24 East 21st Street
New York, NY 10010Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://almayassnyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 473-3100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch : Monday to Sunday 12:00 PM Last Order 3:00 PM
Dinner: Monday to Wednesday and Sunday 5:30 PM Last Order 10:30 PM
Dinner: Thursday to Saturday 5:30 PM Last Order 11:30 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Vegetarian, Lebanese
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: We offer Catering options to parties larger than 10 guests. Please inquire for further details and a personalized proposal.
A word from Almayass
"There is no sincerer love than the love of food"Continued
The essence of Almayass is best described
"...when the hanging leaves dance to the rhythm of delicate breeze."
The essence of Almayass is best described
"...when the hanging leaves dance to the rhythm of delicate breeze."
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Almayass - Best Restaurants in Gramercy / Flatiron ›
Almayass reviews from OpenTable diners
112 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (76)good for groups (59)neighborhood gem (48)special occasion (45)romantic (30)great for lunch (22)notable wine list (14)kid-friendly (8)hot spot (7)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/19/2014amazing food. great service. would definitely go back! highly recommend the mint tea!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PTJPTJVIPDined on 11/18/2014I ordered hummus Almayass. It was good. For entrees I chose a square of phyllo dough with melted cheese and a dish of meat ravioli topped with yogurt. The former was flat, but the latter was outstanding. The dessert consisted of "creamed milk" between two "vermicelli pancakes" and topped with "cotton candy." It was certainly the strangest thing I have ever eaten and it was delicious! Service was inconsistent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT PLACE FOR DINNERadynutza1976VIPDined on 11/17/2014LOVE THIS RESTAURANT EVEN THOUGH WAS OUR FIRST TIME EATING HERE WE WERE IMPRESSED WITH THE SERVICE AND THE FOOD AND I AM NOT WASY TO BE IMPRESSED.I HAVE TO SAY THAT I HAD A SUPER GREAT COCKTAIL ( IN A MARTINI GLASS WITH STRAWBERRIES)=WAS DELICIOUS....SO HAIL TO THE BARTENDER. WE WILL BE BACK FOR SURESpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Birthday DinnerlivlovesfoodDined on 11/14/2014This restaurant was a hidden gem. You walk in and it looks small but as soon as you're guided back to the main dining area it is absolutely beautifully decorated and it really feels like you may be in the middle east. The service was over the top sweet and took excellent care of my mom and I. We even got delicious baklava and a giant glass of strawberries as a surprise for my moms birthday. The owner came over at the end of our meal to introduce himself and ask about our experience which is a rare occurrence and greatly appreciated. The food was delicious and authentic and I will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great! (except for the music)fascinatedVIPDined on 11/12/2014The music is a parody of what you would expect. We heard Volare twice. We heard loud versions of music that Bill Murray might sing on Saturday Night Live. We heard bad Italian restaurant music. And after six or seven songs, the playlist started repeating... And the waiter wouldn't turn it off or even down. It was punishing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful restaurantMrsTeaDined on 11/8/2014Food was perfect. Familiar and non familiar dishes all wonderfully prepared. Service was wonderful as well. Waiter was knowledgeable and helpful in guiding our order. We will definitely return and recommend to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Lebanese in NYCGGBShortHillsVIPDined on 11/8/2014Hands-down, the best Lebanese restaurant in NYC. Fantastic surroundings, excellent food and attentive service make for a memorable dining experience. Don't miss the Kibbe Nayeh, the Kafta with Cherries and the Armenian-influenced dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hummus!!PorkchopVIPDined on 11/6/2014I had the Hummus Almayass - it was very tasty and had great texture.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodDodieDined on 11/5/2014Loved this place. Authentic fresh and delicious. Great service tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lebanese Armenian Food!Dzeitoun33Dined on 11/4/2014What a great restaurant and excellent service by Alidz, Mario, Fahad and Carlos. Authentic Armenian food that reminded me of home and my Grandmothers/Mothers cooking. Must have in Manhattan for the best Lebanese/Armenian food around and don't forget to try the basturma w/quail eggs and the soujoukh flambé cooked table side, w a nice glass of arak of course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid all aroundHorseshowattendeeDined on 11/2/2014We went with the waiter's recommendations and also experimented with some dishes with which we were not familiar. We were very pleased all around. The service was outstanding. The general manager even made a point of introducing himself and making sure we were satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014Very nice restaurant ambiance with friendly attentive service, but in my opinion about 30% overpriced for what it its.Special Features:
- blondemamaVIPDined on 11/1/2014This was our first visit to this restaurant. Not only is it beautiful, but the food is delicious. We ordered some of the suggestions made by our waiter. We were not disappointed. The food was different from most of the other mediterranean style foods I have come across. Service was good. This is definitely a place that I would try again. This was a birthday celebration for my daughter who was very pleased with this choice.Special Features:
- good service, fine food, formaljpfitVIPDined on 10/29/2014The food was good but didn't impress, service attentive, the ambiance is formal
- Excellent in every sense.ArmenDined on 10/26/2014This is not the first time I am in Almayass, so it is not as easy to impress me. But food, staff and service are indeed notable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome spot!McD37Dined on 10/24/2014I chose to come here after checking out the menu and reading some great reviews. The fact that OpenTable offered 1,000 point reservations for this spot at 10:15 on a Friday night was a bit surprising to me, but I booked a table anyways. I'm glad I did! Unfortunately, my party was running a bit late, but the staff was very accommodating and we did not feel rushed at all. The servers were very knowledgable and provided great recommendations for my family. We ordered six appetizers and two entrees for three adults and one child, and we still had some of one entree left over. (Which we brought home, of course!) The restaurant was a hit with everyone in my party, and we appreciated the attentiveness of the waitstaff. We will undoubtedly return.Special Features:
- lovelyfoodieinnycDined on 10/19/2014Must try their fattoush and shish kebab. Haloumi was a tad dry but deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service, excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014Some of the best service I have ever had. Food was absolutely deliciousSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/18/2014This place has the friendliest staff of any restaurant I have been to. My friend was cold and they brought her a scarf and told her to keep it. The four of us enjoyed many of the hot and cold appetizers and was so full we did not have any main courses. Favorites for me, the fattoush, humus with meat, the sausage, the traditional mantee. All where nicely prepared and nice portions. We asked the waiter for recommendations and was pleased with the selections. And to top it off, rose sorbet, was delicious.Special Features:
- Delicious!LousDined on 10/17/2014Excellent Lebanese-Armenian food! I'm Armenian and my mom is a phenomenal cook and the dishes here live up to her cooking! We go here for every special event. Worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW!eatgoodfeelgoodDined on 10/17/2014Favorite restaurant, one of the greatest experiences I ever had in NY. Service is outstanding, the staff were friendly and attentive. Even the manager approached our table to check on us, very kind. The food is superb , flavorful and perfectly prepared. Great ambiance and decor, i highly recommend this place. Good to have a nice family dinner or a romantic evening. The space is great for groups even private events! More than satisfied, must try it !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PitpatPitpatVIPDined on 10/14/2014Mediterranean dishes beautifully prepared and served by knowledgable waiters at. This delightful restaurant well located close to Union Square. The food was delicious and included the best hummus we had ever eaten. The lamb and chicken dishes which we ordered were perfectly cooked. We shared several dishes recommended by our waiter all of which were excellent and the price was very reasonableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014Another fabulous dinner! Food, wine and service always of the highest level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just WonderfulAnneWhoDined on 10/7/2014The many great reviews are well deserved. The food was delicious and the service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's always a pleasureTamaraDined on 9/28/2014I've had dinner here on different occasions and every time it's better than last. The food is amazing. The wait staff is very helpful in helping you make a choice of what to order in case you're not familiar with an Armenian or Lebanese cuisine. Some of the items they have on the menu are very close to the home cooking I grew up with. It's a real treat to have a restaurant with an authentic Armenian cuisine.Special Features:
- All about the food!FeedmeVIPDined on 9/28/2014The title says it all, this place is all about the food. The food is amazing!Special Features:
- Outstanding!RRoyalDined on 9/23/2014Top class restaurant that never disappoints. The food, decor and general ambiance are stunning. Service is always impeccable- warm, very friendly and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looking to rememberMACSRDined on 9/20/2014Having had an Armenian grandmother known among her peers to be an excellent cook, I'm always interested in finding a restaurant that congers up memories of enjoying her Armenian specialties as a youth and young man. I looked to Almayass to provide such memories. What I found was a very lively establishment which delivered on the food, but had some flaws. First, we had to wait fifteen minutes for a table after arriving on time for our reservation. The noise level was such that I had to lean over the table to hear my wife, and then wasn't always successful. Service was friendly, but sporadic. I would go back, but might do so on a weekday night rather than the height of a Saturday evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Lebanese foodkbnyVIPDined on 9/20/2014I had been to Almayass before & will say I was a bit disappointed. Many pieces of toasted bread in basket were actually burned on one end, Almayass salad seemed overdressed. Labneh Toom and Mouhammara were very good, the sauteed Halloum was OK and the bronzini was OK. Nothing really stood out as I remember it did when I was last there about 18 months ago. Also, it was very noisy. I will probably go back in hopes it was just an "off" night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceEmmaVIPDined on 9/19/2014Finally a good Lebanese restaurant with a different medtrainean dishes. Service was great and the manager personally came and checked on us. A great touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpectedly GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Went there because I've been to Lebanon a few times and I am always around the Arabic culture. I also have a friend who is Armenian, so we all wanted to try this Lebanese-Armenian spot. The food was AMAZING. A lot of the food looked and tasted authentic, which was a plus. If it wasn't authentic Lebanese, it still tasted great. Definitely recommend this for friends looking to hang out and binge-eat. They also have a great lounge area that is good for drinks before dinner if you're on a date because they have some comfortable seating and it's easy to talk.Special Features:
- wonderful restaurant in NYClovetotravelDined on 9/12/2014I googled Armenian restaurants in NYC and found this one. The restaurant is beautiful inside. The service was outstanding. The food was delicious. We liked it so much that we went back a second night. I would definitely recommend this restaurant if you like Lebanese/Armenian food.Special Features:
- Fantastic, deliciousfoodieinnycDined on 9/9/2014The food was perfect. Melt-in-your-mouth flavours that keep you coming back for more. Bravo, bravo to the chef. Having grown up with middle eastern food, I know what it is supposed to taste like--my grandma would LOVE the recipes! The service was fantastic and the owner delightful. I would highly recommend this to everyone.Special Features:
- Upscale LebaneseJannVIPDined on 9/5/2014Lovely room, comfortable seating, attentive service and very good food. The one disappointment-they were out of Giant Prawns by 7:30pm on a Friday night but alternate selection of frog's legs was flavorful.
- Great Vegetarian optionsLT11VIPDined on 8/30/2014I loved the vegetarian options on the menu. As a vegetarian, it was quite exciting to see how much they offered! Other than that, I thought the cocktails were intriguing but after getting mine, i was very disappointed. It was all ice, and what was left included very little alcohol. For the price, it was not worth it at all. I also thought the pita bread on the table was quite dry. yukk.
- great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014we were greeted in a very cordial and warm way by the owner and the serving staff. The staff is very knowledgeable about the lebanese food. We had kebabs, hummus, fatush and hummus. We also had the mantee which was outstanding. don't leave without trying the pistachio dessert which was out of this world. We had the noor cocktail which was also very well made. we will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Just wonderfulRefinedGentlemanVIPDined on 8/30/2014If you are a fan of Armenian and Lebanese food, you are in for a treat. Unlike so many Middle Eastern spots that are brown and too old country, Almayass was sophisticated, engaging, professional yet authentic. I took my family there for a birthday dinner; our check for four was about $200 with tip (no alcohol) for five appetizers, a mixed-grill kebab and chop entree we shared among us and a delightful dessert. I would go again for a special occasion but it might be pricey for an ordinary night out.Special Features:
- Amazing food!RadDocVIPDined on 8/29/2014The food was exquisite and the service was top notch. We went to this restaurant with a vegetarian couple and we all found ample amount of delicious vegetarian and non vegetarian options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely restaurantgrandmaVIPDined on 8/22/2014This is a beautiful restaurant with delicious middle eastern food.Special Features:
- Ambience and Great CuisineVICKYIIIDined on 8/21/2014We enjoyed the special cuisine, beautifully served and presented. The staff was accommodating and filled all our special requests. The variety of ways the vegetables were served in Lebanese/Armenian style was the highlight of our luncheon as were the desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.