46-42 Vernon Blvd.
Long Island City, NY 11101Neighborhood:
Long Island City
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.alobarnyc.com/
- Phone: 7187526000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Tuesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Wednesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:30am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ian Kapitan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Jeff 7187526000x
A word from Alobar Restaurant
Alobar is that great neighborhood restaurant, the one where you can go back again and again and find something creative and new every time. Where you know there are quality ingredients because every ingredient came from less than 200 miles away, and you can ask which farm it came from. Alobar delivers on creative food including home-made salumi, charcuterie, and preserves in addition to beautifully composed small and large plates. And keeping with the neighborhood vibe Alobar gives you such warm & welcoming service and atmosphere that makes you feel like you have a home away from home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Alobar Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Long Island City ›
Alobar Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (27)fit for foodies (21)great for brunch (12)good for groups (11)romantic (10)great for lunch (7)special occasion (5)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2014food is well-prepared and fresh, friendly, atmosphere. very good neighborhood venueSpecial Features:
- FoodieVIPDined on 9/13/2014What a find. Fantastic food in a cute restaurant, with outstanding service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/11/2014great staff, made the evening special, the food was excellent, and Erin made the night fery personableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- more good food in LICei8htohmsDined on 9/7/2014Went there with colleagues from out of town on a Sunday night and enjoyed the great food and ambiance. Although the music was slightly loud and rocking for dinner and the server quite dropped the ball on timing the end of service (he let us sit with dessert menus for easily 5-10 minutes and the place was not crowded), the overall experience was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodva2nyfoodieDined on 8/30/2014I went because of the maple bacon popcorn and it exceeded expectations. We also had the ribs, mussels and tomato salad which were all very good. The only disappointing thing was no kids menu for dinner. And no choices for our child on the existing menu. We'll be back, just not for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would go again.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/17/2014I was disappointed because Alobar showed on a list of LIC restaurants with waterfront views. A friend suggested the area for brunch. Me being new had no idea that there seem to be less than a handful of those. But, the peanut butter and banana french toast with rum caramel was fabulous. Everyone was happy!Special Features:
- Too LouddianefeVIPDined on 8/15/2014This is a great place for people who don't want to talk to each other at dinner. The music is way too loud. The waiter couldn't hear our order and got it wrong.
- Neighborhood favoriteChantboyVIPDined on 8/14/2014How many restaurants have a country paté sandwich and pickled peaches? And they can make a perfect vodka martini.Special Features:
- Great brunch, okay dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014I celebrated my anniversary here with my husband for Sunday brunch. We started with a Bloody Mary each. I had the regular one and my husband had the Mezcal (which was good, he loved it, but it was too smoky flavored for me). Then we had their delicious beet and goat cheese salad followed by the Salmon Benny (so good) and the Mushroom Toast, which had an amazing flavor combination. Service and food were both awesome for brunch. The dinner experience could have been better. The waitress could have been more attentive. I originally ordered the Skate, which I didn't like because it was too fishy but my husband's duck was good. The appetizers, a "breakfast-for-dinner" special consisting of ravioli and a fried egg, and a tomato salad were justok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this placeSedeVIPDined on 7/18/2014I don't really do reviews, but I wanted to make time for this specific restaurant because it was awesome!! The food was fantastic (some of the best we've had EVER (and I'm a chef and my husband and I are food fanatics), and the service was outstanding. The chicken and grits were outstanding, the maple bacon popcorn was ridiculously good, and the gnocchi was delicious and rich. We definitely ate too much, but it was worth it!Special Features:
- MikeDined on 7/13/2014Passed by this restaurant many times and finally had the opportunity to dine here. The experience was very nice, great food very attentive service staff and was moderately priced. Overall a good experience and I would recommend to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best in hunters pointMorgmjDined on 5/31/2014I never leave this place without first thanking all of the chefs. The good is simply amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 153 reviews are from the Alobar Restaurant reviews archive.
- When in L.I.C. -- Eat at AlobarChefPfHDined on 5/23/2014My requirements were specific - a Bib Gourmand rated restaurant, in Long Island City, with suitable options for the vegetarian in our party. Alobar did not disappoint! I highly recommend it. We started our evening with drinks & beer (all very good) with selections from the charcuterie and pickled veggies menu. (The curried pickled asparagus were particularly good.) We opted for a couple of small plates each instead of large plates. They were served in proper order (Salad/veg plate first, protein second), at a good pace. Everything was tasty & attractive. Desserts were decadent (Bacon/Chocolate Bread Pudding) or funky (Fruity Pebbles Ice Cream) - all very good. Decor was comfortable casual. Server professional. Noise level a bit high.Special Features:
- Delicious & hard to get a 2nd drinkOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2014The food is great. The atmosphere is delightful. The cocktails and flight options on the bourbon list are fantastic. Why can't I get a server to my table? Our group would have had at least one more round of drinks, not to mention another round of small plates, if we just had a server stop by at some point. Weird.Special Features:
- every item was deliciouskaren4984Dined on 5/3/2014i'm happy if all the food is adequate and one or two dishes is outstanding. at alobar the other night, _everything_ was exceptional. the "wright stuff" cocktail was tasty and unique, the potato gnocchi were _out of this world_, the hangar steak flavourful and perfectly cooked, and the oregano dressing on my boyfriend's salad that i tasted was _delicious_. there were no weak points in the entire meal! the owner also stopped by our table to ask about our experience. he really cares about providing a great dining experience and it shows.Special Features:
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/15/2014We had the new spring menu. Roasted beets, samal ribs, and bacon maple popcorn were equally fabulous appetizers. Mussels and pork schnitzel as mains also rocked. We loved every dish plus great cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for all typesDiningWith2VIPDined on 4/6/2014This spot in Long Island City is perfect for foodies, for families, for people who love a great trip to the bar. So many fine food selections and dozens of bourbon options to match! When you go, don't forget the Alobar -- the perfect S'mores deconstruction that tops every dessert.Special Features:
- deLICiousMegsVIPDined on 4/6/2014Unique and delicious takes on brunch. Great space, had always assumed it wouldn't be kid friendly given ambiance when you walk by and the menu. I was pleasantly surprised they not only accomodated the stroller, but the chef provides fresh baby food! Try the mushroom toast and Alobar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect matchLCDBDined on 4/2/2014I was looking for good american cuisine with local food and craft beers without too much trendy hype and was pleasantly surprised to find this great restaurant. LOVED IT!Special Features:
- Amazing spot in LICOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/29/2014Absolutely delicious fare with an unbeatable, relaxed atmosphere and friendly, warm service. I've come here twice and if I lived closer, i would be here weekly. Bring a date, bring your best friend, bring a group for a birthday or other celebration, Alobar is the best place for it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for brunch!GabyDined on 3/15/2014Great brunch!! Very warm and welcoming atmosphere. Staff was friendly and accommodating. Food was just as I expected. Love the the French toast:)..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/2/2014Love this place. They started out strong, and every change they make brings new improvements. Happy to have them in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood SpotsuebDined on 2/26/2014Great service, interesting menu-food was delicious. Check out the pickles- We tried the pickled apples and pickled curried cauliflower-very delicious. The roast chicken was outstanding. The staff is friendly and attentive. An excellent dining experience.Special Features:
- Horrible service, Twice in a row!NoahVIPDined on 2/23/2014I've been to Alobar twice, both times with dreadful service. This time, as a party of 9, our waiter badly screwed up two orders, and dishes didn't come out on time. When we asked for hot sauce, we were told that they only had chipotle Tabasco. That doesn't even make sense! No Frank's, Cholula, Sriracha, or even normal plain Tabasco? The waiter seemed aloof and confused. The whole experience was brutal. Food was very good, but none of us are likely to return.
- The food and beer pairingsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014The food and beer pairings were wonderful. Went here for a valentine's day dinner. All the courses were spot on but I would skip desert if I were to do it over.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines DinnerJJT610Dined on 2/14/2014Place was sold as a gastro pub on open table but the Menu lacked any such food. Just another place with small portions and good food. I will never go back especially after eating, drinking and leaving hungry, all for a mere $150. This next comment if for opentable and not resturant: if a resturant t is having a special menu for any reason I think the user should be notified prior to setting a reservation because Alobar had a limited menu for valentines day.
- I really enjoyed this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/10/2014I've never been here before but i decided to go here because it was on the Michelin bib gourmand list, which is a list of good restaurants with reasonable prices. The place was really good. The food was excellent and moderately priced. I personally would recommend the mussels and the duck con-fit. I also enjoyed the Riesling I had there as well. I think this place is just new enough that it's still under the radar,but i'm expecting good things for this restaurant going forward. Would definitely consider coming again if i'm ever back in LIC.Special Features:
- Alobar BrunchGaryDined on 2/9/2014food and service was excellent. There was no "brunch" menu; so all orders are ala carte. which is a bit unhandy. The music was quite loud; but when asked if it could be turned down, staff immediately complied. Brunch there is recommended!Special Features:
- Great BrunchCharlotteDined on 1/26/2014Had a great brunch here over the weekend! The mushroom toast and eggs were great, as were the bloody marys. Service was great, and the restaurant had a great atmosphere. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I walk past this restaurantEjoyceDined on 1/25/2014I walk past this restaurant daily so decided that as I lived in the area I would go there for my birthday dinner. The food was awesome the best crackling on the pork belly ever. And it doesn't sell the usual branded beers more individual offerings which was nice. My only criticism would be on the cocktail menu which wasn't extensive and was slightly unusual with the one cocktail we ordered being extremely strong. Aside from that, this is definitely a restaurant I would recommend and go to againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Chef, new food, new attitudeOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/19/2014Food has gotten a facelift and new energy with the new kitchen staff. Great food, inventive specials and good service, one can't really ask for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousjmhshotDined on 1/12/2014Food was good - second time I've been here and it definitely met by expectations again. Wild mushroom toast was delicious as was the battered bacon. Some of the folks in my party ordered BLTs though and the chef forgot to put tomatoes on them. They were also out of french toast that morning. Otherwise though, great brunch spot and super kid friendly.Special Features:
- great new year's eve specialkaren4984Dined on 12/31/2013i went to alobar last year for new year's eve-- their special menu for 2012/2013 was a beef wellington for two. one of the best things i ever ate! this year 2013/2014 they had a hard time topping that perfection from last year, but they came close with a new york strip steak/braised short rib duo. amazing! i told the manager they should add that short rib to their regular menu as it really is outstanding.Special Features:
- LIC meat focusChantboyVIPDined on 12/28/2013Very good steak tartare, great wine deal, super crispy pork belly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spotJuleSpanoDined on 11/30/2013Lovely little gem with interesting food combinations. Ambiance is warm, cozy and inviting, as it the friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulStlgeneVIPDined on 11/7/2013Had a superb meal. Very affordable. Great place, nice ambiance. Service was perfect. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/3/2013Great local spot, good food, good service and chill atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem of LICLICGuestVIPDined on 10/30/2013This place is incredible. Quiet, but all of LIC is at night. The food was what did it. Honestly amazing and unexpected for the city. The beer list was also fairly impressive for a place that doesn't call itself a craft beer bar. One way or another, you need to try the food here. And the S'mores dessert bar will have you drooling in your dreams.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little priceysenorericVIPDined on 10/17/2013We went the other night for dinner and we had only been there for cocktails - we like one of the bartenders and they have cool drinks. BUT, we decided to go for dinner and we thought it was a little pricey - probably won't go back to eat. We can eat just as well at other places on/near Vernon for a little less. We ordered the grilled octopus appetizer and it was fine but really small and it was $14! A little over the top....... Overall, good food and great place, though!Special Features:
- Disappointed this time :-(AnnaDined on 10/16/2013I have been recommending Alobar for a long time as one of the best restaurants in LIC. I went there recently for dinner and was disappointed by the food. My favorite Mac n' Cheese with bacon/pork was removed from the menu so I ordered the risotto thinking it was the same risotto I had a few months ago. It wasn't. I should have looked at the description on the menu more closely. I ate because it was OK and was very hungry. The service was great!!!Special Features: