1200 N. First St.
Saint Louis, MO 63102Neighborhood:
Downtown St. Louis
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.alsrestaurant.net/
- Phone: 3144216399
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tues-Thurs 5:00-9:00 PM - Fri & Sat 5:00 -10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Franklin Turner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Al"s offers two beautiful private dining rooms as well as full restaurant accommodations. Special events, business gatherings/meetings, rehearsal dinners, wedding receptions, Al's attention to detail creates an outstanding dining experience for you and your guests.
- Private Party Contact: Pam Neal 3144216399
- Special Events: Wine Wednesdays - half off wine (bottle or wine-by-the-glass) priced $100 or less every Wednesday
A word from Al's Restaurant
Al's has defined fine-dining in St. Louis for over 86 years; a beloved landmark which has earned its reputation as one of the top restaurants in the U.S. Featuring award-winning steaks, lobster, seafood and pasta, Al's creates the total dining experience. Fresh menu presentation, elegant tableside service, beautiful ambiance, generous portions and excellent wine list are the standard. Traditional offerings found at no other steakhouse include Steak Diane, Chateaubriand, and our signature dish, "Beef Romano". Try Bananas Foster flambé or a Chocolate Soufflé for a sweet after dinner indulgence. Complete with tableside Café Napoleon or Café Diablo. Ask and you shall receive. Third and fourth generations of the Barroni family invite you to join us for a nightly celebration of outstanding food, wine and ambiance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Al's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Downtown St. Louis ›
Al's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (23)romantic (17)notable wine list (14)good for groups (12)fit for foodies (8)neighborhood gem (8)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- A PERFECT EVENING AT AL'SOpenTableDinerSince2012Dined on 8/21/2014Must say that if you look up the word "perfection" in the dictionary, you will see a picture of Al's Restaurant in downtown St Louis. Everything from beginning to end was just perfect. The evening started out with valet parking and as soon as I was seated they brought out fresh Artesian breads with a blue cheese spread which is just out of this world! I ordered a Manhattan which was made just right. My appetizer was their creamy lobster bisque soup which is the best you will ever have anywhere. My salad was delicious, the sorbet between my salad and entree was a touch of class, my steak and lobster thermidore were extremely fresh and cooked to order and my "free" birthday desert was a double fudge chocolate cake. I will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Al's Was Great!OpenTableDinerSince2011VIPDined on 8/19/2014After reading the review from THEDICK dated 07/19/2014 on OT I just had to go to Al’s because of all of the great things I have always heard about the place and since THEDICK did not even eat there I took his review as someone who most likely was way in over his head and not used to a fine dining establishment. I must say that I was very surprised that OT even allowed someone who did not even eat at a restaurant to post a review. To bad for Tony's if THEDICK actually went there. Since I actually ate at Al’s it was the best meal and experience that I have ever had. Everyone was dressed nicely when I was there and the service was prompt and courteous. I just loved the ambiance of this historic St Louis landmark. I will be back soon.Special Features:
- A Fading Gem?Sooner2UVIPDined on 8/12/2014We tried Al's in spite of the less positive reviews and can appreciate the differences in opinion after dining there. The service was outstanding but the food failed to live up to the more positive reviews. The menu includes a wide variety including steak, seafood, lamb, pork and chicken with a great selection of side dishes. The appetizers and salads were very good but the main course failed to live up to the great start. We had the filet and lobster combination. Unfortunately the steak (one cooked well and the other medium) were both dry as was the lobster which was also a bit tough. Possibly the steak and lobster weren't as fresh as one would find in a restaurant with much more business.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JDMJRVIPDined on 8/9/2014Very, very busy night and obviously understaffed, but the staff that was there pulled it off and our first time guests were impressed. Great food as always.
- OpenTableDinerSince2012Dined on 7/24/2014Went to Al's for dinner and had a great experience. The Lobster Bisque is the best I have ever had hands down. It is filled with chunks of lobster and it is nice and creamy. I wold definitely recommend ordering it when you go. For my entree I ordered the filet. The filet was cooked perfectly to how I ordered it and it just melted in my mouth. The service was great and my server was very attentive making sure my drinks were filled and that everything was to my liking. I will be back, hopefully very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Al'sMollyB2744VIPDined on 7/23/2014Great food and service. The food especially the steak, ranks in the top fives best, I have ever had. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- THEDUKETHEDUKEDined on 7/19/2014Old, shabby, were ignored by two waiters and what appeared to be a busboy when we arrived at 7:30 on Saturday. Only employees we saw. Maybe 25 people in entire place. Diners were older and most dressed in picnic attire; shorts and sandals.Bar dark. We waited at the front door a few minutes and decided to leave. Busboy came out and asked us to come back. We declined! High point was young parking attendant offering to refund the five dollars I gave him to watch my car. I gave him another five for being so nice. This is not the place we knew before we moved from St. Louis years ago. I don't think it can survive much longer. We went to Tony's for dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/18/2014Went to Al's for dinner with my girlfriend and we had a great time. The food was outstanding! Our server was very attentive and knowledgeable and we can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTableDinerSince2012Dined on 7/18/2014I went to Al's for dinner and had a lovely experience. Everything from the food to the service to the decor was excellent. I can't wait to go back and eat more of the great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Hidden GemDiningCritic10021VIPDined on 6/27/2014I will admit, when you first see the outside of the building, you may wonder why on earth someone recommended this place to you. But it's a hidden gem. Al's has been around since 1925 and the waiter will tell you a story about the old days. There is a sense of sadness that the place isn't as popular as it once was and yet the food makes it one of the best restaurants in town. The waiter is exceptional, he'll you that he's been working there for 44 years. There aren't menus as he is memorized about 20 appetizers. He'll display the meats on a silver platter and offer all sorts of options and variations to each. Expect to dine and not eat, although you can get appetizers at the bar.Special Features:
- Not worth the pricefoodie66Dined on 6/20/2014Very expensive for the quality of food. I could have cooked a better meal at home.
- greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/5/2014Great place for a romantic night. Do a little research on.the menu. The Italian names will confuse you If you not familiarSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENTOpenTableDinerSince2012Dined on 5/17/2014The food, service, ambience and atmosphere were all excellent at AL's tonight. Well be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTableDinerSince2009Dined on 5/17/2014Simply the best is the only way I can describe my dining experience at Al's tonight. My steak and lobster was an experience just by itself. The marbling of my steak was perfect making it so tender that I could almost cut it with my fork. The lobster tail was so succulent, it made you craving for more. The wine was excellent and the desert, double chocolate cake was amazing. At the end of the night when you add it all up you come to the conclusion that Al's is "Simply the Best!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rehearsal Dinner At Al'sOpenTableDinerSince2012Dined on 5/16/2014After a long day at work I was looking forward to my dinner at Al's. When I arrived and after I was seated I noticed some noise coming from one of their private dining rooms in the back and so I asked the waiter what was going on and he told me it was a rehearsal dinner. I told the waiter that I did not know that Al's did rehearsal dinners and he told me that they have anywhere from 2 to 3 per month and that right now they are getting a lot of graduations partys as well. Anyway the atmosphere tonight at Al's was very energetic and the food and service were outstanding. After my meal I went into their river boat bar and had a nice cognac. Just another wonderful night at Al's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late DinnerJDMJRVIPDined on 5/9/2014Everything was perfect even though we had late reservations.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary couplePastaDined on 5/9/2014This was our first visit at Al's. We enjoyed a scallop appetizer, steak Diane, salads etc. and an excellent wine. The scallops and steak Diane were exceptional. Both melted in your mouth; both dishes were the best ever. Service attentive but not excessive. The staff and the owner were very nice to chat with. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 321 reviews are from the Al's Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great Steak & LobsterOpenTableDined on 5/2/2014For the best steak and lobster you will ever have in your life, you will need to go to Al's Restaurant in downtown St Louis on the river front. This is what I ordered tonight and it was the best that I have ever had. The steak and lobster were so fresh and tender and perfectly cooked, that I could cut them with my fork. The service tonight was impeccable and the overall ambiance made for a wonderful evening. This is a one of a kind restaurant and there is no other place like this. Everything was just perfect. I can not wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A DELIGHTFUL EVENING AT AL'SOpenTableVIPDined on 4/30/2014It was wine Wednesday tonight at AL'S and the wine was flowing and the wine was 50% off. It was rather busy tonight in the dining rooms as was their bar that looks like a river boat from the 19th century. They have a dining room called the boat room that also has pictures and paintings from the 19th century. Quite fascinating especially if you are a St Louis history buff like I am. The food and