92 Central Street
Wellesley, MA 02482Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.altastradarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (781) 237-6100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm -10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Michael Schlow
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Alta Strada
Whether nibbling on small plates at the antipasti-wine bar, sipping an espresso, or having a meal in the open dining room, Alta Strada will always be approachable and accessible to anyone and everyone. With a true smile and the genuine desire to take care of you while you’re “in our house”, Alta Strada will focus on the foods of Tuscany, Emilia-Romagna, Piedmont, and the Amalfi coast, while attempting to fill the much needed gap in Italian restaurants in America. Simply put, Alta Strada will be the place where you’ll find a perfectly made bowl of pasta, crispy thin pizza, gorgeous and abundant antipasti, and fantastic wines, all at a reasonable price, in a setting that could be found on a stylish via in Milan or Rome.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Alta Strada reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (63)fit for foodies (40)good for groups (36)great for lunch (18)special occasion (17)kid-friendly (13)notable wine list (13)hot spot (13)romantic (7)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (3)Show More
- Glad we cameBellymanDined on 11/9/2014Came for a Sunday night dinner. The food did not disappoint but the wait for the main course was slow. Still we would come back again.Special Features:
- Disappointed LocalAveryVIPDined on 11/9/2014We have dined at Alta Strada many times and we were very disappointed with the food and service during our most recent visit. We waited a long time for someone to take our initial order, then had to wait extended periods of time each time we asked for something (another glass of wine, grated cheese, etc.). In addition to sub-par service, the food was definitely off -- slow to be served and lacking its usual flavor. The fedelini with clams had no red pepper flakes and the spaghetti aglio olio was totally bland. We have had many good meals at Alta Strada so hopefully this was just an off night.
- Noisy and expensiveMAdinerDined on 11/8/2014Nice decor in a great neighborhood, but my voice was horse after an evening of shouting over the noise. And the meal did not match the level of expense.
- No Truffle Oil in the Luna dish.Gettingthedishright123VIPDined on 11/2/2014Hadn't been in awhile. Always think the food is fresh and the cocktails good. Came that night specifically for the Luna dish. Flavorless, just a white sauce, a sprinkling of mushrooms and very disappointing. It's the inclusion of Truffle Oil that makes the dish a pleasure worth the calories.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Failed returnallergyeaterVIPDined on 11/1/2014We enjoyed our first visit so much we came back Saturday night. Very disappointed. Restaurant was loud and the quality of food was sub par. The waitstaff were pleasant, however they cleared the table while we were still eating! No one likes to be rushed out on a Saturday night with friends! We will not be back.Special Features:
- Good dining experienceBabsDined on 11/1/2014Went to dinner on Saturday night with my husband and two daughers. The food was great, although for a "neighborhood" type of restaurant, there was not a lot of great choices for my girls. The waiter was good, but it was busy so we did have to wait a bit when we wanted to order dessert. All in all, was good, although expensive. Next time I would go back with my husband and friends, not necessarily the family.Special Features:
- ParcheseVIPDined on 10/28/2014The duck pasta dish was outstanding. We also thoroughly enjoyed the Lobster pasta.Special Features:
- Basso StradaMVClammerVIPDined on 10/25/2014We were served by several automatons who paid no attention to us as people. We were served bread but no plates for the bread, when I asked the young server if we could have bread plates, he said sure but never delivered. The small plate I was given when our meals were served was badly scratched and marked. I know it was a clean plate, but really? Our plates were whipped away when some of our foursome were still eating. One of our party is undergoing serious medical treatment and needed non-iced water which was delivered when requested but the same young man who took plates away and promised the bread plates, came along & added ice water to her water, totally clueless to the real people at the table.
- Where's the Halibut?KlinkDined on 10/19/2014I was disappointed to have my favorite dish disappear from the menu. Instead we all order from the Primi section of the menu. The veal meatballs, eggplant, and kale soup were all delicious. Such a noisy scene, though! We asked for a quiet table, but the place was jammed and couldn't provide one when we arrived at 7.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MUCH TOO NOISYOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014The noise level overpowered everything else about the restaurant and dining experience. It was actually a relief to step back outside.
