1420 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.altaca.co/
- Phone: (415) 590-2585
- Hours of Operation:
SAT & SUN: 5PM-2AM
Please note, we serve a limited menu from 3PM-5PM and from 10:30PM-1AM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Yoni Levy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Alta CA
A neighborhood restaurant and gathering place.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Alta CA reviews from OpenTable diners
162 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (117)neighborhood gem (69)hot spot (64)vibrant bar scene (55)late-night find (38)notable wine list (37)special occasion (26)great for lunch (26)good for groups (24)romantic (24)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Neighborhood feel restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 11/22/2014We had a hard time finding Alta, as there is no signage besides a small sidewalk sign - if you're driving by you would be hard pressed to see it. However, once inside Alta welcomes you with a hip, but warm feel. I love the high ceilings with the wine on the shelves. We went with a few of the smaller dishes and then one entree to share. All were delicious! The pierogies and chickpea fritters were served with really flavorful sauces/spreads, salad was basic but light with a good taste, black cod and the chocolate chip cookies(yum!). Service was really good - very accommodating and readily available for wine glass refills :) Perfect for a meal before or after a show. Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super place. I don't give 5 stars.TerryVVIPDined on 11/15/2014I don't give five stars. Except that I just did. Attitude, look, feel, attention -- it all adds up. Yes on the deviled eggs, yes on the beef tendon puffs (essentially reconstructed lighter-than-air chicharones), yes on the woodcock porridge, and yes on the pig trotter. The staff know their wines. Lots of wonderfully obscure but delicious European whites, oh, and the sparkling frizzante chardonnay was great. Sorry, didn't catch the vintner (US). After they mistakenly brought a dish too early (the other couple were still on their salads) the plate disappeared and was returned FRESHLY MADE ten minutes later. This was our third visit -- and it's a great place after an opera or symphony performance (5 minute walk -- bright streets). We shall return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mid Market GemHATSDined on 11/13/2014Alta Ca is part of the changing mid-market neighborhood. What was once a desolate area with no high quality food options, Alta Ca is a welcome new addition. The food is inventive, the pig trotter may not be the first thing that may you think to try but is the stand out on the menu. I went in for a lunch with colleagues and the non-alcoholic beverages were delicious, far above the usual selection of diet coke or iced tea. To finish the meal the soft serve sundae is the perfect bite, we tried the rocky road with homemade marshmallows and mini malted milk balls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No category for cocktail?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014One should be created for Alta. Names escape me, but the ingredients never shall? Truly chef-like creations! Will try Barrel-aged cocktails next time!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy SpotvirgilG00SFDined on 11/8/2014The store front on this restaurant is definitely lacking, but once inside it's amazing! Such a great space and the food and cocktails were great! We started with the Deviled Eggs which were a fun pickled/dilly treat! I had the Ox Tail and my husband had the burger, both were delicious and portions were perfect. We'd definitely come back to try the rest of the menu and hang out with friends.Special Features:
- Exceeded our expectationsFoodieVIPDined on 11/8/2014Food and service were fantastic. Our waiter was extremely knowledgeable and friendly. Located very conveniently to SF Jazz Center, Davies Symphony Hall, Norse Auditorium. We will definitely be back often as we enjoy these live art establishment. Well done!Special Features:
- Pretty goodjustbeinghonestDined on 11/3/2014Don't sit by the door, the breeze is awful in that neighborhood; waiters tend to forget about you for 15 minutes at a time. Food is good; other than the wait service is good. Nice addition to the neighborhood.
