1230 Grandview Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15211Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.altiuspgh.com/
- Phone: 4129044442x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jessica Gibson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Altius
As Executive Chef & Partner of Altius, Jessica Bauer's approach to contemporary American cuisine is refined and modern with a respect for the integrity and quality of her ingredient driven menu. Your first visit may be for the view, but you will return again and again to enjoy one of Pittsburgh’s best premiere fine dining experiences. With modern surroundings, higher hospitality and an organic and sustainable wine menu, every part of your experience has been thought of and designed with care.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Altius - Best Restaurants in Mt. Washington ›
Altius reviews from OpenTable diners
388 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (369)special occasion (310)fit for foodies (261)romantic (256)notable wine list (118)hot spot (116)neighborhood gem (86)good for groups (80)vibrant bar scene (41)late-night find (32)great for brunch (29)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Wonderful service, food and viewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Food was superb, service was amazing, the ambiance was chill, and the view was incredible. It's a little pricey, but you actually get what you pay for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Altius restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Everything was exceptional! Professional and pleasant staff. The brunch cocktail, fresh baked pastries ,oysters, main dishes, all very good. The scenic view could not be better. Price is more than fair for the quality of food and service provided.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time at AltiusnanetteVIPDined on 9/27/2014Being big fans of Bistro 19 we were anxious to try Altius and we were not dissappointed. The food and drinks were delicious, very similar to B19, and the decor is beautiful. I loved the way the tables we placed so that everyone got the outstanding view that Mt Washington is famous for. The service was top notch. Everything was explained thoroughly. The evening was pricey, more so than B19, but I think it's consistent for Mt Washington. We had a great time with our friends, and look forward to returningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reginaDined on 9/27/2014great food , great service, bar area got a little loud as evening progressed. would return.Special Features:
- Big surpriseSkipsterDined on 9/27/2014From the moment you enter the restaurant to the moment you exit a truly remarkable experience. The staff is friendly, knowledgeable and attentive but not to the degree that you feel you are being pestered. I would rate our evening as a romantic adventure. The view of the Pittsburgh skyline from Altius is as good as from any point on Mount Washington which only adds to the romantic atmosphere. And the best part of Altius is the food. Simply put - delicious . This will soon be one of the toughest reservations to make as the word spreads and the word will spread.Special Features:
- outstanding servicephylbobDined on 9/27/2014Dining at Altius was a delight....The food was spectacular and the service impeccable....Our waiter was so professional without being pretentious.....A little pricey but certainly worth it......The 4 of us were very pleased!!!Special Features:
- Amazing.TinainPghVIPDined on 9/26/2014We were so happy to finally find a restaurant worthy of the spectacular views from Mt. Washington. Altius was a fabulous experience from the time we stepped inside until we left. The decor was smart and modern, the service was impeccable, the wine list is impressive, the food was delicious, and the view, of course, was magnificent. Nothing else on Mt. Washington even comes close. Altius is without a doubt our new favorite restaurant in Pittsburgh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!DaveHDined on 9/26/2014Food was great, the view from Mt. Washington is the best in Pittsburgh, service was very good. Lots of staff taking care of all needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding gem!WildcatDined on 9/26/2014Altius is a place you MUST visit to appreciate! Every detail has been attended to so that the diner's experience is superb! Thoughtful staff, amazing atmosphere, delectable choices! A five star experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded All ExpectationsPitt90Dined on 9/26/2014I'm from out of town, but grew up in Pittsburgh, and was looking for a special occasion spot to bring my partner and a friend to for a post-celebratory supper. I chose Altius from reviews and menu. It exceeded all expectations, and they were already pretty high. The food was outstanding. Truly delicious, and stunningly presented. The restaurant itself is gorgeous, with views that cannot be beat. The service was superb, and all the staff were professionals in every sense of the word. I celebrated 20 years of my relationship with getting married in Pennsylvania, and the Altius dining experience afterwards was truly the icing on the cake. Absolutely amazing experience (and I'm a bit of a foodie), and highly recommended.Special Features:
- Group Anniversary CelebrationNewHopeDinerVIPDined on 9/23/2014Six of us got together for a special dinner. Ambiance would have been better if we had been given a table near the windows. There were window tables open when we came in but we didn't push for it. Food was good but two dishes weren't top notch. The red snapper was disappointing - it was stinky when it came to the table, it was fried (not in the menu info) and it was too salty. Two people ordered this dish. One of the pork chops was too fatty. Finally, we wanted the white wine chilled but the restaurant's chiller instrument didn't use water/ice despite our request to do so. Very nice place but not sure I would go back. There are other Mt Washington restaurants to try.Special Features:
- Nice new restaurantRobertDined on 9/22/2014Interesting menu, great service and great view. Had a business dinner here.Special Features:
- Fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/21/2014It is rare that I'm able to say that every single bite was outstanding from appetizers to desserts. The view was spectacular and service was excellent. We went there for our anniversary and it couldn't have been better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2014two of us went for combined birthday dinners.service and food were outstanding. Go back in a minute!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceAnniversaryDined on 9/21/2014We made reservations for dinner for our 30th Anniversary. We were seated at a window table with a great view of the city. There was a red rose on the table for my wife. Our server was very attentive and our food was great. We ordered a dessert and the Chef wrote "Happy Anniversary" in chocolate on the plate. We were very pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Change!GT1189VIPDined on 9/20/2014Haven't been since this was the old Georgetown Inn and wow, what a change! Decor updated, food was outstanding, and the view is still the best on the hill. Downstairs was very noisy, but upstairs dining was perfect. We were seated close to, but not next to the window which was fine. There are tables where the view can be restricted, so be careful. Lamb chops were huge and delicious. Wife had the filet and loved it. Wine list is very limited. Ate too much for dessert, but we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Frequent flyerFrequentflyerVIPDined on 9/20/2014Another meal at Altius...getting even better. Limited wine list so brought our own wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing in everyway!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014The interior space is absolutely lovely. Subdued elegance abound! Each course was special and spectacular, delivered to our table with a relaxed professionalism that was un-intimidating. Every detail was carefully chosen to allow the diners attention to food and view. Well done!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ViewsWonderfulDined on 9/20/2014The views were great. My wife and I had a fantastic experience. The service was great and atmosphere was wonderful. It was just what I expected and then some.Special Features:
- Wonderful addition to PittsburghZiggyVIPDined on 9/19/2014We recently discovered this new restaurant quite by accident and took a visitor there for whom we wished to provide a special experience. We were not disappointed (and neither was he.) It was an outstanding choice -- a great additional to the several fine restaurants on Mount Washington. Everything was close to perfect -- the setting, the service, the menu choices, willingness to adjust the dishes to suit our requirements, and the quality of the food. We will certainly return soon.Special Features:
- Best in the cityShawnRVIPDined on 9/19/2014The view of the city is spectacular. I visit my son and his wife in Pittsburgh several times a year always trying out several restaraunts. Altius is by far the best dining experience i'Ve had to date. The lamb was the best I have had anywhere. I was hesitant to try the tongue but was so glad I did, absolutely delicious. Everyone in our party was blown away by the food and service. Two of our group are Pittsburgh natives and when I asked them how Altius compared to other restaurants in the city there response was simply "the best". Altius is a can't miss dining experience in Pittsburgh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- altiusbillbVIPDined on 9/18/2014Stunning view. Friendly staff. Amazingly delicious food. First visit and pleasantly surprised. Will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!FitfoodieDined on 9/18/2014Went there for my Birthday! The service was great. The food was also fantastic. I loved the ambiance. Very upscale modern. They even gave me a free dessert! The best part is is that their food is organic/sustainable. It's hard to find a restaurant in Pittsburgh that offers that. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bon AppétitEatPrayLoveDined on 9/16/2014Adorned on top of Mount Washington like a gem, the contemporary style and upscale service one would expect in any 5-star NYC restaurant is helping Altius quickly become a Pittsburgh joie de vivre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new restaurant!JoJo13Dined on 9/16/2014The view from the dining area is outstanding and the food is amazing! Altius is a great new restaurant for the 'burgh. Brian, the bartender, is fantastic and made awesome drinks for us. Service was delightful, decor is beautiful and the Charcuterie appetizer was fantastic! I had the chicken (amazing), my husband had the pork chop (amazing) and our friend had salmon (amazing). We didn't have enough room for dessert but the pastry chef was kind enough to send us home with a small to go treat which was also amazing :) Two thumbs way up and we are looking forward to going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Business DinnerChicagoDinerDined on 9/16/2014We had a wonderful meal and experience here. We took clients and it was perfect.Special Features:
- JeanDined on 9/15/2014This was my third time at Altius(2 times at the bar) so obviously,I love it.I'll be returning 2 more times by the middle of October...love sharing this wonderful new restaurant with friends.One suggestion...how about a small fresh flower bouquet at each table?Special Features:
- Elevated Mt. Washington DiningdnobleDined on 9/14/2014Altius is a very welcome addition to Mt. Washington dining - a restaurant where the view is secondary to the dining experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/14/2014The waiter was exceptional...I was there for brunch on the 14...Special Features:
- Newest and coolest in PittsburghYummyDined on 9/14/2014I love how fresh the food is and the scenic views. They did an amazing job making this a truly unique experience! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot great virwMmmmmmDined on 9/14/2014The view of Pittsburgh is spectacular. Some of the brunch for we had was great, some was just good. Really you can't go wrong!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow - what a view!Flea09Dined on 9/12/2014The view is AMAZING! There is not a better view in the whole city ...Special Features:
- Take It Up A NotchPattyDined on 9/12/2014The food was very good; but the service and setting need to take it up a notch to match the prices. Being seated in a back table upstairs was disappointing after making a reservation a month in advance, the staff should not interrupt diners' conversations and we didn't linger due to the unbearable noise level of the drunken guests at the next table.
- Nice Mt. Washington additionNightOutDined on 9/11/2014Bottom line - I will definitely return! The new décor is modern and welcoming. The food was spectacular (I had salmon) and our server was great. He was attentive without being intrusive which was appreciated since we were celebrating our anniversary.Special Features:
- Great food/too much servicemtwashingtonguyDined on 9/10/2014The food was fabulous. Ambiance very nice. Too many servers for me. I would prefer no more than 3 servers to attend to my table. 5 or 6 servers is too much. Just my opinion.Special Features:
- BEST OF THE BEST!!!AloysiusDined on 9/10/2014Spent evening with brother visiting from Costa Rica, seeing him only once a year, what a great view, food and service!!!Special Features:
- Great addition to Pgh diningEatoutDined on 9/10/2014Nice ingredients presented in interesting and delicious ways. The amuse bouche and after dinner treat were a nice touch. Friendly and efficient staff and beautiful decor enhanced the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/10/2014Loved the atmosphere!! Our waiter seated us, we then got settled and a woman came and told us we had to move. Crutches and all. Worst part was she was not friendly about it. Otherwise service was good. We all liked our dinners. Did not live the oysters or nocchi. Wish we could have ordered off both menus upstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mt Washington "Gem"jdanVIPDined on 9/10/2014We had my "birthday" dinner at Altrius this past week. The Skuna Salmon dish was great! The service was impeccable….our waiter, Rob, was knowledgeable and professional. My surprise birthday dessert, compliments of the restaurant, was a fabulous chocolate mousse cake. Of course, the view of the city of Pittsburgh is great from almost any spot in the restaurant. We had a table beside the window, so it was a perfect evening with a perfect view. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GFgirlDined on 9/9/2014Altius has a scratch kitchen so they can safely accomodate gluten free requests. They even provided a gluten free roll so I could have bread along with the rest of my table. My meal was fantastic and the others at my table had the same comment. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.