104 - 4319 Main St
Whistler, BC V0N 1B4Neighborhood:
Whistler Village North
FrenchPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.altabistro.com/
- Phone: 6049322582
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Nicholas Cassettari
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cocktails, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: A small bistro dining experience in the heart of Whistler Village. French influenced cuisine using the best of British Columbia's bounty from local waters and valleys. A focused, international wine list & hand crafted cocktails combined with effortless, casual service make a visit a must.
- Private Party Contact: Eric Griffith 6049322582
A word from Alta Bistro
Locally inspired modern French cuisine set in a casual bistro atmosphere. Chef Nick Cassettari combines his classic training, top tier experience, and world travels with the best of British Columbia's bounty to create the fine flavours at Alta Bistro. Service is casual and prompt in the dining room and bar. The award winning wine list is French focused, with top local and international selections. Voted 2014 Whistler's Best Bartender creates exciting handcrafted cocktails. The cozy bistro atmosphere is lively and welcoming. Reservations are a must.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Alta Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
12 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (8)notable wine list (7)special occasion (6)romantic (5)neighborhood gem (5)good for groups (3)great for outdoor dining (2)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Amazing Find!sweetbelleDined on 8/23/2014Picked up a deal on Travel zoo.. what an amazing find.. had an amazing dinner with an even better dessert to finish up this lovely experience. Great flavours and for someone who has never ventured much with food, I was very impressed!Special Features:
- Repeat dinersundawnjoyVIPDined on 8/23/2014Of my last 4 trips to Whistler, I have dined here 3 times. High quality food, locally sourced ingredients. Contemporary creations are not always what you expect, but always a pleasant surprise. One of best lamb dishes we've ever had. Desserts are fantastic as well. Must try their drink creations, even the non-alcoholic ones. I never knew douglas fir and bourbon would pair so well!Special Features:
- ServiceFelineDined on 8/21/2014Service was very bad. Bij alle andere tafels werd uitgebreid alle gerechten uitgelegd, bij ons werd t maar neergezet en eet maar op... Niet vriendelijk, werd niet naar ons omgekeken ook niet toen we weggingen.
- they gave our table away!JKWMDined on 8/16/2014We booked this restaurant through opentable a day in advance to celebrate my husband's birthday. Upon arriving, we were informed that a "large group from Crankworx" had arrived, and they had given our table away to them. We were hungry after a long day, so stayed to eat at the bar, but the whole experience left a bad taste in our mouth. In the meantime, other couples came, and had their reservations honoured, so we're not sure why we were singled out for the cancellation. We do come to Whistler quite regularly, and had a bad experience at Alta bistro previously, but had decided to go back based on all the good reviews they get. It's a shame, because the food was much improved since our last visit, a few years ago.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Nice place to have dinner during vacation. Would come back here, good value for moneySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 196 reviews are from the Alta Bistro reviews archive.
- Sublime Alta BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 1/2/2013Our dinner at Alta Bistro was sublime. We have eaten at all of top restaurants in Whistler many times; this is by far the best of them, and the food even stacks up favorably against some of the top-rated restaurants we have visited around the world. The location is not so romantic as some, but the interior is charming, warm and current. Wait staff are sophisticated; service was perfect. That the menu is so incomprehensibly affordable (we paid $39.00 for three courses) is the ganache on the gateau. Run, don't walk.Special Features:
- The best part of our mealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/24/2012The best part of our meal was the 2 cocktails from the cocktail list- delicious. Other than that, I was really disappointed and underwhelmed by the food. I have had far superior "French" food for less money and including a bottle of wine. My friend and I only had 2 cocktails and a glass of wine each with dinner. For a cost of $150+, I would expect more. I also personally found the menu uninspired- the goat cheese "mousse" left me wanting the actual cheese and I found the 3-course menu with options that were +9$ sort of tacky (particularly for what you got- which I did). I should have known better in Whistler- I should have gone to the Rim Rock. It is unfortunate as the decor and vibe of AB is really charming. But I won't go back.
- Outstanding! My fifth timeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/23/2012Outstanding! My fifth time to this restaurant, and it continues to delight me! I took my two sisters for a special occasion, and they both loved it as well. possibly the BEST DESSERTS of my LIFE (and I have had lots of desserts!). Cannot remember the name of the two desserts..both recommended by the waitress, everything she recommended was perfect. Thank you!Special Features:
- An experience in flavors andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/23/2012An experience in flavors and unique combinations! Check menu for current prices as they do change. Not a great place to take 20 year old boys who go for quantity and not quality.Special Features:
- Alta Bistro continues to impress.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/21/2012Alta Bistro continues to impress us with it's 'local' based menu, showcasing fare from the sea to sky corridor. Great job guys & continued success!Special Features:
- Very nice restaurant. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/3/2012Very nice restaurant. The service was excellent. Plenty of staff all willing to help you out at any time. The cocktail list is excellent and the bartender was very good. This restaurant could improve their beer selection. Only Whistler brand beer on tap and few bottled beer selection. Overall, a very nice experience.Special Features:
- still a winning combo - excellentlocal2Dined on 10/20/2012still a winning combo - excellent food and reasonable price for quality and presentation! chef never disappoints in creating seasonal creative tasty dishes!Special Features:
- I have lived in Whistler forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/13/2012I have lived in Whistler for 17 years and this is by far my favourite restaurant. Not only the food is spectacular, very creative with outstanding presentation, the prices are very reasonable. The owners and staff are so welcoming and are always up to something new to offer they regular clientele. A must stop for all out-of-town foodies.Special Features:
- Had heard about this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/13/2012Had heard about this restaurant from a few different people in Vancouver. Drove up for the day and decided to make Alta the dinner destination. Did not disappoint! Great selection of local food and outstanding service. One of my new favourite restaurants.Special Features:
- Outstanding food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/1/2012Outstanding food and service. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Surprisingly DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/29/2012My husband and I have been going to Whistler for our anniversary for a few years now. I actually wanted to return to the restaurant we went to last time, but it was closed. So after searching on the internet I've decided to give this one a try. We chose from the $19 menu and my 3rd Course was the Pan Fried Lois Lake Steelhead Filet. The fish was panfried, nice and crispy outside and tender inside. I loved the combination of different textures of the dish, fish, beans and the broth. It was surprisingly delicious. My husband had the Beef Short Rib and he said it was very good also. The waiter was very attentive and recommended the Semifreddo for dessert. It was amazing and I'm still thinking about it after two days. Well done!Special Features:
- make add ons worth it:)OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2012great 3 course for"19$" i paid 7+ for the charcuterie which was great with veal tongue, and nice cured meats, was very excited about the confit octopus, (+7) but noticed the main pig steak(roast haM) was most of the dish , a kitchens cheap way of filler . there was not too much octupus but if it were not an add on would have made sense.. the main i had was scallop( 1) w prawn(2) and a nice pave and puree .It was delicious !! but very small.again it would have made sense without the extra add on price(+12). our $50 bottle of wine was more worth the price paid but i will go back for sure.Special Features:
- We were disappointed thatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2012We were disappointed that half of the items on the prix fixe menu required additional fees above and beyond the advertized $19 charge. Portions (particularly for the pricier items) were notably small. None of the food was bad, the place was clean, and the staff was attentive so the experience wasn't bad, just not the "fine dining" were expecting.Special Features:
- A Gem of a Restaurant!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/23/2012Exquisite food artfully presented. We chose from the options priced at $19.99 for a three course meal. That was followed by a shared dessert. Great taste sensations with extremely friendly and timely service. Thanks to this website we found a true gem in Whistler!!!Special Features:
- My wife and i went there becauseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/22/2012My wife and i went there because she had already gone there before. We had a reservation and thank god we did because it was quite packed and still had to wait. We had the 3 course menu and every single dish was extremely fine and good. This is real European portions. I was still full since there were 3 courses. You can always have dessert if you are still hungry.Special Features:
- Very creative and well thought-outOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/22/2012Very creative and well thought-out food! Always a pleasant experience as the staff are attentive and friendly, but still professional.Special Features:
- Don't miss out on Alta Bistro!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/15/2012You will not be disappointed with your meal at Alta Bistro. The food and wine pairing recommendations were sublime - as well as the presentation of each course. And Scott, the "cocktail technician", is a true magician with his drink mixing. My mouth is still watering...Special Features:
- My only issue with this BistroFoodmonkeyDined on 9/15/2012My only issue with this Bistro was the pricing which was very high for what they were offering. There hidden prices, for instance they offered a bread basket and then charged for it, yet presented themselves as fine dining - which is untypical seeing as how expensive the courses were.Special Features:
- Grand Fondo topping...HersheyVIPDined on 9/8/2012After a epic bike ride from Vancouver to Whistler, Grand Fondo, this place was the icing on the medal.. Eric, waiter, was excellent, great knowledge on wine pairing with our 3 courses. Whistler, gem.Special Features:
- This Bistro was recommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/1/2012This Bistro was recommended by 2 people within 2 days so we thought we would check it out while in Whistler. Our reservation was for 8:30 on a Saturday night. They were late taking us by a few minutes so offered us a sparkling wine when we sat down to compensate. (nice touch) The price fixed 3 course menu had lots of selection considering the size of the kitchen. We liked the pace of courses giving us time to enjoy each others company without feeling rushed. The food choice varied from the "usual" to the exotic. The choices made us stretch ourselves to more then adventurous and we were glad we did. The salad was spectacular as were the short ribs and duck. Fabulous evening! The servers were engaged and very active in conversing.
- You had me at powdered duck fat!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2012Amazing!!! We had heard it was the best restaurant in Whistler and it did not disappoint. The service, menu and beverages were outstanding. And truly, you had me at "Powdered Duck Fat"!Special Features:
- Gourmet treat for the foodieAlskiDined on 8/26/2012Gourmet treat for the foodie in you. The 3-course menu I ordered from was well thought-out and executed perfectly. Fantastic! A home run for the chef(s).Special Features:
- Local produceSoulFriendDined on 8/26/2012All in all it was a good dining experience, the food outshone the service. Good wine list with local BC wines as well as an International selection.Special Features:
- Wine, food, ambiance & staffOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2012Wine, food, ambiance & staff were all suberb. Wonderful meal - will certainly be back.Special Features:
- dined during visit to WhistlerOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/23/2012dined during visit to Whistler and had a terrific meal and experience. A pleasant and pleasing find, especially compared to other restaurants in Whistler. Thoughtful and balanced (variety and price points) wine list with extremely knowledgeable and easy to talk with wine buyer/director. Small and very comfortable setting and professional yet casual service staff. Kitchen delivered yummy and great looking plates. Given size of restaurant suggest reservations.Special Features:
- This is a real gem in Whistler.RushedVIPDined on 8/21/2012This is a real gem in Whistler. Great food, great setting and the service was outstanding.Special Features:
- Small and cozy restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/18/2012Small and cozy restaurant with a great vibe. The food was outstanding and we will be returning.Special Features:
- Whistler's Best restaurant by farOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2012The food ( duck & short ribs) were great but it was the service that was amazing & noteworthy. would go again for sure & recommend to friends. great job!!!Special Features:
- We really enjoyed the conceptOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2012We really enjoyed the concept of a fixed price dinner with three savoury courses. It gave us lots of choices and the opportunity to try some dishes we would not normally find such as pickled tongue. The food was very good. We had the charcuterie, ceviche, pickled tongue, the elk and duck parfait, the short ribs and the duck breast. My only niggle was that the ribs were a little drier than I would have liked, but the bread pudding that came with the ribs was a standout. The parfait was incredible. The service was good. We had a great dining experience.Special Features:
- We each chose the 3 courseOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2012We each chose the 3 course dinner for $29 and found it to be hit and miss. We enjoyed the soup, ceviche & tomato salad but found the mains (duck and salmon) to be overly contrived with too many competing flavours. Those of us on the patio were not attended to promptly; the wait staff seemed distracted or perhaps just overly busy with the tables inside.
- Outstanding service and food.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2012Outstanding service and food. Best we experienced while in Whistler.Special Features:
- Fantastic food presintationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2012Fantastic food presintation and tast. Plus great service.Special Features:
- This is one of my favouritejhinbcDined on 8/9/2012This is one of my favourite restaurants in Whistler. Really good value and a very creative menu. Thanks for another outstanding meal!Special Features:
- This was the very best restaurantLivetoeatDined on 8/5/2012This was the very best restaurant that we tried in Whistler - fantastically original menu, fabulous food, attentive, friendly and accomodating service and reasobaly priced. Its a must, must try. Note:The restaurant is somewhat samall so make you you reserve early so as not to be disappointed.Special Features:
- Best deal in WhistlerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/5/2012Wonderful place. Great food, amazing price. We will be back. This was one of the best meals we have had in the last year combined with the great prix fixe we couldn't stay away. I would be willing to pay at least 50% more than they are charging. So glad we discovered it.Special Features: