Alvin and Friends
14 Memorial Highway
New Rochelle, NY 10801Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Alvin and Friends
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 914 654-6549x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch 11:30 am to 3 pm, Tuesday through Saturday; Brunch served on Sundays from 11:30 am to 3 pm. Dinner served 4:30 to 10 pm Tuesday, Wednesday and Sunday, 4:30 to 11 pm Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Late night bar menu available till midnight on Fridays and Saturdays.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Caribbean, Southern
- Executive Chef: Denzil Richards
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Dining at Alvin & Friends is more than a night out, it’s an experience. Now you can share that experience with your friends, clients or colleagues when you book your party, meeting or special event at Alvin & Friends. Our private dining room seats 80 comfortably, and can be configured to your specifications.The beautifully decorated space has its own private bar and is fully equipped with flatscreen TVs for presentations. Alvin & Friends offers a range of catering menus; contact Gwen or Theresa at 654-6549 for details. .
- Entertainment: Live music on Friday, Saturday and Sunday Evenings; Gospel Brunch on Sundays from 11:30 am to 3 pm
- Cross Street: Huguenot and Main
- Public Transit: Metro North New Haven line
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available on the street and in the municipal lot directly across the street from the restaurant. In addition there is limited covered parking available in the Avalon garage.Valet parking is available on Saturday nights.
A word from Alvin and Friends
Alvin & Friends offers contemporary cuisine with Southern and Caribbean influences in an elegant and sophisticated space; the dining room features dozens of stunning, Matisse-inspired oil paintings created by owner Alvin Clayton, part of the restaurant’s signature look. Alvin & Friends has been Zagat rated 26 for food, 26 for décor and 26 for service, and was named by Westchester Magazine as one of the “Best of Westchester” in 2011, 2012 and 2013. Voted "Best Fried Chicken in Westchester" and described as "By general consensus, New Rochelle's dining room" (Westchester Magazine.)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Alvin and Friends - Best Restaurants in New Rochelle ›
Alvin and Friends reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (54)special occasion (48)fit for foodies (43)good for groups (43)romantic (31)great for outdoor dining (29)great for brunch (26)hot spot (26)vibrant bar scene (20)great for lunch (18)late-night find (18)notable wine list (8)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (4)Show More
- MonkMonkVIPDined on 9/28/2014Alvin and Friends is always warm and wonderful. The food is good and the wait staff friendly and helpful. The music at Sunday brunch is sensational. And, Alvin is a talented artist, whose works on the walls add an extra delightful dimension to the dining experience. As always, our recent experience was great.Special Features:
- Soul/Caribbean GemAgodavaDined on 9/27/2014The personality of Alvin the owner permeates every aspect. His art hangs on the wall and his roots are well represented in the excellently composed menu. Southern cooking and Caribbean inspired dishes harmonize like the great live music available on weekends. Each person in our party had a different dish, and each of us really enjoyed everything. Phenomenal crab cake appetizer is a great starter. The shrimp and grits, the duck breast and the seafood linguine are first rate. Leave room for dessert. The staff is well informed, helpful and friendly. Start with one of the specialty cocktails like the Alvin Punch and prepare yourself for a fun evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- local findasquareDined on 9/13/2014a very nice experience with great music. After a few minor problems with the wait staff and management being made aware (they visit tables) all went very wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014Every single item we had for dinner was outstanding - the fried green tomatoes, poached shrimp appetizer, 'Westchester's best' fried chicken and the duck breast all were amazing. Even the sides blew us away. We loved the ambiance too. Only tips are that if it's a rainy night, give yourself extra time to find parking - we were late for our reservation because we couldn't find a place to park. I think they may have valet parking but we didn't realize that. Also was a little loud with the jazz music but it was fun. Absolutely love this place!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Food was tasty. Ambience was pleasant. Staff was attentive. Fried chicken could have been seasoned better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014We always enjoy the experience of Alvin & Friends. It is a very warm, friendly neighborhood restaurant. New Rochelle is a vibrant and diverse community. The patrons at Alvin's reflect the diversity and spirit of the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thefridaygroupVIPDined on 9/6/2014We were looking forward to dining at Alvin and Friends. My 3rd time and my friend's 1st. Unfortuantely, on one of the hotest days of the summer, the A/C was not working (or at least that's what I assumed). Even though I commented on how hot the restaurant was neither the hostess, waitress nor manager advised us of what the situation was. They were setting up for a big party and that seemed to be the focus. The staff was friendly, the food good, but not as great as in the old location. We couldn't wait to leave. If you live in NR I would suggest giving it a try, but not it's not worth the schlep from cross county.
- Great combo for food and musicsindromeVIPDined on 9/5/2014Excellent food that ticks the comfort box but also has unusual and interesting features. Drinks from the bar were well put together. Atmosphere was friendly and the mixed crowd people and age-wise all seemed to fit in fine. Live jazz rounded things off nicely.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Jazz was fantasic, Nicki Brizzi is incredible. We loved the food and drinks. The only negative was that the A/C was broken. We will be back to try other items on the menu and hopefully enjoy more Jazz.Special Features:
- Nice time.PeasinapodDined on 9/4/2014Very romantic. Great food and great service. Everyone was kind and welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and entertainmentpumpkinDined on 8/24/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants in the area (and there are many to choose from). Personal service; Alvin or his wife usually come by to the table to make sure everything is top notch, and a unique menu make this place unbeatable. We recommend the catfish, duck, or salmon as an entree. You can't beat the mini corn muffins that are served before the meal and the bread pudding for dessert. Often on weekends there is live entertainment and we have never been disappointed with the ability of the performers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpectedly vibrant and fun!MCCFoodieVIPDined on 8/24/2014We came to Alvin and Friends to celebrate my sister's birthday. All the food from starters to desserts was amazing. We were a party of 5 with 3 picky eaters so that's a rave. Alvin and his lovely wife came over often to check on us and see if we were enjoying our evening. They are both delightful and made us feel like old friends. The live music was incredible so I want to go back on a Saturday night with a date for a different kind of evening. Will definitely return and highly highly recommend!!Special Features:
- Charming!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Delicious savoring comfort food. That make you want to hum!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun lunch experience!JerryFDined on 8/23/2014My family and I went to Alvin and Friends and enjoyed a relaxing lunch after a visit to the Bronx Zoo. Service was dicey but they were short handed and did try very hard with a smile on their face. The food was good. We had the wonderful fried chicken, collard greens and mac and cheese. My wife said that the collard greens (chock full of country ham) were the best she's ever eaten and she's from Charleston SC! Iced tea was freshly brewed. Alvin himself came by and greeted us warmly. All in all, a very pleasant experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpressiveDocDDined on 8/22/2014Finally another place in New Rochelle that I can experience great food and ambience without trekking down to NYC. Alvin is a great host who greeted us at the door and continued to check in on us to insure we were happy with the service. The live music was also a treat. I will be going back regularly.Special Features:
- service couldn't be betterTooYummyDined on 8/22/2014We had a great time at Alvin's from our knowledgeable waitress, prompt and attentive waitstaff, the charm of the owner who makes it a point to greet the guests...oh and did I mention the food and drinks. YUM! Simply delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RicharfVIPDined on 8/21/2014Great food at a new great location. The outdoor seating area is very nice and at a much nicer, larger location than previously. The owner, Alvin, still comes out to greet the patrons and adds a very personal touch. The food, thankfully, has not changed with the move. We started with the mussels which were tasty. My date and I had the oxtail and the cajun duck, both very delicious. We usually head into Manhattan for dinner but decided to stay in New Rochelle that evening. We don't regret it and will be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Manhattan FeelNounouneDined on 8/14/2014For Westchesternites who love going to NYC but don't like the parking fees followed by the trek back home, Alvin and Friends is definitely a place for you. The look, feel, environment, and ambiance while dining takes you there. And under $5.00 to park your car! Hello! I have been there on three separate occasions with family and friends and the experience was wonderful. I highly recommend Alvin and Friends. Check out their website for events and go, sit, eat, drink, listen to music, and socialize!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Brunch with a Dash of SoulOut4GoodEatsVIPDined on 8/10/2014Lively Jazz Entertainment a nice addition. Friendly staff and incredible food will bring us back often. Chef's Favorite, entree 1 - Best Grits! The 2nd entree, Fried chicken to perfection, a crispy delicious treat up to the last bite. Desserts for sharing are a must have.Special Features:
