1230 Grandview Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15211Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.altiuspgh.com/
- Phone: 4129044442x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jessica Gibson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Altius
As Executive Chef & Partner of Altius, Jessica Bauer's approach to contemporary American cuisine is refined and modern with a respect for the integrity and quality of her ingredient driven menu. Your first visit may be for the view, but you will return again and again to enjoy one of Pittsburgh’s best premiere fine dining experiences. With modern surroundings, higher hospitality and an organic and sustainable wine menu, every part of your experience has been thought of and designed with care.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Altius - Best Restaurants in Mt. Washington ›
Altius reviews from OpenTable diners
367 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (353)special occasion (296)fit for foodies (250)romantic (245)notable wine list (115)hot spot (105)neighborhood gem (81)good for groups (74)vibrant bar scene (41)late-night find (29)great for brunch (27)great for lunch (10)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great new restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014The view from the dining area is outstanding and the food is amazing! Altius is a great new restaurant for the 'burgh. Brian, the bartender, is fantastic and made awesome drinks for us. Service was delightful, decor is beautiful and the Charcuterie appetizer was fantastic! I had the chicken (amazing), my husband had the pork chop (amazing) and our friend had salmon (amazing). We didn't have enough room for dessert but the pastry chef was kind enough to send us home with a small to go treat which was also amazing :) Two thumbs way up and we are looking forward to going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Business DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/16/2014We had a wonderful meal and experience here. We took clients and it was perfect.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/15/2014This was my third time at Altius(2 times at the bar) so obviously,I love it.I'll be returning 2 more times by the middle of October...love sharing this wonderful new restaurant with friends.One suggestion...how about a small fresh flower bouquet at each table?Special Features:
- Elevated Mt. Washington DiningdnobleDined on 9/14/2014Altius is a very welcome addition to Mt. Washington dining - a restaurant where the view is secondary to the dining experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/14/2014The waiter was exceptional...I was there for brunch on the 14...Special Features:
- Newest and coolest in PittsburghYummyDined on 9/14/2014I love how fresh the food is and the scenic views. They did an amazing job making this a truly unique experience! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot great virwMmmmmmDined on 9/14/2014The view of Pittsburgh is spectacular. Some of the brunch for we had was great, some was just good. Really you can't go wrong!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow - what a view!Flea09Dined on 9/12/2014The view is AMAZING! There is not a better view in the whole city ...Special Features:
- Take It Up A NotchPattyDined on 9/12/2014The food was very good; but the service and setting need to take it up a notch to match the prices. Being seated in a back table upstairs was disappointing after making a reservation a month in advance, the staff should not interrupt diners' conversations and we didn't linger due to the unbearable noise level of the drunken guests at the next table.
- Nice Mt. Washington additionNightOutDined on 9/11/2014Bottom line - I will definitely return! The new décor is modern and welcoming. The food was spectacular (I had salmon) and our server was great. He was attentive without being intrusive which was appreciated since we were celebrating our anniversary.Special Features:
- Great food/too much servicemtwashingtonguyDined on 9/10/2014The food was fabulous. Ambiance very nice. Too many servers for me. I would prefer no more than 3 servers to attend to my table. 5 or 6 servers is too much. Just my opinion.Special Features:
- BEST OF THE BEST!!!AloysiusDined on 9/10/2014Spent evening with brother visiting from Costa Rica, seeing him only once a year, what a great view, food and service!!!Special Features:
- Great addition to Pgh diningEatoutDined on 9/10/2014Nice ingredients presented in interesting and delicious ways. The amuse bouche and after dinner treat were a nice touch. Friendly and efficient staff and beautiful decor enhanced the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/10/2014Loved the atmosphere!! Our waiter seated us, we then got settled and a woman came and told us we had to move. Crutches and all. Worst part was she was not friendly about it. Otherwise service was good. We all liked our dinners. Did not live the oysters or nocchi. Wish we could have ordered off both menus upstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mt Washington "Gem"jdanVIPDined on 9/10/2014We had my "birthday" dinner at Altrius this past week. The Skuna Salmon dish was great! The service was impeccable….our waiter, Rob, was knowledgeable and professional. My surprise birthday dessert, compliments of the restaurant, was a fabulous chocolate mousse cake. Of course, the view of the city of Pittsburgh is great from almost any spot in the restaurant. We had a table beside the window, so it was a perfect evening with a perfect view. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GFgirlDined on 9/9/2014Altius has a scratch kitchen so they can safely accomodate gluten free requests. They even provided a gluten free roll so I could have bread along with the rest of my table. My meal was fantastic and the others at my table had the same comment. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RailroadBobDined on 9/9/2014The menu was enticing, the food was good. Overall, dining at Altius was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite menu, view and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014We celebrated my birthday at Altius on September 8th and it was absolutely lovely!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place for a Special Night3moren20Dined on 9/7/2014I took my boyfriend here for his 25th birthday, and it was a really nice night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality cooking skills and friendlyRedHeadDined on 9/7/2014My mom and I had an enjoyable brunch last Sunday We shared Seafood papardelle with olives and artichokes and Crispy Amish Chicken Waffle Sandwich with bourbon maple glaze, smoked gouda fondue, crispy bacon, candied jalapeno. Both great dishes. Staff was very accomodating to our drinks preference. Now I had been here for dinner twice and a brunch, only bar food is left to try and I am looking forward to it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itWinegal23Dined on 9/6/2014The service from the first step in to the last step out was great. The drinks were wonderful the wine list was very nice. The view of course was fantastic. The food was delicious. And the little cookies you take home were to die for yummm. Cheers to a great night out with friends. Thx AltiusSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDissapointmentVIPDined on 9/6/2014First time at Altius but will not be the last. Service was outstanding. Mentioned that we were celebrating a BD on my reservation and our waiter brought a complementary dessert, Everyone was very attentive. Great place to celebrate a special occasion. The remodel from Georgetown was as amazing as the view.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerdinerpgh34Dined on 9/6/2014I did not attend, though I booked the reservation. It was for my parents, who celebrated their 46th wedding anniversary that evening. They do not go to fancy dinners downtown all that often, and they had not been to Mt Wash for several years at least. I dropped them off and picked them up after dinner. My mother told me "it was the best meal they have ever had". They both ordered the pork chop, had the Accomplice drink (which I recommended), and also both ordered dessert. Happy Anniversary was written on their dessert plates. I do not recall what my mother had for dessert, but my father had the pineapple upside down cake. I was only disappointed because I had requested a table by the window and they did not receive one. Very disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply greatRedHeadDined on 9/6/2014Loved everything: clover club cocktail, amuse bouche (tuna tartar), bread with butter and pollen, sundried tomatoes spread, sheep’s milk ricotta gnocchi with yellow tomato coulis, roasted peppers, PA mushrooms, artichoke hearts, ricotta salatagnocchi, pork chop, cheesecake flan. Very good service and great view. My new favorite place in Pittsburgh. They trully elevated the bar of excellence.Special Features:
- Food betterMMMMDined on 9/5/2014Food better than other restaurants in that area. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Location RetyrnedSimonrDined on 9/5/2014This was the old Georgetown in site. Great Location! Great View of the City! The interior has been transformed into a modern restaurant with great ambiance. The food; menu; and service were outstanding.Special Features:
- Could be greatCarolVIPDined on 9/4/2014The ambience, ambitious menu and service were all pluses, however the food did not meet our expectations. Both my chicken and my husband's fish were over-cooked. The seasoning and sauces were good including some creative combinations. The panzanella salad was mostly cucumbers with just a few small pieces of the heirloom tomatoes typical of that dish. A few tweaks and Altius would be great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding, and with a great viewDickVIPDined on 9/4/2014On a short trip to Pittsburgh we were lucky enough to hear about and eat at Altius for a special occasion. Although it wasn't cheap, the food was better than we have had at restaurants costing much more in Washington D.C. and New York City. And the view of downtown Pittsburgh from Mt. Washington was breathtaking. A special find.Special Features:
- Amazing make overvenarjDined on 9/3/2014Would never guess the building was once the Georgetown, the makeover is stunning! Was thrilled to find a restaurant that serves sustainable & humane food, not everything on the menu, but enough so there are choices, it would just be nice if there were more choices. In each category there is one option, except the beef but the second option is not sustainable. Even the cocktail menu is limited to 12 drinks & when I tried to order off menu, they couldn't do it. What we had was good, service was great, just think they need to add a little & I truly mean a little more choice to the menu. I have never been offered an amuse buche that was not seafood. Allergic! & didn't like it before I found out, why do all chefs assume everyone likes seafood?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a fantastic restaurant!NewYorkerDined on 9/3/2014The best restaurant all around that I've been to in a very long time. Beautiful atmosphere; impeccable, friendly service, wonderful food and fantastic view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pittsburgh's FinestChablis33Dined on 9/3/2014As a native Pittsburgh foodie, I can't say enough about how excellent Altius is in all respects. Even one of our elderly Pittsburgh big-plate meat and potato guys just couldn't get enough and stop raving about how excellent the food was and how glad he was he didn't miss it. Service is superb as well. We loved it.Special Features:
- First time hereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/2/2014Great experience and a great meal. Would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressive ..... butDrBizzleVIPDined on 9/2/2014A Pittsburgh Top Spot (pun intended). We went twice in the same week, by choice. The decor is chic, the view is spectacular and the food is excellent and creative. Our service was flawless until the very end of the second night, when the staff seemed to evaporate. There were a few food runners and bussers that made brief appearances at other tables. However, the vigilant attention characteristic of fine dining went missing in our entire section for the last 25 minutes. Our table of four finally walked up to the bar area to pay. And, no apology made for this lapse in service. Will we go back? Of course! Although the next time we're going to ask for our server's cell phone number.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional dining experienceGrandfatherDined on 9/2/2014The entire evening was superb. First class in all aspects. Highly recommend and will certainly return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New heights for Sunday brunchClareDined on 8/31/2014We had a lovely brunch at Altius. The view alone was worth the stop. A beautiful cloudy, misty day provided a great scene to watch the trains, barges, and tour boats. The menu was truly unique and the portions were wonderfully generous and quite delicious. I didn't need to eat again until late evening! The staff was also attentive without being intrusive. All around, a positive experience! Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Frequent FlyerFrequentflyerVIPDined on 8/30/2014Rude start when you entered (below a 1 star), we were an inconvenience. They should be fired!!! Waited one hour before taking to table. Waiter made up for a terrible beginning - friendly, helpful. Food was superb! View was spectacular. Made the birthday celebration great. Very, very limited wine selection is the only other weakness. BE PREPARED FOR RUDE, INSENSITIVE TREATMENT WHEN YOU ENTER!Special Features:
- Quite disappointingPainterDined on 8/30/2014Can't beat the tableside views but contrary to previous positive reviews on this site, I can only express great disappointment with the overall taste of our food dishes and a very challenged wine list. eg: the red snapper dish was overwhelmed and dominated by the white beans, a very bland nage (maybe they forgot an ingredient to thicken or flavour), and a surprisingly dull fennel pollen. Perhaps our expectations were too high; and it didn't help that our party waited 45-50 minutes past our reservation time.Special Features:
- Surprise!HannaVIPDined on 8/30/2014We were celebrating a birthday and the entire experience from seating to departure was first class. Our server was lovely, made wonderful suggestions and was very "into" her work! We chose the lamb chops---2 double chops, cooked as requested, tender, tasty and beautifully presented on a bed of risotto and small carrots. My mouth is watering as I write. The breads and accompanying spreads were very good.A birthday dessert with candle arrived at the end of the meal(unrequested);a chocolate cake with banana ice cream; this was a perfect ending to a perfect dining experience! I will definitely return and will highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experience.okeydokeyDined on 8/29/2014From the truffle popcorn, to the amuse bouche, main course, and then of course, dessert - it was all elegantly prepared and delicious melding of favors. Extra care is taken with presentation. Little pastry given upon leaving was delicious enough to make us want to turn around and go back for seconds. Excellent service, and food exceeded expectations (which were set very high).Special Features:
- Great Date NightBManDined on 8/29/2014Had our special night dinner and was not disappointed. Well prepared and imaginative food. Great service. Great view. One of the better places to dine in Pittsburgh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.