- LoudJFoodieVIPDined on 10/11/2014I think I heard every other sentence our friends said. It was so loud. There was a guy working in the kitchen calling out when food was ready, it became a joke at the table, "Shrimp Up!" Other than yelling we never quite figured out his job. Food was good but not stellar. Dessert was fantastic though. I will say if was a good team effort in service- we had 8 different people wait on us.Special Features:
- Just great foodmarcytonDined on 10/8/2014The tuna nicoise salad was amazing, the margherita pizza was good and those beets were so great!!!Special Features:
- Slow service but great mealMMcTVIPDined on 10/7/2014It was packed on a Tues. evening and it took us a while to get seated and a long time to get drinks. We were all busy catching up so it wasn't too bad and each of our many servers was very nice. Good food!Special Features:
- Fanstastic menuOutstandingDined on 10/7/2014The service and food were both outstanding. The place is very loud. I asked for a decaf cappucino at the end of the meal, but 4 hours later, i realized that it was not decaf, and I was up all night. Very very disappointing, as everything else was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good local diningjudithVIPDined on 10/4/2014We have been here many times - live the location, decor and wait staff has always been great. I think the menu offerings are getting a bit tired and the chef needs to add a few seasonal dishes for some variety. I would also suggest offering a meatball that is beef/pork based (veal not appealing to some and most children). The homemade ricotta with crostini is my favorite - I often get some to go in the downstairs market!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fullYumsDined on 9/30/2014Delicious appetizers and entrees make this restaurant a favorite of ours every time we come through Wellesley. The restaurant is always busy, which detracts from the service a bit, but the good is good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, casual diningGratefulVIPDined on 9/27/2014The food was good and if I were in the neighborhood, I would not hesitate to drop in. My friend enjoyed the mushroom pasta and said that it was fresh. We both agreed the bread was excellent and my risotto dinner was fine, though did not knock me out. The biggest disappointment was that I did not know that it was so loud. There is not a lot to dampen sound, which bounces off all of the wood. The tables and chairs let me know that the restaurant does not want people to linger - the wood chairs are unforgiving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DiningforpleasureDiningforpleasureVIPDined on 9/25/2014Although I enjoyed the cheese ravioli, two of my guests ordered the pork sandwiches....they thought...not so good.Special Features:
- Yum. Never disappoints.eshaunVIPDined on 9/24/2014Food was amazing as usual. Service was superb. The staff is very attentive and did a great job proactively clearing plates, asking if we wanted anything more, etc. We had a toddler and they were very good with her and understanding the no-no's with a child (i.e., don't put piping hot food in front of her).Special Features:
- Brava!teupgoodeatsDined on 9/21/2014Delightful, delicious and relaxing. Thanks for not rushing us. Bread and oil was yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Restaurant in WellesleyCeat1VIPDined on 9/16/2014This was our second time dining at Alta Strada. The Halibut was really fantastic, cooked just the way I like it-a little crispy and done well but not overcooked. The service is great there. The eggplant appetizer was to die for! always a sure bet!Special Features:
- EnjoyablePeter1573Dined on 9/13/2014It starts with the small appetizers - excellent! Then the prosciutto on toasted bread with fig jam - delicious. And then the best halibut dish! Oh yes, and do not miss the Mascarporeo! Obviously we love the food there but somehow this restaurant manages to keep the service great since years despite the usual turnover in personel.Special Features:
- Not very inspiringOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014Although there are a few consistently nice items, the menu continues to be quite boring. Year after year the appetizers never change, and none of them are particularly good. The entrees change only by one or two items, and very seldom. It's always so loud you can hardly have a conversation across the table. My guest and I asked for separate checks, but the waitress brought only one and then said she could take two cards for it...Of course, the purpose was not to split the bill in half, so it made for an uncomfortable situation. We agreed when leaving that Alta Strada is in our past!Special Features:
- Fab food and service; a bit loudPickycriticDined on 9/4/2014The restaurant would be perfect if seating included tables set off in quieter parts of the room. It was very difficult to have an "audible" conversation. Food and service were impeccable. A bit pricey for the quantity served.Special Features:
- Lunch at Alta Stradatm2000VIPDined on 8/31/2014Recently had a weekend lunch at Alta Strada. Our group ordered 3 of the antipasti to share (calamari, spicy green beans, fresh ricotta). All were very good, flavorful and light. 2 of us had the salmon and spinach salad and one of our group had the mushroom luna pasta. The salmon salad was very substantial, but a bit on the salty side. The mushroom luna pasta is always very good. Pleasant lunch, good food, reliable. Nothing exceptional, but nothing bad.Special Features:
- deafening noiseBMW1954VIPDined on 8/30/2014great food, way too noisy- stay away from tables near the open kitchen- between the noise from the kitchen and the surrounding tables, it was impossible to have a conversation with the person across the table from me....Special Features:
- Oppi328VIPDined on 8/28/2014Alta Strada is a local Italian restaurant that offers a few interesting Mediterranean dishes. I ordered 5 small appetizers. I chose calamari with cucumbers, white beans, ricotta cheese with crunchy bread crackers, cold eggplant, and white anchovies with frisée. The white beans weren't very tasty, and the calamari came with too many small onions. My husband got some Italian tuna and a healthy grilled chicken breast entree with tomatoes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alta Strata is perfect every time.KathyVIPDined on 8/26/2014No matter what's on the menu, the consistency of good food is there at Alta Stata. My favorites are the pastas and pizzas, as well as the fig and prosciutto appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not GreatsquirrelVIPDined on 8/26/2014Food is always good, but rarely great. Something about the flavors in the chopped salad I ordered was lackluster. Hardly ate any of it. Dessert was good, but didn't blow me away. I always expect more when I come here, but rarely get it.Special Features:
- great ItalianBangerVIPDined on 8/23/2014we very much enjoyed our meal here. had a variety of items including pizzas and pastas. the mushroom ravioli (they use another name) are to die for and their pizzas are excellent as well. The antipasti are hit or miss but the tuna was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Very Special PlaceBelmontBlondieVIPDined on 8/23/2014My boyfriend and I met there for our first date 2 years ago and at 12:30am we looked up from our blissful conversation and noticed we were the only ones there! No one asked us to leave as they cleaned up and they smiled as we left holding hands! We just were there for our 2 yr anniversary and it was just as fabulous as every other time we've been there. I love the inventive cocktails, the crunchy veal meatballs, the service is terrific. Our server heard us mention celebration and sent over our sorbetto with a candle in it! We were touched! Alta Strada is a very special place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We live for the bolognese!lelaurie368VIPDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I are regulars here - my husband would say it's his FAVORITE restaurant, thanks in BIG part to the BOLOGNESE! It came off the menu for over a year and he (and I) were devastated! It's back and we've had it probably 4 times in the last 3 months! Another favorite of ours - the calamari small plate, mixed with either the greens or arugula salads. Such a great combo! Our only suggestion would be to bring the bread to the tables before the diners have to ask and offer more olive oil to go with the GIANT loaf - it's delicious and hard not to eat the whole thing before dinner arrives!Special Features:
- Always a great mealFantasticVIPDined on 8/15/2014One of the best restaurants around. Their bolognese is the best. It can get a little loud, but that's about the only negative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but a little loudLoveitthereVIPDined on 8/5/2014Great food and excellent service once again at Alta Stada. If they can just find a way to dampen the noise and also put a little more space between the tables (our table was 13 inches from the table next to us) - it would be excellent.Special Features:
- Best item we had was the bread.CleoVIPDined on 8/2/2014Tables too high for banquet and chairs, very uncomfortable. I looked like a little kid reaching up to eat. I didn't order pasta as it would have been too hard to eat sitting so low. Had Halibut instead, as it sounded interesting. It was way overcooked, whole dish too dry and a great disappointment at $34.00. The price point was out of line with the rest of the menu . Restaurant was full, not sure if delay in receiving food was due to kitchen or server input. Very noisy had trouble hearing server. The bread was great.
- susanDined on 7/23/2014Went there to take a colleague out for a goodbye dinner. Food and service were very good. It is a small dining room and the noise level is high. It was very busy with families, couples and college students. A popular spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 929 reviews are from the Alta Strada reviews archive.
- Change for the betterapprecia8VIPDined on 7/20/2014Have not previously been to Alta Strada for 5 years, until recently. Pleasantly surprised at the menu improvements. Reasonable range of light Italian choices - perfect for the Summer. Service was unexpectedly good. Fun, casual night out with the family, and good food, left everyone feeling happy.Special Features:
- Just okay.KerritDined on 7/19/2014In my opinion the menu was very limited. The table we ate at was small. It was near the corner and every time the wait service past by me they would hit into my chair.
- One of my favorite places...OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/12/2014I love Alta Strada, great food, great service, great ambience, great wines and desserts .. I come at least once every other week. JoseSpecial Features:
- Frequent flyerLMazzVIPDined on 7/10/2014Our food was great and our service was amazing! Another great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.