Amalfi Ristorante Italiano
12307 Wilkins Ave.
Rockville, DC 20852Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Amalfi Ristorante Italiano
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.amalfirockville.com/
- Phone: 3017707888x
- Hours of Operation:
Tues - Thurs: Lunch 11am - 2pm & Dinner 5pm - 9pm
Friday: Lunch 11am - 2pm & Dinner 5pm - 10pm
Saturday: Dinner 1:30pm - 10pm
Sunday: Dinner 1:30pm - 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Italian, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Moe Jr.
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Amalfi Ristorante Italiano
Established in 1977 Amalfi is a True Family Owned & Operated Restaurant. We offer dishes from both northern and southern Italy. We also have extensive Gluten Free and Vegetarian options along with a few Vegan options as well. With everything being made from scratch to order we can please any customer. We take pride in doing all the work ourselves and strive to have the very best restaurant in town. Moe Jr. is the head chef, John serves tables, Teresa hosts and Moe Sr. overlooks the operation. Moe Sr. and Teresa started Amalfi over 36 years ago and now the two sons are in control and have taken Amalfi to the next level. We have now upgraded all of our meats to all natural products. From all natural chicken to milk fed veal, even our sausage is all natural. The majority of our meals are now made to order to ensure optimal freshness and quality. Come in and see why they say, "Once you visit Amalfi you may never leave!"Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Amalfi Ristorante Italiano - Best Restaurants in Rockville ›
Amalfi Ristorante Italiano reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (57)good for groups (33)special occasion (31)fit for foodies (30)kid-friendly (29)romantic (22)great for lunch (21)hot spot (12)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Amalfi just makes me smile :)OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014There has to be something said for a restaurant with such amazing and consistent food run by the friendliest people in the restaurant business. I've never had a bad meal here and have always been treated with such respect and kindness. I've come so many times now that all the staff knows my husband and me by name but it doesn't take more than five minutes into your first visit for you to see how much pride they take in their work and how much they truly care about your experience. For dinner my husband had the chicken saltimbucho(I know I spelled this wrong) and it was simply amazing. The chicken so tender with the deliciously salty prosciutto on top, so good. I got the eggplant parm because it has always been the best and still is :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for everyoneNahimeanDined on 10/21/2014The best part about Amalfi is that it's like two restaurants in one. You can get some great pasta dishes like lasagna and carbonara(one of my favorites) and not break the bank. Yeah the pasta dishes don't have that top chef feel or look but they are always flavorful and delicious. Or you can splurge and get some of their killer specials like their crabcake(best in town), wild Alaskan halibut or even their steak(when they have it). Yeah they are far more expensive than your pasta dishes but they are worth it. Those dishes do have that top chef feel from presentation to taste. Seriously their steak is so good I've been begging for them to add it to their regular menu. Today it was pasta so I went with the tortellini, super tasty :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amalfi DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014This restaurant has always been my "go to" choice for a great meal at a reasonable price. Fantastic Italian food and friendly, prompt service. The white pizza is a favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inaccurate Reviews!SpikeVIPDined on 10/18/2014Pleasant. Decent noise level. Clean. Food was fair to good--ingredients fresh. Carafe wine decent. Service: tried to please. However, by no stretch of the imagination is this a 4 star restaurant if your judgement is based on the quality of the cooking--it was good but not worth the drive or the expense. Will not return. We were there on a Saturday night.
- Consistently GoodHappyDinerDined on 10/14/2014One of our favorite restaurants. The food is always good, the staff is friendly and helpful, and the noise level is low enough so that we can have a conversation without shouting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbelievable crab cakes !!!markDined on 10/10/2014I have been coming to Amalfi for years because they serve the very best Italian food I have ever tasted but who would think that an Italian restaurant could cook good crab cakes? Well, this Italian restaurant can. Not only are their crab cakes good, they are FANTASTIC!!! Best I have ever had and the crispy asparagus that comes with these cakes are out of this world. You also get a side dish with the cakes and the best sauce for the crab cake that I have ever tasted. They need to bottle and sell this sauce. As always the service in this place is second to none from the warm greeting I received at the front door to the ever so helpful and friendly waiter/owner, John. You guys rock!!!!Special Features:
- Consistantly deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014Another week at Amalfi and another great meal. Got the crab cake again because it was so delicious last time and again it was cooked to perfection. My wife got the wild salmon which she absolutely loved. The fried calamari as an appetizer was so tender it melted in your mouth. The server said they get in fresh and you can taste it. Best calamari I've ever had! Either everyone else is serving frozen calamari or they just can't cook because I've never had such tender yet crispy calamari. Thanks again for another great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasing Neighborhood ItalianLPG1VIPDined on 9/28/2014We hadn't eaten in Amalfi in many years and were delighted with the updated menu and the opportunity to select from many appealing-sounding dishes. I especially enjoyed a date & arugula salad that was lightly dressed with a lemony vinaigrette unlike with so many restaurants these days that drown their salads in dressing. The homey pasta fagioli soup was satisfying though a bit heavy on the pasta. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our "go to" spot !OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014We have been going to Amalfi's for years - literally about 15 years. We try to get there several times a month because we always know the meal will be delicious and the prices and service are consistently good. Their location is a bit hidden but it adds to the charm! The menu is great with a variety of offerings. Always note the specials and if they are not Italian - it's ok - Amalfi's does an amazing job with items like crab cakes and steak also! Had the crab cake recently and it was Awesome. The kale salad, white pizza, ossobuco, and fish specials are among our favorites. If you haven't been you need to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best CRAB CAKE ever!!!markDined on 9/26/2014Who would expect that this wonderful Italian restaurant in Rockville would have the best crab cake I have ever tasted, and I have been to many of the finest seafood restaurants in Baltimore and Annapolis. Not only was the crab cake out of this world delicious but I started my meal off with butternut squash soup with crab and asparagus and this soup is so delicious that I had to come back the next day to get the same meal. This place is amazing. I already knew this restaurant had the best Italian food in the area and now they have gone one step further providing the best seafood meal I have ever had. Combine all of this with the best service I have ever experienced and you have one winning combination. Bravo Amalfi!!!Special Features:
- Amazing Crabcake!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014I really didn't want to order the crabcake. I came into Amalfi with fish on my mind. I even saw that amazing Halibut on specials that I'd had before. I was set on getting it again but the server kept pushing the crabcake. Against all better judgment I decided to pass on one of the best fish specials I've had anywhere and try the crabcake. Thankfully I was adventurous because it was amazing. I've gotten crabcakes in Annapolis and in Baltimore and was sure that I was going to be disappointed. Well, I don't admit I'm wrong too often but this time I'll gladly admit it. I was wrong and Amalfi was right. That was without a doubt the best crabcake I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Crab CakeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014Went on weekday night and was sat quickly. Server was super nice and knew everything. Talked us into trying crab cake even though we were both very skeptical about crab cakes at an Italian restaurant. Thankfully because it was definitely the best crab cake we've ever had. Crab tasted super fresh and it was harder to find filling than actual crab. Tortoni dessert was great way to finish meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amalfi does it againOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014As promised I returned to Amalfi to try their Crab Cake and well... Unbelievable!!! I cannot believe that a small Italian joint on wilkins avenue has the best crab cakes I've ever had. Are you kidding me! I was sure that this time Amalfi would not live up to the hype. I've had crab cakes in so many places and have almost always been disappointed but not anymore. Way to go Amalfi, I'll never underestimate you again. Unfortunately they only serve them on Wednesdays and Thursdays so I have to make sure to show up at least once a month on a crab cake night. Crab Cake Challenge Passed!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than EverOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/13/2014My son turned 14 and he picked Amalfi, which has always been one of our family favorites. I had the halibut which was amazing - Cooked perfectly. My husband and son both had the old fashioned spaghetti with meatballs with their traditional Italian meat sauce. They said it was one of the best they have ever had at Amalfi. The meatballs were very tender. Thanks to John and family for the extra special service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you haven't been you must go!!markDined on 9/12/2014If you haven't been to Amalfi you must go because it is the best restaurant in the DC area. I went on Friday and was greeted at the door like I was an old friend by one of the owners (the mother). All the wait staff looked like they really enjoy their jobs and it showed on all the patrons faces, they all looked so happy. The food was out of this world and you could tell it was all freshly made and prepared. FANTASTIC! My waiter, John (one of the owners), was so pleasant, cheery, and helpful, and mentioned a new desert his brother (the chef) started offering, spumoni. Based on the description I knew I had to save room for the spumoni and I was so glad I did. Wow, this was by far the best desert I have ever had at a restaurant.Special Features:
- Best Halibut I've ever hadOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014This place is great. I ordered their famous white pizza and I see why it's famous because it's absolutely delicious. The homemade bread is a perfect way to start, the onion bread especially was great. As I said the Halibut was the best I've ever had. What a generous serving of a perfectly cooked fish. I hope they have it a lot because I would definitely get it again and again. My wife had the crabmeat special which she loved. The server told us that next week they are making a crab cake special so I'll be going back this week to try that. Their food is great and one thing I know is that there are currently no good crab cakes in this area. Stay tuned to see if they pass my crab cake test because I will definitely write another reviewSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why haven't I been here before?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014I've lived here for 20 years and I've never been to Amalfi before tonight, oh the regret. Just to think of how much money I've wasted in other mediocre Italian restaurants. Not anymore, I've found my new spot. The family running the place were awesome and son talked so good about the food we ended up ordering way more food than we needed, gotta love leftovers. I went with a buddy and we shared everything and let me tell you that not one thing wasn't delicious. The white pizza was super tasty and the best I've had and their meatball appetizer was juicy and flavorful. Their pear salad was lemony deliciousness. Then there was the Maryland crabmeat special, you could taste the freshness of the crab. Lastly, chicken saltimbocca = Winner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Pleasure!RandyVIPDined on 9/6/2014Amalfi has become a go-to standard for us. It's convenient and enjoyable. The spumoni special dessert was outstanding...not something many Italian restaurants even carry. John, the owner's son provides outstanding, friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014I've been eating at Amalfi for years and I've never had a bad meal. This is the first time I used opentable and it was just because of Amalfi. They are getting so busy these days it's just easier to make a reservation. The last three times I just walked in I ended up waiting close to 40 minutes but this time with a reservation I was sat immediately. My husband had the Golden Beet salad and even though I don't like beets I loved this salad. The dressing was so delicious that next time I would order it for myself. I tried their Sautéed Kale and it was so light and tasty. For entrees we had the Shrimp Parm (I didn't know shrimp got that big) and the Maryland Crabmeat Linguine (talk about a big portion of crabmeat). Absolute perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little taste of heavenNahimeanDined on 8/27/2014Absolutely freakin' amazing!!! For drinks my girlfriend ordered the new Tropical Punch cocktail which she was raving about and I got their new wine "The Prisoner" because the server recommended it and the name is awesome. Worth every penny of the 85 dollars, may be my favorite red wine ever. For apps we shared the Crispy Canalloni(?) over an alfredo sauce which was just so damn tasty and the tomato mozzarella which again is the best I've had, seriously they should bottle the dressing and sell it at Whole Foods. For entrées we shared the Shrimp Garlic and the Sausage & Peppers, classic entrees just done perfectly. I love that I can keep ordering different things and still never leave with regret. And the homemade Spumoni, uh... Wow!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MeamsDined on 8/23/2014We hadn't been back to this restaurant in years. That was our mistake. The food was basic Italian food that all of our 10 people enjoyed. The staff was friendly and service was very good.. We could carry on conversations with everyone which we could not have done in most of the new restauraurants that we go to. We will be back again with our friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as alwaysRebaVIPDined on 8/19/2014A family run restaurant which makes you feel like you're part of the family. The food is excellent. The service is too. John greeted us at we walked in and welcomed us in. It only got better from there. If you like soft shell crabs, go soon. The season is coming to an end. I had tortolinni with mushroom cream sauce. Every bite is delicious.Special Features:
- consistently good ItalianbriefreviewsnodotcomVIPDined on 8/19/2014the chef(s) remain adept at preparing fresh fish and other seafood. Management is getting more adventurous with the focacio since we were last there. When my adult children return to this area Amalfi's is always a must have for the white pizza and soft shells in the summer. So nice to know about a local restaurant with consistently good food over many many years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amalfi ReviewlikeamalfiDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I have dined at Amalfi many times. We like the food, the environment, and the service. I recently had the lasagna which was very good. My wife had veal marsala which she very much liked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- real ItalianIntrepidFromDCDined on 8/5/2014We had clams appetizer, clams in linguine with white sauce and veal. The veal was very good. The clams in linguine was among the best I've ever had in the US. It took me back to Italy!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of this world foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/2/2014The pasta fagiole soup here is the best we have ever had; nice and hearty, not salty, and great flavor with the fresh kale giving it a special touch. If you go on a day when they have trout venetiano as a special, by all means get it. We've had it several times and it always amazing. Cooked perfectly, zero bones, and skin so good you would be a fool to peel it off and throw it away -- crisp and delicious, and not a scale to be found. They have a way of cooking it that we haven't seen anywhere else. The sage sauce is great too, icing on the cake. Speaking of cake, the limoncello cake is definitely worth saving a little room for to finish an excellent meal. Everyone there is great, very polite and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ResturantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014We have enjoyed Amalfi's over the years and have always had a pleasant experience. It is nice to dine in a family owned restaurant. Always a nice friendly ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Favorite Place!MegandJonVIPDined on 7/29/2014We have always had great food at Amalfi's! The staff is friendly and service is prompt. They happily accommodated special requests for my meal. We'll be back soon!Special Features:
- Our favorite for ItalianDK4RockvilleDined on 7/25/2014We go to Amalfi's several times a month for dinner. Chef and staff are marvelous and accommodating. The menu even includes some great additions suggested by patrons. Suggest you try a salad with kale; if you've never really tasted kale you will be pleasantly surprised; else go for the arugula. Pastas are delicious; I had the lump crab meat. Amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/25/2014Always great! Great good. We've never had anything that wasn't good. Staff is always friendly and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Service and delicious foodNiff1010Dined on 7/22/2014This was our fifth visit to Amalfi. The food is always consistently delicious and the service is simply outstanding. If you are looking for a traditional Italian restaurant in Rockville, Amalfi is the place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MollyVIPDined on 7/19/2014The food is always well prepared and very delicious. Very pleasant atmosphere. We've dined there many times over the years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingDeliciousDined on 7/17/2014This was my first time at Amalfi, and I went with a friend who'd been there before. I can't find enough good things to say about my experience! John, the host (manager?), warmly welcomed us, and described a special dish that night, a lemon halibut, with such genuine enthusiasm, that I had to order it. It came, golden on the outside, moist and tender inside, enthroned on dainty asparagus, with a gorgeous side of freshly green broccoli, and a generous portion of smoky-tasting mushrooms. It was totally irresistible, & when I started eating the fish, I made my friend laugh with my eye-rolling enthusiasm and comment that it was orgasmically good. My friend ordered a dish of gently fried zucchini circles, which I tasted, licking my lips. Part 1Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian Food!Mimi9812Dined on 7/16/2014My family has been going to Amalfi for years! Great family owned restaurant with AMAZING food!!Special Features:
- It just doesn't get any betterNahimeanDined on 7/16/2014I feel like these days every time I want to go out I end up back at Amalfi. Throughout my life I've tried many restaurants in this area and have been disappointed so much that I tend to lose the nerve to keep trying bad restaurants. At Amalfi I know that every time I am welcomed so warmly and the food is always absolutely delicious. With such a large menu and specials list I consistently try new dishes and have never been disappointed. It just doesn't get any better than Amalfi. This time I had the Halibut special and all I have to say is wow. The piece was big and cooked to perfection in a lemon wine sauce. For app I got the Kale Pear salad again because I just love it too much to pass up. For dessert their Tortoni was simply amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!!hkr924Dined on 7/12/2014Amalfi Ristorante is hands down the best Italian food I have ever had! When I walked in I was greeted by one of the owners with a warm smile. The wonderful service didn't stop there. Our server had such a fantastic personality and had no problem taking his time to go over the menu with me. All the food was truly wonderful! The white pizza as a starter is a must! Can't wait to go back!!!Special Features:
- Truly a neighborhood GEMGasman47Dined on 7/11/2014The kitchen has stepped up the menu with satisfying results. New salads ar fresh and delicious. Main course ingredients are first rate and handled well. And as always, the service is warm, friendly,accommodating and attentive. Amalfi's remains my go-to place for local Italian fare.Special Features:
- Off the beaten path - worth findingChuckVIPDined on 7/9/2014Although we've lived in the area for nearly 10 years, this was our first visit to Amalfi. It certainly will not be our last. From the warm greeting at the door through the entire meal, it was a wonderful experience. The service was attentive but not intrusive. The menu listed a number of very appealing choices, but I settled for the soft-shelled crab on the special menu. They were the best I've ever eaten. This is a real find.Special Features:
- Reliable, Friendly and DeliciousRandyVIPDined on 7/5/2014The "new" menu looks very similar to the former one, but a few changes have been made. Nevertheless, Amalfi is always willng to prepare your meal to order. This sometimes lends itself to longer wait times, but it's worth it!Special Features:
- Great family restaurantShiokDined on 6/28/2014Our server was very patient in explaining the night's specials. Very reasonable prices for pasta and drinks. Rockets and pear salad was a little too sour for my liking.Veal was ok.Special Features:
- The following 188 reviews are from the Amalfi Ristorante Italiano reviews archive.