- Tasty but Noisy!MusicandfoodVIPDined on 8/9/2014The food was wonderful but this place is far too noisy and reverberant for the jazz trio which was the evening's featured entertainment.Special Features:
- wonderfulmaraineyDined on 8/6/2014As always a wonderful time, great food, I usually get a a Dark and Stormy (they make the best drinks). This time i tried the coconut martini, OMG it was fantastic to the 10 power!RamSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in New RochelleFernandoDined on 8/5/2014I went to Alvin and friends to celebrate my wife's birthday with my aunt and uncle. The location, food and prices were just perfect. Wide variety of choices on the menu to choose from and the owner, Mr. Clayton, came out to our table and engaged in friendly conversion that also highlighted the night. His self created works of art on the walls also add to the beautiful decor of the place and enhance the ambiance. Would definitely go again and encourage friends to visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely brunch!LauralynDined on 8/3/2014We met friends there, sat outside, listened to the live jazz music, Alvin came over & welcomed us, answered all of our questions & was a very gracious host! We had a bit of a time constraint so we let our server know & she made it all happen 😃 The food was delish, I, of course, had order envy, I had an omelette, which was good but the banana French toast looked awesome! Can't wait to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delicious!AngelaDined on 8/2/2014Alvin's food and service are always great. Alvin treats everyone like family stopping by your table interested in if you are satisfied and making sure you are being taken care of. His staff are always polite and on top of their game. I crave his catfish as my husband does his fried chicken,but there are many delicious dishes on the menu all worthy of trying. I love Alvin's for the whole experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Makes you feel welcomeJoVaDined on 8/2/2014Our server Daniella was excellent, cordial and attentive. The food is innovative. The watermelon soup and flourless chocolate cake were good. The wedge ceasar salad with shrimp tasty highlighted by the buttermilk dressing. However the lima beans were disappointing and somewhat bland. Plus half of the bowl was red peppers and onions. Therefore for a $16 entree for lunch it wasn't worth it. The mini corn bread muffins helped to save the day! The lunch menu seemed and felt limited. Dishes from the brunch and dinner menus should be incorporated since they sounded more interesting. However as a whole the dining experience was very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014Enjoyed the ambience, food, music, and service. The owner, Alvin was welcoming and helped to make our evening pleasant with great customer focus. Highly recommend this restaurant, which is in a great location and with parking both next to and across from the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceILoveBrunchNMimosasDined on 7/23/2014I took my mom here for her birthday. The service was excellent. The owner and his wife were very friendly and pleasant and chatted with us. The food selections are a blend of soul food and dishes you would find in New Orleans. The restaurant is decorated with colorful paintings, some done by the owner, making one feel comfortable and at ease. The music selection and lighting were great. I plan to go again for brunch and when they have their live jazz band. I ordered the oxtail stew with coconut rice and beans which was a blend of sweet and savory. The only con I would say is that they don't let you substitute sides. Other than that, a wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JeanOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/20/2014Excellent food and service. We went there for Sunday brunch. Besides the great food, there was also a live bandSpecial Features:
- Amazing FoodjcafowlerDined on 7/18/2014I came here on my date night and loved the place. They start you with mini cornbread that is to die for, me and my gf fought over them! I had the shrimp and grits and boy was it flavorful. I've never had anything like it! My gf had the oxtail and it was great the rice and peas used cream of coconut which was a change from the coconut milk I'm used too. We had a strawberry shortcake for dessert and it was the best one I've ever had. We had a few cocktails as well and I recommend the planter's punch. Overall it was a great evening. I look forward to returning for brunch.Special Features:
- Didn't measure upRedefinedivyDined on 7/16/2014The food was not as good as I had heard about but the décor and ambience was wonderful. The owner is so charming, friendly, and just seems to have a great welcoming spirit!
- PersonALitybellyofthebronxDined on 7/12/2014We visited to celebrate our anniversary right before going to the movies. We were seated right away and our server was extremely attentive. We started with the Crab Cake which was just ok, and the Ceasar Wedge Salad with roasted beans that outshone the crab cake. We both loved our entrees. The fried chicken came with Mac and cheese and collard greens with just enough spice. My shrimp and grits were perfectly cooked and seasoned. Portions were small, but quality made up for quantity. We watched Alvin visit every table, and when he got to is we realized he is quite the character. My wife noticed and was impressed that the only colors in the room came from the art on the walls, which Alvin told us he painted himself. You must visit soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/11/2014The entire staff from the Hostess, to waitress, busboy & owner were very attentive & always were checking in on you. It made you feel special as if you had been there numereous times. But it was just our first & definitely not our last. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great vibegoodEatsGirlDined on 6/28/2014A little too loud for any conversation. Most dishes were well made and delicious, but a few were just not good. Sticking with what they do best is probably better in the long run. The cocktails were AMAZING!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistantly GoodMiddleageddinerDined on 6/28/2014We hadn't been to Alvin's since it opened in the new space. What an improvement! Bright and airy with nice outdoor seating too. We loved the piano music and have always enjoyed the art. The cocktails and dinner we ordered were terrific. I highly recommend this lovely restaurant for it's ambiance and food. The charm of its owner doesn't hurt either;-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jem in WestchesterRavisDined on 6/28/2014Being very familiar with the West Indian food scene in NY, I was astonished to find such an interesting spin on West Indian food in Westchester. Food was great. Alvin was a charm-he walked around from table to table to greet the guests. It was a sincere gesture. Rum punch was as authentic as you can find out of the Caribbean and the coconut martini was delish. Nice to see a fancy restaurant in New Rochelle that keeps it real as far as soul and flavor is concerned. Will go back skipping.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of westchester's best!!!BrianshawnDined on 6/27/2014We have been going to Alvin's since they opened. Food and service is always impeccable; professional and friendly. Can't say enough about this place. And Alvin and his wife are the consummate hosts. A New Rochelle gem. Have to try the duck, best I have ever had. And live music adds to the enjoyment.Special Features:
- What an Experience!FancytheFoodieDined on 6/26/2014The food and service at Alvin and Friends was simple excellent. I definitely plan to dine there again! P.S. They serve the best Moscato wine.Special Features:
- Always the right choiceBianca9253VIPDined on 6/25/2014We are never disappointed. We dined al fresco and the food and the service was excellent. Alvin is a wonderful host. You feel like you are in his home.Special Features:
- fish n gritsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/22/2014The ambiance was perfect. Service was great. The food was just ok. I had the curry crab chowder. Flavorful but too watery. Had the catfish n grits. While the fish wss good itcwas not grits served with the fish. The textute felt like polenta and it was too pastey and cheesy. That sauce with spinach and tomato peppers and onions is not a good combo on pokenta. Daughter had salmon. She enjoyed her food. Salad is also goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharmingAmealVIPDined on 6/20/2014What a wonderful atmosphere created by this neighborhood gem.... You will just love the menu.....providing your a foodie! Alvin is the most charismatic and involved owner who genuinely cares about your dining experience Bravo!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.