Amalfi Ristorante Italiano
12307 Wilkins Ave.
Rockville, DC 20852Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Amalfi Ristorante Italiano
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.amalfirockville.com/
- Phone: 3017707888x
- Hours of Operation:
Tues - Thurs: Lunch 11am - 2pm & Dinner 5pm - 9pm
Friday: Lunch 11am - 2pm & Dinner 5pm - 10pm
Saturday: Dinner 1:30pm - 10pm
Sunday: Dinner 1:30pm - 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Italian, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Moe Jr.
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Amalfi Ristorante Italiano
Established in 1977 Amalfi is a True Family Owned & Operated Restaurant. We offer dishes from both northern and southern Italy. We also have extensive Gluten Free and Vegetarian options along with a few Vegan options as well. With everything being made from scratch to order we can please any customer. We take pride in doing all the work ourselves and strive to have the very best restaurant in town. Moe Jr. is the head chef, John serves tables, Teresa hosts and Moe Sr. overlooks the operation. Moe Sr. and Teresa started Amalfi over 36 years ago and now the two sons are in control and have taken Amalfi to the next level. We have now upgraded all of our meats to all natural products. From all natural chicken to milk fed veal, even our sausage is all natural. The majority of our meals are now made to order to ensure optimal freshness and quality. Come in and see why they say, "Once you visit Amalfi you may never leave!"Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Amalfi Ristorante Italiano - Best Restaurants in Rockville ›
Amalfi Ristorante Italiano reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (56)good for groups (29)kid-friendly (29)special occasion (26)fit for foodies (22)romantic (15)great for lunch (13)hot spot (3)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- A little taste of heavenNahimeanDined on 8/27/2014Absolutely freakin' amazing!!! For drinks my girlfriend ordered the new Tropical Punch cocktail which she was raving about and I got their new wine "The Prisoner" because the server recommended it and the name is awesome. Worth every penny of the 85 dollars, may be my favorite red wine ever. For apps we shared the Crispy Canalloni(?) over an alfredo sauce which was just so damn tasty and the tomato mozzarella which again is the best I've had, seriously they should bottle the dressing and sell it at Whole Foods. For entrées we shared the Shrimp Garlic and the Sausage & Peppers, classic entrees just done perfectly. I love that I can keep ordering different things and still never leave with regret. And the homemade Spumoni, uh... Wow!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MeamsDined on 8/23/2014We hadn't been back to this restaurant in years. That was our mistake. The food was basic Italian food that all of our 10 people enjoyed. The staff was friendly and service was very good.. We could carry on conversations with everyone which we could not have done in most of the new restauraurants that we go to. We will be back again with our friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as alwaysRebaVIPDined on 8/19/2014A family run restaurant which makes you feel like you're part of the family. The food is excellent. The service is too. John greeted us at we walked in and welcomed us in. It only got better from there. If you like soft shell crabs, go soon. The season is coming to an end. I had tortolinni with mushroom cream sauce. Every bite is delicious.Special Features:
- consistently good ItalianbriefreviewsnodotcomVIPDined on 8/19/2014the chef(s) remain adept at preparing fresh fish and other seafood. Management is getting more adventurous with the focacio since we were last there. When my adult children return to this area Amalfi's is always a must have for the white pizza and soft shells in the summer. So nice to know about a local restaurant with consistently good food over many many years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amalfi ReviewlikeamalfiDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I have dined at Amalfi many times. We like the food, the environment, and the service. I recently had the lasagna which was very good. My wife had veal marsala which she very much liked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- real ItalianIntrepidFromDCDined on 8/5/2014We had clams appetizer, clams in linguine with white sauce and veal. The veal was very good. The clams in linguine was among the best I've ever had in the US. It took me back to Italy!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of this world foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/2/2014The pasta fagiole soup here is the best we have ever had; nice and hearty, not salty, and great flavor with the fresh kale giving it a special touch. If you go on a day when they have trout venetiano as a special, by all means get it. We've had it several times and it always amazing. Cooked perfectly, zero bones, and skin so good you would be a fool to peel it off and throw it away -- crisp and delicious, and not a scale to be found. They have a way of cooking it that we haven't seen anywhere else. The sage sauce is great too, icing on the cake. Speaking of cake, the limoncello cake is definitely worth saving a little room for to finish an excellent meal. Everyone there is great, very polite and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ResturantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014We have enjoyed Amalfi's over the years and have always had a pleasant experience. It is nice to dine in a family owned restaurant. Always a nice friendly ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Favorite Place!MegandJonVIPDined on 7/29/2014We have always had great food at Amalfi's! The staff is friendly and service is prompt. They happily accommodated special requests for my meal. We'll be back soon!Special Features:
- Our favorite for ItalianDK4RockvilleDined on 7/25/2014We go to Amalfi's several times a month for dinner. Chef and staff are marvelous and accommodating. The menu even includes some great additions suggested by patrons. Suggest you try a salad with kale; if you've never really tasted kale you will be pleasantly surprised; else go for the arugula. Pastas are delicious; I had the lump crab meat. Amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/25/2014Always great! Great good. We've never had anything that wasn't good. Staff is always friendly and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Service and delicious foodNiff1010Dined on 7/22/2014This was our fifth visit to Amalfi. The food is always consistently delicious and the service is simply outstanding. If you are looking for a traditional Italian restaurant in Rockville, Amalfi is the place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MollyVIPDined on 7/19/2014The food is always well prepared and very delicious. Very pleasant atmosphere. We've dined there many times over the years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingDeliciousDined on 7/17/2014This was my first time at Amalfi, and I went with a friend who'd been there before. I can't find enough good things to say about my experience! John, the host (manager?), warmly welcomed us, and described a special dish that night, a lemon halibut, with such genuine enthusiasm, that I had to order it. It came, golden on the outside, moist and tender inside, enthroned on dainty asparagus, with a gorgeous side of freshly green broccoli, and a generous portion of smoky-tasting mushrooms. It was totally irresistible, & when I started eating the fish, I made my friend laugh with my eye-rolling enthusiasm and comment that it was orgasmically good. My friend ordered a dish of gently fried zucchini circles, which I tasted, licking my lips. Part 1Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian Food!Mimi9812Dined on 7/16/2014My family has been going to Amalfi for years! Great family owned restaurant with AMAZING food!!Special Features:
- It just doesn't get any betterNahimeanDined on 7/16/2014I feel like these days every time I want to go out I end up back at Amalfi. Throughout my life I've tried many restaurants in this area and have been disappointed so much that I tend to lose the nerve to keep trying bad restaurants. At Amalfi I know that every time I am welcomed so warmly and the food is always absolutely delicious. With such a large menu and specials list I consistently try new dishes and have never been disappointed. It just doesn't get any better than Amalfi. This time I had the Halibut special and all I have to say is wow. The piece was big and cooked to perfection in a lemon wine sauce. For app I got the Kale Pear salad again because I just love it too much to pass up. For dessert their Tortoni was simply amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!!hkr924Dined on 7/12/2014Amalfi Ristorante is hands down the best Italian food I have ever had! When I walked in I was greeted by one of the owners with a warm smile. The wonderful service didn't stop there. Our server had such a fantastic personality and had no problem taking his time to go over the menu with me. All the food was truly wonderful! The white pizza as a starter is a must! Can't wait to go back!!!Special Features:
- Truly a neighborhood GEMGasman47Dined on 7/11/2014The kitchen has stepped up the menu with satisfying results. New salads ar fresh and delicious. Main course ingredients are first rate and handled well. And as always, the service is warm, friendly,accommodating and attentive. Amalfi's remains my go-to place for local Italian fare.Special Features:
- Off the beaten path - worth findingChuckVIPDined on 7/9/2014Although we've lived in the area for nearly 10 years, this was our first visit to Amalfi. It certainly will not be our last. From the warm greeting at the door through the entire meal, it was a wonderful experience. The service was attentive but not intrusive. The menu listed a number of very appealing choices, but I settled for the soft-shelled crab on the special menu. They were the best I've ever eaten. This is a real find.Special Features:
- Reliable, Friendly and DeliciousRandyVIPDined on 7/5/2014The "new" menu looks very similar to the former one, but a few changes have been made. Nevertheless, Amalfi is always willng to prepare your meal to order. This sometimes lends itself to longer wait times, but it's worth it!Special Features:
- Great family restaurantShiokDined on 6/28/2014Our server was very patient in explaining the night's specials. Very reasonable prices for pasta and drinks. Rockets and pear salad was a little too sour for my liking.Veal was ok.Special Features:
- mkejunkieDined on 6/20/2014Yum. Food was good; service was fast. Overall it was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amalfi - off the beaten pathMrCory0099VIPDined on 6/19/2014Amalfi's is definitely in a different part of town! We were in N. Bethesda, MD on business and found this on OpenTable. In an area that resembles an old office park business area. Don't let the exterior fool you! The interior is right out of the 70's as well, but the food was very good! The appetizer that we ordered was a small white pizza that was recommended by our server, it was OK. The pasta was another story! It was great! I'd definitely come back here and try something different along the pasta side of the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as alwaysNahimeanDined on 6/17/2014My absolute favorite restaurant. When you compare quality with the prices it really doesn't get any better than Amalfi. Not only is the food amazing but the family running it are the best restaurant owners I've ever met. They are super nice and really care about your experience like no one else. I can't say enough about the family but let me get to my dinner tonight. I started with the Golden Beet salad with goat cheese and a coffee dressing. I didn't think I liked beets but apparently I do at Amalfi. I then had the spedeni(?) which was like a fried grilled cheese topped with tomato sauce. Tasty, tasty. For my main I ordered the Rainbow Trout special. It was perfectly cooked in a white wine sauce. Seriously, it doesn't get any betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great father's Day DinnerAmalfisMyFavoriteDined on 6/15/2014My son and I had a great Father's Day dinner at Amalfi's. We started off with their great white pizza with Fontina cheese, which we polished off. I had the seafood platter in white sauce (wonderful) and my son had Shrimp in marinara sauce (he really liked it). No room for dessert this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-So ItalianDCLawyer68VIPDined on 6/14/2014Traditional southern Italian restuarant (think pasta and red sauce) with a large menu. Relies heavily on fats for flavor. A crabmeat and pasta special was heavily buttered. Wines by the glass were of very moderate quality. Perfectly acceptable for most basic Italian food cravings though.
- Family favoriteThankfulbernardDined on 6/10/2014My wife requests Amalfi's for her birthday celebration each year. The food is always good, the eggplant parmesan was excellent. I was disappointed with the mushroom cream sauce with the tortellini. The desserts are wonderful.Special Features:
- Terrific!DanielDined on 6/7/2014Planned a last minute birthday dinner for Dad with the family and one special friend, party of 8. Short wait for table to be set, then wonderful welcome by one of the two brothers who runs the place, the other brother is in the the kitchen (after taking over for Mom and Dad). Menu was extensive, and they back up what it says on the menu to provide anything you might want to order, with any variation. Goat cheese raviolo with a side of grilled shrimp was great. Appetizers very good - calmari was really good. Food was great, everything brought out in perfect time, evening capped off with a special birthday surprise for Dad and bite size dessert treats for the rest of the party.Special Features:
- great family italian restaurantcharlessrDined on 5/31/2014in an area ( Washington DC) full of over priced Italian restaurants..it is hard to find a place where a couple or family can find a good plate of pasta that is not very over priced...and often the sauce is too full of onions, carrots, garlic, sugar, and other ingredients which seem to be produced to appeal to someones idea of the " American taste... this place has the basic pasta , veal, chicken dishes...reasonable wine....large portions....try itSpecial Features:
- RebaVIPDined on 5/31/2014Have been going to Amalfi since it opened many years ago. It has gotten better and better. Always outstanding. Get the white pizza with cheese! Best soft shell crabs anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect meal!!!markDined on 5/30/2014I went to Amalfi on a busy Friday night but was treated as if I was the only person in the place - from John (one of the owners) greeting me at the door to the bust boy and waitress providing top notch service from start to end. I have tried many of the fantastic items on their menu so tonight decided to have three of my favorites - calamari for apetizer, cheese pizza for entre, and mud pie for dessert - and let me tell you, it was the perfect meal!!! The calamari is hands down, the best I have ever tasted, and their pizza is second to none. The mud pie was so rich with a chocolate crust to "die for" and the perfect way to end this fantastic meal. Thanks to all at Amalfi for my perfect meal!!!Special Features:
- Special Occasion; Excellent MealOrderAroundDined on 5/28/2014The restaurant accommodated our large party and provided excellent service and delicious food. The white pizza was ordered for the table and it was really good. I had the potato gnocchi; it was very good, including the sauce.Special Features:
- Food ok but high priceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/25/2014Was just ok for the price, they keep telling everyone they have open, 38 yearsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a gemcpvsDined on 5/24/2014Can't think of a casual restaurant with better Italian food or service. We are never disappointed nor are our friends, including those who are Italian.Special Features:
- Authentic Italian FoodWVWaltDined on 5/21/2014So glad that we finally heard about Amalfi. Family-owned and run Italian restaurant serving homemade, fresh Italian fare. Owner is very personable, and ensures that all patrons are happy. The food is made to order, and totally fresh and authentic. We will certainly visit Amalfi on our future trips to the area. Less than a mile off Rockville Pike, so it's an easy trip.Special Features:
- AccommodatingKrisDined on 5/17/2014This restaurant was so accommodating. Went here for a large family dinner and they were wonderful. We started off with fried calamari and white pizza for the table. Everyone enjoyed it. My mother ordered the salmon piccata and is still raving about it a few days later. We were very happy that the restaurant allowed us to bring in a cake for the graduation we were celebrating. The staff was so pleasant and attentive. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a delicious Italian dinner in the Rockville area.Special Features:
- AwesomeSuperiorDined on 5/16/2014This place is super, always friendly, always great food and always good wine, what more can you ask.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fish dishesOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/16/2014Great everything really. I had trout, my wife had salmon, both were excellent. Best trout I've ever had, I think. Totally deboned (not even a tiny pinbone to be found), moist and very meaty. My wife's salmon was made to order; they even suggested ingredients to make it an even better dish. Some here have said the bread is average, but it sure didn't seem that way to us. Italian bread is crusty without being hard and the onion foccacia is amazing. With John running the room and his brother performing magic in the kitchen this place is hard to beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local gemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/15/2014Great neighborhood Italian restaurant with excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed Amalfigrand2twinsDined on 5/11/2014First time visitors. Food was delicious. Lump crab atop spaghetti in garlic sauce was excellent. Eggplant parm was also very good. Portions were decent. Some prices were a little high. Wine list was adequate. Appetizers were also very good. Service was friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- The following 169 reviews are from the Amalfi Ristorante Italiano reviews archive.