1200 N. First St.
Saint Louis, MO 63102Neighborhood:
Downtown St. Louis
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.alsrestaurant.net/
- Phone: (314) 421-6399
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tues-Thurs 5:00-9:00 PM - Fri & Sat 5:00 -10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Franklin Turner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Al"s offers two beautiful private dining rooms as well as full restaurant accommodations. Special events, business gatherings/meetings, rehearsal dinners, wedding receptions, Al's attention to detail creates an outstanding dining experience for you and your guests.
- Private Party Contact: Pam Neal 3144216399
- Special Events: Wine Wednesdays - half off wine (bottle or wine-by-the-glass) priced $100 or less every Wednesday
A word from Al's Restaurant
Al's has defined fine-dining in St. Louis for over 86 years; a beloved landmark which has earned its reputation as one of the top restaurants in the U.S. Featuring award-winning steaks, lobster, seafood and pasta, Al's creates the total dining experience. Fresh menu presentation, elegant tableside service, beautiful ambiance, generous portions and excellent wine list are the standard. Traditional offerings found at no other steakhouse include Steak Diane, Chateaubriand, and our signature dish, "Beef Romano". Try Bananas Foster flambé or a Chocolate Soufflé for a sweet after dinner indulgence. Complete with tableside Café Napoleon or Café Diablo. Ask and you shall receive. Third and fourth generations of the Barroni family invite you to join us for a nightly celebration of outstanding food, wine and ambiance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Al's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Downtown St. Louis ›
Al's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (45)romantic (38)good for groups (28)notable wine list (28)neighborhood gem (23)fit for foodies (19)hot spot (14)late-night find (8)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- On the way backGlennMillerVIPDined on 11/15/2014This is a terrific but quirky place. It is on the one hand a classic old-school Midwest steakhouse and the steaks are to die for. The waiters wear tuxes and the service is impeccable. The only downside's are that the atmosphere is not so much old school as just " old". And the desolate location is a bit off putting. All in all if you want a great steak it's worth a tryI would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good anniversary dinnerscmdavisDined on 11/6/2014First of all the was only three tables of patrons, but it was a week night. The food was very good but was over priced. The service was outstanding. Harold, the waiter, said he has been there for 45 years and knows the menu back and forward. The place needs a face lift. I would go again.Special Features:
- Marvelous experienceClarksvilleAcctDined on 11/4/2014Al's is one of a very few restaurants in St. Louis that continues to have traditional five star service. Steaks were simply outstanding! Perfectly prepared and finished table side. The menu is a tray of entrees-very unique. Wonderful House salad.Special Features:
- Great food and great servicegocardinalsDined on 11/1/2014Celebrated my husband's birthday there. Great food and service. We will be back. Best kept secret in St Louis!Special Features:
- JMLnyDined on 10/21/2014Old time atmosphere --- very expensive . Good wine list , also very expensive.Special Features:
- positives & negativesrestaurantluvDined on 10/15/2014On the positive side, the service was first rate, old school. The appetizers were fine as were the entrees for 4 of the 5 in our party. However, a big negative was my veal chop which I looked forward to having. The first one came out well done to the point of dryness, though I ordered medium. It was a beautiful piece of meat. They were gracious when I sent it back. They cooked another one for me which looked rare to medium, but was ice cold inside. I did not send it back or mention it, as everyone else was far along into their entrees by that time. It was truly sad. If people like décor stuck in time, it might appeal on that level.
- Top NotchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014A busy Saturday night and Al's didn't miss a beat - food and service were top notch. Tried the Beef Stroganoff and it was wonderful. My friends had the oversize pork chop with burgundy cherry reduction sauce and the lamb chops ettinger-style. Al's always seems to transform whatever you order into an extraordinary presentation and dining journey. Al's is truly one of a kind. Every time I tell my friends I'm going to Al's, they are jealous, and usually end up coming with me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisedRogieDined on 10/11/2014I had not been to Al's in over 30 yrs., some things don't change...like the great personal service & food, but the place is getting old looking, has a strange odor and is need of redecorating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CLASSIC STEAKHOUSEOpenTableDinerSince2012Dined on 10/11/2014We went to Al's and had one of the best meals of our lives. We love their classic steakhouse decor and their table side presentations. There is not another steakhouse anywhere that can match Al's food, service and character. We love the fact that they have kept their identity and decor the same because that is one thing that gives Al's it's character and makes Al's different from all the rest and unless you go there on a regular basis like we do you my not notice the subtle changes that they make. For instance most people do not know that all the wood work of which there is much of at Al's was hand carved by monks from the monastery. That hand carved wood work is irreplaceable. So if you are looking for something classy then go to Al'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best RestaurantGeorgeMDined on 10/10/2014Best restaurant experience ever. From start to finish service was spot on, steaks were juicy, flavorful and so tender from the great marbling. I've heard that Al's lobster bisque is the best of anywhere, and I can now attest that it's hands down true. The extensive menu, the little nuances in the sauces, and the tableside plating elevate this restaurant to the top. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014Al's is fantastic! Food and service are the best in St. Louis - anywhere. Impressive menu, can never decide because it all looks and sounds wonderful. Whatever I order it is always cooked perfectly and the sauces are divine. At Al's they always kick it up a notch to be a truly special dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulRednaxDined on 10/9/2014Wonderful service. Wonderful food. Wonderful ambiance. No complaints.Special Features:
- You Have To GOSteakisgreatDined on 9/26/2014Al's is a St. Louis Institution. It is THE Steakhouse in St. Louis. It's historical. The food is fantastic and the service matches. You have to revel in the experience, the menu is presented to you and your meal is prepared how you wish. There are a ton of options. I'd suggest doing a little bit of "scouting" before hand by looking at their menu online. That way you won't be intimidated by the dizzying array of options when they are presented to you. Every occasion is special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTableDinerSince2012Dined on 9/26/2014Had a wonderful dinner at Al's. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable on the menu. The food was fantastic, perfectly cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SIMPLY AMAZINGOpenTableDinerSince2009Dined on 9/20/2014Packed house tonight and this place was running like a Swiss watch. The food was prepared to perfection and the service was awesome. The river boat bar is a must see. Will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great dinner at Al'sMarthaSTLVIPDined on 9/19/2014We brought a group of 8 business associates to Al's for dinner on Friday 9/19. We were in a private room and our food and service were excellent. I would recommend that everyone who lives in STL or is visiting make a trip to Al's to experience a piece of STL Riverfront history.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistenly GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Appreciate that Al's is always consistently great. No where is lobster bisque any better. The service is gracious and attentive. I recommend putting Al's on your must dine list!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014Everything was great, very fresh and so visually appealing. Sat in the lounge to enjoy their Tuesday specials, then dined in their main dining room. Al's is a fusion of old world classic meets elegant refinement; the atmosphere is light and fun, not stuffy. Extra touches place Al's ahead of the rest. Blackened salmon with Cajun pasta was wonderful. Staff and owner were friendly and engaging. Will be back soon!Special Features:
- Al's ALWAYS Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Tried the mixed grill - combo of all my favorites - filet, lamb chop and bacon wrapped scallops. My friend tried the Italian dinner. Both equally excellent, and both very reasonably priced. I was stuffed, but couldn't pass up the Bananas Foster. The whole experience is decadent. It's always a great evening at Al's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As Good As It GetsGeorgeMDined on 9/12/2014Friday night out and Al's was the perfect spot to savor an excellent steak. NY strip is outstanding and the Italian potatoes are the best. At Al's you get all the amenities and extra touches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PHENOMENALOpenTableDinerSince2011VIPDined on 9/11/2014Phenomenal dinner tonight as always at Al's. The Sea Bass and New York Strip were terrific as was the rest of my meal. We tried their signature Cosmopolitano cocktail and it was over the top. Everything tonight was and has always been phenomenal and over the top at Al's. We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable-will be back!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Really enjoyable dinner. AL'S was recommended by a friend and I was impressed from the moment I walked in the door. The décor is unique, yet elegant and inviting. Food is wonderful and the service was very good. The little touches like the blue cheese spread, sorbet palette cleanser, and their signature menu tray put this restaurant a notch above the rest. Lots of amenities and special touches that is only found in a local, family owned restaurant. Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SUPERBOpenTableDined on 9/6/2014It was rather crowded tonight. The food was magnificent, the table side service from the tuxedo clad waiters was grand and the decor was elegant. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best Steak & Bourbonluv2dineDined on 9/5/2014Was looking to jump start the weekend with a great steak and a couple of bourbons. Al's NY strip was a very generous 16oz, well-marbled, so flavorful specimen, it rocked the evening. Simply paired with their house salad and over stuffed twice baked potato I enjoyed every single bite. I'm a fan of Blanton's and you get a very decent pour at Al's. Some friends joined me in the bar after dinner and I think we closed the place down. Both Harold and Bob were great and we will definitely be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nobody Does It Better Than Al'sOpenTableReviewDined on 9/2/2014I'm a 3rd generation Al's patron. My grandparents and parents took me to Al's and now I take my family to Al's. Through out the years, Al's has always stayed consistent by serving the freshest and most flavorful food that money can buy. Their mussels appetizers cooked in mustard dill sauce bring your taste buds alive. I just love the dressing they put on their salads and their tender melt in your mouth cuts of beef. I really love their beef apricot and beef burgundy filets. They are full of flavor and tenderness and I can almost cut them with my fork. For my side dish I usually order their huge twice baked potato. Dessert? Take your pick. Souffle, bananas foster, double thick chocolate mouse cake, ice cream and more. Will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- St. Louis' FinestOpenTableDinerSince2009Dined on 8/30/2014Definitely the top Fine Dining restaurant in St. Louis. Our steaks and seafood were cooked perfectly to order and the overall service was outstanding. The detail put into the design of their bar including the mural on the walls of the Mississippi River in the 1800's is incredible. It was rather busy tonight but the entire evening came off without a hitch. Try their lobster bisque soup, it is amazing. We will absolutely be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Al's is CEO and Celebrity CentralOpenTableDinerSince2009Dined on 8/29/2014When going to Al's be prepared to dine with someone you'll probably never get to see up close and personal. For a decade I've worked for one of the largest employers and Fortune 100 companies in STL. I've never seen my CEO up close and personal until I went to Al's. I was totally blown away! Al's is my favorite restaurant of all times. The food, service, ambiance and it's high profile clientele is what keeps me coming back. Not only have I seen some of the most notable athletes, movie stars and politicians, I recently saw Augie B at Al's who I had only seen on TV in his past beer commercials. So I figure if Al's attracts this type of crowd then the food, service and everything else must be the best, putting me in first class company.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST FOOD & DINING EXPERIENCE EVEROpenTableDinerDined on 8/27/2014I had the best dining experience of my life tonight at Al's. The salad with the house vinaigrette was light and seasoned to perfection. I used their delicious pumpernickel bread that they serve to sop up the rest of the dressing. My steak romano was just perfect and I consumed every last morsel of it and even though the portions are very large, the taste made me crave for more. My side dish was Italian fries again a very large portion and delicious as well. To top of the evening I ordered their bananas foster which was prepared table side and I must say it again, it was the best I have ever had. I finished the evening off with a glass of Cognac in their riverboat bar which in itself is a sight to see. Al's is a must go to destination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Steaks and SeafoodOpenTableDinerSince2008Dined on 8/26/2014We had an enjoyable evening tonight at Al's. Our steaks and seafood were excellent as was the dinner salad that comes along with your entree at no additional charge. We love everything about Al's especially it's rich St Louis history and the fact that the 3rd and 4th generations of the same family still runs and owns it. We plan on having our company's Christmas party at Al's again this year. Our employees just love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AL'S, BEST 5 STAR RESTAURANT EVER!OpenTableDinerSince2008Dined on 8/23/2014Aug 23 was our 25th anniversary and wanted to surprise my hubby with the best 5-star restaurant in St. Louis. Al’s was the perfect venue for this occasion; menu selections & excellent wait staff are 2nd to none. Our drinks, apps, salads, entrées, desserts & after-dinner drinks were all 1st class. You’ll never find a better restaurant anywhere. The atmosphere was vibrant, full of patrons enjoying the evening but we still felt the attention & intimacy of private dining. Our lobster thermidore and beef apricot were absolutely delicious. Al’s preparations and sauces add complexity and dimension, which is unique to Al’s and can’t be found at cookie-cutter steak chains. Never disappointed, Al’s integrity of food & service is always consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Bad Resteraunt7StlVIPDined on 8/23/2014We have lived in St. Louis for almost 7 years, and have eaten at most of the reviewed restaurants in Zagat an Open Table. I can safely say, this was our worst meal we have ever had in 7 years. The staff is very nice, and the service was awesome. The real issue was the food. The appetizers were greasy, the salads were bland, the entrees were tasteless. For a 300.00 dinner, I would recommend any restaurant but Al's. There is no question that it is a matter of time before it is closed. Its a shame, because it has a lot character. Just not no substance. Even the steak chains such as Mortons and Ruth Chris, are at least 1000 times better. And I dont love the chains. Please, do spend your money, you will feel taken at the end.
