1200 N. First St.
Saint Louis, MO 63102Neighborhood:
Downtown St. Louis
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.alsrestaurant.net/
- Phone: 3144216399
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tues-Thurs 5:00-9:00 PM - Fri & Sat 5:00 -10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Franklin Turner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Al"s offers two beautiful private dining rooms as well as full restaurant accommodations. Special events, business gatherings/meetings, rehearsal dinners, wedding receptions, Al's attention to detail creates an outstanding dining experience for you and your guests.
- Private Party Contact: Pam Neal 3144216399
- Special Events: Wine Wednesdays - half off wine (bottle or wine-by-the-glass) priced $100 or less every Wednesday
A word from Al's Restaurant
Al's has defined fine-dining in St. Louis for over 86 years; a beloved landmark which has earned its reputation as one of the top restaurants in the U.S. Featuring award-winning steaks, lobster, seafood and pasta, Al's creates the total dining experience. Fresh menu presentation, elegant tableside service, beautiful ambiance, generous portions and excellent wine list are the standard. Traditional offerings found at no other steakhouse include Steak Diane, Chateaubriand, and our signature dish, "Beef Romano". Try Bananas Foster flambé or a Chocolate Soufflé for a sweet after dinner indulgence. Complete with tableside Café Napoleon or Café Diablo. Ask and you shall receive. Third and fourth generations of the Barroni family invite you to join us for a nightly celebration of outstanding food, wine and ambiance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Al's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Downtown St. Louis ›
Al's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (39)romantic (31)notable wine list (26)good for groups (25)neighborhood gem (16)fit for foodies (14)hot spot (9)late-night find (6)scenic view (1)Show More
- Consistenly GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Appreciate that Al's is always consistently great. No where is lobster bisque any better. The service is gracious and attentive. I recommend putting Al's on your must dine list!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014Everything was great, very fresh and so visually appealing. Sat in the lounge to enjoy their Tuesday specials, then dined in their main dining room. Al's is a fusion of old world classic meets elegant refinement; the atmosphere is light and fun, not stuffy. Extra touches place Al's ahead of the rest. Blackened salmon with Cajun pasta was wonderful. Staff and owner were friendly and engaging. Will be back soon!Special Features:
- Al's ALWAYS Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Tried the mixed grill - combo of all my favorites - filet, lamb chop and bacon wrapped scallops. My friend tried the Italian dinner. Both equally excellent, and both very reasonably priced. I was stuffed, but couldn't pass up the Bananas Foster. The whole experience is decadent. It's always a great evening at Al's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As Good As It GetsGeorgeMDined on 9/12/2014Friday night out and Al's was the perfect spot to savor an excellent steak. NY strip is outstanding and the Italian potatoes are the best. At Al's you get all the amenities and extra touches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PHENOMENALOpenTableDinerSince2011VIPDined on 9/11/2014Phenomenal dinner tonight as always at Al's. The Sea Bass and New York Strip were terrific as was the rest of my meal. We tried their signature Cosmopolitano cocktail and it was over the top. Everything tonight was and has always been phenomenal and over the top at Al's. We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable-will be back!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Really enjoyable dinner. AL'S was recommended by a friend and I was impressed from the moment I walked in the door. The décor is unique, yet elegant and inviting. Food is wonderful and the service was very good. The little touches like the blue cheese spread, sorbet palette cleanser, and their signature menu tray put this restaurant a notch above the rest. Lots of amenities and special touches that is only found in a local, family owned restaurant. Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SUPERBOpenTableDined on 9/6/2014It was rather crowded tonight. The food was magnificent, the table side service from the tuxedo clad waiters was grand and the decor was elegant. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best Steak & Bourbonluv2dineDined on 9/5/2014Was looking to jump start the weekend with a great steak and a couple of bourbons. Al's NY strip was a very generous 16oz, well-marbled, so flavorful specimen, it rocked the evening. Simply paired with their house salad and over stuffed twice baked potato I enjoyed every single bite. I'm a fan of Blanton's and you get a very decent pour at Al's. Some friends joined me in the bar after dinner and I think we closed the place down. Both Harold and Bob were great and we will definitely be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nobody Does It Better Than Al'sOpenTableReviewDined on 9/2/2014I'm a 3rd generation Al's patron. My grandparents and parents took me to Al's and now I take my family to Al's. Through out the years, Al's has always stayed consistent by serving the freshest and most flavorful food that money can buy. Their mussels appetizers cooked in mustard dill sauce bring your taste buds alive. I just love the dressing they put on their salads and their tender melt in your mouth cuts of beef. I really love their beef apricot and beef burgundy filets. They are full of flavor and tenderness and I can almost cut them with my fork. For my side dish I usually order their huge twice baked potato. Dessert? Take your pick. Souffle, bananas foster, double thick chocolate mouse cake, ice cream and more. Will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- St. Louis' FinestOpenTableDinerSince2009Dined on 8/30/2014Definitely the top Fine Dining restaurant in St. Louis. Our steaks and seafood were cooked perfectly to order and the overall service was outstanding. The detail put into the design of their bar including the mural on the walls of the Mississippi River in the 1800's is incredible. It was rather busy tonight but the entire evening came off without a hitch. Try their lobster bisque soup, it is amazing. We will absolutely be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Al's is CEO and Celebrity CentralOpenTableDinerSince2009Dined on 8/29/2014When going to Al's be prepared to dine with someone you'll probably never get to see up close and personal. For a decade I've worked for one of the largest employers and Fortune 100 companies in STL. I've never seen my CEO up close and personal until I went to Al's. I was totally blown away! Al's is my favorite restaurant of all times. The food, service, ambiance and it's high profile clientele is what keeps me coming back. Not only have I seen some of the most notable athletes, movie stars and politicians, I recently saw Augie B at Al's who I had only seen on TV in his past beer commercials. So I figure if Al's attracts this type of crowd then the food, service and everything else must be the best, putting me in first class company.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST FOOD & DINING EXPERIENCE EVEROpenTableDinerDined on 8/27/2014I had the best dining experience of my life tonight at Al's. The salad with the house vinaigrette was light and seasoned to perfection. I used their delicious pumpernickel bread that they serve to sop up the rest of the dressing. My steak romano was just perfect and I consumed every last morsel of it and even though the portions are very large, the taste made me crave for more. My side dish was Italian fries again a very large portion and delicious as well. To top of the evening I ordered their bananas foster which was prepared table side and I must say it again, it was the best I have ever had. I finished the evening off with a glass of Cognac in their riverboat bar which in itself is a sight to see. Al's is a must go to destination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Steaks and SeafoodOpenTableDinerSince2008Dined on 8/26/2014We had an enjoyable evening tonight at Al's. Our steaks and seafood were excellent as was the dinner salad that comes along with your entree at no additional charge. We love everything about Al's especially it's rich St Louis history and the fact that the 3rd and 4th generations of the same family still runs and owns it. We plan on having our company's Christmas party at Al's again this year. Our employees just love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AL'S, BEST 5 STAR RESTAURANT EVER!OpenTableDinerSince2008Dined on 8/23/2014Aug 23 was our 25th anniversary and wanted to surprise my hubby with the best 5-star restaurant in St. Louis. Al’s was the perfect venue for this occasion; menu selections & excellent wait staff are 2nd to none. Our drinks, apps, salads, entrées, desserts & after-dinner drinks were all 1st class. You’ll never find a better restaurant anywhere. The atmosphere was vibrant, full of patrons enjoying the evening but we still felt the attention & intimacy of private dining. Our lobster thermidore and beef apricot were absolutely delicious. Al’s preparations and sauces add complexity and dimension, which is unique to Al’s and can’t be found at cookie-cutter steak chains. Never disappointed, Al’s integrity of food & service is always consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Bad Resteraunt7StlVIPDined on 8/23/2014We have lived in St. Louis for almost 7 years, and have eaten at most of the reviewed restaurants in Zagat an Open Table. I can safely say, this was our worst meal we have ever had in 7 years. The staff is very nice, and the service was awesome. The real issue was the food. The appetizers were greasy, the salads were bland, the entrees were tasteless. For a 300.00 dinner, I would recommend any restaurant but Al's. There is no question that it is a matter of time before it is closed. Its a shame, because it has a lot character. Just not no substance. Even the steak chains such as Mortons and Ruth Chris, are at least 1000 times better. And I dont love the chains. Please, do spend your money, you will feel taken at the end.
- Delicious Gourmet JourneyOpenTableDinerSince2012Dined on 8/22/2014Al's is a steak lover's and foodie’s dream. You're dazzled with a wealth of selections all equally tempting and all eloquently verbalized by the seasoned wait staff. At Al’s they know their stuff which shows in the attentive service, but not too much, and the incomparable food. Al’s is classic and timeless, but with enough of a unique twist that it’s never stuffy or boring. My goal is to go back enough to try everything on the menu at least once – it may take a while but it will be a super delicious journey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A PERFECT EVENING AT AL'SOpenTableDinerSince2012Dined on 8/21/2014Must say that if you look up the word "perfection" in the dictionary, you will see a picture of Al's Restaurant in downtown St Louis. Everything from beginning to end was just perfect. The evening started out with valet parking and as soon as I was seated they brought out fresh Artesian breads with a blue cheese spread which is just out of this world! I ordered a Manhattan which was made just right. My appetizer was their creamy lobster bisque soup which is the best you will ever have anywhere. My salad was delicious, the sorbet between my salad and entree was a touch of class, my steak and lobster thermidore were extremely fresh and cooked to order and my "free" birthday desert was a double fudge chocolate cake. I will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Al's, it's a NaturalOpenTableDinerSince2011VIPDined on 8/20/2014Headed to Al's after work for their mid-week Wine Wednesday. It's always a treat to unwind with their extraordinary food, great classic drinks and half-off wine. Tried beer battered lobster and wow, fantastic. Even though I really like their regular house salad with the zippy Italian dressing I went for the Caesar; it's freshly made tableside and paired great with the lobster. The great thing about Al's is their high standard of excellence for food and service and since my office is downtown it's a natural for a drink, dinner date, or to impress a client. And believe me, my clients are always impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Al's Was Great!OpenTableDinerSince2011VIPDined on 8/19/2014After reading the review from THEDICK dated 07/19/2014 on OT I just had to go to Al’s because of all of the great things I have always heard about the place and since THEDICK did not even eat there I took his review as someone who most likely was way in over his head and not used to a fine dining establishment. I must say that I was very surprised that OT even allowed someone who did not even eat at a restaurant to post a review. To bad for Tony's if THEDICK actually went there. Since I actually ate at Al’s it was the best meal and experience that I have ever had. Everyone was dressed nicely when I was there and the service was prompt and courteous. I just loved the ambiance of this historic St Louis landmark. I will be back soon.Special Features:
- A Fading Gem?Sooner2UVIPDined on 8/12/2014We tried Al's in spite of the less positive reviews and can appreciate the differences in opinion after dining there. The service was outstanding but the food failed to live up to the more positive reviews. The menu includes a wide variety including steak, seafood, lamb, pork and chicken with a great selection of side dishes. The appetizers and salads were very good but the main course failed to live up to the great start. We had the filet and lobster combination. Unfortunately the steak (one cooked well and the other medium) were both dry as was the lobster which was also a bit tough. Possibly the steak and lobster weren't as fresh as one would find in a restaurant with much more business.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JDMJRVIPDined on 8/9/2014Very, very busy night and obviously understaffed, but the staff that was there pulled it off and our first time guests were impressed. Great food as always.
- Would have been cool in the 1950'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014Quite a dated place and menu. I can appreciate classic establishments; However, this place was quiet and had a stale feel to it. The food quality wasn't reflected of the price point.
- OpenTableDinerSince2012Dined on 7/24/2014Went to Al's for dinner and had a great experience. The Lobster Bisque is the best I have ever had hands down. It is filled with chunks of lobster and it is nice and creamy. I wold definitely recommend ordering it when you go. For my entree I ordered the filet. The filet was cooked perfectly to how I ordered it and it just melted in my mouth. The service was great and my server was very attentive making sure my drinks were filled and that everything was to my liking. I will be back, hopefully very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Al'sMollyB2744VIPDined on 7/23/2014Great food and service. The food especially the steak, ranks in the top fives best, I have ever had. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- THEDUKETHEDUKEDined on 7/19/2014Old, shabby, were ignored by two waiters and what appeared to be a busboy when we arrived at 7:30 on Saturday. Only employees we saw. Maybe 25 people in entire place. Diners were older and most dressed in picnic attire; shorts and sandals.Bar dark. We waited at the front door a few minutes and decided to leave. Busboy came out and asked us to come back. We declined! High point was young parking attendant offering to refund the five dollars I gave him to watch my car. I gave him another five for being so nice. This is not the place we knew before we moved from St. Louis years ago. I don't think it can survive much longer. We went to Tony's for dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/18/2014Went to Al's for dinner with my girlfriend and we had a great time. The food was outstanding! Our server was very attentive and knowledgeable and we can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTableDinerSince2012Dined on 7/18/2014I went to Al's for dinner and had a lovely experience. Everything from the food to the service to the decor was excellent. I can't wait to go back and eat more of the great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Hidden GemDiningCritic10021VIPDined on 6/27/2014I will admit, when you first see the outside of the building, you may wonder why on earth someone recommended this place to you. But it's a hidden gem. Al's has been around since 1925 and the waiter will tell you a story about the old days. There is a sense of sadness that the place isn't as popular as it once was and yet the food makes it one of the best restaurants in town. The waiter is exceptional, he'll you that he's been working there for 44 years. There aren't menus as he is memorized about 20 appetizers. He'll display the meats on a silver platter and offer all sorts of options and variations to each. Expect to dine and not eat, although you can get appetizers at the bar.Special Features:
- Not worth the pricefoodie66Dined on 6/20/2014Very expensive for the quality of food. I could have cooked a better meal at home.
- greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/5/2014Great place for a romantic night. Do a little research on.the menu. The Italian names will confuse you If you not familiarSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 326 reviews are from the Al's Restaurant reviews archive.
- EXCELLENTOpenTableDinerSince2012Dined on 5/17/2014The food, service, ambience and atmosphere were all excellent at AL's tonight. Well be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTableDinerSince2009Dined on 5/17/2014Simply the best is the only way I can describe my dining experience at Al's tonight. My steak and lobster was an experience just by itself. The marbling of my steak was perfect making it so tender that I could almost cut it with my fork. The lobster tail was so succulent, it made you craving for more. The wine was excellent and the desert, double chocolate cake was amazing. At the end of the night when you add it all up you come to the conclusion that Al's is "Simply the Best!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rehearsal Dinner At Al'sOpenTableDinerSince2012Dined on 5/16/2014After a long day at work I was looking forward to my dinner at Al's. When I arrived and after I was seated I noticed some noise coming from one of their private dining rooms in the back and so I asked the waiter what was going on and he told me it was a rehearsal dinner. I told the waiter that I did not know that Al's did rehearsal dinners and he told me that they have anywhere from 2 to 3 per month and that right now they are getting a lot of graduations partys as well. Anyway the atmosphere tonight at Al's was very energetic and the food and service were outstanding. After my meal I went into their river boat bar and had a nice cognac. Just another wonderful night at Al's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late DinnerJDMJRVIPDined on 5/9/2014Everything was perfect even though we had late reservations.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary couplePastaDined on 5/9/2014This was our first visit at Al's. We enjoyed a scallop appetizer, steak Diane, salads etc. and an excellent wine. The scallops and steak Diane were exceptional. Both melted in your mouth; both dishes were the best ever. Service attentive but not excessive. The staff and the owner were very nice to chat with. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steak & LobsterOpenTableDined on 5/2/2014For the best steak and lobster you will ever have in your life, you will need to go to Al's Restaurant in downtown St Louis on the river front. This is what I ordered tonight and it was the best that I have ever had. The steak and lobster were so fresh and tender and perfectly cooked, that I could cut them with my fork. The service tonight was impeccable and the overall ambiance made for a wonderful evening. This is a one of a kind restaurant and there is no other place like this. Everything was just perfect. I can not wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A DELIGHTFUL EVENING AT AL'SOpenTableVIPDined on 4/30/2014It was wine Wednesday tonight at AL'S and the wine was flowing and the wine was 50% off. It was rather busy tonight in the dining rooms as was their bar that looks like a river boat from the 19th century. They have a dining room called the boat room that also has pictures and paintings from the 19th century. Quite fascinating especially if you are a St Louis history buff like I am. The food and wine tonight were outstanding and so was their table side service. I highly recommend AL'S for the food, the wine, the ambiance and the history of St Louis and the part of the Mississippi River that runs through this great city. It is like a dinner and a show all in one. I will be returning very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTableDinerSince2009Dined on 4/26/2014Thank you Al's for the wonderful evening tonight. It was so amazing that I just want to tell the whole world about you. After a long day of the hustles and bustles of every day life, it was so relaxing to be pampered while sitting in those plush high back leather chairs and have to do nothing but enjoy my drinks, the joyous atmosphere and my delicious meal for the evening. All of the days stresses seemed to have disappeared by the end of the night as I retired in the comfort of the riverboat bar. Everything was so splendid that I did not want to leave. The food, service and ambiance is so special at Al's, it makes you want to come back for more. I have never had any other experience at any other restaurant quiet the same. Thanks again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great Dinner At Al's!OpenTableReviewDined on 4/25/2014Just had another great dinner at Al's. This time I started off with the lobster bisque soup for my appetizer, next came my dinner salad which comes with your entree and for my entree I had the land and sea. The filet was cooked to perfection as was the lobster tail. For desert I had a chocolate souffle which I needed to order a couple of days ahead of time. The food at Al's is addicting and you always leave there stuffed or with a take home container and wanting to come back for more. Fortunately for me, my spouse and I will be going back to Al's very shortly. Some friends of ours just invited us to their son's graduation party that they are having at Al's and it is not going to be a set menu. We can order anything we want! Can't waitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTableDinerSince2012Dined on 4/25/2014I had a lovely dining experience at Al's. The food is truly amazing and the love and quality that the chef's put into the food really shows. The service was attentive and friendly. I will definitely be going back to Al's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.