wine tonight were outstanding and so was their table side service. I highly recommend AL'S for the food, the wine, the ambiance and the history of St Louis and the part of the Mississippi River that runs through this great city. It is like a dinner and a show all in one. I will be returning very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTableDinerSince2009Dined on 4/26/2014Thank you Al's for the wonderful evening tonight. It was so amazing that I just want to tell the whole world about you. After a long day of the hustles and bustles of every day life, it was so relaxing to be pampered while sitting in those plush high back leather chairs and have to do nothing but enjoy my drinks, the joyous atmosphere and my delicious meal for the evening. All of the days stresses seemed to have disappeared by the end of the night as I retired in the comfort of the riverboat bar. Everything was so splendid that I did not want to leave. The food, service and ambiance is so special at Al's, it makes you want to come back for more. I have never had any other experience at any other restaurant quiet the same. Thanks again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great Dinner At Al's!OpenTableReviewDined on 4/25/2014Just had another great dinner at Al's. This time I started off with the lobster bisque soup for my appetizer, next came my dinner salad which comes with your entree and for my entree I had the land and sea. The filet was cooked to perfection as was the lobster tail. For desert I had a chocolate souffle which I needed to order a couple of days ahead of time. The food at Al's is addicting and you always leave there stuffed or with a take home container and wanting to come back for more. Fortunately for me, my spouse and I will be going back to Al's very shortly. Some friends of ours just invited us to their son's graduation party that they are having at Al's and it is not going to be a set menu. We can order anything we want! Can't waitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTableDinerSince2012Dined on 4/25/2014I had a lovely dining experience at Al's. The food is truly amazing and the love and quality that the chef's put into the food really shows. The service was attentive and friendly. I will definitely be going back to Al's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FIRST CLASS ALL THE WAYOpenTableDinerSince2008Dined on 4/24/2014Greatly enjoyed my evening at AL'S tonight. It was a busy evening and everything was just perfect. AL'S is a white table cloth and cloth napkin restaurant. They use real silverware, silver bread dishes for their complimentary breads, silver wine canisters to hold and keep your wine and champagne chilled, silver gravy boats for your different kinds of sauces that you can order with your entrees if you want, silver sugar holders, silver capped salt & pepper shakers and little baby silver pouring dispensers for the cream you put into your coffee. In other words, when you go to AL'S everything is first class. The food is to die for and the servers in their black tuxedos are the best in the industry and all food is prepared table side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Graduation Party BookedOpenTableDinerSince2012Dined on 4/18/2014Another great evening at AL'S. I love this place so much that I booked my daughters graduation party in 1 of their 2 large dining rooms which are right behind the main dining room. I had my choice between the Gina Room which is setup and decorated like an Italian Villa right out of Italy or the Boat Room which has paintings and photos from the 1800's of the St Louis river front including paintings and photos of the Steam Boats that navigated the Mississippi River during that era. From all the times I have been to AL'S, I never knew that these 2 private rooms existed which are just perfect for all sorts of private parties from large birthday, anniversary and wedding receptions to office and graduation party's. My daughter can't wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Special Occasion FindOpenTableDinerSince2011VIPDined on 4/17/2014I'm getting married and have been testing and tasting out different venues St Louis has to offer for my rehearsal dinner. I wanted something unique to St. Louis with special touches, not a cookie-cutter chain restaurant. Happy to say Al's is perfect. Food was fabulous, one of the best steaks ever. The unique décor and tableside service add the special touches no one else does that will impress my guests. I loved the bar; the owner Pam said they could set up cocktails and appetizers in the lounge before dinner. Besides the great food, the family-owned feel and attention to detail is what sealed the deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A 5 Star Institutionluv2dineDined on 4/16/2014What an honor it was to dine at Al's, a St Louis institution. My steak and lobster entrée was cooked to perfection and the wine was 50% of since it was wine Wednesday. The table side service was expertly executed by waiters decked out in black tuxedos and the overall atmosphere and ambiance gives you a warm fuzzy feeling of elegance and sophistication. I considered it an honor to be in the hands and pampered for dinner by a St Louis institution that has been around since 1925. The best word I can come up with to describe Al's Restaurant in downtown St Louis is PHENOMENAL. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- like opening a time capsule!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014I was impressed by the tableside menu, the historic interior, and incredible attention to service that the wait staff showed. I would recommend Al's to anyone who is looking for a romantic dinner.Special Features:
- Good Time at Al'sOpenTableDinerDined on 4/11/2014Tonight at Al's, I had the best tasting Filet Mignon that I have ever had. It was cooked to perfection as was the rest of my meal. My friends that I met there tonight could not stop raving about their seafood dinners. One of them had the Chilean Sea Bass and the other had Lobster Thermidore and they too said it was the best that they have ever had. Another nice thing about Al's was that a salad came included with our dinners along with a serving of lemon sorbet after our salads. It was nice not to be nickeled and dimed for everything extra that we received. The drinks were delicious as was the Bananas Foster for our desserts. Every course was served by an excellent waiters staff and a good time was had by all. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrate Good Times Come OnOpenTableReviewDined on 4/9/2014What a special celebration enjoyed by all at AL'S. The food was terrific, the service was simply the best and the decor maid the perfect setting for this milestone occasion. What made things even better was it was wine Wednesday and the wine was half off. When you add it all up, AL'S is the place to go to Celebrate Good Times. I have already made my next reservation and I can hardly wait to experience another fantastic evening at AL'S.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Al's, An Exceptional ValueOpenTableDinerSince2009Dined on 4/8/2014Al's Restaurant in Downtown St Louis is the best value of any Fine Dining restaurant I have ever had the pleasure to dine at. With most fine dining establishments, everything is a la cart, but at Al's, you get a salad with your dinner. As far as prices go, if you can afford to go to the chain restaurants like Morton's, Fleming's and Ruth's Chris (which I do not really consider fine dining), then you will be happily surprised when you go to Al's because at Al's you get more value for less money. Plus, Al's has been locally owned by the same 4th generation St Louis family since 1925! Both the service and food are outstanding and the building is a historical landmark in and of itself and the ambiance is one of a kind. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnificent, Superb and ElegantOpenTableDinerSince2008Dined on 4/5/2014Magnificent, Superb and Elegant are just a few words that I can use to describe my evening at Al's. For my appetizer I had carpachio. For my entree I had the steak romano and lobster tail which also included a dinner salad at no extra charge. For dessert I had the chocolate souffle which I needed to order a few days in advance. Everything from the beginning until the end was prepared and served to perfection. After dinner I went into their world famous riverboat bar for an after dinner drink. I could not have asked for a nicer evening. Thank you Als. I will definately be returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real taste of St. LouisMAWhiteDined on 4/5/2014The wife and I celebrated our 20th at Al's and it was certainly up to the occasion. Many of the new high end steak house chains try to emulate the look and feel of a decades seasoned establishment but Al's is the real deal. Not having a menu was a little un-nerving at first but the service was so special that it was not only not needed but would have taken away from the wonderful experience. Everything was spot on perfect but I have to mention the chocolate soufflé; don't hesitate to order in advance and know that it's more than any one person should ever eat! I travel and dine out for business quite often and am happy to say that one of the finest restaurants is right here in my home town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flair, Fun & FiletsOpenTableDined on 4/3/2014What an incredible evening, Al's has a passion for making dining an event, not just a meal. Tableside service adds flair to the ambiance of this classic establishment. I couldn't decide on an appetizer, so Harold put together a combination of my favorites - that's where their "ask and you shall receive" reputation makes for a truly fun and personalized service. Then of course had to have a steak. The 6oz filet was the perfect size and choice for me. Everything was cooked to perfection. It was an unhurried and relaxed evening where everyone makes you feel like you are their only customer, even when the dining room is full. The owner was also very gracious. Al's is definitely THE place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TOP ST. LOUIS DESTINATIONOpenTableVIPDined on 4/1/2014This restaurant is my top destination for dining in St. Louis. The food is melt in your mouth delicious. The table side service by waiters dressed in tuxedos is second to none. The bar is a must see. Portions sizes for food and drinks are large. I had enough food left over for another meal. i enjoyed the history of the restaurant told to me by Bob who was my waiter. This is truly an amazing institution. I will be returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LegendPaulVIPDined on 3/29/2014It was a wonderful dinner at a legendary location. While other restaurants talk service and food, Al's still delivers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Al's needs to change with the timesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/28/2014We ate at Al's on 3/28 with a 7:15 reservation and were 1 of 2 tables until about 8ish when 3 other tables showed up. The place was dead. The food was just ok overall. The garlic cream cheese spread for the bread basket was very good. Shrimp cocktail was just ok. Lobster in the Lobster Bisque was overcooked and soup was salty. Steaks were nice but the table side finishing was super old school and not classy. Steak butter was AWESOME. Wait staff was very polite and good, but tux outfits are very dated. Decor is soooooooo outdated. Restaurant seemed clean. Our bill was over $300 and I really expected more for the price we paid. Overall there was nothing WOW about Al's.
- Went to Al's for dinner andOpenTableDinerSince2012Dined on 3/27/2014Went to Al's for dinner and had a wonderful experience. The service was outstanding and the food was delightful. I really enjoyed myself the whole night. I can't wait to go back and dine there again. Al's is a must go to!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to bewoodarchDined on 3/22/2014Went to Als last weekend. Huge disappointment. Had been many times spanning 25 years. Steak was was under cooked. Nobody checked on us. When we complained about the food the management argued with us. Never going back. Don't waste your time or money.
- Best soufflés in town, mustLauraCVIPDined on 3/22/2014Best soufflés in town, must order them in advance of your visit though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went there for our 25thgocardinalsDined on 3/8/2014We went there for our 25th anniversary. Great place, food was excellent and service outstanding we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.