- Delicious Gourmet JourneyOpenTableDinerSince2012Dined on 8/22/2014Al's is a steak lover's and foodie’s dream. You're dazzled with a wealth of selections all equally tempting and all eloquently verbalized by the seasoned wait staff. At Al’s they know their stuff which shows in the attentive service, but not too much, and the incomparable food. Al’s is classic and timeless, but with enough of a unique twist that it’s never stuffy or boring. My goal is to go back enough to try everything on the menu at least once – it may take a while but it will be a super delicious journey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A PERFECT EVENING AT AL'SOpenTableDinerSince2012Dined on 8/21/2014Must say that if you look up the word "perfection" in the dictionary, you will see a picture of Al's Restaurant in downtown St Louis. Everything from beginning to end was just perfect. The evening started out with valet parking and as soon as I was seated they brought out fresh Artesian breads with a blue cheese spread which is just out of this world! I ordered a Manhattan which was made just right. My appetizer was their creamy lobster bisque soup which is the best you will ever have anywhere. My salad was delicious, the sorbet between my salad and entree was a touch of class, my steak and lobster thermidore were extremely fresh and cooked to order and my "free" birthday desert was a double fudge chocolate cake. I will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Al's, it's a NaturalOpenTableDinerSince2011VIPDined on 8/20/2014Headed to Al's after work for their mid-week Wine Wednesday. It's always a treat to unwind with their extraordinary food, great classic drinks and half-off wine. Tried beer battered lobster and wow, fantastic. Even though I really like their regular house salad with the zippy Italian dressing I went for the Caesar; it's freshly made tableside and paired great with the lobster. The great thing about Al's is their high standard of excellence for food and service and since my office is downtown it's a natural for a drink, dinner date, or to impress a client. And believe me, my clients are always impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Al's Was Great!OpenTableDinerSince2011VIPDined on 8/19/2014After reading the review from THEDICK dated 07/19/2014 on OT I just had to go to Al’s because of all of the great things I have always heard about the place and since THEDICK did not even eat there I took his review as someone who most likely was way in over his head and not used to a fine dining establishment. I must say that I was very surprised that OT even allowed someone who did not even eat at a restaurant to post a review. To bad for Tony's if THEDICK actually went there. Since I actually ate at Al’s it was the best meal and experience that I have ever had. Everyone was dressed nicely when I was there and the service was prompt and courteous. I just loved the ambiance of this historic St Louis landmark. I will be back soon.Special Features:
- A Fading Gem?Sooner2UVIPDined on 8/12/2014We tried Al's in spite of the less positive reviews and can appreciate the differences in opinion after dining there. The service was outstanding but the food failed to live up to the more positive reviews. The menu includes a wide variety including steak, seafood, lamb, pork and chicken with a great selection of side dishes. The appetizers and salads were very good but the main course failed to live up to the great start. We had the filet and lobster combination. Unfortunately the steak (one cooked well and the other medium) were both dry as was the lobster which was also a bit tough. Possibly the steak and lobster weren't as fresh as one would find in a restaurant with much more business.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JDMJRVIPDined on 8/9/2014Very, very busy night and obviously understaffed, but the staff that was there pulled it off and our first time guests were impressed. Great food as always.
- Would have been cool in the 1950'sGreenerDined on 8/2/2014Quite a dated place and menu. I can appreciate classic establishments; However, this place was quiet and had a stale feel to it. The food quality wasn't reflected of the price point.
- The following 334 reviews are from the Al's Restaurant reviews archive.
- OpenTableDinerSince2012Dined on 7/24/2014Went to Al's for dinner and had a great experience. The Lobster Bisque is the best I have ever had hands down. It is filled with chunks of lobster and it is nice and creamy. I wold definitely recommend ordering it when you go. For my entree I ordered the filet. The filet was cooked perfectly to how I ordered it and it just melted in my mouth. The service was great and my server was very attentive making sure my drinks were filled and that everything was to my liking. I will be back, hopefully very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Al'sMollyB2744VIPDined on 7/23/2014Great food and service. The food especially the steak, ranks in the top fives best, I have ever had. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features: