1230 Grandview Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15211Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.altiuspgh.com/
- Phone: (412) 904-4442
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jessica Gibson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Altius
As Executive Chef & Partner of Altius, Jessica Bauer's approach to contemporary American cuisine is refined and modern with a respect for the integrity and quality of her ingredient driven menu. Your first visit may be for the view, but you will return again and again to enjoy one of Pittsburgh’s best premiere fine dining experiences. With modern surroundings, higher hospitality and an organic and sustainable wine menu, every part of your experience has been thought of and designed with care.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Altius - Best Restaurants in Mt. Washington ›
Altius reviews from OpenTable diners
418 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (384)special occasion (322)fit for foodies (295)romantic (265)hot spot (133)notable wine list (128)neighborhood gem (99)good for groups (88)vibrant bar scene (46)great for brunch (40)late-night find (30)great for lunch (7)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- One of Pittsburgh's finest.vammfmDined on 11/22/2014Add Altius to your list of "must try." Once you try it, you will become a frequent diner! If you are visiting Pittsburgh, Altius is a reason to return to our beautiful city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not What It Should BeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/22/2014The food was uninspired. Mostly bland, overdone portions. Service wasfriendly albeit a bit slow. The fact that they couldn't get the air conditioner to stop blowing on us despite every effort and the regular dimming of the lights due to the incline, makes for it not to be the special occasion restaurant ant that it ought to be.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Altius Dinner - 11/22/14KennyDined on 11/22/2014Bartenders and waiter were excellent and very engaging in conversation. Made for a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded my Higher ExpectationsDrewDined on 11/22/2014Altrius is an incredible dining experience. The service is impeccable and the food is absolutely amazing and delicious. If that isn't enough the scenic view of Pittsburgh at night will take your breath away. I highly recommend Altrius. Great Job Chef! The bone marrow and the Halibut with the pumpkin risotto was incredible. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food - Attentive ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/22/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at Altius. The food was amazing. The server was very attentive and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- View his spectacular. We loved the way the bar.RogerDined on 11/22/2014The food was very good. Would like to see a rib eye on the menu. A bit noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014We had a wonderful dinner at Altius. The food was amazing and the view was terrific. Valet parking was a good value at $6.00. We will be returning soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014We had dinner there for light up night, the view was fantastic. We received great service and the food was out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pgh ... A new classic!odeneVIPDined on 11/21/2014Best view in United States! Food outstanding. Make reservation one month out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A truly terrific experience - would recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014A truly terrific experience - would recommend to anyone looking for a memorable evening in the Pittsburgh area. Excellent food and service with a dynamite view of the city. One of the best dinners I've had while traveling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for special occasions.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014A few friends were coming to town, one of whom had never been to Pittsburgh. We went to Altius, and had a wonderful experience. Obviously the view can't be beat. Our service was spectacular, and everyone was impressed with their food and drinks. I have to say, the menu wasn't that exciting, so I'd save this place for when I want the view and whole experience rather than trying new food. I'd recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tremendous view with food and service to matchJerryDined on 11/16/2014I walked in and was instantly impressed. It's a very contemporary restaurant which I love, and it has one of the best views due to the glass wall. The food was fantastic and the servers were extremely friendly and on top of things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atlius' meaning is applicable in more than one wayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014This restaurant was a great find. The meaning in latin for Atlius is higher and the restaurant is higher above the city giving a spectacular view but the food is also higher in quality and taste. The chef gave out two extra small dishes during the course of our meal which tasted wonderful. The starter and all three main dishes ordered at our table were wonderfully prepared; my family was very happy with the food. We received a great window table, but when leaving we looked around the rest of the room and there would not be a bad spot to seat. Every table comes with an exquisite view of the city, it was very beautiful at night. I can't wait to return and try a new meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great viewssje1952Dined on 11/16/2014Spectacular views of the city are available in this newer restaurant. Service was spot on and they brought extras to the table for tasting. While the food was good, it didn't hit the higest marks for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulRCRCDined on 11/15/2014Great food and service Pork chop was fabulous and wine deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/15/2014Absolutely Amazing. As stunning as it was amazing. If Pgh had a Zagat guide, it would get a 29. And as we all know nobody get a 30. Not even the French Laundry. Quite rare for a new restaurant to be this flawless. The food was as outstanding as the service. We are coming back tomorrow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best viewBBC0524Dined on 11/15/2014Food was excellent from start to finish. Attentive staff, great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovethisplaceVIPDined on 11/12/2014Everyone was rude, from the maitre d to the bartender to the server. Food was ok. Will not return
- FabulousMickiDined on 11/11/2014We have been here several times and each time it has been exciting, delicious and always top notch. A great selection of menu items and the popcorn is always is a fun and new flavor! Great place!Special Features:
- outstanding on every level!!babella22Dined on 11/11/2014Outstanding on every level...can't wait to return!!The food was delicious...the service...couldn't have been better!!! The view priceless...I appreciate the passion and commitment of the entire Altius team!! Congrats!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- congrtulationstheproviderDined on 11/11/2014I came to Altius knowing some of the cooks working there so i knew i was in for an amazing meal, i did not expect the expierence that followed. The food was incredible ranging from refreshing in their Blue Point oysters to the amazingly rich and savory long short rib. The service is perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingMiaaVIPDined on 11/9/2014Amazing all around! Great food, service, view, valet, music choice and level (Not loud, just pleasant).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcome, Altius!ZiggyVIPDined on 11/9/2014For too long when selecting a restaurant in Pittsburgh one had to choose between the quality of the food and the attractiveness of the view.That has gradually changed and a recent example is Altius, which offers the highest quality of both. Whatever the measure -- food quality and inventiveness, flexibility, service, ambience...and view, Altius has risen to the top of our list. Whether it be for a large dinner or a small Sunday brunch, Altius deserves five stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014Second brunch experience. Beautiful, relaxing restaurant. Menu is interesting but food is mostly average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/8/2014Although the noise level was very high at times, everything was excellent-food, service and ambiance. The view of the city is fabulous (it was a clear night which made it even better). We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Date NightLuv2dinePittsburghDined on 11/8/2014Me and my wife enjoyed this great restaurant recently. We were out for our date night without kids and celebrating my wife's birthday. The restaurant seemed very accommodating to our preferences seated us close to window with a million dollar view of Pittsburgh city skyline. Everything from seating to food selection to quality of service just made our day. We truly loved the moments we shared together here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SandyDined on 11/8/2014Wonderful experience. Had a great time - view, food, service. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in Pittsburgh!PittsburghdinerDined on 11/8/2014We were entertaining out of town guests and picked Altius especially for its scenic view. However, the food and service out did the view. This restaurant is fabulous!! Our waiter's recommendations were right on, everything we ordered was delicious. We can't wait to go back. If you are planning on going, make your reservation early; we made ours almost 2 weeks in advance.Special Features:
- AmazingAmanduhprekupDined on 11/7/2014View was amazing Food was amazing Night was amazing Loved itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GemCUZ69Dined on 11/6/2014Dining at Altius was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. The food, including appetizer, entree, surprise bites, bread, and dessert was all "delectable". The price is high and the view is from high up. The atmosphere is clean and soothing. A perfect place to enjoy a special dining occasion.Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurantlapisDined on 11/4/2014I was so pleased with my birthday dinner at Altius! First of all, they have the wonderful view of Pittsburgh and all its lights and bridges. from their Mt Washington lookout. The food is imaginative and inspired, I loved all the sauces! My husband said the halibut was the best he had ever had. The food is a good mix, everyone should be able to find something tasty. The portions were good for me, I do not like to overeat. The servers are well trained. I even got a free birthday dessert, with happy birthday written on the plate in chocolate. They even sent us home with a couple of cookies! The restaurant is expensive, so I would save it for special occasions, or to take visitors to see the view and have a drink and appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A view that suits the foodinquisitivepicureDined on 11/2/2014The view of downtown is incredible. The ambiance of the room and the decor is superb. It is modern, but not overdone. We went for brunch. It was delicious. The up-sell on the pastries is well worth it. (Simply the best blueberry muffin I have ever tasted.) The service was attentive, but not intrusive. I will definitely return for another meal in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StorminNormanDined on 11/1/2014Was a spectacular evening...the view, the service, the food....perfect!!....and we sat next to Ken Rice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Remarkable!!Melissalynn3Dined on 11/1/2014We celebrated my husbands 50th here and couldn't have chosen a better place! Excellent service by mike. Delicious apps, fantastic drinks and amazing main courses! And of course delectable desserts! We enjoyed the beautiful view and we able to eat at a leisurely pace, unusual for a restaurant on Mt Washington. Just a fantastic evening from start to finish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good pork chop!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014I would highly recommend the pork chop dish. We also ordered the Seabass special for the evening and liked it but it wasn't our favorite.The sauce on the rissoto was heavy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/31/2014Beautiful view, awesome decor, great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic restaurantDeigerDined on 10/31/2014Took my friend here for a special reunion dinner and it was perfect. The view of the city at night time is amazing and the food was perfect. A bit expensive but probably worth the cost. Servers were very friendly and extremely knowledgeableSpecial Features:
- We'll be backDickDined on 10/31/2014First time at Altius. Outstanding view, as expected. Excellent food, as hoped. Charcuterie plate was as good as any we have ever had. Entrees - lamb and beef - were perfectly prepared and very well presented with interesting accompanying sides. There are more wines available than are on the wine list and the help of sommelier was appreciated. Leave room for dessert. Décor is understated and elegant. Don't miss this great addition to fine dining options for P'burg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Fall Menu was perfectDEB1Dined on 10/30/2014Took two friends that had not been here before and the 3 of us had a delightful meal & evening. I have eaten here 6-7 times and appreciated the change in menu featuring seasonal foods - from appetizer to dessert, flavorful and expertly prepared.Special Features:
- Very wondering dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/29/2014Very clean/modern look; very nice atmosphere. We sat upstairs in a corner, window table. Everything was quite enjoyable. We started off with the Charcuterie. When it was served, we were shocked at the amount of food on it. It was good, and would have been ideal for at least 4 people. As for the meals, they too were large. I ordered the Salmon and my husband ordered the Pork Chop. The Salmon was very good, but when I tasted the Pork Chop I quickly became jealous. It was amazing!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.