92 Central Street
Wellesley, MA 02482Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.altastradarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7812376100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm -10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Michael Schlow
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Alta Strada
Whether nibbling on small plates at the antipasti-wine bar, sipping an espresso, or having a meal in the open dining room, Alta Strada will always be approachable and accessible to anyone and everyone. With a true smile and the genuine desire to take care of you while you’re “in our house”, Alta Strada will focus on the foods of Tuscany, Emilia-Romagna, Piedmont, and the Amalfi coast, while attempting to fill the much needed gap in Italian restaurants in America. Simply put, Alta Strada will be the place where you’ll find a perfectly made bowl of pasta, crispy thin pizza, gorgeous and abundant antipasti, and fantastic wines, all at a reasonable price, in a setting that could be found on a stylish via in Milan or Rome.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Alta Strada reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (58)fit for foodies (36)special occasion (27)great for lunch (22)good for groups (20)kid-friendly (17)notable wine list (8)hot spot (7)romantic (6)great for brunch (5)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Fantastic Restaurant in WellesleyCeat1VIPDined on 9/16/2014This was our second time dining at Alta Strada. The Halibut was really fantastic, cooked just the way I like it-a little crispy and done well but not overcooked. The service is great there. The eggplant appetizer was to die for! always a sure bet!Special Features:
- EnjoyablePeter1573Dined on 9/13/2014It starts with the small appetizers - excellent! Then the prosciutto on toasted bread with fig jam - delicious. And then the best halibut dish! Oh yes, and do not miss the Mascarporeo! Obviously we love the food there but somehow this restaurant manages to keep the service great since years despite the usual turnover in personel.Special Features:
- Not very inspiringOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014Although there are a few consistently nice items, the menu continues to be quite boring. Year after year the appetizers never change, and none of them are particularly good. The entrees change only by one or two items, and very seldom. It's always so loud you can hardly have a conversation across the table. My guest and I asked for separate checks, but the waitress brought only one and then said she could take two cards for it...Of course, the purpose was not to split the bill in half, so it made for an uncomfortable situation. We agreed when leaving that Alta Strada is in our past!Special Features:
- Fab food and service; a bit loudPickycriticDined on 9/4/2014The restaurant would be perfect if seating included tables set off in quieter parts of the room. It was very difficult to have an "audible" conversation. Food and service were impeccable. A bit pricey for the quantity served.Special Features:
- Lunch at Alta Stradatm2000VIPDined on 8/31/2014Recently had a weekend lunch at Alta Strada. Our group ordered 3 of the antipasti to share (calamari, spicy green beans, fresh ricotta). All were very good, flavorful and light. 2 of us had the salmon and spinach salad and one of our group had the mushroom luna pasta. The salmon salad was very substantial, but a bit on the salty side. The mushroom luna pasta is always very good. Pleasant lunch, good food, reliable. Nothing exceptional, but nothing bad.Special Features:
- deafening noiseBMW1954VIPDined on 8/30/2014great food, way too noisy- stay away from tables near the open kitchen- between the noise from the kitchen and the surrounding tables, it was impossible to have a conversation with the person across the table from me....Special Features:
- Oppi328VIPDined on 8/28/2014Alta Strada is a local Italian restaurant that offers a few interesting Mediterranean dishes. I ordered 5 small appetizers. I chose calamari with cucumbers, white beans, ricotta cheese with crunchy bread crackers, cold eggplant, and white anchovies with frisée. The white beans weren't very tasty, and the calamari came with too many small onions. My husband got some Italian tuna and a healthy grilled chicken breast entree with tomatoes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alta Strata is perfect every time.KathyDined on 8/26/2014No matter what's on the menu, the consistency of good food is there at Alta Stata. My favorites are the pastas and pizzas, as well as the fig and prosciutto appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not GreatsquirrelVIPDined on 8/26/2014Food is always good, but rarely great. Something about the flavors in the chopped salad I ordered was lackluster. Hardly ate any of it. Dessert was good, but didn't blow me away. I always expect more when I come here, but rarely get it.Special Features:
- great ItalianBangerDined on 8/23/2014we very much enjoyed our meal here. had a variety of items including pizzas and pastas. the mushroom ravioli (they use another name) are to die for and their pizzas are excellent as well. The antipasti are hit or miss but the tuna was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Very Special PlaceBelmontBlondieVIPDined on 8/23/2014My boyfriend and I met there for our first date 2 years ago and at 12:30am we looked up from our blissful conversation and noticed we were the only ones there! No one asked us to leave as they cleaned up and they smiled as we left holding hands! We just were there for our 2 yr anniversary and it was just as fabulous as every other time we've been there. I love the inventive cocktails, the crunchy veal meatballs, the service is terrific. Our server heard us mention celebration and sent over our sorbetto with a candle in it! We were touched! Alta Strada is a very special place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We live for the bolognese!lelaurie368VIPDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I are regulars here - my husband would say it's his FAVORITE restaurant, thanks in BIG part to the BOLOGNESE! It came off the menu for over a year and he (and I) were devastated! It's back and we've had it probably 4 times in the last 3 months! Another favorite of ours - the calamari small plate, mixed with either the greens or arugula salads. Such a great combo! Our only suggestion would be to bring the bread to the tables before the diners have to ask and offer more olive oil to go with the GIANT loaf - it's delicious and hard not to eat the whole thing before dinner arrives!Special Features:
- Always a great mealFantasticVIPDined on 8/15/2014One of the best restaurants around. Their bolognese is the best. It can get a little loud, but that's about the only negative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but a little loudLoveitthereVIPDined on 8/5/2014Great food and excellent service once again at Alta Stada. If they can just find a way to dampen the noise and also put a little more space between the tables (our table was 13 inches from the table next to us) - it would be excellent.Special Features:
- Best item we had was the bread.CleoDined on 8/2/2014Tables too high for banquet and chairs, very uncomfortable. I looked like a little kid reaching up to eat. I didn't order pasta as it would have been too hard to eat sitting so low. Had Halibut instead, as it sounded interesting. It was way overcooked, whole dish too dry and a great disappointment at $34.00. The price point was out of line with the rest of the menu . Restaurant was full, not sure if delay in receiving food was due to kitchen or server input. Very noisy had trouble hearing server. The bread was great.
- susanDined on 7/23/2014Went there to take a colleague out for a goodbye dinner. Food and service were very good. It is a small dining room and the noise level is high. It was very busy with families, couples and college students. A popular spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Change for the betterapprecia8VIPDined on 7/20/2014Have not previously been to Alta Strada for 5 years, until recently. Pleasantly surprised at the menu improvements. Reasonable range of light Italian choices - perfect for the Summer. Service was unexpectedly good. Fun, casual night out with the family, and good food, left everyone feeling happy.Special Features:
- Just okay.KerritDined on 7/19/2014In my opinion the menu was very limited. The table we ate at was small. It was near the corner and every time the wait service past by me they would hit into my chair.
- One of my favorite places...OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/12/2014I love Alta Strada, great food, great service, great ambience, great wines and desserts .. I come at least once every other week. JoseSpecial Features:
- Frequent flyerLMazzVIPDined on 7/10/2014Our food was great and our service was amazing! Another great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- marjoVIPDined on 7/10/2014Very nice all around restaurant with plenty of menu choices in small plates and full dinners. Wine list by glass and bottle very reasonable and good selection. Busy place and easy to see why - a good place to have a good mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- white anchoviesLeftyjJVIPDined on 7/2/2014LOVE LOVE LOVE the white anchovy salad! We had a new server - Nick - who was great too! All in all a great experience! ThanksSpecial Features:
- The Best Pasta AroundRealtorMomVIPDined on 6/22/2014We love how the chef lets the ingredients shine in this restaurant: simply the best prosciutto, served with fig jam on crisp crostini. Their pasta dishes are not to be missed, as the pasta itself is homemade and each bite is perfectly cooked; the sauces are deep and flavorful, but do not overwhelm. "Specials" always are a hit, too!
- I would recommend Alta StradaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/22/2014The food was very good. as always. I have been to Alta Strada many times. Service was not as good as usual. On a couple of occasions we had to work hard to get service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected InteractionHenryDined on 6/21/2014Food, as usual, was tasty, and arrived promptly. Portions on the small side. Unbelievably, however, our waiter decided to have PROLONGED 'conversations' with a party he perhaps knew, at an adjacent table. This meant that we had unobstructed, close by views of the waiter's buttocks, which remained within millimeters from our table. This occurred with each course he served. Comically, the couple (in their early 20's) at that adjacent table were too soused to pick up our annoyance!Special Features:
- Consistently excellent food.AverageVIPDined on 6/21/2014This is one of my favorite restaurant. The food is always good. I really like the red Sangria. They did not have it when I went to the restaurant. I had the white Sangria. The biscottis are a great way to end a very good dinner.Special Features:
- peaceful and delicious lunchlovely2lunchDined on 6/20/2014We had a selection of antipasti and wine for lunch, and found the food and service to be just great. We were happy with our corner table which made conversation easy and comfortable. We have been to this restaurant several times for dinner and it was noisier and more crowded, but food and service still very good. We look forward to a return visit!Special Features:
- good neighbourhood placewelshpembrokecorgiDined on 6/19/2014Good food, very kid friendly and good service. Help is always helpful, never rushed, though place is always busy. Only drawback is the noise level, can't even hear the wait help explaining ingredients in the dishes. Otherwise, a most pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If only service matched food....LockedoutDined on 6/16/2014I have been here multiple times and each time am very pleased with food. However over the past year service has declined steadily to the point that I will not return. Servers are apathetic, disinterested & all-around terrible. On this visit, we had to ASK waiter to take our order for drinks (after approx. 15 minutes) (which were brought by someone else) and had to flag him down to ASK him to take our order (at least 40 minutes after we'd been there). Really frustrating and disappointing. The only time we saw waiter after placing orders was when he brought check and informed us he would stand there 'for a few minutes' until we were ready to pay. Service used to be good- I would rank it now among the worst service I've ever experienced.
- Not impressedKriekDined on 6/14/2014We were not impressed with the food. Overpriced, average quality at best. $13 for a small glass of Moscato (most places $9-$11 for glass small bottle). Desserts small, again, at those prices 2 people should be able to share a dessert. Service was decent. We know it's not a high end place but that's why we're struggling with the price/quality.Special Features:
- Unique ItalianJDOfNSCDined on 6/14/2014The best part for us was the ala carte antipasto which permits you to select from to as many items as you want from an eclectic variety of about 15 choices. The 3 we had were excellent, especially the eggplant caponata and the roasted golden beets. While the entree of bolognese was very good, I've had better but it was a unique lighter style with lots of flavor that showed off the chef's signature. The pasta it was prepared over was perfect too. We also had 2 salads that were expertly prepared so it seems you can't go wrong here. Prices were also reasonable for the quality of the food. My only negative is the $10 glass of cabernet was sub par which is due to them using only Italian wines which are very expensive for even mediocre levels.Special Features:
- Bad experienceFoodieDined on 6/12/2014Ignored by waitstaff, food not cooked, very disappointingSpecial Features:
- Always deliciousKHB75Dined on 6/12/2014The service was fantastic. Our waiter suggested doing half portions so that we could try 3 starters which was a great idea. The food is always fresh and delicious. I especially love that the pastas are homemade; you can taste the difference.Special Features:
- Almost perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/8/2014Everything was great except the noise level, which was high enough to impede conversation (not high enough to make it impossible, though).Special Features:
- Alta StrataBebster58Dined on 6/4/2014Alta Strata is a local stand-by. I choose to dine there w/ a friend, after viewing the Madeline Albright pin collection at the Davis Museum. We both ordered the Halibut. Fish came out overcooked and dry. I have had wonderful pasta there on previous occasions and should have stuck with one of those choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always superb!KarenVIPDined on 5/29/2014I just love this restaurant as the food is consistently delicious, the menu varied and the service is impeccable. I have dined here dozens of times and always have an amazing experience. It is one of my favorite restaurants in Massachusetts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 908 reviews are from the Alta Strada reviews archive.
- Don't come if you are a coupleShellyVIPDined on 5/16/2014We went there on a Friday night, we were rushed out of dining in 45 minutes. Tables where there were at least 4 people with kids were allowed to linger and take their time & were there longer then us. But we barely had finished our appetizers before they came with our main course. I was 10 minutes into my dinner before the waiter came to ask me if I was done (I was not), then another waiter came by & pointed to my barely eaten meal and asked if I wanted to take it with me! I said of course. they seemed to want me to have another drink, but there was no way I was going to chug down 2 cocktails in less then 45 minutes! Unbelievable how they treat couples! Food is very good. We did make a reservation, so unclear why they were rushedSpecial Features:
- Good go to placeCarmensensemanVIPDined on 5/13/2014Consistent service and food....... Nice setting. But a bit noisySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodLMazzVIPDined on 5/11/2014We eat here at least twice a month. The food is always amazing. We've never had a bad meal. The service is good. We often get Pete who is one of the best servers. I highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be going backOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 5/11/2014I have been to Alta Strada for an evening out and it has been just right. I have been for lunch on Mother's day and it has been just right. The staff is able to adjust to the situation which makes for an excellent dining experience. The food is fantastic and the servers are attentive. You will not be disappointed if you choose Alta Strada.Special Features: