanding food and service. The food is delicious and the staff is exceptional. With advance notice they can accommodate special requests and as we’re a vegan/vegetarian couple, we very much appreciate this gracious flexibility. It’s always easy to spot the regulars during our visits to Amalfi’s through their warm exchanges with the staff. A charming homey place that’s sure to please!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in all categoriesmarkDined on 10/24/2014Went to this restaurant on a very busy Friday night but you would never know they were so busy because the staff treat you like you are the only person in the place, from the very warm reception at the front door when I walked in from one of the owners to my waiter John who was oh so friendly and helpful with my selections to the bus staff who was so attentive. When it comes to the food it is second to none and I had an appetizer, entree, and dessert and they were all unbelievably fresh, so tasteful, with huge portion sizes. Lastly, the prices here are so reasonable for the quality and quantity of the food you get. This place should be rated NUMBER 1!!!Special Features:
- Authentic Italian Family-run GemRebaVIPDined on 10/24/2014Been coming here since they opened in 1977. Always wonderful! Try the white pizza with cheese for an appetizer for the table.Special Features:
- Best Quality Ingredients in TownOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014On my last visit I was informed that Amalfi has started to getting all of their meats from local farms. I didn't think I'd be able to tell the difference because their food was already awesome but I definitely could. The chicken especially was out of this world. So big, plump and juicy with each bite melting in my mouth. Hands down the best quality of chicken I think I've ever tasted in my life. There is just no other restaurant I know of which such high quality ingredients at such an affordable price. Love this place, enough said...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amalfi just makes me smile :)OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014There has to be something said for a restaurant with such amazing and consistent food run by the friendliest people in the restaurant business. I've never had a bad meal here and have always been treated with such respect and kindness. I've come so many times now that all the staff knows my husband and me by name but it doesn't take more than five minutes into your first visit for you to see how much pride they take in their work and how much they truly care about your experience. For dinner my husband had the chicken saltimbucho(I know I spelled this wrong) and it was simply amazing. The chicken so tender with the deliciously salty prosciutto on top, so good. I got the eggplant parm because it has always been the best and still is :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for everyoneNahimeanDined on 10/21/2014The best part about Amalfi is that it's like two restaurants in one. You can get some great pasta dishes like lasagna and carbonara(one of my favorites) and not break the bank. Yeah the pasta dishes don't have that top chef feel or look but they are always flavorful and delicious. Or you can splurge and get some of their killer specials like their crabcake(best in town), wild Alaskan halibut or even their steak(when they have it). Yeah they are far more expensive than your pasta dishes but they are worth it. Those dishes do have that top chef feel from presentation to taste. Seriously their steak is so good I've been begging for them to add it to their regular menu. Today it was pasta so I went with the tortellini, super tasty :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amalfi DinnerRichGDined on 10/18/2014This restaurant has always been my "go to" choice for a great meal at a reasonable price. Fantastic Italian food and friendly, prompt service. The white pizza is a favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inaccurate Reviews!SpikeVIPDined on 10/18/2014Pleasant. Decent noise level. Clean. Food was fair to good--ingredients fresh. Carafe wine decent. Service: tried to please. However, by no stretch of the imagination is this a 4 star restaurant if your judgement is based on the quality of the cooking--it was good but not worth the drive or the expense. Will not return. We were there on a Saturday night.
- Consistently GoodHappyDinerDined on 10/14/2014One of our favorite restaurants. The food is always good, the staff is friendly and helpful, and the noise level is low enough so that we can have a conversation without shouting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbelievable crab cakes !!!markDined on 10/10/2014I have been coming to Amalfi for years because they serve the very best Italian food I have ever tasted but who would think that an Italian restaurant could cook good crab cakes? Well, this Italian restaurant can. Not only are their crab cakes good, they are FANTASTIC!!! Best I have ever had and the crispy asparagus that comes with these cakes are out of this world. You also get a side dish with the cakes and the best sauce for the crab cake that I have ever tasted. They need to bottle and sell this sauce. As always the service in this place is second to none from the warm greeting I received at the front door to the ever so helpful and friendly waiter/owner, John. You guys rock!!!!Special Features:
- Consistantly deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014Another week at Amalfi and another great meal. Got the crab cake again because it was so delicious last time and again it was cooked to perfection. My wife got the wild salmon which she absolutely loved. The fried calamari as an appetizer was so tender it melted in your mouth. The server said they get in fresh and you can taste it. Best calamari I've ever had! Either everyone else is serving frozen calamari or they just can't cook because I've never had such tender yet crispy calamari. Thanks again for another great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasing Neighborhood ItalianLPG1VIPDined on 9/28/2014We hadn't eaten in Amalfi in many years and were delighted with the updated menu and the opportunity to select from many appealing-sounding dishes. I especially enjoyed a date & arugula salad that was lightly dressed with a lemony vinaigrette unlike with so many restaurants these days that drown their salads in dressing. The homey pasta fagioli soup was satisfying though a bit heavy on the pasta. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our "go to" spot !OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 9/26/2014We have been going to Amalfi's for years - literally about 15 years. We try to get there several times a month because we always know the meal will be delicious and the prices and service are consistently good. Their location is a bit hidden but it adds to the charm! The menu is great with a variety of offerings. Always note the specials and if they are not Italian - it's ok - Amalfi's does an amazing job with items like crab cakes and steak also! Had the crab cake recently and it was Awesome. The kale salad, white pizza, ossobuco, and fish specials are among our favorites. If you haven't been you need to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best CRAB CAKE ever!!!markDined on 9/26/2014Who would expect that this wonderful Italian restaurant in Rockville would have the best crab cake I have ever tasted, and I have been to many of the finest seafood restaurants in Baltimore and Annapolis. Not only was the crab cake out of this world delicious but I started my meal off with butternut squash soup with crab and asparagus and this soup is so delicious that I had to come back the next day to get the same meal. This place is amazing. I already knew this restaurant had the best Italian food in the area and now they have gone one step further providing the best seafood meal I have ever had. Combine all of this with the best service I have ever experienced and you have one winning combination. Bravo Amalfi!!!Special Features:
- Amazing Crabcake!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014I really didn't want to order the crabcake. I came into Amalfi with fish on my mind. I even saw that amazing Halibut on specials that I'd had before. I was set on getting it again but the server kept pushing the crabcake. Against all better judgment I decided to pass on one of the best fish specials I've had anywhere and try the crabcake. Thankfully I was adventurous because it was amazing. I've gotten crabcakes in Annapolis and in Baltimore and was sure that I was going to be disappointed. Well, I don't admit I'm wrong too often but this time I'll gladly admit it. I was wrong and Amalfi was right. That was without a doubt the best crabcake I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Crab CakeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014Went on weekday night and was sat quickly. Server was super nice and knew everything. Talked us into trying crab cake even though we were both very skeptical about crab cakes at an Italian restaurant. Thankfully because it was definitely the best crab cake we've ever had. Crab tasted super fresh and it was harder to find filling than actual crab. Tortoni dessert was great way to finish meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amalfi does it againOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014As promised I returned to Amalfi to try their Crab Cake and well... Unbelievable!!! I cannot believe that a small Italian joint on wilkins avenue has the best crab cakes I've ever had. Are you kidding me! I was sure that this time Amalfi would not live up to the hype. I've had crab cakes in so many places and have almost always been disappointed but not anymore. Way to go Amalfi, I'll never underestimate you again. Unfortunately they only serve them on Wednesdays and Thursdays so I have to make sure to show up at least once a month on a crab cake night. Crab Cake Challenge Passed!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than EverOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/13/2014My son turned 14 and he picked Amalfi, which has always been one of our family favorites. I had the halibut which was amazing - Cooked perfectly. My husband and son both had the old fashioned spaghetti with meatballs with their traditional Italian meat sauce. They said it was one of the best they have ever had at Amalfi. The meatballs were very tender. Thanks to John and family for the extra special service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you haven't been you must go!!markDined on 9/12/2014If you haven't been to Amalfi you must go because it is the best restaurant in the DC area. I went on Friday and was greeted at the door like I was an old friend by one of the owners (the mother). All the wait staff looked like they really enjoy their jobs and it showed on all the patrons faces, they all looked so happy. The food was out of this world and you could tell it was all freshly made and prepared. FANTASTIC! My waiter, John (one of the owners), was so pleasant, cheery, and helpful, and mentioned a new desert his brother (the chef) started offering, spumoni. Based on the description I knew I had to save room for the spumoni and I was so glad I did. Wow, this was by far the best desert I have ever had at a restaurant.Special Features:
- Best Halibut I've ever hadOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014This place is great. I ordered their famous white pizza and I see why it's famous because it's absolutely delicious. The homemade bread is a perfect way to start, the onion bread especially was great. As I said the Halibut was the best I've ever had. What a generous serving of a perfectly cooked fish. I hope they have it a lot because I would definitely get it again and again. My wife had the crabmeat special which she loved. The server told us that next week they are making a crab cake special so I'll be going back this week to try that. Their food is great and one thing I know is that there are currently no good crab cakes in this area. Stay tuned to see if they pass my crab cake test because I will definitely write another reviewSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why haven't I been here before?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014I've lived here for 20 years and I've never been to Amalfi before tonight, oh the regret. Just to think of how much money I've wasted in other mediocre Italian restaurants. Not anymore, I've found my new spot. The family running the place were awesome and son talked so good about the food we ended up ordering way more food than we needed, gotta love leftovers. I went with a buddy and we shared everything and let me tell you that not one thing wasn't delicious. The white pizza was super tasty and the best I've had and their meatball appetizer was juicy and flavorful. Their pear salad was lemony deliciousness. Then there was the Maryland crabmeat special, you could taste the freshness of the crab. Lastly, chicken saltimbocca = Winner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Pleasure!RandyVIPDined on 9/6/2014Amalfi has become a go-to standard for us. It's convenient and enjoyable. The spumoni special dessert was outstanding...not something many Italian restaurants even carry. John, the owner's son provides outstanding, friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014I've been eating at Amalfi for years and I've never had a bad meal. This is the first time I used opentable and it was just because of Amalfi. They are getting so busy these days it's just easier to make a reservation. The last three times I just walked in I ended up waiting close to 40 minutes but this time with a reservation I was sat immediately. My husband had the Golden Beet salad and even though I don't like beets I loved this salad. The dressing was so delicious that next time I would order it for myself. I tried their Sautéed Kale and it was so light and tasty. For entrees we had the Shrimp Parm (I didn't know shrimp got that big) and the Maryland Crabmeat Linguine (talk about a big portion of crabmeat). Absolute perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little taste of heavenNahimeanDined on 8/27/2014Absolutely freakin' amazing!!! For drinks my girlfriend ordered the new Tropical Punch cocktail which she was raving about and I got their new wine "The Prisoner" because the server recommended it and the name is awesome. Worth every penny of the 85 dollars, may be my favorite red wine ever. For apps we shared the Crispy Canalloni(?) over an alfredo sauce which was just so damn tasty and the tomato mozzarella which again is the best I've had, seriously they should bottle the dressing and sell it at Whole Foods. For entrées we shared the Shrimp Garlic and the Sausage & Peppers, classic entrees just done perfectly. I love that I can keep ordering different things and still never leave with regret. And the homemade Spumoni, uh... Wow!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MeamsDined on 8/23/2014We hadn't been back to this restaurant in years. That was our mistake. The food was basic Italian food that all of our 10 people enjoyed. The staff was friendly and service was very good.. We could carry on conversations with everyone which we could not have done in most of the new restauraurants that we go to. We will be back again with our friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as alwaysRebaVIPDined on 8/19/2014A family run restaurant which makes you feel like you're part of the family. The food is excellent. The service is too. John greeted us at we walked in and welcomed us in. It only got better from there. If you like soft shell crabs, go soon. The season is coming to an end. I had tortolinni with mushroom cream sauce. Every bite is delicious.Special Features:
- consistently good ItalianbriefreviewsnodotcomVIPDined on 8/19/2014the chef(s) remain adept at preparing fresh fish and other seafood. Management is getting more adventurous with the focacio since we were last there. When my adult children return to this area Amalfi's is always a must have for the white pizza and soft shells in the summer. So nice to know about a local restaurant with consistently good food over many many years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amalfi ReviewlikeamalfiDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I have dined at Amalfi many times. We like the food, the environment, and the service. I recently had the lasagna which was very good. My wife had veal marsala which she very much liked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint Neighborhood gemngrace77Dined on 8/10/2014This cozy restaurant recently changed ownership and everything has become crisp with some of the same familiar faces and customs. If you are looking for a place for a nice meal together with friends, make sure to use open table to make a reservation as they are often booked. The food is good with lots of variety and vegetables. It is a favorite of young and old alike.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- real ItalianIntrepidFromDCDined on 8/5/2014We had clams appetizer, clams in linguine with white sauce and veal. The veal was very good. The clams in linguine was among the best I've ever had in the US. It took me back to Italy!I would recommend this to a friend.