Amalfi on the Water
12 Water St.
Rockland, ME 04841Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Amalfi on the Water
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.amalfionthewater.com/
- Phone: 2075960012
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 5:00 pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 8:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: David Cooke, CIA '94
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our motto is "The world is your oyster." Our catering team works hard to make every event personal and complete. Whether a wedding for 150 or a birthday party for 10, we create menus and moods for every individual client. Formal, casual, lobster bake, tapas party, beerfest...you name it.
- Entertainment: Amalfi on the Water is proud to continue the tradition of live, free music every Friday night. Acoustic, mostly blues, local and lively. There is space to boogie and sway. Located in the lounge area , the mood is casual, low key and fun. On Sundays, we have live jazz for Brunch, playing standards and classics. During the summer months we have lively Reggae Sundays and Blues Jams outside on the decks.
A word from Amalfi on the Water
With the best views of Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse, the largest bar in the mid-coast area, 2 outside patios, a raw bar and our own micro-brewery Amalfi on the Water is what is happening on the coast! We are local, chef-owned,and environmentally conscious. The freshest local seafood with a Mediterranean flair. Lobster dinner, lobster risotto...you choose. Come join us for a fresh pint or a cocktail on the waterfront patio or in the bar, have a few appetizers or a Tapas Trio and then a great steak or lobster dinner. Finish up with one our delicious homemade desserts. Ahhh, life the way it should be!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Amalfi on the Water reviews from OpenTable diners
- Amalfi is no longer in businessOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/6/2012Amalfi is no longer in business - quite a shock and surprise.
- The perfect place for a specialOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2012The perfect place for a special occassion. The staff was professional but not stuffy. We would definitely return during daylight hours to enjoy the outside dining.Special Features:
- Do not botherracburpDined on 10/6/2012Perfunctory service bordering on boredom. total lack of any cordiality. Inadequate portions and overpriced for the quality of the ingredients.
- Good food and service butfussiVIPDined on 9/27/2012Good food and service but no atmosphere in the dining area. Feels like hotel restaurant. Probably better on a sunny day when one can sit outside and admire the view.Special Features:
- Our waitress was very attentivehappydinerDined on 9/22/2012Our waitress was very attentive at first, but after she brought the entrees she disappeared. Actually, she was eating dinner at the bar ! We waited a LONG time for desert & the check.Special Features:
- Our experience was not thatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2012Our experience was not that great .. the service was not very good .. it started with waiting for menus for like 20 minutes and then the waitress asked us what we would like to drink before we got menus!!.. Being in the service industry this is not proper.. we never saw a beer or wine menu so how would we even know what we would like? .. We were never offered coffee or tea to go with our cake ??... also I had ordered my calamari for my daughter with nothing on it and it came out with parsley so she didn't eat it. The food was average.. overall not a great experience.
- Our food was wonderful! WeBorntotravelchrisDined on 9/15/2012Our food was wonderful! We were very pleased with this pick!Special Features:
- As always, good food. GoodTommyVIPDined on 9/2/2012As always, good food. Good selection of 'specials'. I do like their wine list. Nothing that's going to make us stop going there, regularly!Special Features:
- Points-of-ViewWayneVIPDined on 8/30/2012We have dined at Amalfi several times, including when they were a very (physically) small restaurant on Main St. Their new facilities give more opportunity for enjoying the company of your guests. We all judge food differently, but speaking for my salmon it was cooked perfectly. I like it mid-way between rare and medium rare; few restaurants do that successfully; Amalfi does. My spouse enjoyed her haddock, but thought the sides were unremarkable. One guest enjoyed the fried Maine shrimp and sweet potato fries, while the other guest was satisfied but thought the sausage was too bland. Good selection of wine by the glass--enjoyed a favorite, Entre Deux Mers. This review is written from my perspective and I was very happy.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2012We recently ate at amalfi for our parents anniversary dinner. The food was delicious and the service good. Our only small problems were that there was a wedding party inside and they tried to seat us outside where it was a little chilly. I told the hostess that we preffered to sit inside and they made us a table towards the bar. This actually turned out well because it was the quietest spot in the restaurant and was away from the giant party. Overall, its always been a favorite for us. The food is always spectacular.Special Features:
- The food was good but it wasnonoDined on 8/22/2012The food was good but it was over priced for the portions and content. It was difficult to ascertain the vibe of the restaurant - an older crowd and the menu is a bit eclectic - like they are not sure if they are really Mediterranean - some Asian dishes etc.Special Features:
- One of our favorite restaurants.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/18/2012One of our favorite restaurants. Food was very good and the owner Nancy made a special stop to ask us how our meal was and even offered to take a picture of our children. She is a very warm host and is running a neighborhood gem. Our waiter needs to take some lessons from her. We ordered mussels, clam chowder, pasta for the kids, the house paella, and a seafood pasta dish. All finely prepared.Special Features:
- Lovely location, great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2012Lovely location, great food but unfortunately severely understaffed. Our waiter had to take care of all the outdoor tables. As a result, our main course took almost an hour to arrive, and it took 20 minutes for all of us to get our food. They comped the desserts though, which was very classy (and tasty!).
- try to prevent unnecessaryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/6/2012try to prevent unnecessary distrubing childrens in the outside of scenic view while we were eating in the outdoor dining.Special Features:
- Loved it. Great outside seatingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/22/2012Loved it. Great outside seating with wonderful views. The food was spectacular and our waitress was perfect.Special Features:
- I'd been in Maine- up fromgunnerDined on 7/16/2012I'd been in Maine- up from DC- for a week and had eaten some good food but nothing really spectacular.I was fairly dissapointed. My final night up north I went with friends to AMALFI and the place actually redeemed MAINE after all the other average spots I'd eaten at. Suffice it to say that the entire visit was flawless! The food was fantastic. Creative and classic items on the menu. The service was spot on and the view of the Rockland harbor and ocean was beautiful. I will remember AMALFI as being the best experience of my MAINE adventure. I just wish I could eat there every week.Special Features:
- Still a fave?TommyVIPDined on 7/15/2012Must have been a slow night? Service was. But this is still one the best restaurants in Maine. They had run out of one preferred bottle of wine, and espresso! Other than that, we will certainly be back.Special Features:
- they did not have their actOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/7/2012they did not have their act together in the kitchen. The restaurant was only about a third full and it took us over an hour for our dinners and they came out only a few dishes at a time.
- Our evening was totally unsatisfactOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/18/2012Our evening was totally unsatisfactory.We ere advised they were out of haddock a main stay of their menu.My wine choice was not there.There was a large and noisy party next to us.After a nice appetizer,we waited an hour for our main course because the kitchen could not handle us and the large party.We would not go back or recommend.
- We chose Amalfi on the WaterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/16/2012We chose Amalfi on the Water as a special place to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. It lived up to our expectations and more. They have plenty of up-close parking along with a beautiful entry. It was a bit fancier then we thought it might be and wished we had dressed up more. The tables were well spaced apart for easy conversation. We both chose Specials that night; I had crabmeat stuffed haddock over mashed potatoes served with asparagus, string beans & thin sliced zucchini with a terrific sauce. My husband had scallops that were so sweet and done perfectly. We shared a great appetizer of spring rolls done a bit differently then you would expect in an Asian restaurant. The view alone makes everything taste better!Special Features:
- We had high hopes, with theOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 6/12/2012We had high hopes, with the CIA-trained chef, and the food was pretty good. However, the service left a lot to be desired. We felt like we were forgotten. For one course, we had to search out someone to bring our wine after we had waited about 5 min. for it to be served while the food got cold. After dinner, we had to search out someone to bring our check, after we had waited about 15 min. for someone to show up. Also, it's the policy of the kitchen not to split entrees. We like to order two entrees, have them split in the kitchen, and be served as 2 courses. When you order apps, 2 courses, and a lot of wine, the kitchen should split the entrees. We won't be back!
- I was able to enjoy AmalfiOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2012I was able to enjoy Amalfi two nights in a row while attending a local convention. The food was amazing and the staff was very gracious and pleasant. I think my only comment was that both nights of dinner last 2.5-3 hours. We arrived at 6:45 and left sometime close to 9:30. Seems like a long wait between courses, but again, we loved the food and the atmosphere!Special Features:
- Amalfi - a community gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/8/2012Amalfi is a community gem! It offers a fine dining experience, which begins with courteous hosting, exceptional decor with a waterfront view of the harbor, competent and cheerful service, a great wine list, and creative delicious cuisine. I can recommend this restaurant with confidence.Special Features:
- Do drive 50-minutes out of your wayTommyVIPDined on 4/26/2012We just keep going and going. Do the pemaquid oysters and last week's special steak with homemade gnocci in a light cream. Double expressos excellent.Special Features:
- This restaurant has movedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/14/2012This restaurant has moved from a quaint little spot on the main street in Rockland to a huge corporate center by the water. I would recommend it for a bus tour group, but not for an intimate dinner for two. The dining room was large, sterile, and uncomfortable. There are only four tables by the window with a view of the harbor. We reserved a table weeks ahead through Open Table, and were told when we arrived that someone else had reserved earlier than we did, and that they would get the last table by the window. Open Table, do you think this restaurant considers reservations made through you to be second class? The food was good.Special Features:
- Loved it! The ginger martiniOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/17/2012Loved it! The ginger martini was outstanding, not too sweet, not too bitter, perfect. The lobster risotto was amazing--great flavor, fresh, well balanced. Can't wait to return!Special Features:
- We'd walked by this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/3/2012We'd walked by this place many times just walking on the boardwalk. Were eager to try it, and glad to see it open in the offseason. All the food was excellent, and the staff friendly and attentive. The outdoor patio looks like a great place to dine, in warm weather. As it was, we had a cozy corner inside on a cold wintery night.Special Features:
- the oysters were great!theOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/2/2012the oysters were great!the dining room is not able to control the sounds from the bar area. the live music was not our taste.The lighting is poor,
- One of a kind experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/28/2011Amalfi On The Water is a real treat. Their menu provides a diverse range of mediterrainian cuisines, a very extensive wine list and top notch desserts. The ambiance is perfect with a spectacular view of Rockland Harbor accented by the Breakwater Lighthouse. A great option for sepcial romantic occasions or business luncheons. I especicially appreciated their no cell phone rule. A real top notch outfit!Special Features:
- Great traditional ThanksgivingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/24/2011Great traditional Thanksgiving dinner just like I would have served at home! Very reasonably priced.Special Features:
- For a quiet Tuesday evening,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/15/2011For a quiet Tuesday evening, the service seemed slow. the chowder was watery and the entre unremarkable. I expected to bring an out of town client to a restaurant that would present Maine cuisine at its best and was disappointed that you missed that mark.
- Been coming to Amalfi forOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/12/2011Been coming to Amalfi for years (since downtown location), Consistently creative, insired, well executed dishes. Typically visit in fall, would love to sit on the patio outdoors someday, will have to make an effort to get there sometime during summer. See you again soon.Special Features:
- Good, not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2011Overall not a bad experience. The food was good, but not great. Everything fried was more soggy than crispy, but my grilled salmon dish was very good. It was unfortunate that the much-hyped (by the restaurant) house beer wasn't available, and the service was a little on the cold side.Special Features:
- Have eaten at this establishmentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/8/2011Have eaten at this establishment many times over the years, both in this location and their old location down the street. The food has always been above average.Special Features:
- Fabulous chef owned restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/8/2011We've been dining at Amalfi for years and have never been disappointed. Great spot, great food!Special Features:
- In its former incarnation,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/7/2011In its former incarnation, Amalfi was a neighborhood gem of a restaurant - great mediterranean ambiance, romantic, and OUTSTANDING food. Now in a new location on the Rockland waterfront, the restaurant feels corporatized - cavernous dining space that seems better suited for a business conference than a place to meet for a meal. They also appeared serviously understaffed-when we arrived for our 8pm reservation, the hostess sent us to the bar because our table wasn't ready. No big deal, nice bar...but we stood for 10 minutes without even being acknowleged by the bartender. When I did finally catch her eye, she barked that there were 3 others ahead of us but she would try to eventually serve us. Our waitress was friendlier but equally harried.Special Features:
- Wonderful on all levelsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/7/2011Lunch outside on a perfect, sunny Indian summer day overlooking a harbor of sailboats. Crab cake BLT yummy!! Haddock (sandwich) moist & fresh. Excellent brews. Service was just right (friendly, attentive). Will definitely return.Special Features:
- We have eaten there severalOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/22/2011We have eaten there several times and always enjoy the meal. Beautiful views. A rounded menu that changes often. We recommend.Special Features:
- 1st time there. Friday night...loudOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/16/20111st time there. Friday night...loud music but OK. Cool so inside dining. Food variety was fine. More microbrews needed.Special Features:
- Decent food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/3/2011Decent food, friendly, but terrible service. Our waitress took our drink order & said she'd return with "bread". A different individual dropped off two pieces of melba toast with hummus although there was no description of the spread offered & one of our party has severe food allergies, so had to ask the waitress when she passed by what the spread was. The salad ordered by one of our party tasted like "weeds" although the rest of the food was good. The service was sporadic and slow with multiple individuals dropping items off, our water glasses never being refilled, dessert was served, but the waitress forgot our coffee which didn't arrive until we'd finished our desserts and she was delivering the bill. Service is definitely NOT up to par