Alvin and Friends
14 Memorial Highway
New Rochelle, NY 10801Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Alvin and Friends
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (914) 654-6549
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch 11:30 am to 3 pm, Tuesday through Saturday; Brunch served on Sundays from 11:30 am to 3 pm. Dinner served 4:30 to 10 pm Tuesday, Wednesday and Sunday, 4:30 to 11 pm Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Late night bar menu available till midnight on Fridays and Saturdays.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Caribbean, Southern
- Executive Chef: Denzil Richards
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Dining at Alvin & Friends is more than a night out, it’s an experience. Now you can share that experience with your friends, clients or colleagues when you book your party, meeting or special event at Alvin & Friends. Our private dining room seats 80 comfortably, and can be configured to your specifications.The beautifully decorated space has its own private bar and is fully equipped with flatscreen TVs for presentations. Alvin & Friends offers a range of catering menus; contact Gwen or Theresa at 654-6549 for details. .
- Entertainment: Live music on Friday, Saturday and Sunday Evenings; Gospel Brunch on Sundays from 11:30 am to 3 pm
- Cross Street: Huguenot and Main
- Public Transit: Metro North New Haven line
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available on the street and in the municipal lot directly across the street from the restaurant. In addition there is limited covered parking available in the Avalon garage.Valet parking is available on Saturday nights.
A word from Alvin and Friends
Alvin & Friends offers contemporary cuisine with Southern and Caribbean influences in an elegant and sophisticated space; the dining room features dozens of stunning, Matisse-inspired oil paintings created by owner Alvin Clayton, part of the restaurant’s signature look. Alvin & Friends has been Zagat rated 26 for food, 26 for décor and 26 for service, and was named by Westchester Magazine as one of the “Best of Westchester” in 2011, 2012 and 2013. Voted "Best Fried Chicken in Westchester" and described as "By general consensus, New Rochelle's dining room" (Westchester Magazine.)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Alvin and Friends - Best Restaurants in New Rochelle ›
Alvin and Friends reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (58)fit for foodies (55)good for groups (52)special occasion (44)hot spot (41)vibrant bar scene (34)romantic (27)late-night find (22)great for brunch (21)great for outdoor dining (19)great for lunch (15)notable wine list (14)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (4)Show More
- Will try againMissLadeeDined on 11/15/2014We felt very comfortable here. Not too noisy, very nice décor. Steak was ordered medium but came well done. We were hungry so we ate it anyway. We will go again because we enjoyed the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed the evening.satisfiedDined on 11/13/2014We enjoyed the evening. While the food was good it was not exceptional. We were celebrating two birthdays and would have enjoyed being able to carry on a conversation. The noise level did not permit that.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alvin's new venue delicious & coolBluntbutfairDined on 11/8/2014New dining rooms and bar are beautifully decorated architecturally together with fine Caribbean inspired art. The food choice and presentation is excellent. Def would go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little bit of heavenMitchDined on 11/7/2014Nice to go to a place that brings it all together - service food and hot spotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Husband's BirthdayDeejDined on 11/7/2014We went to Alvin and Friends to celebrate my husband's birthday. He had his favorite, oxtail. All of our dishes were tasty up to and including drinks, appetizers, entree and dessert. The ambiance was very festive, with jazz music playing in the background. Alvin knows how to make a setting pop! It was great to meet Alvin in person! Thanks for a great night outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/6/2014Good food, good service. Very nice menu. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impromptu LunchBianca9253VIPDined on 10/31/2014My daughter and I went while we were waiting for an afternoon appointment in Eastchester. As always, Alvin was such a gracious host and the waitstaff were friendly and attentive. The portions for lunch were ample enough that we had leftovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best hostPWFgolferVIPDined on 10/24/2014Alvin makes you feel like your a guest at his home. Food, service was great. Jaz music just adds to the ambiance .Special Features:
- Great Food, Good ServiceGoodFoodLoverDined on 10/24/2014Service still does not keep up with the great food. Everyone is very courteous but a tad slow and inattentive, this is really only an issue when I'm in a hurry, otherwise I cannot recommend it strongly enough.Special Features:
- Super YummielaneyDined on 10/23/2014This place if fabulous! The food is off the charts delish! Great cocktail and wine list. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable about the menu. We have been here twice now, and both times the owner, Alvin, has stopped by to chat with us and make sure we are happy. I can't recommend this place enough.Special Features:
- Terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/18/2014Food was great - service was so bad! Would not go again because of this which is a shame.Special Features:
- greatasquareDined on 10/18/2014Everything was great. Food ,Service and Music make it a real find. The owners filter through the restaurant to insure all goes well in a very pleasant waySpecial Features:
- Fit for the occasionSaritaDined on 10/18/2014Last minute dinner surprise for a out of town family member. The food, music and service was absolutely fantastic. Mr. Alvin himself introduced himself and that made us feel right at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice honey experienceYummyDined on 10/18/2014First time wonderful experience. Friendly host. Delicious foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiance galore...NativeNewyorkerDined on 10/17/2014We were extremely delighted when we experienced the light jazz and electric atmosphere of this establishment on our 16th anniversary. Nestled in the heart of the New Rochelle, is this distinct gem of culinary excellence. I highly recommend Alvin & Friends, if your a fan of having a memorable time in a warm friendly establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alvin is A+++!!!!JayTDined on 10/17/2014We moved to New Rochelle about a year ago, and this is easily our favorite restaurant in Westchester. The food is so unique and delicious, and the owner Alvin is always on hand, and he really cares about his customers. According to Alvin, the kitchen was slightly backed up on our last trip (which we didn't even notice) and he brought us complimentary soup. The entire staff and servers are all very friendly and helpful, and the atmosphere just glows with fun and positivity. We truly love Alvin and his restaurant!Special Features:
- good for lunchprimadonnaDined on 10/17/2014we went on a friday and just beat the lunch crowd at 1:45pm....delicious meal....staff friendly and the owner said hello and chit chatted a bit. Loved the place...will plan another date for dinner and check out how it is at night! Definitely a must-go!Special Features:
- MiltDined on 10/16/2014Never disappoints..good,friendly service, great food,staff attentive to your needs.Special Features:
- Service needs a little help...nycfoodieDined on 10/11/2014My bf and I are always looking for different restaurants to try and this place seemed interesting. We went on Saturday night for date night and it was crowded! There seemed to have been a little of confusion between the hostesses b/c we had a reservation and other people waiting did not but after about 15 mins we were seated...all good. After being seated, we looked through the menu and decided on food and wine and at this point we still didn't have water! finally somebody comes over with water and a basket of cornbread but still no waiter! A tall man in a suit (not our waiter) comes and takes our order. Our waiter finally shows up to tell us our apps will be out soon then we did not see him again until dessert good was good not greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2014Food was delicious, timely, the right amounts. Music was nice, and for us old folks, not too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like a clubhouseSebastianVIPDined on 10/10/2014Alvin & Friends is a warm and inviting place. Alvin, is very personable and makes regulars and strangers alike feel like the restaurant is sincerely happy to have you. The food is fit for foodies, and rivals anything in NYC.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/5/2014Was well worth it. Stumbled upon this place and it was one of the best choices ever. I had a really good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Sunday BrunchWadooDined on 10/5/2014I took my wife here for her birthday this past Sunday. The Jazz band was perfect. Not too loud. Smooth sounds while we ate some of the best dishes I've eaten in a long time. Alvin came around to make sure we were happy. We were! I had the catfish, scrambled eggs, and grits. I need to know how they make their grits. I had no idea grits could fast that good. The catfish melted in my mout. My wife had the fried chicken and waffles. They allowed her to sub the chicken strips for chicken parts. Great choice and thanks for letting her switch. Best fried chicken in Westchester by far. We will be going back again and again to try more menu items. I highly recommend this gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DiningWeGoOutALotDined on 10/2/2014Walked into a great space and greeted by the entertainer who was well selected! Great atmosphere and service. We had many dishes and all were very good. The duck was perfectly cooked. Mac and cheese could've used a toasted breadcrumb topping.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine group of gourmet foods.DaveCBDined on 10/2/2014My first visit introduced me to an exciting group of Caribbean-inspired foods that hit the spot. The southern foods will be ordered upon my likely return. First time in 74 years for me to order shandy, a pre-dinner beverage of 50/50 beer and gingerale (this time Red Stripe/Sprite). All of this while enjoying some excellent live entertainment.Special Features:
- MonkMonkVIPDined on 9/28/2014Alvin and Friends is always warm and wonderful. The food is good and the wait staff friendly and helpful. The music at Sunday brunch is sensational. And, Alvin is a talented artist, whose works on the walls add an extra delightful dimension to the dining experience. As always, our recent experience was great.Special Features:
- Soul/Caribbean GemAgodavaDined on 9/27/2014The personality of Alvin the owner permeates every aspect. His art hangs on the wall and his roots are well represented in the excellently composed menu. Southern cooking and Caribbean inspired dishes harmonize like the great live music available on weekends. Each person in our party had a different dish, and each of us really enjoyed everything. Phenomenal crab cake appetizer is a great starter. The shrimp and grits, the duck breast and the seafood linguine are first rate. Leave room for dessert. The staff is well informed, helpful and friendly. Start with one of the specialty cocktails like the Alvin Punch and prepare yourself for a fun evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly AtmosphereDNJLVIPDined on 9/25/2014Good food and atmosphere. Good place for group dinner and get together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- local findasquareDined on 9/13/2014a very nice experience with great music. After a few minor problems with the wait staff and management being made aware (they visit tables) all went very wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014Every single item we had for dinner was outstanding - the fried green tomatoes, poached shrimp appetizer, 'Westchester's best' fried chicken and the duck breast all were amazing. Even the sides blew us away. We loved the ambiance too. Only tips are that if it's a rainy night, give yourself extra time to find parking - we were late for our reservation because we couldn't find a place to park. I think they may have valet parking but we didn't realize that. Also was a little loud with the jazz music but it was fun. Absolutely love this place!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Food was tasty. Ambience was pleasant. Staff was attentive. Fried chicken could have been seasoned better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014We always enjoy the experience of Alvin & Friends. It is a very warm, friendly neighborhood restaurant. New Rochelle is a vibrant and diverse community. The patrons at Alvin's reflect the diversity and spirit of the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thefridaygroupVIPDined on 9/6/2014We were looking forward to dining at Alvin and Friends. My 3rd time and my friend's 1st. Unfortuantely, on one of the hotest days of the summer, the A/C was not working (or at least that's what I assumed). Even though I commented on how hot the restaurant was neither the hostess, waitress nor manager advised us of what the situation was. They were setting up for a big party and that seemed to be the focus. The staff was friendly, the food good, but not as great as in the old location. We couldn't wait to leave. If you live in NR I would suggest giving it a try, but not it's not worth the schlep from cross county.
- Great combo for food and musicsindromeVIPDined on 9/5/2014Excellent food that ticks the comfort box but also has unusual and interesting features. Drinks from the bar were well put together. Atmosphere was friendly and the mixed crowd people and age-wise all seemed to fit in fine. Live jazz rounded things off nicely.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Jazz was fantasic, Nicki Brizzi is incredible. We loved the food and drinks. The only negative was that the A/C was broken. We will be back to try other items on the menu and hopefully enjoy more Jazz.Special Features:
- Nice time.PeasinapodDined on 9/4/2014Very romantic. Great food and great service. Everyone was kind and welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and entertainmentpumpkinDined on 8/24/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants in the area (and there are many to choose from). Personal service; Alvin or his wife usually come by to the table to make sure everything is top notch, and a unique menu make this place unbeatable. We recommend the catfish, duck, or salmon as an entree. You can't beat the mini corn muffins that are served before the meal and the bread pudding for dessert. Often on weekends there is live entertainment and we have never been disappointed with the ability of the performers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpectedly vibrant and fun!MCCFoodieVIPDined on 8/24/2014We came to Alvin and Friends to celebrate my sister's birthday. All the food from starters to desserts was amazing. We were a party of 5 with 3 picky eaters so that's a rave. Alvin and his lovely wife came over often to check on us and see if we were enjoying our evening. They are both delightful and made us feel like old friends. The live music was incredible so I want to go back on a Saturday night with a date for a different kind of evening. Will definitely return and highly highly recommend!!Special Features:
- Charming!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Delicious savoring comfort food. That make you want to hum!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun lunch experience!JerryFDined on 8/23/2014My family and I went to Alvin and Friends and enjoyed a relaxing lunch after a visit to the Bronx Zoo. Service was dicey but they were short handed and did try very hard with a smile on their face. The food was good. We had the wonderful fried chicken, collard greens and mac and cheese. My wife said that the collard greens (chock full of country ham) were the best she's ever eaten and she's from Charleston SC! Iced tea was freshly brewed. Alvin himself came by and greeted us warmly. All in all, a very pleasant experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.