1420 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.altaca.co/
- Phone: 4155902585x
- Hours of Operation:
SAT & SUN: 5PM-2AM
Please note, we serve a limited menu from 3PM-5PM and from 10:30PM-1AM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Yoni Levy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Alta CA
A neighborhood restaurant and gathering place.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Alta CA reviews from OpenTable diners
151 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (104)neighborhood gem (61)hot spot (59)vibrant bar scene (57)notable wine list (39)late-night find (38)romantic (28)special occasion (26)good for groups (25)great for lunch (20)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpentableDinerVIPDined on 10/18/2014Everything we tried were good to exceed expectation. We're glad to have the chickpea and oxtail fritters, smoke trout, goat cheese toast, chicken, hen of the wood mushroom porridge.Special Features:
- Good placeSherryDined on 10/18/2014We read the somewhat mixed reviews so weren't sure whether we would like it or not. But it was great- dishes we had were innovative and delicious- the avocado soup, tomato and eggplant salad, smoked trout and oxtail and chickpeas. The soft ice cream with different toppings was great!Special Features:
- TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 10/16/2014Interesting combination of fresh ingredients resulted in beautifully plated tasty dishes. Dessert was fun… Wait staff was very good.Special Features:
- Great Food, Cocktails and ServiceFrequentDinerVIPDined on 10/15/2014Enjoyed an extended lunch and was impressed. The food was intriguing and different (the pastrami dish and the chicken). And, the collaborative effort to prepare the perfect gimlet was instructive and enjoyable. The bartender (not a mixoligist, thank you) partnered with my guest and capped a great meal by supporting our long visit. A nice place to hang.Special Features:
- AltaOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/14/2014Alta was a big mismatch for both me and my friend. The food was just okay. Salad with radishes was just a salad with radishes. My entree of chickpea and oxtail fritters were three each teeny tiny felafel and cubes of oxtails garnished with a few pickled green beans. Very so so. Maybe an off night for the kitchen. Dessert was soft serve, tasty but for me I'd prefer to eat with a real spoon rather than a wooden palate exactly like the one I used as a kid that came free with a dixie cup of ice cream. We did get a requested spoon. When the server asked if we needed change and upon being told no she did not offer a thank you for dining with us or good bye. I began to rethink my 20% tip. Not really worth 15% in our opinions.Special Features:
- Fun and delishHentisVIPDined on 10/10/2014Service was wonderful. Very informative, friendly, and attentive. Food was fun and delicious and not the normal boring choices. Bar was hopping and the alcohol selections varied. Prices for food are good but beware up charges on drinks for call liquor. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiance neededrwasiriusDined on 10/9/2014It is too noisy, the music is way too loud, causing everyone to talk louder, bounces off the glass windows and walls. The food was very interesting, southern themed? Smoky, pickled and nice portions. Drinks were good. The art seems to have been recovered from the Goodwill? I will come back because the service was good and food was interesting, but probably come alone as you cannot talk to anyone hereSpecial Features:
- A PERFECT MANHATTANonewithcheeseDined on 10/9/2014Awfully gutsy to name a drink PERFECT MANHATTAN but indeed this was -mixed together and barrel aged; I look forward to trying their other barrel aged drinks. The floor to ceiling wall of wine & liquor (attractively held in place by bars in case of earthquakes) is impressive, and the whole room feels good. The waitress was wonderful but had too many tables. The food was tasty enough, small portions - I'll go back for a cocktail and try a couple of appetizers - the house cured pastrami was smokey & terrific with the PERFECT MANHATTAN.Special Features:
- Excellent service terrific foodMiniMarniDined on 10/3/2014I've been on a mission to try burgers and fancier restaurants so Alta CA was on the list. The burger was terrific but I was most impressed by the service. There was a blackout in the block when we arrived and the staff kept us informed and looked after without any drama. The fresh ginger beer is also amazingSpecial Features:
- Great Addition in the Mid MarketOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/1/2014Good food, good drinks, friendly and knowledgeable staff.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014Absolutely superb menu offerings with amazing alchemy of flavors and textures. A true delight for the palette. Service was super pleasant, knowledgable, helpful and spot on also. Loved the music that was at just the right volume for the space. They even picked up on the fact that it was my birthday and brought a candle in the dessert without being requested to do so. All in all, a really wonderful experience that I will be repeating soon and sharing with others.Special Features:
- Great BarbrigantorVIPDined on 9/26/2014Fun bar scene. Good food. Great drinks. Love the giant bar wall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousDanManDined on 9/23/2014Hello folks, The food was great. I had the chilled avocado and cucumber soup. Was very creamy, refreshing and tasty. I also had the Chickpea and Oxtails fritters, the chickpea was very flavorful and the oxtail soft and umami. I also had the smoked trout. The dill and the dressing of that dish made it very smooth, elegant and frankly delicious. Hope this helps.Special Features:
- Horrible wine list !!!!!scluvsfoodwineVIPDined on 9/23/2014There was not one recognizable wine on the list. When I asked they said that they dislike wines from Cal. Come on, we are in San Francisco right near one of the best wine regions in the world!Special Features:
- Delicious!oaklandLoDined on 9/22/2014The food was unique and delicious, I'm still dreaming about the fresh corn pierogi. Attentive and knowledgeable service and welcoming restful atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantabsmcVIPDined on 9/20/2014Loved the deviled eggs and trout starters. Both pork dishes were delicious! The cocktails were fabulous - we asked the bartender to make his own creations. I'd highly encourage friends to try this restaurant. Staff was knowledgeable and very friendly!Special Features:
- nycgirlVIPDined on 9/18/2014good night but not worth putting up with the dirt & slum of Market Street en route. The chairs are extremely uncomfortable.
- Great for preshow or just any daymiriVIPDined on 9/18/2014This is a great spot to go before the theatre. The food is perfect to share so you can sample a lot of different things. We haven't had a bad dish yet.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/17/2014This restaurant has no real signage so it would be easy to walk or drive right past it. In fact, months ago my husband and I did drive past it and went around the block several times looking for it and we finally gave up! You have to have the exact address (which we didn't previously) to find it. What's up with that?! You know the old adage: "A business with no sign is a sign of no business." Although not actually the case with Alta but it would certainly help.Special Features:
- Excellent menu!510foodieDined on 9/16/2014Dined here for the first time prior to going to a show at the nearby Orpheum Theater. We were there on the early side (show started at 7:30) and the place was quiet, but quickly became packed as we got closer to our departure time. The menu is fabulous. Anything they describe as "house made" is definitely worth trying. It's the kind of place where you feel inspired to try new things (beef tendon puffs? amazing!) and you won't be disappointed. The decadent dessert options were the perfect end to a stellar meal. I look forward to returning!Special Features:
- Great food, but more of a bar sceneNoelNoelVIPDined on 9/12/2014The place was packed on a Friday night. It's a young, urban, loud, crowded scene. That said, the food is imaginative, flavorful and delicious. Although it seems tacky that they serve chips instead of fries with their burger. I might like Alta better for lunch, when it's hopefully quieter.Special Features:
- Great drinks, good food,bad serviceSpicyBeefDined on 9/10/2014Great drinks, good food,but bad service. Even the manager was rude to my party and I. Too many better places around to come back.Special Features:
- Close to TheatreBzerkeleyVIPDined on 9/9/2014Not only is this a fun place but it has the added bonus of being top of our list for pre theatre (Orpheum). Food is interesting and nicely done. Service could be smoother and pacing could have been better. If you like chichiarrones then you have to try the beef tendons.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/6/2014Bland porridge. Everything else was overly acidic.
- Pleasantly surprised!alimaxVIPDined on 9/6/2014We got dinner at Alta before a show at Orpheum theatre with group of friends and we all loved it. It was six of us and we ordered pretty much everything on the menu as it wasn't very long. Every dish was delicious! The service was great, plus our waiter looked like a model :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alta CaSharoncsVIPDined on 9/5/2014Had a nice meal at Alta was thrilled that the sandwich of the day was a BLAT. I am getting pretty tired of the lunch menu - it could use a change. Of course don't take off the deviled eggs!Special Features:
- We'll be back........foodofthegodsDined on 9/3/2014Arrived @ 5 for a 6 reservation on a Wednesday. No one dining yet but a few at the bar. Got a table after a bit of a wait since no one was working the door yet. Placed was full by the time we left for the theater. Small menu but enough to choose from for us both. Had the deviled eggs and cucumber/avocado soup. Both very good. Wife asked to have the salmon fully cooked instead of lightly steamed and it was done just right. I had the pork shoulder which was quite tasty also. Warm cookies for desert.......3 large ones. The drinks were strong but they were out of Mt Gay.... The service was attentive and polite. No problems and we definitely would return if we are in the neighborhood again. Definitely a bar scene going on for the younger crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hipster Spot w/Amazing Food & WineAnnabellaVIPDined on 8/31/2014We made our reservation same day and we were so pleased with the food, wine and ambiance. The only drawback was the service. Our waiter was not as attentive as we would have liked. We noticed that the waiter was taking the order of a party of two sitting at a table that we chose not to sit at. This means we were seated first but were not waited on first. We will return since the food and wine were exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanks,Adrienne!TokyoDined on 8/31/2014All staff did a good service. I want to revisit in the case of San Francisco next trip.Special Features:
- Lovely setting, sublime foodGMY68Dined on 8/30/2014We booked dinner here on the spur of the moment, and had no trouble getting a reservation for the same day (it was a Saturday). We'd heard good things about this place and had eaten (once!) at Coi, when they still had an a la carte menu and you didn't have to spend a year's salary eating there! Alta was fantastic in pretty much every way. The design of the place is impressive, especially the huge wall of bottles and the lovely bar, and it's always fun having an open kitchen. The noise level was just perfect, i.e., quiet background music, excellent sound proofing, really easy to chat with your date or friends. And, best of all, the food was magical. Crisp salad, corn pierogi, oysters with grapes, braised beef, and peach cobbler. Wow!Special Features:
- Try the oxtailXenosDined on 8/29/2014I enjoyed almost everything I ate, but the oxtail was a revelation. The first time I tried it I was shocked with how good it was. It was very different from anything I'd ever eaten before, and it was fantastic. The other dishes I tried were the pork trotter, the puffed beef tendon, the warm olives, and the bialys. All of those were fantastic except for the bialys. The bread part of the bialy was very tasty, but the stuffing was overly smoked. It tasted almost like liquid smoke, and it overpowered the bread part. that's a small complaint though, as everything else was great.Special Features:
- Buck the trendlongtimelocalDined on 8/28/2014Quality food, wine, service, friendly staff and lively art work. With the mid-market area undergoing a massive transformation, this gem of a restaurant will hopefully outlive any trend that may be occurring in that area. Easy access from Muni and BART.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service. Tasty but rich.NotFussyDined on 8/23/2014The service was great and we had a good time. The food was really tasty, but too rich for me. If you like really strong flavors, and plenty of salt and butter, then you'll love it.Special Features:
- Gorgeous and tasty foodTonyTDined on 8/21/2014Really well composed plates - both visually and in terns of flavor. Curious that they harp on it being "American" as I found the food to have a very eastern euro or even Jewish soul food flavor - lots of dill, sour cream, smoked fish, pastrami and many other influences. The service is uneven - some outstanding team members and some well meaning amateurs. The wines by the glass are overpriced. They want $13 for a glass of the Unti Petite Frere and that's about what they paid for the bottle. Dessert is problematic as they base everything around soft seve ice cream - yuck! And I do like this restaurant and recommend the food highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful - Highly recommend!foodismyfavoriteDined on 8/20/2014The head chef is incredibly hospitable & talented, wait staff is knowledgeable & attentive, the food was fantastic! We had the bialys with pastrami, some of the best I have tried, obviously a chef's specialty. We had the avocado soup, so creamy I couldn't believe it is vegan. The trout & pickled vegetables with bialy chips, I think the pickled vegetables are another chef developed specialty. We had the steamed salmon, perfectly cooked with an everything-bagel seasoning & a delicious yogurt sauce, not to mention the fermented summer squash decorating the plate. The pork was beautiful, along with fresh clams & fava beans - the sauce was rich & tasty. Finally, we finished with soft serve & digestifs, all homemade & delicious.Special Features:
- Alta CaSharoncsVIPDined on 8/12/2014I have been to Alta only for lunch so I have never been able to enjoy the great libations. I have to say the food is really good, but because the menu is fairly limited I am already getting king of bored. Can they add some new dishes or specials? The staff must be bored too. I think that's why it is not often too busy at lunch time. Love the deviled eggs and the ice cream though.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014food was great. service was slow and unattentive. could have use done more staff to complete the whole experienceSpecial Features:
- Music not suitable, very loudTravelerDined on 7/29/2014Very loud music, not suitable restaurant music. Impossible to have a conversation. Service, average. Not very friendly or attentive.Special Features:
- Amateurish service needs addressingmtf419VIPDined on 7/24/2014On the plus side, the food and atmosphere at Alta CA are very good. The open kitchen turns out some very flavorful dishes like beet salad, goat cheese on toast, and buckwheat porridge. Unfortunately, the cocktails and service leave much to be desired. Outside of the kitchen, the staff is rather green and not well versed in fine dining etiquette (in one example of this plates were removed prematurely whilst diners were still chewing). It's a great location, and an otherwise fun experience, so hopefully they invest in additional training for the staff.
- My new favorite!AnonymousVIPDined on 7/23/2014I LOVE THIS PLACE! My new favorite spot in SF, brought my parents here for my Dad's birthday and everything was excellent. Plus, the frozen yogurt for dessert is awesome :)