1230 Grandview Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15211Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.altiuspgh.com/
- Phone: 4129044442x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jessica Gibson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Altius
As Executive Chef & Partner of Altius, Jessica Bauer's approach to contemporary American cuisine is refined and modern with a respect for the integrity and quality of her ingredient driven menu. Your first visit may be for the view, but you will return again and again to enjoy one of Pittsburgh’s best premiere fine dining experiences. With modern surroundings, higher hospitality and an organic and sustainable wine menu, every part of your experience has been thought of and designed with care.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Altius - Best Restaurants in Mt. Washington ›
Altius reviews from OpenTable diners
404 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (381)special occasion (312)fit for foodies (273)romantic (253)hot spot (120)notable wine list (118)neighborhood gem (88)good for groups (81)vibrant bar scene (44)late-night find (31)great for brunch (31)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014We were celebrating our anniversary and wanted a special restaurant. We found it! We were lucky to get a window seat and the view was fantastic! It was a Steeler game and there were fireworks on the river. Our waiter was very attentive and the food was excellent. We had the salmon and halibut which were simply delicious! The 3 choices of breads were outstanding. We will be going back and telling our friends all about the wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!vivzeeDined on 10/19/2014If you are in Pittsburgh this place is a must! Great atmosphere, food and the view is the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointingTraveledFoodieDined on 10/18/2014Thankful for the view as it was the only good thing at Altius. The decor lacked warmth as well as the service, which wasn't poor just lacking any sense of welcome. The drinks were delicious but the food was well below expectations. The flavoring was just off, we ordered the lamb and the filet and neither of us finished our plates, which is very uncommon. It's a shame because this could be such a great spot.Special Features:
- AmazingCustomerDined on 10/18/2014The service is friendly, the appetizers and atmosphere are a great first impression, the meal is delicious, and you get exactly what you pay for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the food and the atmosphere.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014Beautiful view of the city. Food was very creative and very delicious. Would recommend to friends. A great place to have a party, they have multiple rooms.Special Features:
- VibrantStuffy2014Dined on 10/18/2014Excellent food, service, ambiance, exactly what you'd expect from a trendy restaurant. What a welcomed addition to Mt. Washington. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food - table service subparLUCADined on 10/18/2014The bar tenders were friendly and knowledgeable - recommended a good glass of wine to me. Our server was uninterested and did not enhance the experience at all. My wife asked politely - I am sorry I did not get your name, and he responded a little arrogantly - because I did not tell you. He was there to take our order, drop off food and refill water - for the $$$ spent, he did not encourage us to return. The food was very good, we enjoyed all of our food - but it was over priced as was the wine and cocktails list.Special Features:
- View,decor,food outstandingLisaZDined on 10/17/2014This updated gem on top of Mt. Washington delivers on all points. The view of the city on the rivers below just add to the ambiance of this beautifully renovated restaurant. Food and service were highlights of this visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice placejorge68Dined on 10/17/2014Overall great place. Food was great but not "The Best." However I would add this to the list of restaurants to goto in Pittsburgh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome as usualcandygirlVIPDined on 10/17/2014I took a client to Altius to celebrate a great result and I was so pleased with everything from the service the quality of food and the ambiance. It is my go to place for celebrations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalLancebuDined on 10/17/2014My wife and I absolutely loved everything about Altius! The food was fantastic, the staff was terrific and the view of the city was great. We haf the pork chop and short rib, both were perfectly cooked. I highly recommend Altius.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mt Washington deatinationOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/17/2014Altius is a beautiful special occasion restaurant. However the menu is limited, as is the choice of wines by the glass. It is relatively expensive for the portion size. You are paying for the spectacular view, so be sure to request a table near the windows. There are tables 4 rows back from the windows upstairs, with no view. Their sister restaurant, Bistro 19 in Mt Lebanon, is our preference.Special Features:
- altiusaltiusDined on 10/12/2014food was a bit overpriced. the service was excellent. the view was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best dining experience in Pitt!!jujuDined on 10/11/2014it was my first time visiting Pitt and this was my favorite and most memorable restaurant. The service was exceptional (both from our waiter and bar tender). The view is breathtaking and menu is simply delicious. Def recommend this place for late night dine or for a romantic meal.Special Features:
- Repeat customer... Still impressed.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/11/2014I have been here several times. I'm always happy with the meal I have. There are some touches with the cuisine, which I think could be improved. But overall it's always a five star experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- modern food & interior, great viewOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014The food and desserts are amazing. They gave us complimentary little treats that are so good and such a nice touch. The chairs are leather and so comfortable. It's Mount Washington, so you know the views are unbeatable. The interior is very clean and modern. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable. It was classy and high-end without feeling stuffy and pretentious.Special Features:
- Wonderful new restaurantChriscamDined on 10/11/2014Four of us went to Altius for my birthday celebration. The renovations are awesome as is the food, view ,and service! This space used to be the Georgetown Inn but you would never know it. Everyone from the hostess to the bus people were so helpful and accommodating. Every item we ordered was delicious! I had the sweet potato soup with bourbon marshmallows, shared a charcuterie platter, and salmon encrusted with everything bagel spices. There are some unexpected surprises such as the truffle oil popcorn for the table, a taste of sundried tomato risotto from the chef and a little bag with a salted caramel brownie for each of us to take home, since it was my birthday I was given a complimentary cheesecake caramel flan that we all shared:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lot of moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/11/2014I spent a lot of money and received little for it! Very disappointed!
- MagicDined on 10/11/2014Our party of four had the pork chop, salmon, short rib and halibut. Every one was excellent. The pork chop was the best I ever had. The truffle popcorn on your table is a nice touch. Also, the chef sends out little surprises during the meal and gives you one to take home. Of course, the view of the city is priceless. Our waitress was wonderful!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They keep getting better.....onthemountVIPDined on 10/10/2014My most recent dinner at Altius was the BEST yet. Speed of service, and prepared drink and food were so much improved! The duck was perfectly done and the wait staff gave excellent recommendations. The atmosphere has always been top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- second visitharyoungsrDined on 10/10/2014Second visit to Altius we took friends who are present real estate clients of my wife. The view is spectacular, the restaurant is beautiful the servers were attentive, but the food was not as good as the first time . I had the lamb shank which was ok, something in the side dish of cous cous was hard(roasted chick peas). The lamb just did not taste quite right. The Butternut Squash Ricotta Gnocchi which my wife had was good but not great. The clients both ate the wall eye special and if it was special they did not say so. The total bill came to close to $400.00, expensive and not worth it. The menu is interesting but I think they are trying too hard to be different.Special Features:
- Pittsburghs BestPearlVIPDined on 10/9/2014A beautiful restaurant with food and view to match...outstanding in every way. If you have one night in Pittsburgh, spend it here.Special Features:
- First time at AltiusOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/8/2014Terrific renovation. Our table was upstairs (note: my elderly mother was with us and there is no elevator available) and was a terrific table with an incredible view. Server was pleasant. We had a guest arrive late there was no one at the front desk; had to find us on his own. It took a while for cocktails to arrive. Our starters were average, not bad but not memorable either. Dinners were fantastic although the salmon and pork chop were slightly overdone especially after being warned that Chef makes them medium rare. Desert was enjoyed by those who had it but we found the list limited. We took our own wine and were charged corkage. All in all it was a lovely evening and we will definitely return.Special Features:
- Altius EngagesDaveDined on 10/8/2014Pittsburgh's Mt. Washington has another first-class restaurant with a spectacular view of the city. Altius on Grandview Avenue combines a creative menu with superb food to enjoy a spectacular vista of three great rivers and a vibrant city. DaveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent from appetizer to dessertDiner2000Dined on 10/6/2014We enjoyed everything - great attention to food detail. Outstanding salame, soup, entree, delicious sides and dessert. We shall return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent fresh new restaurantMikeDined on 10/5/2014Our second visit in 3 weeks and we will be there again soon. The menu is creative, te good is excellent. The restaurant is fresh and beautiful - very relaxing with a great view. We have bee for dinner and brunch. Both were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerEpirnDined on 10/4/2014Had wonderful dinner Lamb is very good. The snapper was not my favorite. Bar has wonderful cocktails. I recommend the Accomplice. Great views from every part of restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CarolDined on 10/4/2014It was a great evening until we waited 30 minutes for our car from the Valet service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a viewHonestFoodieDined on 10/4/2014Great new restaurant with a fabulous view. The lamb chops were cooked perfect. The beet terrine was taste and nice twist on beet salad. The halibut special with green curry sauce warlt in York mouth delicious. Save room for the Stawberry/rhubarb cheesecake pretzel thingy...SOOO good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome! !briankrainVIPDined on 10/3/2014Just awesome!! I wanted to go back the next nite but already had plans. So we will be there soon again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Great - superb food and viewpinksmileDined on 10/3/2014My second time here, this time on a private occasion. The food was great, the service excellent and the view is perfect . We had the corner table with an even better view and really enjoyed the evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around excellent new hot spot!PittsburghCoupleVIPDined on 10/2/2014Fantastic on every level. We rode up on the incline. Great for a special night. The food and service were impeccable. The view was stunning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StevePeteVIPDined on 10/1/2014I dine often in Pittsburgh and Altius is THE restaurant to go to. Bea and her staff are top notch, the view is amazing and the atmosphere is magical.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/30/2014Delicious dinner. Wonderful view. Thoughtful staff moved us to an even better view table for dessert. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Birthday DinnerstuckingettysburgDined on 9/29/2014We drove 4 hours to Pittsburgh for my birthday on Monday. Being a fine dining server myself, I wanted a great dining experience to end our wonderful day. Altius matched all my criteria, and exceeded my expectations! The friendly staff seated us on the second floor at a beautiful window-side table, just as requested. Everyone with whom we interacted was professional but not stuffy, which is always a plus. Our drinks were wonderful, as was our food. I had the strip steak, which was cooked nicely (loved the smoked mushrooms), and my boyfriend had the paradise island shrimp, which he enjoyed, but thought perhaps there could be a bit less risotto and one more shrimp. My birthday dessert was 'on the house', an unexpected treat! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful service, food and viewnikwolfe7Dined on 9/28/2014Food was superb, service was amazing, the ambiance was chill, and the view was incredible. It's a little pricey, but you actually get what you pay for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Altius restaurant50isthenew40Dined on 9/28/2014Everything was exceptional! Professional and pleasant staff. The brunch cocktail, fresh baked pastries ,oysters, main dishes, all very good. The scenic view could not be better. Price is more than fair for the quality of food and service provided.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time at AltiusnanetteVIPDined on 9/27/2014Being big fans of Bistro 19 we were anxious to try Altius and we were not dissappointed. The food and drinks were delicious, very similar to B19, and the decor is beautiful. I loved the way the tables we placed so that everyone got the outstanding view that Mt Washington is famous for. The service was top notch. Everything was explained thoroughly. The evening was pricey, more so than B19, but I think it's consistent for Mt Washington. We had a great time with our friends, and look forward to returningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reginaVIPDined on 9/27/2014great food , great service, bar area got a little loud as evening progressed. would return.Special Features:
- Big surpriseSkipsterDined on 9/27/2014From the moment you enter the restaurant to the moment you exit a truly remarkable experience. The staff is friendly, knowledgeable and attentive but not to the degree that you feel you are being pestered. I would rate our evening as a romantic adventure. The view of the Pittsburgh skyline from Altius is as good as from any point on Mount Washington which only adds to the romantic atmosphere. And the best part of Altius is the food. Simply put - delicious . This will soon be one of the toughest reservations to make as the word spreads and the word will spread.Special Features: