Aloha Sushi Lounge & Hawaiian Grille
7731 Fay Ave
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Aloha Sushi Lounge & Hawaiian Grille
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.alohasushilounge.com/
- Phone: 8585515000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 3:00pm, Friday - Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese, Hawaiian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Fireplace, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: From a Luau to big or small party to off-site sushi chef, Aloha Sushi Lounge can create an authentic sushi bar experience for your next party.
- Private Party Facilities: Have your next celebration, social gathering or corporate event at Aloha Sushi Lounge. We offer private cabana area and banquet menus for parties of 15 up to a full restaurant buy out.
- Private Party Contact: Tony 8777935228
A word from Aloha Sushi Lounge & Hawaiian Grille
Exciting, progressive culinary concepts and a relaxing, resort-style ambience has combined to Aloha Sushi Lounge as a dining must in San Diego area. One mere glance at Aloha Sushi Lounge's menu, featuring Asian Fusion dusted with Hawaiian influences, you will see that you are in for an incredible meal. Additionally, Aloha Sushi Lounge features traditional sushi offerings while fully embracing the "new wave" philosophy of sushi, which utilized non-traditional ingredients and techniques to produce sushi specialties that come bursting with an exciting new assortment of taste sensations. Aloha Lounge's tropical decor, highlighted by spacious cabana seating in their outdoor patio, not only lends the perfect complement to their delectable cuisine, it also provides the ideal backdrop to indulge in one of their many fine sakes, wines and sojus. Located in La Jolla and situated mere blocks from the legendary coastline, Aloha Sushi provides a local escape that is deliciously refreshing.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Aloha Sushi Lounge & Hawaiian Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (3)great for lunch (3)neighborhood gem (2)fit for foodies (1)kid-friendly (1)good for groups (1)romantic (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Different and specialSushiPrincessDined on 7/18/2014Went dining at Aloha Sushi Lounge with a friend. Really liked it, it's different from other Sushi Places, like the atmosphere, large patio for outdoor dining options. Very friendly staff and large selection of sushi rolls as well as other items. Food tasted great, tried a few different sushi roll options as well as fried calamari and had the chocolate cake for dessert. Prices are very reasonable, they also have a large Happy Hour selection.Special Features:
- A Little (or a LOT) for EveryoneHunger4TheCupVIPDined on 7/3/2014Aside from boasting a wide range of offerings, all of which our group of 8 found delicious, this place is easy on the wallet. This was a last minute "sushi" search in La Jolla. I was most blown away by the portions for the price...very un-La Jolla-like, which most restaurants in the area lean toward being overly proud of themselves. I ordered the Teri-beef sandwich, which came with mac salad and fries. Quite frankly, the 'sandwich' was two of what would be considered a normal sandwich. I'm not ashamed to admit that it was so good, I wound up eating all of it. To consider that one can sit down and get that for $7 at lunch time (it's a $2 upcharge for dinner) tells me this place will see my shadow again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- diverjDined on 7/1/2014The sushi was very fresh....and the shrooms were outstanding.....! a must try when u go. good value for the $$. Will b back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disgusting restarauntOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014I made reservations around 6:30 and when we got there the pictures on the website were nothing like the actual place. It was disgusting. Everything was dirty and the seats looked like they belonged on an old boat that has been sitting in one spot for 20 years. Nothing was clean, the cloth was dirty, tables were sticky, menu's were sticky. Overall this place was gross and needs a health inspector to come through. I do not recommend this place to anyone.
- The following 221 reviews are from the Aloha Sushi Lounge & Hawaiian Grille reviews archive.
- Really disappointedJayzeeDined on 5/3/2014I had been there before with on a Tuesday night & thought the place was really cute & food was good. I went back for an anniversary dinner. Food was mediocre at best, service the same. Probably never going back
- Happy HourSFLibDined on 4/19/2014Extended Happy Hour! And good menu selections. Have loved this restaurant for 7 years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines DayLoganDined on 2/14/2014Worst experience I have ever had. Service was horrible and the food was old. Ruined my valentine dinner.
- terrible serviceih8alohasushiDined on 2/14/2014Had a reservation for 2 on Friday night at 8PM. About 20 people standing in line, hostess nowhere to be seen. Restaurant is half empty and staff super thin (only saw 2 waiters) and super slow moving. The hostess finally shows up after about 5 minutes of standing around and I ask her if every one in line has reservations and she seemed to have no clue as to what was going on and seemed super confused. Restaurant overbook reservations, I would not recommend this place to anyone.
- Walked out for the first timeMattDined on 2/14/2014It was Valentine's Day, and we had a party of 12, but we were seen once by a waitress in 40 minutes and did not have drinks, water or the appetizers that we had ordered. Given the fact that we didn't see our waitress for the 25 minutes that we were waiting for our drinks, we figured it was a lost cause and left. Hopefully, this is not the norm there, but I would not go to this restaurant. I am not a typical bad reviewer - I have never walked out of a restaurant before and have never written a bad review, but this was the worst dining experience I can remember.
- Absolute worst service everJerridDined on 2/14/2014I made a reservation for 8:00 on Valentine's day. My fiancé and I arrived at 8:00 sharp and waited 15 minutes in line just to see the hostess. When we got up there, she ranoff for a couple of minutes. When she returned she asked what time our reservation was, seemingly uninterested in the response. Then she mumbled some other words and whisked us off to a table. We sat, and waited another couple of minutes for her to find one bent beat up menu that I guess my fiancé and I were supposed to share. So my fiancé and I wait for our server to come around to order some drinks.... By 8:40 we still hadn't even been offered so much as a glass of water. We had a movie to catch at 945, so we dipped. I don't even think they noticed we had left.
- Worst experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014I was very excited for my husband and I to be able to go out to dinner for Valentine's day. I had high hopes for Aloha Sushi lounge. It looked beautiful online and I thought it would be the perfect place for a romantic dinner. I was very wrong! The hostess was extremely flustered and seemed like she didn't know what was going on. We waited about 30 minutes to be seated ( even with a reservation) and an additional 30 minutes at the table and not one person had approached us or acknowledged us. By this time it was 9pm and we were starving so we left to find somewhere else to go. Three other tables around us also left. It was the worst restaurant experience and valentines day I've ever had. I was disappointed and will never go there again.
- Valentine's Day ThreesomeTime4SecondsDined on 2/14/2014We were late starting looking for dinner on Valentine's Day. We were not sure about this place ... since every other place was booked after 5:00 and before 8:30. Also there were mixed reviews about the service. We booked the 7 PM seating requesting a cabana. We were So pleasantly surprised at the entire experience. The cabana seating was great. The wait staff was just fantastic. Even on Valentine's Day the service was very pleasant and prompt. People are too hard on waiters and waitresses when they are just trying to serve you as best as they can. The filet was the best I've had since K.C. over 30 years ago. Great cut and cooked to perfection! Best of all my wife .. and her sister .. were very pleased .. We will be back soon!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014My reservation was at 7pm but since I'm not from the la jolla area I didn't realize the traffic and was about 10 mins late. On my way to my reservation I noticed I was running late so I called aloha sushi to let them know I'll be a little late and they said "it's okay". When I arrived, the waitress told me it would be a 30 minute wait so she will put my name down. What's the point of a reservation? Also it's valentines day, it's not like I could just go to another restaurant, everywhere else is busy that's why people make reservations. When I asked her if it will be more then 30 minutes she said "I probably shouldn't come back". After escalating the issue to the manager they sat us in the cold outside with a weak heater.
- overall was fair, averageepguruDined on 1/24/2014overall was fair, average food and an slightly above average price
- This place is nice, this wasRS1986Dined on 1/22/2014This place is nice, this was our second time there. The first time (about 6 months ago), we were there on a date, and we were the only ones there. Service was great (and personal) but it was kind of weird sitting in an empty restaurant. Last week was our second time there, we sat at the bar, because no other seat was available other than the ones farthest in the corner, and it smelled like fish everywhere. The sushi chefs were accommodating and service was good on their end, but the waitress was below average. We had to search for her to order things, she sat us down and our food came before she brought us utensils, we had to ask for napkins, and brought the check without a pen, so we had to track her down for that.Special Features:
- SUSHI SO FRESH AND SO GOODsashimiloverDined on 1/20/2014Great place to dine at! First time dinning here for restaurant week and love it. Will come back to sit in one of the cabanas. The rolls was very good and the Sashimi was the freashest that I had in a long time. The waitress was very friendly and helpfull. Will come back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi didn't seem very freshOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/9/2014Sushi didn't seem very fresh and the vegetable tempura was too heavily battered. The wings were a little undercooked and the waitress took forever to get us the check.Special Features:
- Second time there. InterestingbenhereDined on 1/6/2014Second time there. Interesting variation on you basic sushi. You won't be disappointed. Only one persons working the tables on a Monday night, but it was very efficient.Special Features:
- Are we bothering you?MistreatedDined on 11/23/2013There was a large party and the restaurant should have been closed. We were treated as if we were an inconvenience. Servers were distracted and appeared to not know their own menu or how to write down who ordered a beer and who ordered saki. There is not enough space in this review area to describe the numerous failings.
- First time!BirkieDined on 11/10/2013Excellent choices for rolls, sashimi and plates. Happen to catch Happy Hour which had great discounts of drinks and appetizers. I sat at the sushi bar and was given one on one service from the chef, and table service from the lovely hostess. Will absolutely return here again. GREAT value for large rolls, and large hot sake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Club AlohaJer77Dined on 11/6/2013If you want the nightclub experience along with sushi then this is a place for you. Girls wear short booty shorts service takes forever even when it's not busy and food portions are not very big. Sushi quality and presentation was par. We ordered oyster shooters in two separate occasions during our meal each time took over 15 minutes. There was only a total of six customers in the restaurant (that's including my wife and I )with two sushi chefs ....don't understand why everything took so long. Definitely not be recommending or coming back ...had high hopes. Especially for being in La Jolla.Special Features:
- The restaurant is average WeCowboyVIPDined on 9/29/2013The restaurant is average We were the only people eating there at 7:30 and they forgot part of our dinner so had to wait Not our usual Open table experience!
- so prettyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/20/2013Such a pretty place and the food is good too! Coco shrimp amazin! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week Experienceeplanner998Dined on 9/15/2013The restaurant seemed a little dirty and very very quiet. They have a great patio area though. Sadly it was too cold but I would have definately sat out there, weather permitting. The food was alright nothing too crazySpecial Features:
- Love the ambiance of thislovetoeatDined on 9/11/2013Love the ambiance of this restaurant, especially the private cabanas. Friendly service. Sushi chefs were informative and presented the food well. We had the Kalomari, Tidal wave roll, Jalapeno Roll, and Miso Salmon. We enjoyed our meal and would return again to try other items.Special Features:
- High quality sushi and Great CabanaSushiLover1Dined on 9/11/2013We love the baked Lobster roll and the Jalpeno roll. The servers were great. We enjoyed the sushi and cabanas and will plan to visit here again.Special Features:
- CabanasbirthdayDined on 7/27/2013I love going to Aloha Sushi for the ambience. You can reserve one of their cabanas for your meal and have a private, quiet experience. Or, you can sit on the patio and watch the people go by, or you can sit inside at the sushi bar for those who like the bar setting. The food is good and our server was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Busy With No ServiceLaJolla1VIPDined on 7/3/2013Showed up for dinner around 8:00 p.m. The night before 4th of July and was only one of three diners there. Two servers were working that evening and we sat outside. Waited 5 minutes for menus watching one of the servers bussing a table that just left. Is that more important than tending to a new table? Anyways, finally got our menus and she took our drink order right away. That was a plus. However, 10 minutes passed and the server never came back. We were starving and thirsty so we just left and went to Zenbu across the street. Eaten at Aloha before and food was great so I was bummed to have missed this opportunity to eat there again. Probably will never go back because service was not there even though they were not that busy at all.Special Features:
- Not as good as it used to be2foodloversDined on 5/30/2013They need a real sushi chef. Our last 2 experiences at the Sushi Bar were very disappointing. The women making the sushi does not understand us or the waitresses. We keep getting wrong orders.
- So horrible!LisaDined on 5/25/2013This was the worst restraunt I have ever been to! I went with 5 friends and we all walked out extremely angry!! The waitress had no idea what she was doing, the chef Was yelling and screaming at her, and then two of My friends never recived their food! When my friend Went to complain the chef began yelling at her!! It was so Ridiculous !! This place should be shut down!
- The wait staff was friendly.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/25/2013The wait staff was friendly. However; the preparation and delivery of the food was quite long. We ordered 3 items that we shared. Our first entree was a salad it took 25 minutes. Then the rest of our entrees came out at the same time, shortly after the salad. It would have been nice to have received the salad a lot earlier. There weren't that many customers in the restaurant. We had a voucher with Living Social. We tried the restaurant for a different locale and something new. My husband and I decided we won't come back.
- Great Food - needs more employeesBrossonDined on 5/12/2013I bought a LivingSocial deal for this restaurant. I took my wife for Mother's Day. I was aware of the awards it had won for best sushi. I can confirm that the sushi specialty rolls (we had the Pizza, Rock Lobster, Tidal Wave rolls) are fantastic. Unfortunately, they were severely understaffed so even though our waitress was apologetic, gave us a free round of drinks and garlic edamame (which was fantastic by the way) it took almost an hour after ordering our first roll before we got it. There was 1 sushi chef working and that wasn't even close to enough. If they had a couple more chefs I think the experience would have been greatly improved. If you don't mind a wait, the food IS great and you could get free drinks or edamame ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dont waste your timetiff0203Dined on 5/11/2013We got there at 7:30 on a Saturday night & if we wouldn't have made our reservation they would have turned us away, like they did to the 2 couples that were ahead of us & you could clearly see that there were open tables on the patio &inside. They didnt have a host so we waited for 10 minutes before one of the staff came to the host stand & acknowledged us. When we were finally seated it took 15 minutes for our drink order to be taken & 10 for it to actually come out. The table of 4 people next to us had been waiting over an hour for just their appetizers! Not to mention that the food was just mediocre definitely not worth the wait. I have worked in many restaurants & this is no way to run a business & expect to have repeat clientele
- Aloha Sushi and Hawaiian GrillecandyDined on 5/10/2013Aloha Sushi and Hawaiian Grille is a nice place in a great location. There are outdoor and indoor seating as well as private cabanas. The atmosphere is conducive to conversations, but also lively. We ordered teriyaki chicken that came with a side salad and macaroni and island sushi. Both were flavorful and tasted fresh. We ended our meal with fried banana and vanilla ice cream, which had just the right amount of sweetness and the portion was perfect for sharing with someone. Our server was friendly, but had the challenge of attending to customers since there were only two waitresses that evening. The wait was long. The management certainly did not prepare for the volume of customers, otherwise, we would have had a wondering time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday failAnohaDined on 5/10/2013I went there on a Friday for my birthday, with plans for going out after. We had a reservation for 8 and we were seated right away. We ordered drinks first and we didn't even get our water until about 25 minutes in. It took at least 40 more minutes to get our drinks and get to order our food. They rarely checked on us and we didn't get our food until about 2 hours in. The whole thing took around 3 hours.
- Recommend - great foodShortness0014Dined on 5/4/2013First time here. A little awkward when walking in; no host area to approach but someone seated us within 10 secs. Pretty good service. Waitress came to refill water twice after we were done eating but did to bring check; had to ask. They mixed up cut roll for hand roll; quickly resolved matter in friendly and professional manner. HIGHLY recommend their kalomari (not fried calamari; its seasoned differently on their menu). Not too saucy, sweet or spicy. I was in love with it. Went on a Saturday night around 8 and it was pretty empty. Their (not sushi) bar area was cute, but no one was there for drinks, order or make. Tables inside are slightly a little too close for comfort. Food was great! Service was good. Recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have bee to Aloha SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/21/2013I have bee to Aloha Sushi a few times in the daytime and loved the ambiance. However, I went at night and noticed that without sunlight and happy dinners (it was slow in the evening as compared to busy in the daytime), it looked a little worn. It needed some perking up like fresh flowers on the table or candles or something to give it a great atmosphere like there is in the daytime. No matter when you go, the food is amazing! You won't be disappointed. Great customer service too.Special Features:
- Service was REALLY slow forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2013Service was REALLY slow for my table... But everyone around us got their food n drinks before n we sat first... But the sushi was excellent... The mixed drinks needed to be stronger.... Lol... But our experience that night might lead to another round at ALOHA SUSHI!!! Gots to try the meals this time!!!!Special Features:
- Great Place For DatesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Took my gf here for Valentines day and I had no regrets. I reserved a cabana on the phone and was not told of the minimum required purchase until I arrived. The waitress was not very attentive, but I didn't mind that she wasn't popping up every few minutes to make sure we were fine. When I needed attention, I simply made eye contact and was attended to. I had no regrets and I will be going back when I'm in the mood for good vibes and romance :)Special Features:
- Good bar, eat before you arriveOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Staff was not ready for the holiday crowd. Food took over an hour from the time we ordered to making it to our table. Once it arrived at the table the food was cold, I assume this wasn't an issue with the kitchen, but an issue with the wait staff bringing the food to the table once ready (only an assumption). Even if the food was warm it was just ok, nothing I couldn't prepare better at home. The drinks were the only above average item on the menu that was ordered and priced well. I would recommend the bar, but not the food. This could have been romantic and a fun place to spend the evening if it wasn't for the long wait for cold (should have been hot) below average food.