- When good food meets great serviceNoporkonmyforkDined on 10/27/2014I'll cut to the chase: food was pretty good, order the Cod (great!) skip the burger (uninspired/hipster). My mistake in forgetting to tell server no bacon on my burger. He took it back and had a new one out in 6 minutes. Also brought out deviled eggs (on the house) to hold me off while I waited. The perfect amount of attention, very polite, knowledgable staff. Our server made this experience great! Try the root beer!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- altaconstantcraveVIPDined on 10/26/2014My second time here, the first was okay, but this time everything really shined. The Cougar is the kind of briny cocktail that I love, hadn't tried the tendon puffs, which were indeed signature, pierogis were smoky and wonderful, and the tomato and eggplant salad was also terrific. My only regret is that the bill added up so quickly!Special Features:
- Great find for dinner before show.luv2eatVIPDined on 10/26/2014The food exceeded all expectations. The dishes were unusual and delicious. Did not care much for the specialty drink I ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was just great.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/23/2014So convenient to the symphony and opera house. Food - very interesting, very delicious - We loved it.Special Features:
- OpentableDinerVIPDined on 10/18/2014Everything we tried were good to exceed expectation. We're glad to have the chickpea and oxtail fritters, smoke trout, goat cheese toast, chicken, hen of the wood mushroom porridge.Special Features:
- Good placeSherryDined on 10/18/2014We read the somewhat mixed reviews so weren't sure whether we would like it or not. But it was great- dishes we had were innovative and delicious- the avocado soup, tomato and eggplant salad, smoked trout and oxtail and chickpeas. The soft ice cream with different toppings was great!Special Features:
- TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 10/16/2014Interesting combination of fresh ingredients resulted in beautifully plated tasty dishes. Dessert was fun… Wait staff was very good.Special Features:
- Great Food, Cocktails and ServiceFrequentDinerVIPDined on 10/15/2014Enjoyed an extended lunch and was impressed. The food was intriguing and different (the pastrami dish and the chicken). And, the collaborative effort to prepare the perfect gimlet was instructive and enjoyable. The bartender (not a mixoligist, thank you) partnered with my guest and capped a great meal by supporting our long visit. A nice place to hang.Special Features:
- AltaOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/14/2014Alta was a big mismatch for both me and my friend. The food was just okay. Salad with radishes was just a salad with radishes. My entree of chickpea and oxtail fritters were three each teeny tiny felafel and cubes of oxtails garnished with a few pickled green beans. Very so so. Maybe an off night for the kitchen. Dessert was soft serve, tasty but for me I'd prefer to eat with a real spoon rather than a wooden palate exactly like the one I used as a kid that came free with a dixie cup of ice cream. We did get a requested spoon. When the server asked if we needed change and upon being told no she did not offer a thank you for dining with us or good bye. I began to rethink my 20% tip. Not really worth 15% in our opinions.Special Features:
- Fun and delishHentisVIPDined on 10/10/2014Service was wonderful. Very informative, friendly, and attentive. Food was fun and delicious and not the normal boring choices. Bar was hopping and the alcohol selections varied. Prices for food are good but beware up charges on drinks for call liquor. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiance neededrwasiriusDined on 10/9/2014It is too noisy, the music is way too loud, causing everyone to talk louder, bounces off the glass windows and walls. The food was very interesting, southern themed? Smoky, pickled and nice portions. Drinks were good. The art seems to have been recovered from the Goodwill? I will come back because the service was good and food was interesting, but probably come alone as you cannot talk to anyone hereSpecial Features:
- A PERFECT MANHATTANonewithcheeseDined on 10/9/2014Awfully gutsy to name a drink PERFECT MANHATTAN but indeed this was -mixed together and barrel aged; I look forward to trying their other barrel aged drinks. The floor to ceiling wall of wine & liquor (attractively held in place by bars in case of earthquakes) is impressive, and the whole room feels good. The waitress was wonderful but had too many tables. The food was tasty enough, small portions - I'll go back for a cocktail and try a couple of appetizers - the house cured pastrami was smokey & terrific with the PERFECT MANHATTAN.Special Features:
- Excellent service terrific foodMiniMarniDined on 10/3/2014I've been on a mission to try burgers and fancier restaurants so Alta CA was on the list. The burger was terrific but I was most impressed by the service. There was a blackout in the block when we arrived and the staff kept us informed and looked after without any drama. The fresh ginger beer is also amazingSpecial Features:
- Great Addition in the Mid MarketOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/1/2014Good food, good drinks, friendly and knowledgeable staff.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014Absolutely superb menu offerings with amazing alchemy of flavors and textures. A true delight for the palette. Service was super pleasant, knowledgable, helpful and spot on also. Loved the music that was at just the right volume for the space. They even picked up on the fact that it was my birthday and brought a candle in the dessert without being requested to do so. All in all, a really wonderful experience that I will be repeating soon and sharing with others.Special Features:
- Great BarbrigantorVIPDined on 9/26/2014Fun bar scene. Good food. Great drinks. Love the giant bar wall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousDanManDined on 9/23/2014Hello folks, The food was great. I had the chilled avocado and cucumber soup. Was very creamy, refreshing and tasty. I also had the Chickpea and Oxtails fritters, the chickpea was very flavorful and the oxtail soft and umami. I also had the smoked trout. The dill and the dressing of that dish made it very smooth, elegant and frankly delicious. Hope this helps.Special Features:
- Horrible wine list !!!!!scluvsfoodwineVIPDined on 9/23/2014There was not one recognizable wine on the list. When I asked they said that they dislike wines from Cal. Come on, we are in San Francisco right near one of the best wine regions in the world!Special Features:
- Delicious!oaklandLoDined on 9/22/2014The food was unique and delicious, I'm still dreaming about the fresh corn pierogi. Attentive and knowledgeable service and welcoming restful atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantabsmcVIPDined on 9/20/2014Loved the deviled eggs and trout starters. Both pork dishes were delicious! The cocktails were fabulous - we asked the bartender to make his own creations. I'd highly encourage friends to try this restaurant. Staff was knowledgeable and very friendly!Special Features:
- nycgirlVIPDined on 9/18/2014good night but not worth putting up with the dirt & slum of Market Street en route. The chairs are extremely uncomfortable.
- Great for preshow or just any daymiriVIPDined on 9/18/2014This is a great spot to go before the theatre. The food is perfect to share so you can sample a lot of different things. We haven't had a bad dish yet.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/17/2014This restaurant has no real signage so it would be easy to walk or drive right past it. In fact, months ago my husband and I did drive past it and went around the block several times looking for it and we finally gave up! You have to have the exact address (which we didn't previously) to find it. What's up with that?! You know the old adage: "A business with no sign is a sign of no business." Although not actually the case with Alta but it would certainly help.Special Features:
- Excellent menu!510foodieDined on 9/16/2014Dined here for the first time prior to going to a show at the nearby Orpheum Theater. We were there on the early side (show started at 7:30) and the place was quiet, but quickly became packed as we got closer to our departure time. The menu is fabulous. Anything they describe as "house made" is definitely worth trying. It's the kind of place where you feel inspired to try new things (beef tendon puffs? amazing!) and you won't be disappointed. The decadent dessert options were the perfect end to a stellar meal. I look forward to returning!Special Features:
- Great food, but more of a bar sceneNoelNoelVIPDined on 9/12/2014The place was packed on a Friday night. It's a young, urban, loud, crowded scene. That said, the food is imaginative, flavorful and delicious. Although it seems tacky that they serve chips instead of fries with their burger. I might like Alta better for lunch, when it's hopefully quieter.Special Features:
- Great drinks, good food,bad serviceSpicyBeefDined on 9/10/2014Great drinks, good food,but bad service. Even the manager was rude to my party and I. Too many better places around to come back.Special Features:
- Close to TheatreBzerkeleyVIPDined on 9/9/2014Not only is this a fun place but it has the added bonus of being top of our list for pre theatre (Orpheum). Food is interesting and nicely done. Service could be smoother and pacing could have been better. If you like chichiarrones then you have to try the beef tendons.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/6/2014Bland porridge. Everything else was overly acidic.
- Pleasantly surprised!alimaxVIPDined on 9/6/2014We got dinner at Alta before a show at Orpheum theatre with group of friends and we all loved it. It was six of us and we ordered pretty much everything on the menu as it wasn't very long. Every dish was delicious! The service was great, plus our waiter looked like a model :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alta CaSharoncsVIPDined on 9/5/2014Had a nice meal at Alta was thrilled that the sandwich of the day was a BLAT. I am getting pretty tired of the lunch menu - it could use a change. Of course don't take off the deviled eggs!Special Features:
- We'll be back........foodofthegodsDined on 9/3/2014Arrived @ 5 for a 6 reservation on a Wednesday. No one dining yet but a few at the bar. Got a table after a bit of a wait since no one was working the door yet. Placed was full by the time we left for the theater. Small menu but enough to choose from for us both. Had the deviled eggs and cucumber/avocado soup. Both very good. Wife asked to have the salmon fully cooked instead of lightly steamed and it was done just right. I had the pork shoulder which was quite tasty also. Warm cookies for desert.......3 large ones. The drinks were strong but they were out of Mt Gay.... The service was attentive and polite. No problems and we definitely would return if we are in the neighborhood again. Definitely a bar scene going on for the younger crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hipster Spot w/Amazing Food & WineAnnabellaVIPDined on 8/31/2014We made our reservation same day and we were so pleased with the food, wine and ambiance. The only drawback was the service. Our waiter was not as attentive as we would have liked. We noticed that the waiter was taking the order of a party of two sitting at a table that we chose not to sit at. This means we were seated first but were not waited on first. We will return since the food and wine were exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanks,Adrienne!TokyoDined on 8/31/2014All staff did a good service. I want to revisit in the case of San Francisco next trip.Special Features: