24 East 21st Street
New York, NY 10010Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://almayassnyc.com/
- Phone: 2124733100x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch : Monday to Sunday 12:00 PM Last Order 3:00 PM
Dinner: Monday to Wednesday and Sunday 5:30 PM Last Order 10:30 PM
Dinner: Thursday to Saturday 5:30 PM Last Order 11:30 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Lebanese
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access
A word from Almayass
"There is no sincerer love than the love of food"Continued
The essence of Almayass is best described
"...when the hanging leaves dance to the rhythm of delicate breeze."
The essence of Almayass is best described
"...when the hanging leaves dance to the rhythm of delicate breeze."
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Almayass - Best Restaurants in Gramercy / Flatiron ›
Almayass reviews from OpenTable diners
112 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (68)good for groups (58)neighborhood gem (47)special occasion (43)romantic (32)great for lunch (26)notable wine list (16)kid-friendly (11)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (5)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- lovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Must try their fattoush and shish kebab. Haloumi was a tad dry but deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service, excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014Some of the best service I have ever had. Food was absolutely deliciousSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/18/2014This place has the friendliest staff of any restaurant I have been to. My friend was cold and they brought her a scarf and told her to keep it. The four of us enjoyed many of the hot and cold appetizers and was so full we did not have any main courses. Favorites for me, the fattoush, humus with meat, the sausage, the traditional mantee. All where nicely prepared and nice portions. We asked the waiter for recommendations and was pleased with the selections. And to top it off, rose sorbet, was delicious.Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/17/2014Excellent Lebanese-Armenian food! I'm Armenian and my mom is a phenomenal cook and the dishes here live up to her cooking! We go here for every special event. Worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PitpatPitpatVIPDined on 10/14/2014Mediterranean dishes beautifully prepared and served by knowledgable waiters at. This delightful restaurant well located close to Union Square. The food was delicious and included the best hummus we had ever eaten. The lamb and chicken dishes which we ordered were perfectly cooked. We shared several dishes recommended by our waiter all of which were excellent and the price was very reasonableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014Another fabulous dinner! Food, wine and service always of the highest level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just WonderfulAnneWhoDined on 10/7/2014The many great reviews are well deserved. The food was delicious and the service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's always a pleasureTamaraDined on 9/28/2014I've had dinner here on different occasions and every time it's better than last. The food is amazing. The wait staff is very helpful in helping you make a choice of what to order in case you're not familiar with an Armenian or Lebanese cuisine. Some of the items they have on the menu are very close to the home cooking I grew up with. It's a real treat to have a restaurant with an authentic Armenian cuisine.Special Features:
- All about the food!FeedmeVIPDined on 9/28/2014The title says it all, this place is all about the food. The food is amazing!Special Features:
- Outstanding!RRoyalDined on 9/23/2014Top class restaurant that never disappoints. The food, decor and general ambiance are stunning. Service is always impeccable- warm, very friendly and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looking to rememberMACSRDined on 9/20/2014Having had an Armenian grandmother known among her peers to be an excellent cook, I'm always interested in finding a restaurant that congers up memories of enjoying her Armenian specialties as a youth and young man. I looked to Almayass to provide such memories. What I found was a very lively establishment which delivered on the food, but had some flaws. First, we had to wait fifteen minutes for a table after arriving on time for our reservation. The noise level was such that I had to lean over the table to hear my wife, and then wasn't always successful. Service was friendly, but sporadic. I would go back, but might do so on a weekday night rather than the height of a Saturday evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Lebanese foodkbnyVIPDined on 9/20/2014I had been to Almayass before & will say I was a bit disappointed. Many pieces of toasted bread in basket were actually burned on one end, Almayass salad seemed overdressed. Labneh Toom and Mouhammara were very good, the sauteed Halloum was OK and the bronzini was OK. Nothing really stood out as I remember it did when I was last there about 18 months ago. Also, it was very noisy. I will probably go back in hopes it was just an "off" night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceEmmaVIPDined on 9/19/2014Finally a good Lebanese restaurant with a different medtrainean dishes. Service was great and the manager personally came and checked on us. A great touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpectedly GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Went there because I've been to Lebanon a few times and I am always around the Arabic culture. I also have a friend who is Armenian, so we all wanted to try this Lebanese-Armenian spot. The food was AMAZING. A lot of the food looked and tasted authentic, which was a plus. If it wasn't authentic Lebanese, it still tasted great. Definitely recommend this for friends looking to hang out and binge-eat. They also have a great lounge area that is good for drinks before dinner if you're on a date because they have some comfortable seating and it's easy to talk.Special Features:
- wonderful restaurant in NYClovetotravelDined on 9/12/2014I googled Armenian restaurants in NYC and found this one. The restaurant is beautiful inside. The service was outstanding. The food was delicious. We liked it so much that we went back a second night. I would definitely recommend this restaurant if you like Lebanese/Armenian food.Special Features:
- Fantastic, deliciousfoodieinnycDined on 9/9/2014The food was perfect. Melt-in-your-mouth flavours that keep you coming back for more. Bravo, bravo to the chef. Having grown up with middle eastern food, I know what it is supposed to taste like--my grandma would LOVE the recipes! The service was fantastic and the owner delightful. I would highly recommend this to everyone.Special Features:
- Upscale LebaneseJannVIPDined on 9/5/2014Lovely room, comfortable seating, attentive service and very good food. The one disappointment-they were out of Giant Prawns by 7:30pm on a Friday night but alternate selection of frog's legs was flavorful.
- Great Vegetarian optionsLT11VIPDined on 8/30/2014I loved the vegetarian options on the menu. As a vegetarian, it was quite exciting to see how much they offered! Other than that, I thought the cocktails were intriguing but after getting mine, i was very disappointed. It was all ice, and what was left included very little alcohol. For the price, it was not worth it at all. I also thought the pita bread on the table was quite dry. yukk.
- great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014we were greeted in a very cordial and warm way by the owner and the serving staff. The staff is very knowledgeable about the lebanese food. We had kebabs, hummus, fatush and hummus. We also had the mantee which was outstanding. don't leave without trying the pistachio dessert which was out of this world. We had the noor cocktail which was also very well made. we will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Just wonderfulRefinedGentlemanVIPDined on 8/30/2014If you are a fan of Armenian and Lebanese food, you are in for a treat. Unlike so many Middle Eastern spots that are brown and too old country, Almayass was sophisticated, engaging, professional yet authentic. I took my family there for a birthday dinner; our check for four was about $200 with tip (no alcohol) for five appetizers, a mixed-grill kebab and chop entree we shared among us and a delightful dessert. I would go again for a special occasion but it might be pricey for an ordinary night out.Special Features:
- Amazing food!RadDocVIPDined on 8/29/2014The food was exquisite and the service was top notch. We went to this restaurant with a vegetarian couple and we all found ample amount of delicious vegetarian and non vegetarian options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely restaurantgrandmaVIPDined on 8/22/2014This is a beautiful restaurant with delicious middle eastern food.Special Features:
- Ambience and Great CuisineVICKYIIIDined on 8/21/2014We enjoyed the special cuisine, beautifully served and presented. The staff was accommodating and filled all our special requests. The variety of ways the vegetables were served in Lebanese/Armenian style was the highlight of our luncheon as were the desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- debbie6754VIPDined on 8/9/2014We went to this place because a had a coupon from Blackboard Eats. We were pleasantly surprised. What a nice place. High end. Great staff. Interesting food.Special Features:
- AmazingScotieVIPDined on 8/8/2014Great food and atmosphere. Very attentive to customer without being annoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/6/2014I took my girlfriend to the restaurant on her birthday and she fell in love with everything Almayass has to offer!!! The decor, the server, the cook, the manager!!! They sang her happy birthday and handed her a birthday card... im sure they don't do that for everyone but they definitely made her night special. Outside of the service, we ate the best (no exaggeration) Lebanese outside of my girlfriend's mothers kitchen!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencematasanoDined on 8/1/2014We have been there many times. The food is excellent, middle eastern fusion. The staff is very attentive and knowledgeable. Highly recommended it.
- Excellent foodSamoDined on 7/31/2014AlMayass is a great place to dine at ,excellent food and service friendly and attentive staffSpecial Features:
- Exceptional service & amazing foodAnArmenianGemDined on 7/29/2014This is a gem of a restaurant. The exquisitely prepared food balances modern cuisine and old-world recipes. Some dishes remind me of my grandmother's cooking. The variety of wines, arak and full bar menu compliment the meals beautifully. Along with the complex flavors and wonderfully prepared dishes, comes exceptional service. The staff is friendly, very attentive and always ready to assist in any way they can; all led by a remarkable manager, Mario. A great place for intimate dinners, a family affair or a group outing. Don't miss this place if you're visiting NYC, and if you're a local, mark it as one of your favorite spots in town.Special Features:
- Lebanese Armenian food at its bestArturVIPDined on 7/29/2014Its not only the food but the whole experience: the staff, the cleanliness and the setting all contribute to this exceptional placeSpecial Features:
- A magical eveningDuncanHVIPDined on 7/27/2014Everything about Almayass was wonderful. We had a special family dinner for a table of six and it was a magical evening. This is genuinely authentic Lebanese food at its finest. The setting is enchanting and the service is exemplary. The wine list is excellent and do not be afraid to try the Lebanese wines. Ask your waiter for advice in selecting a Lebanese wine. Our waiter was attentive and charming. We followed his suggestions and liked everything. To cap off a wonderful evening, order the angel hair-like spun sugar desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seeking ArmenianRalphDined on 7/26/2014We were looking for Armenian fare before our daughter goes to Armenia on an assignment. The menu had numerous Armenian specialties and waiter was very helpful with recommendations from cold and hot meze through entrees. Family style facilitated experimentation of dishes. The food was fairly priced but the wines were a bit pricy. A large group swept in as were finishing and consumed the wait staff and raised the decibel level considerably. Sit toward the front to avoid the larger groups. Altogether an enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Lebanese FoodFoodingCountessDined on 7/25/2014This is the second time for our family at this restaurant, within a month. We were impressed with the ambiance and decor. So well done, you won't realize that there are no windows! The service is excellent. Very professional and accommodating. The menu gives you a wide range of middle eastern appetizers. We tried many of our favorites and were pleasantly surprised. One or two misses - but we gave our host our opinion and it was graciously received. The food is fresh and tasty and for those of us familiar with the the region and have had our grandmothers' cooking it comes close.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almayass is Flatiron FindfussyfoodieVIPDined on 7/24/2014A real find this Flatiron oasis offers delicious and authentic dishes at reasonable prices. The service is gracious and attentive and the atmosphere serene despite capacity crowds. A generous offering of small dishes provide a plethora of culinary delights. Don't overlook the Lebanese wines.Special Features:
- Mumpers1VIPDined on 7/23/2014The evening we were there the restaurant was packed with large parties of 6 and more. They seemed overly stressed and although servers were pleasant the service was extremely slow and broken up. Food was just so-so. Strangely it was only a weds night. I couldn't tell if problem was in kitchen or front of house but our experience was nothing like previous reviews. I also found the lighting very bright . We were there at 8 pmSpecial Features:
- FolgieDined on 7/21/2014The staff is very attentive but not intrusive. Restaurant has a nice decor. It is quiet and spacious. Food is very tasty and fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LebaneseJLJoVIPDined on 7/17/2014The manager , Mario , runs a very smooth , attentive ,well conceived , Lebanese restaurant operation ! The dishes use the best sourced , freshest ingredients and burst forth with perfectly spiced , very representative Mediterranean flavors . From mezes to entrees to a fun wine list that included great Lenanese choices to desserts , we constantly , pleasantly surprised !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LFinleyDined on 7/15/2014I immensely enjoyed eating here. As a gluten free/dairy free diner, it can be hard to find restaurants who are educated and open to fulfilling my dietary needs. Almayass had gluten free bread so that I could eat the spreads, and our waiter pointed out the different menu options that fit my needs. Outside of their amazing service, their food was delicious and the restaurant is beautiful. Will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful SpotRMukh1977VIPDined on 7/15/2014Loved everything about this place... hospitality, food, great wine selection, friendliness of the servers and the owners. Left a great impression and I will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- elsinnycDined on 7/14/2014We have been to this restaurant restaurant many times, and every time it is delicious and the service warm and attentive. Our current NYC favorite.Special Features: